On Your Marks Events
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 53s
Overall Rank = 88/260
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 23/55
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am, ate some homemade granola with nuts. Drove over and met everyone at Carol's. Left Carol's about 5:15am, got to Pleasanton around 6am. Setup transition area, attended first-timers speech (not all that helpful).
Event warmup:

none.
Swim
  • 15m
  • 700 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

not entirely sure of how long this took, but I wasn't too far back in the pack. I was surprised at how calm I was, given previous open water experiences. Strangely, having people around me helped. The only problem was that I wanted to pass a couple times and also found it hard to keep my head down until we passed the second buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not hang *quite* so far back at the start. Then I wouldn't get so boxed in.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I'm guessing the time. I wore my suit the whole way, so just put on my bike shorts quickly & got my shoes on. This felt good and quick, tho I didn't have a split. The only thing that might be better would be to get lace locks.

Lace locks.
Bike
  • 56m
  • 16.5 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my strongest part of the race. I took the bike easy since I didn't want to blow it for the run. Also, I was psyched that the swim was over and I could now enjoy myself. I caught Sarah & Carol on their mountain bikes late in the ride (~mile 14?) then passed them. My bike computer said it was only 16.8 miles, but the race coordinators said 18 miles.

Try it a little faster? Maybe, but in general this felt good. In general, this was a flat, fast course.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Pinning the number on my suit was impossible with my heart rate that high. I wasted at least a minute with my hands shaking. Other than that, I didn't have to do much since I didn't have to change my shoes.

Get a belt for the number or pin my # to a tank top before the race, then put that on.
Run
  • 36m
  • 4 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

It was still pretty cool for the run. My left ankle/calf was hurting from the ride, but I put it out of my mind. I tried to start & stay slow for fear of running out of gas. Lots of women passed me in the beginning of the run, but then it evened out. Carol & Sarah caught me about a mile into it & I told them to keep going. By the end I was still feeling good and surprised myself with an all-out sprint to the finish with 25 yards to go. Maybe I saved a little TOO much. ;)

I'd like to train to run at a faster pace and get comfortable with a more effortful run. I think I could have done the run a little faster. Maybe practice in some 5k's?
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with Aaron, Carol & Sarah about how great our first tri experience was. It turns out we 3 girls ended up with very similar times, but probably our splits were very different.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was my first, so I'm happy with it. Can't wait for the next one!

Event comments:

The race was good for me as a beginner -- not too hard or too intimidating. Maybe next race I'll pick one where I get my splits or I'll invest in a good stopwatch.

Last updated: 2004-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:00 | 700 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/260
Performance: Average
I'm guessing at the time.
Suit: two piece
Course: Beach to first buoy was less than 1/3 of length, then second buoy, then back to beach. The last leg was the longest, or at least felt like it. Until 2nd length, it was still crowded. Navigating was easy due to lots of people. Rounded close to buoy.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:00 | 16.5 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:00 | 04 miles | 09m  min/mile
I'm guessing the time from my total, minus my bike time.
Course: Mostly flat, with 4 small hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-20 1:18 PM

User image

New user

Danville, ky
Subject: Tri For Real

2004-09-21 7:52 PM
in reply to: #64141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Tri For Real
Hey Jennifer, great race!!! That bike pace is amazing!!! Great job!! I thought that you must be a guy, when I looked at the times. Nope, sure enough, us ladies are starting to kick booty!! :-)
2004-09-22 1:26 PM
in reply to: #64141

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: Tri For Real
Great race, Jennifer! I kept thinking, hey I've done that race before... then I looked at your profile and see that you too hale from Berkeley, CA. Good to have you on the boards. Let us know if you are interested in any group training. Approx. 6 of us are heading down to the Wildflower site in October to do some training. It would be great to have you there.

Of course, you'll leave me in the dust with your bike time (and your run time... ok let's face it... entirely behind) but if you don't mind, I don't!!

Congrats!!

Dana
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri For Real Rss Feed