Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2010-01-04 10:08 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED

NAME: JohnnyKay / John

STORY: As a 35yo who had been only intermittently active since college, I decided I needed a goal to get me off the couch on a more permanant basis and lose some weight that had gradually crept onto my body.  Had rowed competiively in HS & college, but that seemed hard to fit into my life at that stage.  Never really swam, biked or ran, so triathlon was the obvious choice.  5+ years later (yes, I'm 40 now) and I am still hooked.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married to a beautiful and supportive wife.  We have 3 kids (10, 8 and 5yo--boy, girl, girl)

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently focusing on running and cycling more than my swimming.  Should be working out roughly 8-10 hours/week for next several months, likely increasing to 10-14 once the weather improves and I can ride long outside more.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
 In 2009, I raced an olympic, a half iron and a full iron distance.

2010 RACES:  I am running the Boston Marathon in April, Eagleman 70.3 and (probably) Philadelphia Oly in June.

WEIGHTLOSS:
Dropped about 25lbs during my first year or so and have since fluctuated in relatively narrow band.  Would like to drop another 10lbs or so for performance purposes, but I like to snack too much.  Purely from a health standpoint, I'm veary happy with my current weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
 I've invested a fair amount of time in figuring out how best to train for endurance sports like triathlon.  And I manage to fit my training into a fairly full plate of work and family commitments.  So I believe I can provide reasonable (though not always the best) advice on training and the art of schedule-juggling.  Or at least share what I have found and suggest some possible resources where my knowledge falls short.  I am probably not the greatest cheerleader/motivator, but I think most who know me would at least grant me supportive and encouraging.  I mentored a group in the past and I don't think any of them hate me.  (I suspect that I am at least a better mentor than I am a salesman.)

Edited by JohnnyKay 2010-01-05 7:11 PM

2010-01-04 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2592294

User image

cincinnati, ohio
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - OPEN

Hi, I would like to join your group!

I'm 34 training for my first Iron Distance.  Signed up for Wisconsin in September.  Last year, I ran Boston and Columbus half (Ohio) and did Steelhead 70.3, as well as a handful of other olympic distance races around here.  I ran track and cross country and swam in HS, then took a hiatus to party it up during college.  After graduating, I started running again and strictly ran from 2000 to 2006, along with having a few babies.  in 2006 did my first Olympic Distance tri (Chicago) with Team in Training.  Loved it, had another baby and now here I am.  Mother of 3 (all girls ages 7,4 and 2), with a workaholic husband, training for an Ironman.  this should be fun.  other scheduled races this year include  Cincinnati half mary, triple t in portsmouth - both in May.  decided not to do Boston this year to concentrate more on cycling (my weakness).  Following a36 week training program for IM, which started today!

looking forward to a great year!

Lisa

2010-01-04 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2593158

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Welcome to the group!  And to BT!

Impressive resume--not least of which is plans to train for IM with the 3 girls!  Would have been nice to meet you in Boston, but I think your plan to focus on cycling prior to your first IM is a good one.  With your running and swimming background, you should have a nice head start over many first-timers.  Which training plan are you using for the IM?
2010-01-04 4:06 PM

User image

cincinnati, ohio
My friend and I are following TriFuels 36 week program.  we had a group of friends use it last year for IM Louisville.  So we are using it for now.  I may hire a coach for last 18 weeks. we will see how this is going.  I just need a set schedule to follow - if it is on the schedule, i can get it done.  i am a planner.  since you are in PA, I assume you are not riding outside.  Do you do spin classes or trainer at home?
2010-01-04 4:48 PM

Regular
May I join?

I'm 30, going into my third summer of triathlon, though have yet to get somewhat serious with training. I would love to eventually work my way up to half and full ironman, but I really want to commit at getting better and actually training for the shorter stuff. I tend to lean slightly more toward competing rather than completing races, even though I'll probably never get to the front of the pack. But I definitely want to do the work that should lead to improvement and then perform well.

FAMILY: I'm married and have 2 children (boy 8, girl 3). I'm a nurse, though right now I'm only working part time and going to school full time (more nursing).

CURRENT TRAINING: Next to none! I have some logistical problems nowadays getting workouts in. Hopefully that will change soon, I found a pool near where I go to school, and I'm thinking about hiring a babysitter one afternoon a week.

