BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-12-14 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL

NAME: Eliwashere- First Name- Elias, but I go by Eli

STORY: I am a lifelong recreational athlete. I swam in summer leagues, played football, wrestling and lacrosse in high school, rugby in college and then...got fat. I ran sporadically after college (1995) but it never really stuck.
In 2001 I got motivated to run a marathon and ran Disney that year. I also discovered that being fit would help me keep up with my child. Since 2006 I have been running regularly and re-discovered triathlons in 2007-2008. I really enjoy the multi-sport aspect of triathlon and the fact it doesn't wear my body down quite as much as just running. I also like the level of interaction at the races. I find that the community is very friendly and am even looking into becoming a coach.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one child. Wife runs marathons

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train 5-6 days a week. I would guess I average about 5 hours a week. I try to keep at least one race on my schedule in the next 3 months to stay motivated.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Goofy Challenge, ING Miami 1/2 marathon, Gator 1/2 Iron Triathlon. Looking for an Oly in the first half of the year.

2009 RACES:  2009 was a GREAT year for me. Ran the Goofy Challenge at Disney, ING half, volunteered at a few sprint Tri's, joined a local training group, MS 150 bike ride, Keys Ultra relay, 2 Local Sprint Tri's, Escape to Miami Olympic, Marine Corps Marathon, Miami Man 1/2 Iron, Ragnar Relay Florida. Whew, it was a busy year.

WEIGHTLOSS: Finally lost some weight this year. Went from around 225 to 210, which pushed me into a much more competitive Clydesdale division. I am hoping to get down to 200 this year, although I haven't weighed that little since High School. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I have seen and done a lot in my time as a recreational athelete. I am also a voracious reader and love to research a topic. I spend a fair bit of time lurking around BT, and I am not shy about posting. As a recent Tri convert, I am also very interested in sharing my experiences and helping others enjoy it as much as I do. I work from home and am online quite a bit, so it is easy for me to be responsive.

Edited by eliwashere 2009-12-17 7:50 AM

2009-12-15 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2558725

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's Group-Open
Wheee, I am live.
Just FYI for anyone interested, if it seems like I did a lot of races, I did, but most of them were local, or at least in state.
Also, I am slowish. I am motivated, love to train, and am looking to work on my speed this year.
2009-12-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2560936

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
Hello, there

I would love to join your group.  My name is Giancarlo.  Last year I started training in january and completed my first Spring Tri in June.  It was scary and great all at the same time and as I have gotten away from the experience I really miss the training.  I started at 265 pounds (I am 5"10) and got down to 222.  But as the summer ended so did my hardcore training and I am in jeopardy of seeing all my progress go out the window.  I want to start training again for a some tri's this spring and summer.  I want to do an open water sprint first and work my way from there.  (my tri last summer was a pool swim)

I was never a runner, swimmer, or cyclist but I find I enjoy all three especially the biking. 

More to come as I figure out specific races to enter
2009-12-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2562375

User image

Master
Giancarlo,
Welcome! Glad to have you.
I can relate to the feeling that your first tri is "scary and great all at the same time." I still feel that way at every race.
Are you doing any training right now to help maintain your base?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
2009-12-16 1:00 PM

Regular

I would like to join your group, my name is Jack.  I started training last year and did two sprint Tri's one in August and one in September.  I am type II diabetic, 6' tall my starting weight was 265 in February down to 243 now.  I'm really struggling with weight loss though.  I have been married for 29 years and will be 56 years old in March 2010 so pretty sure I will be the old man in the group.

My goals for 2010 are to do and Oly distance hopefully in May, improve my runniing, lose weight, and get off the Diabetic medicine. 

I have a great place to train I work on an Air Force Base, so there are indoor pools and tracks as will as outdoor pool and trails to use here on base. 

2009-12-16 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
I'd like to join your group. 

I'm not a beginner, per say, as I've done quite a few sprint triathlons but I've never attempted to do anything longer and am finally going to do some Olympic distance ones and a 70.3 (Augusta 70.3).

I was a competitive swimmer up through college (though wasn't all that fast).  I was a sprint freestyler so I have a very pretty stroke so even though I hate swimming long distances and am very slow, I can do it pretty efficiently.  I've competed in a couple of other sports too (Taekwondo and softball).

My weakness is running so I joined a running group to motivate me and I plan on running my first half-marathon in March (and my longest race to date has been a 5k).

I'm married with two boys (4 and 1).  I'm planning on doing my first Olympic distance triathlon in May (Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl) and then have the Augusta 70.3 the end of September.

