BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-20 6:58 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now
NAME: GaryRm - Gary
STORY: Short story was I had started the middle age bulg.  Both my father and brother died because of unhealthy lifestyles.  Started running and was injured in ditch fall.  Knee surgery and Dr said try swimming and biking as cross training.  Several online friends were starting Tri's and encouraged me to start.  Was hooked after the first race.
FAMILY STATUS: Married for 20+ years with two wonderful, healthy children.
CURRENT TRAINING: After doing several seasons with 1-2 HIM's per year, 2013 will be more about short course with Sprints and at least one or two Oly's

2012 RACES:  NOLA 70.3, River Roux HIM, Big Cajun Oly and three sprints

WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost over 21lbs in the last two years

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have had a mentor group now for awhile and we have a great group of people from beginners to seasoned vets.  Always looking for more people to join.

You can post an intro here or in our main group at:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=236936&start=1541&posts=1543

Edited by GaryRM 2013-01-02 7:15 AM

2012-12-26 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4543562

User image

Regular
NW Houston
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open for Training

Hey Gary:

What made me want to connect with you is the unhealthy lifestyles that took your brother and father (if I read correctly).  Being black (African-American for you PC types), I am susceptible to high blood pressure.  I have a father who takes meds for it since he was 37 (and is now 75); a brother who died at 45 b/c he refused to take meds; a grandfather and great-grandfather who died b/c of hypertension.  So, there was an instant connection there.

I am 48 but fortunately have been blessed with good genes and look much younger.  However, I am also taking meds for blood pressure.  For the last 6 months I have been actively (3 days/week) lifting weights and doing cardio (exercise bike at least 2 days and mostly d days).  Prior to that, I was an avid swimmer (I'm still certified as a lifeguard).  I am not a big fan of lifting weights but I like the results, I hate running and have a Mountain Bike.

Bottom line, I need/want some variety and have a goal of participating in my first spring of this year.  I do not want to purchase a bike (I think I can get away with a mountain bike for 2013); I will invest in good running shoes and the swim is not a problem for me (I was easily doing a mile a day).

If there's room in your group, I want in.

Steve

2012-12-27 1:51 PM

User image

3rd House on the Left
Hi Gary. I'm 43 and completed my first triathlon in October of this year and got hooked. I wanted to join your group because I am planning on competing in several sprint distance tri's this year and would love to pick your brain on balancing the training and family. I've been married 19 years with 2 boys (15 & 10), so as you can imagine there is some juggling for me.
2012-12-27 2:14 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey Gary, Have room for one more?

I am Robin, 52, Been involved in triathlon for a few years. I am training for my first marathon this spring, then will be doing my first Olympic distance this summer.

2012-12-27 2:19 PM

User image

Gary,

This year (2012) I turned 50 in December, so in April I set several goal to accomplish before I turned 50. The main to was to be at or under 170 pounds and run a 5K before that day. I have completed 4 5K runs ranging in the neighborhood of 27:30 as well as losing 35 pounds to get under 170. I have started to ride a bike and now I'm up to about 10-11 hilly miles on Saturdays. My goal for this year is to compete in the Memphis in May Sprint Tri @ Tunica, Ms and the NashVegas Sprint in Nashville, TN later in the year. I can run 2-2.5 miles with no problem. My legs can do 3-4 miles no problem if my mind does't sabotage them. I have access to a very good wellness center where I can run/walk, bike, swim and lift weights during lunch.

Dave

Edited by Kartracerguy 2012-12-27 2:20 PM
2012-12-27 5:22 PM

User image

Gary,Would love to join your group. I am a runner(46 years old) starting into the TRI world. Have two small kids that make training a juggling act. This year is three confirmed ( 2 sprint and 1 Olympic) races plus NYC marathon in the fall. Tks,Kevin

2012-12-27 6:06 PM

Room for another?  I am hoping to join your group.

Two years ago I weighed over 30 pounds more than now and was totally out of shape;  headed toward diseases causes by unhealthy lifestyles that too many family members have succumbed to.  I started running since I ran track in high school, raced a few 5K's but quickly realized I would have to crosstrain if I wanted to exercise daily, daughter was a swimmer so I joined masters and learned how to swim and then started biking more seriously when a friend invited me to do an indoor tri with her. Immediately hooked, and did well on my first sprint and another indoor tri before tearing my hamstring last spring. I had to cancel out of all last spring and summer races and am now 5 mos post surgery easing back into running and biking and have been swimming regularly.  I have gained back 10 pounds and want to loose that plus a bit more to get to racing weight by June.  I am turning 50 this year too so want to come back strong this summer.  (I live north so race season starts for me in June)

2012-12-27 9:21 PM

Hi Gary, my name is John and I'm lucky enough to call South Florida home, which makes training year round simple. I started to run (or rather walk,) three+ years ago after my weight reached an all time high and my fitness/health an all time low. I feared for my health at the time and was approaching 50 rapidly (sounds familiar? I guess the motto for this group - also been married for 23 years with 2 kids). Since then, I lost 40 pounds, although gained a few back the last 6 months, changaed my eating habits, cleaned up my cholesterol and no longer on medicine for it and my blood pressure is better than in my 20's. I completed a half marathon last year, and this year decided to give my knees a rest and started training for triathlons. I now turned 50 and completed 3 sprint triathlons over the past 6 months. I now want to complete an Olympic triathlon in 6 months and I will need all the help I can get.John D.