2009: I raced 2 sprints, a half marathon (on not nearly enough training), and a 5K. I also had swine flu over the summer which knocked me down for most of July.

2010: I would like to race at least 2 sprints, and am thinking about trying an International distance. I would also like to throw in a half marathon just to keep my running somewhat honest.

Weightloss: I could stand to lose a few pounds, but haven't really used triathlon as a means to lose weight. I'm more interested in what I can train my body to do.

I'm looking for support in understanding the ins and outs of training, and to make a plan and stick to it this year.

2010-01-04 5:52 PM

New user

fenelon falls
Hi Johnny,

I would love to join your group. I am 34 years old and a love running and biking. I am starting swimming again since I have not actually done any length of swimming since I was a teenager. I am very passionate about competing in my first tri this year. I am registering for the Vancouver triathlon on July 4th 2010. I will be competing in the sprint and am looking forward to it. As I have never competed before I am quite excited to gather any knowledge I can that will help make this experience the best it can be. I look forward being part of your group and learning all that I can.

Happy New Year!
Mike Chambers

2010-01-04 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2593375

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
lulubug - 2010-01-04 5:06 PM My friend and I are following TriFuels 36 week program.  we had a group of friends use it last year for IM Louisville.  So we are using it for now.  I may hire a coach for last 18 weeks. we will see how this is going.  I just need a set schedule to follow - if it is on the schedule, i can get it done.  i am a planner.  since you are in PA, I assume you are not riding outside.  Do you do spin classes or trainer at home?

I know people that have used that plan and like it.  The author, Mike Llerandi, is a very talented triathlete.

I like the trainer for 2 main reasons.  First, I prefer to do my own workouts and find some of the spin classes include things like 'jumps' which I don't really enjoy.  But, the most important reason for me is that I can hop on the bike earlier before work.  That is, for me it offers scheduling and time management advantages to spin classes.  But if you enjoy them and can fit them into your schedule, some spin classes can offer quite a solid workout.  Many people also like the fact that there are other people around them instead of a blank wall (or a TV in my case).
2010-01-04 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2593490

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Consider yourself "in" vtgirl!

I can understand your difficulty in building a routine with all you have going on at work, school and home.  For me, I've found that the core of my workouts get done early in the am before work.  My wife and kids are often still in bed when I finish or just getting up to get ready for their days.  This does require early bedtimes (not long after the kids!).  Don't know if that's something that could work for you or not, but really anything you can do to establish routine is helpful.  It sounds like you are in decent shape (tackling a half marathon on light training), but much of the gains in triathlon (or any endurance sport) come simply from consistent training.  It's usually better to start with a modest plan that you can execute than to get overly aggressive and get frustrated because you can't keep up with the schedule.

Feel free to fire away with questions and I hope everyone in the group will feel comfortable offering their advice and experience as well.  Many of you will end up having more experience than me in some areas.
2010-01-04 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2593613

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Welcome Mike!

If you swam when you were a teenager, my guess is you will be surprised at how easy it comes back to you after a few trips to the pool.  If your "swimming" was more like me--jump in pool, splash around, swim from end to end a few times--learning what it means to really swim will be an eyeopener!  Realizing how much help I needed in the water was what initially led me to BT in the first place.  I'm by no means a good swimmer, still.  But I can hold my own among many triathletes.  The closer you are to "me", the quicker I'd encourage you to get into the water.  There is a pretty steep curve just to get yourself to a point where you can really "train" the swim (as opposed to learning to survive it ).
2010-01-04 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Johnny,
I'm new to tri's and plan on attempting my first sprint on 3/27. I'm 47, married and have two sons ages 13 and 9. I've  been doing distance cycling for the past 3 years... mainly centuries and brevets. I used to run several years ago and completed a couple of half marathons and a full one. Lately,  I've been running 5k a couple of times a week and I spin inside when the weather's bad. I stink at swimming, but I'm determined to figure it out. My goal is to complete this sprint. I've picked a beginner's sprint program and officially began today. Is this group a good match for a beginner like me? If so, I'd like to join.

Thanks,
John9600

Edited by jhogan9600 2010-01-04 7:29 PM
2010-01-04 8:01 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Hi John,  I have been lurking the forums at BT for awhile and finally decided to see about joining a group and your group sounds good.  My name is Calvin.  I live in Georgia so I don't have to fight the snow and ice many of you do.  I am 46, married with 1 son, age 15, and two stepsons, ages 18 and 20.  I swam in high school and ran regularly while in the Army.  However, I had not ran for the last 16 years until last summer.  Started running with my wife and completed three 5K races between June and November. 