- Katie

Edited by crazyalaskian 2009-12-16 3:17 PM

2009-12-16 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2562542

User image

Master
Jack54 - 2009-12-16 1:00 PM

I would like to join your group, my name is Jack.  I started training last year and did two sprint Tri's one in August and one in September.  I am type II diabetic, 6' tall my starting weight was 265 in February down to 243 now.  I'm really struggling with weight loss though.  I have been married for 29 years and will be 56 years old in March 2010 so pretty sure I will be the old man in the group.

My goals for 2010 are to do and Oly distance hopefully in May, improve my runniing, lose weight, and get off the Diabetic medicine. 

I have a great place to train I work on an Air Force Base, so there are indoor pools and tracks as will as outdoor pool and trails to use here on base. 

Jack, welcome aboard!
Wow, that is a great start to do three tri's in your first season. Also, nice to see some weight loss. As a fellow 6 footer, I know how much difference that kind of weight loss makes.
Oly in May certainly sounds doable, do you have one picked out?
Have you kept up a base of working out since your last tri?
Which  base do you work at? My wife was an officer in the Marine Corps, and I took advantage of the bases in Hawaii when I was a dependant.

Almost forgot to ask-Have you talked to your Dr. about what it would take to get off the diabetes medication? I think that is an AWESOME goal! Congrats on starting that journey.

Edited by eliwashere 2009-12-16 5:03 PM
2009-12-16 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2563017

User image

Master
crazyalaskian - 2009-12-16 3:16 PM I'd like to join your group. 

I'm not a beginner, per say, as I've done quite a few sprint triathlons but I've never attempted to do anything longer and am finally going to do some Olympic distance ones and a 70.3 (Augusta 70.3).

I was a competitive swimmer up through college (though wasn't all that fast).  I was a sprint freestyler so I have a very pretty stroke so even though I hate swimming long distances and am very slow, I can do it pretty efficiently.  I've competed in a couple of other sports too (Taekwondo and softball).

My weakness is running so I joined a running group to motivate me and I plan on running my first half-marathon in March (and my longest race to date has been a 5k).

I'm married with two boys (4 and 1).  I'm planning on doing my first Olympic distance triathlon in May (Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl) and then have the Augusta 70.3 the end of September.

- Katie

Katie,
Welcome!
Sounds like you are pretty motivated. I did a similar progression from sprints to and OLY to an HIM.
I found the OLY and HIM much harder from an energy management perspective than the sprints, but REALLY enjoyed the training.
What kind of slow are we talking on the run?
Depending on your times on your sprints, you will find the Half marathon a little harder. More time and more pounding from the running. However, it feels great to finish one!

I have heard Augusta is nice. Are you already signed up?
2009-12-16 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
I'd like to join, with my wife too!
NAME:  Steve (EvenOlder)

STORY:  Last year was my first year with triathlons.  History of casual weightlifting to keep in shape.  Failed miserably, went to 230lbs.  Turned 36, decided to take control, rode a bike for 3 months and did my first sprint.  Hooked, went on to do 7 more.  Sharon, my wife did 2 with me.

FAMILY STATUS:   Married with 2 boys (6 and 4), 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, fishtank.  Why does my wife want a zoo?

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm 6'1", 200lbs right now.  I plan to race sprints this year as a clyde, so I'll need to stay at 200.  Maybe an end of the year oly, and I'll see about going AG next year.  I'm aiming for 3-4 hours per week.

2009 RACES:  Check my log, the 8 races are listed there.  Took 1st in my last race.

2010 RACES PLANNED:  SRQ Y TRI, Gainesville TriGator, St. Pete Escape Ft. Desoto, Sebring Heartland Tri, St. Pete Morton Plant Mease, SRQ Siesta Tri, Boca Grande Boca Bop.

WEIGHTLOSS:  See above Training Notes

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER:  I love to post, love to talk details, love gear, love training.  Had a great experience in a mentor group in the spring.

My wife will be applying here as well in a bit.
Thanks,
steve

2009-12-16 5:32 PM

User image

New user

Hi 
I am really looking forward to this year's season!  My husband (evenolder) had a great experience last year with his mentor group so here I am.   Last year while he was becoming more and more addicted to triathlons, I had a scare with high blood pressure and started biking/altering my diet - all of this worked - After completing 2 sprints, I am a bit slow on the uptake but plan to race in several sprints this year and to lose some weight too.

I'm 37,have 2 boys- 4/6- and am a stay at home mom. 
Right now, my focus is on strengthening my run.  I am comfortable in the water and on the bike but hope to improve speed over the next season.