Edited by Jdesnoyers 2012-12-27 9:32 PM
2012-12-27 9:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-12-27 10:13 PM

Subject: ---

Edited by BigAirT 2012-12-29 8:03 AM
2012-12-27 11:46 PM

This sounds like a great group for me. I am younger than most everyone else that has posted at 30 but like several others here, triathlons are more for fun and weight control than true competition. Doing a sprint tri soon. Finished an off road tri (1/36/10) in October. Looking at a marathon in March. Would love more advice, especially some accountability in the eating department. Apparently training more doesn't equate to eat whatever I want. Married with one 2 1/2 yr old girl and a boy on the way.

2012-12-28 6:10 AM

Hi Gary.  I am interested in joining your mentor group.    I am 52 years old, weigh 170, and did my first sprint tri in June 2012.   I am just starting to bike again after many years away from the sport. I would like to do 2-3 sprint tris this coming year, and maybe put in an Olympic later in the year.  I would like advice on how to structure a training program to avoid injury, as I am fighting plantar fasciitis at the present time.

Edited by gduston 2012-12-28 6:13 AM
2012-12-28 10:13 AM

Hi Gary,

Last year I did my first sprint (3 of them) and at 50 needed something to get rid of the bulge.  I also participated in a bile relay (my leg was only 16 miles) and a run relay (my leg was 13 miles). Unfortunately I am still trying to get rid of the bulge.  I played basketball/hockey to keep me in shape but at 40 that wasn't enough and now those sports are not fitting into my life.  I need to lose 25 lbs. to expect to approach the performance I think I can but the training helps me deal with stress. I am on medication for hypertension. 

I am married with a son in college.  As my wife and I approach life as empty nesters we are trying to become more active and would like to use triathlon/dualathons as a reason for traveling. 

2012-12-28 12:19 PM

Regular
UNITED STATES

Edited by wrhall2 2012-12-29 7:07 PM
2012-12-28 2:36 PM

Mount Vernon
If there is still room I would like to join this group. I'm Jack from NY.I started to train 2 years ago to loose weight and hopefully get off my BP meds. I dropped 30 pounds,and registered for 2 races, but after a torn miniscus on the job I had to drop out. I had surgery last May, and was only allowed to swim during recovery. Once given the go ahead I got back to training and since I was never a runner, focused on that ( and swimming which I suck at). I've been a cyclist since the paper route days and have done a number of Boston to NY AIDS rides, so I've got that part covered.Last year I swam the Hudson River Swim for Life 1 mile, and ran the Rock N Roll NY 10K and the Rock N Roll LA Half Marathon. All with respectful times, but they could be better.This year I have registered for the Pawling Sprint and the NYC Olympic. I intend to register for the Sleepy Hollow Sprint, The Hudson River Swim for Life 1 mile, and the Rock N Roll NYC 10K and LA Half. The reason I am looking to join this group is the motivation. I work in film and television and the days are long, which means work outs are early. I struggled over the past year to get the training in and was thankfully part of a running training team on weekends that held me to our training, focused on our goals and celebrated our commitment. So when do we find out if we make the cut?ThanksJack

Mount Vernon
If there is still room I would like to join this group. I'm Jack from NY.I started to train 2 years ago to loose weight and hopefully get off my BP meds. I dropped 30 pounds,and registered for 2 races, but after a torn miniscus on the job I had to drop out. I had surgery last May, and was only allowed to swim during recovery. Once given the go ahead I got back to training and since I was never a runner, focused on that ( and swimming which I suck at). I've been a cyclist since the paper route days and have done a number of Boston to NY AIDS rides, so I've got that part covered.Last year I swam the Hudson River Swim for Life 1 mile, and ran the Rock N Roll NY 10K and the Rock N Roll LA Half Marathon. All with respectful times, but they could be better.This year I have registered for the Pawling Sprint and the NYC Olympic. I intend to register for the Sleepy Hollow Sprint, The Hudson River Swim for Life 1 mile, and the Rock N Roll NYC 10K and LA Half. The reason I am looking to join this group is the motivation. I work in film and television and the days are long, which means work outs are early. I struggled over the past year to get the training in and was thankfully part of a running training team on weekends that held me to our training, focused on our goals and celebrated our commitment. So when do we find out if we make the cut?ThanksJack

Mount Vernon

Mount Vernon
2012-12-28 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4552126