I am still very new to training and general consistency.  Motivation from a mentor group will be the key to keeping myself on track!
Thanks,
Sharon
2009-12-16 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2563211

Regular
Thanks I'm really looking forward to this.  I also plan on doing the Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl in May like Katie.  Yes... I have been doing training since my last event.  I plan on really working on my running, that's my weakest event.  I did a 5k a couple of weeks ago. 

I have consulted my doctor hopefully as I lose weight I can get off the meds. Have only been on them for a year. 

I will try to add you to my training log, new to all this if I have a problem will ask for help.  Have only been tracking training for a few months. 

2009-12-16 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2563270

User image

Master
EvenOlder - 2009-12-16 5:12 PM I'd like to join, with my wife too!
NAME:  Steve (EvenOlder)

STORY:  Last year was my first year with triathlons.  History of casual weightlifting to keep in shape.  Failed miserably, went to 230lbs.  Turned 36, decided to take control, rode a bike for 3 months and did my first sprint.  Hooked, went on to do 7 more.  Sharon, my wife did 2 with me.

FAMILY STATUS:   Married with 2 boys (6 and 4), 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, fishtank.  Why does my wife want a zoo?

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm 6'1", 200lbs right now.  I plan to race sprints this year as a clyde, so I'll need to stay at 200.  Maybe an end of the year oly, and I'll see about going AG next year.  I'm aiming for 3-4 hours per week.

2009 RACES:  Check my log, the 8 races are listed there.  Took 1st in my last race.

2010 RACES PLANNED:  SRQ Y TRI, Gainesville TriGator, St. Pete Escape Ft. Desoto, Sebring Heartland Tri, St. Pete Morton Plant Mease, SRQ Siesta Tri, Boca Grande Boca Bop.

WEIGHTLOSS:  See above Training Notes

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER:  I love to post, love to talk details, love gear, love training.  Had a great experience in a mentor group in the spring.

My wife will be applying here as well in a bit.
Thanks,
steve

Steve-Welcome to the group.
And say hey to your wife!
I am trying to convince my wife to join for a du, as she hates the swim.
Your logs look great. Way to go on the schedule last season, and congrats on the weight loss.
I am hoping I am "forced" into AG sometime this year, but I like to cook a little too much.

Looks like you have a great plan for the upcoming season.
I am going to be over your way in March for the Gator 1/2 Iron. If you want to see a clyde suffer on the run, come watch!

2009-12-16 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2563303

User image

Master
aussiesheps - 2009-12-16 5:32 PM Hi 
I am really looking forward to this year's season!  My husband (evenolder) had a great experience last year with his mentor group so here I am.   Last year while he was becoming more and more addicted to triathlons, I had a scare with high blood pressure and started biking/altering my diet - all of this worked - After completing 2 sprints, I am a bit slow on the uptake but plan to race in several sprints this year and to lose some weight too.

I'm 37,have 2 boys- 4/6- and am a stay at home mom. 
Right now, my focus is on strengthening my run.  I am comfortable in the water and on the bike but hope to improve speed over the next season.

I am still very new to training and general consistency.  Motivation from a mentor group will be the key to keeping myself on track!
Thanks,
Sharon

Sharon,
Welcome aboard! Congrats on using diet and exercise to improve your health. I am a firm believer that it makes a difference.
I hope that this group will help keep you and your husband motivated.
Consitency is KEY! Looking forward to seeing your progress over the next few months.
2009-12-16 7:22 PM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
I'd like to join the group if you'll have me.

NAME:
Paul

STORY: 
Not much of a story. I just turned 45 yesterday and am starting to feel my age. I ran a marathon in 2007 and decided to take a break to recover. Its been a little too long since I've seriously trained and want to get back into it. Best I ever felt was while in training for the marathon. That is also when I learned to love running. I was a horrible swimmer until I started working on it about a year ago. I'm not fast but I can now swim far enough for a sprint/Oly. I've always enjoyed biking and needed to focus on swimming so I have neglected bike training.

FAMILY STATUS: 
Married for 23 years with one son that just turned 18.  I'm really wondering what I'm going to do once he has gone off to school next year.  Our lives have centered on supporting his extra-curricular activities for the last few years.

CURRENT TRAINING: 
Haven't done much for the last two months and need to get back to work.  I am 6'1" and just over 200 and could use some motivation to help get me out the door with the cold weather.

GOALS:
I want to get back down to my marathon training weight of 185.
I want to do a spring marathon in April and do two or three others through the summer/fall.
I want to do my first tri this spring and work in a few others between marathons this summer.
2009-12-16 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2563438

User image

Master
pdbman - 2009-12-16 7:22 PM I'd like to join the group if you'll have me.

NAME:
Paul

STORY: 
Not much of a story. I just turned 45 yesterday and am starting to feel my age. I ran a marathon in 2007 and decided to take a break to recover. Its been a little too long since I've seriously trained and want to get back into it. Best I ever felt was while in training for the marathon. That is also when I learned to love running. I was a horrible swimmer until I started working on it about a year ago. I'm not fast but I can now swim far enough for a sprint/Oly. I've always enjoyed biking and needed to focus on swimming so I have neglected bike training.

FAMILY STATUS: 
Married for 23 years with one son that just turned 18.  I'm really wondering what I'm going to do once he has gone off to school next year.  Our lives have centered on supporting his extra-curricular activities for the last few years.

CURRENT TRAINING: 
Haven't done much for the last two months and need to get back to work.  I am 6'1" and just over 200 and could use some motivation to help get me out the door with the cold weather.

GOALS:
I want to get back down to my marathon training weight of 185.
I want to do a spring marathon in April and do two or three others through the summer/fall.
I want to do my first tri this spring and work in a few others between marathons this summer.

Paul,
Welcome to the group. Glad to have you.
I also came to triathlon by way of marathons. I have found that one helps the other.
I learned to love running training for my first marathonas well.
I hope we cal help you stay motivated, but I don't know what we can do about the cold. I do have some decent ideas for indoor workouts though!

What plan/training did you do for your first marathon?
2009-12-17 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2562525

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
In response to your question I have unfortunetly not done much to maintain my base.  I would like to a small sprint at the end of march and thought I would do the Michael pate plan again (what I did last year) but only start about at the three week point becuase I can do some light running probally.  basically i need to build my base back up.

2009-12-17 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Hey! Can I join too?

NAME: Silver_wlf - Stef

STORY: I come from a competitive swimming background.  I raced through high school and then as a master through university and after.  After a while my times weren't getting any better and I found it frustrating - so I figured since everyone else was doing triathlons why not.  I raced for 3 years then started a new job and everything came to a screeching halt.  I continued to run and commute to work on my bike - but I didn't race for a number of years.  Several years ago I separated from my husband and the following year I struggled with severe depression.  I was unable to do anything but swim (meditative controlled breathing) and I started setting goals for myself to help give me some focus and direction.  I placed 5th in a 10k race in the fall and decided that I was going to get back into triathlon.  I bought myself a tri-bike for Christmas last year and started training for my first HIM.  It was an incredible experience and I appreciate how triathlon keeps me grounded (and sane!).

FAMILY STATUS: Single with two dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: I try to train at least 5x a week although lately it's been spotty.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm looking at a February half-marathon with my sister and I need a way to stay motivated through the cold.  I'm planning on racing two half-IMs this summer - Welland and Cedar Point as well as completing the Lung Association Double Century and hopefully the MS ride in July.

2009 RACES:  Leamington Sprint (AG 1st), Steelhead 1/2 IM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I find that I've lost a lot of tone from the summer and I'm up about ~8lbs. from my HIM weight.  Trying to get that under control.
2009-12-17 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2563911

User image

Master
Silver_wlf - 2009-12-17 6:53 AM Hey! Can I join too?

NAME: Silver_wlf - Stef

STORY: I come from a competitive swimming background.  I raced through high school and then as a master through university and after.  After a while my times weren't getting any better and I found it frustrating - so I figured since everyone else was doing triathlons why not.  I raced for 3 years then started a new job and everything came to a screeching halt.  I continued to run and commute to work on my bike - but I didn't race for a number of years.  Several years ago I separated from my husband and the following year I struggled with severe depression.  I was unable to do anything but swim (meditative controlled breathing) and I started setting goals for myself to help give me some focus and direction.  I placed 5th in a 10k race in the fall and decided that I was going to get back into triathlon.  I bought myself a tri-bike for Christmas last year and started training for my first HIM.  It was an incredible experience and I appreciate how triathlon keeps me grounded (and sane!).

FAMILY STATUS: Single with two dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: I try to train at least 5x a week although lately it's been spotty.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm looking at a February half-marathon with my sister and I need a way to stay motivated through the cold.  I'm planning on racing two half-IMs this summer - Welland and Cedar Point as well as completing the Lung Association Double Century and hopefully the MS ride in July.