Champion
Bronze member

Jcurtin1 - 2012-12-28 3:36 PM If there is still room I would like to join this group. I'm Jack from NY.I started to train 2 years ago to loose weight and hopefully get off my BP meds. I dropped 30 pounds,and registered for 2 races, but after a torn miniscus on the job I had to drop out. I had surgery last May, and was only allowed to swim during recovery. Once given the go ahead I got back to training and since I was never a runner, focused on that ( and swimming which I suck at). I've been a cyclist since the paper route days and have done a number of Boston to NY AIDS rides, so I've got that part covered.Last year I swam the Hudson River Swim for Life 1 mile, and ran the Rock N Roll NY 10K and the Rock N Roll LA Half Marathon. All with respectful times, but they could be better.This year I have registered for the Pawling Sprint and the NYC Olympic. I intend to register for the Sleepy Hollow Sprint, The Hudson River Swim for Life 1 mile, and the Rock N Roll NYC 10K and LA Half. The reason I am looking to join this group is the motivation. I work in film and television and the days are long, which means work outs are early. I struggled over the past year to get the training in and was thankfully part of a running training team on weekends that held me to our training, focused on our goals and celebrated our commitment. So when do we find out if we make the cut?ThanksJack

Hey Jack. I am doing the NYC tri this summer as well. It will be my first Olympic distance race.

2012-12-28 2:53 PM

Veteran
Queens, NY

Hi Gary!

My name is Megan; I am 47 and live in NYC. I have done a few tri's off and on over the years so I feel likeI am perpetually a beginner; nothing longer than a sprint however and my first open water race last September. I have been married 23 years, and have 4 kids; work fulltime and am a group leader for a women's running organization. Yes, I am busy! but it mostly keeps me out of trouble. Mostly.

This year I have three tris on deck- a mini sprint in April; The NYC Tri (Olympic) in July, and then the Danskin Women's Sprint in October. I also plan a few half marathons leading up to the NYC Marathon in November. Big year! I hope  to maintain a steady focus on nutrition, adequate rest and proper training. I am hoping to learn from this group not only so that I can thrive during this season, but also pay it forward when I can.

2012-12-28 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4552147

Mount Vernon

Excellent! Of course you will be out of the water before me, but Ill see you at the finish!

I volunteered last year and was amazed by what i witnessed!

2012-12-29 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4552158

Champion
Bronze member
bluwatersoul - 2012-12-28 3:53 PM

Hi Gary!

My name is Megan; I am 47 and live in NYC. I have done a few tri's off and on over the years so I feel likeI am perpetually a beginner; nothing longer than a sprint however and my first open water race last September. I have been married 23 years, and have 4 kids; work fulltime and am a group leader for a women's running organization. Yes, I am busy! but it mostly keeps me out of trouble. Mostly.

This year I have three tris on deck- a mini sprint in April; The NYC Tri (Olympic) in July, and then the Danskin Women's Sprint in October. I also plan a few half marathons leading up to the NYC Marathon in November. Big year! I hope  to maintain a steady focus on nutrition, adequate rest and proper training. I am hoping to learn from this group not only so that I can thrive during this season, but also pay it forward when I can.

Megan and Jack: It looks like there are three of us doing the NYC tri this summer!

2012-12-29 3:53 PM

Veteran
Queens, NY
Yay! Stirring as many positive vibes as I can now cuz I will be freaking out about it in a few months ....
2012-12-30 12:07 AM

Hello. My name is Shari. If there is still room, I would also like to join this group. I have been reading through the posts in some of the other groups & this one seems to be most suited to me.

I am just beginning to train for my first sprint tri, which will be in May in Tempe, AZ. I am thinking of doing a dinky little local sprint tri a month earlier that has a short pool swim, an 8k bike ride, and a 2 mi run to get a little experience before the "big one."

I just turned 50 a few weeks ago. I made 2012 an exceptional year leading up to my 50th birthday and now I want to make Being Fifty even more exceptional. I started running again a few months ago in a bid to lose weight (hasn't been working for that, but I feel better!). Then a friend who's done a few sprint tris said she was coming to town & wondered if I'd do the Tempe International Triathlon with her when she comes. Why not? It's not something I ever envisioned myself doing, but I can run (slowly, but I finish), I can bike (same deal), and I know how to swim. Why not take on this challenge? I always thought any type of triathlon was beyond me, but in the last year I've learned that I'm capable of much more than I knew. I am all about new experiences & challenges, as well as introducing a little more discipline into my life.

I am a physical therapist at a hospital, and I strongly feel that I should set the example as far as health & wellness. I have a medical issue of my own that could potentially limit my physical abilities. I manage it through diet, exercise, and taking care of my emotional, spiritual, & mental health. I am single with no kids, but I manage to fill my time with all kinds of activities, so devising and sticking to a training plan will be a significant challenge for me. I think I'm up for it, especially with guidance & support from a community of like-minded people.

Edited by sharifred 2012-12-30 12:08 AM
2012-12-30 10:28 AM

Hello:   My name is John and I am a 53 yr old triathlete ( I did one sprint last year).   Plus I accomplished a 21 km road race and a 11 km trail race.   I live on Vancouver Island Canada.   My goals for the year are a olympic in March (pool swim) and an open water Oylmpic at the end of May.  I am a back of the pack type guy, swim quite slowly and only moderately faster on the bike and run.   I am in this for fun, health, and to lose a few pounds.

If there is room I would like to join.

Thanks

John

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training Rss Feed  

of 2