2009 RACES:  Leamington Sprint (AG 1st), Steelhead 1/2 IM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I find that I've lost a lot of tone from the summer and I'm up about ~8lbs. from my HIM weight.  Trying to get that under control.

Welcome to the group Silver_wlf!
Sounds like you have quite a strong background. Glad to see you are getting back into it!
A Feb. 1/2 marathon is a great way to stay fit while you prep for your build up to the summer HIM! Do you have a plan you follow?
Is the Cedar Point tri the Rev3? I have been toying with the idea, as it would be a fun destination race for my family.
Not sure I have the saddle sores for a double century, but I did my first century this year, and also plan on doing the MS 150 2 day ride here in Florida.

I look forward to hearing about your progress!
2009-12-17 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL

Allright! We are full up.
Welcome aboard everyone. I hope this group works out to be all you are looking for.
I have never particpated in a mentor group before, but I work as a technology trainer, and a large part of my job is helping students set and achieve goals, mostly reltated to certification (not unlike training for a race ).
Here is what I can offer:

Merriment-I like to have fun, and tell jokes and stories. I want your experices with triathlon, and BT to be enjoyable.
Enthusiasm-I had thought about, and trained for triathlons a few times in the past, but it has only been in the last few years that I really got involved. I am HOOKED. Just about every aspect of the sport is interesting to me.
Niceness-I will do my best to make sure that personal attacks/flames are NOT allowed. I don't think it will be a problem, but differences of opinion do not mean you have to attack the person who holds them. Sarcasm is OK though.
Technical Support- I am still learning about all of the features BT has to offer, but I will research and help anyone who wants to learn. Technology is what I do.
Objectives-I will try to help each of you succeed in reaching your objectives-prepping for a race, building a base, losing weight, or getting faster, or a combination.
Reinforcement-We are here to support each other. I will try to do this by checking logs, sending messages, posting and sharing successes and challenges. I hope you do the same.
Here is the list of members:

stiga00
Jack54
crazyalaskian
EvenOlder
aussiesheps
pdbman
Silver_wlf

OK, so the mentor thing is a little cheesy, but it kind of works.

Edited by eliwashere 2009-12-17 8:15 AM
2009-12-17 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Yippeeeeee!! I'm good at cheerleading!!!
2009-12-17 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2563555

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA

eliwashere - 2009-12-16 7:30 PM
Paul,
Welcome to the group. Glad to have you.
I also came to triathlon by way of marathons. I have found that one helps the other.
I learned to love running training for my first marathonas well.
I hope we cal help you stay motivated, but I don't know what we can do about the cold. I do have some decent ideas for indoor workouts though!

What plan/training did you do for your first marathon?

I don't really have any reason to complain about the cold.  I live close to the Olympic speed skating oval here in Utah.  The temperature is about perfect year round, about 60F.

To train for the marathon, I started with the Couch to 5k and then added 10% per week until I was adding 1 mile to my long run each week.  By the time I got close to the marathon I was doing 20-22 miles each Saturday running through the mountains.

Mostly what I need at this point is someone to hold me accountable to get out there and train.  I need to add my training program to BT.  I usually swim 2-3 times per week and run 2-3 also.

2009-12-17 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Paul,
Wow, that is an awesome way to get started.
Yes, if you have a training plan, adding it to BT helps. I used one of their plans in the past. I can't say I hit every workout as described, but the structure helped me a bunch.
And we will be glad to hold you accountable.
2009-12-18 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Hey All,
So, I was thinking about my bike. And it made me wonder about your bikes...
What do you ride? Are you thinking about upgrading? What would you change? Do you not really worry about it.

Here are my details-
Ride: Giant FCR2 2008
First Road Bike I bought in 20 years. Bought it for recreation, not tri's. tri's came later.
Loved it from the moment I got it. However, it is designed as a fitness bike.
I changed the tires, added aero bars and look style pedals.
I like it, and will use it for a couple more seasons.
Thinking about-changing handlebars to drops instead of flat. New Saddle
Future-Maybe a tri bike.....
2009-12-18 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2566504

Regular
Eli,

You sound like me I bought my first road bike in July of last year, first one since I was in college 35 years ago.  Was riding one of my kids fat tire bikes before that.

I bought a trek 1500 off of craigslist (the discovery channel edition). I do want to add aero bars and I'm looking now, but haven't dieiced what I want. Any suggestions.

That's all the bike  I need for now.
2009-12-18 11:04 AM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
My only bike is my 14 year old Specialized mountain bike.  I plan on getting a good road bike but haven't really decided what to get or even what to look for so any advice you have or resources you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  

of 13