My best friend has done several tri's, including two 70.3.  Not looking to do that this summer but I am scheduled for my first sprint at Jekyll Island, GA in May.  I hope to finish two other sprints in June and one oly in Aug or Sept.  If that goes well, then I may be up for training for the Gulf Coast 70.3 next year. 

Completed my first workout today with the BT 16 week x3 Sprint training plan.  The stationary bike was harder than I expected.  The swim felt good but I was out of breath very quickly.  I know it will come back to me but it is going to take a few weeks.   I look forward to hearing more from the group.

2010-01-04 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2593789

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Jhogan,  You sound a lot like me!  Best of luck in your training.  What training plan are you following?
2010-01-04 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2593789

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
This group is open to any who want to come in, so consider yourself "accepted", John. 

The purpose of the mentor group (as I see it) is to give people an easy entry into triathlon and BT.  A sub-forum, if you will, where people do not feel concerned about asking "dumb" questions (there really aren't any as most people know).  And, more importantly, it gives you a small group of "starter" friends.  One of the best parts of BT is ability to connect with people who have a common interest that can offer support and encouragement as you go.  Eventually, the group will phase out, but (hopefully) you and the people in it will remain and become part of the BT community.

As far as your goal, it sounds very achievable.  You've got plenty of biking and running in your background.  And you'll find there are a lot of triathletes who stink at swimming.   But, seriously, many people start out with very little ability in swimming and it is the biggest roadblock for many in trying the sport.  So you've already made a big step by being willing to accept that challenge.  The best advice I can give you is to get to the pool as often as your schedule allows and get some lessons if at all possible.  When I started, I was able to get a handful of 30-45 minute sessions with an instructor at our YMCA which really helped me get going.
2010-01-04 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2593849

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Welcome Calvin!

I am sure the swimming will come back.  At least you once knew what it felt like.  For many of us, it's a very foreign sensation not being able to breathe freely when you are exercising. 
2010-01-04 10:15 PM

User image

Montana
I would like to join your group.

I am a 43 year old divorced male with two children, 11 year old boy and 8 year old girl.  I have raced 12 Xterra's the last 3 years and I am currently training for the Oliver HIM in June in Oliver, BC.  Not really sure how this looks but looking forward to getting some tipse.  I am not a swimmer and have only learned how over the past 4 years, it is by far the biggest struggle for me.  I am more of a mountain biker, who is looking for the challenge of a HIM.
Jerry
2010-01-05 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2594102

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Welcome to the group and to BT, Jerry!

The HIM will be different for sure, but it sounds like you will be more than up for the challenge.  I've never gotten into Xterra or mountain biking much, but it sure looks like fun!

2010-01-05 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2593851

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Triton63,

I'm using the Beginner Sprint-12 Week-HR program. Does anyone know where to find a key to all the abbreviations in the training plans? I figured out WU and CD.... but the rest of them have me scratching my head.

Thanks.
2010-01-05 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2593874

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Thanks, Johnny.... yep.... lots of laps in the pool for me. Fortunately, my wife is a great swimmer and ex-lifeguard and is very supportive of my efforts. I just purchased a DVD on TI swimming... should arrive in the mail in a day or so. I think if I just clean up my stroke I'll be ok. Right now I can go about 40 or 50 meters before conking out... hr off the chart. Breathing is also a challenge.
2010-01-05 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2593758

Regular
JohnnyKay - 2010-01-04 8:13 PM

Consider yourself "in" vtgirl!

I can understand your difficulty in building a routine with all you have going on at work, school and home.  For me, I've found that the core of my workouts get done early in the am before work.  My wife and kids are often still in bed when I finish or just getting up to get ready for their days.  This does require early bedtimes (not long after the kids!).  Don't know if that's something that could work for you or not, but really anything you can do to establish routine is helpful.  It sounds like you are in decent shape (tackling a half marathon on light training), but much of the gains in triathlon (or any endurance sport) come simply from consistent training.  It's usually better to start with a modest plan that you can execute than to get overly aggressive and get frustrated because you can't keep up with the schedule.

Feel free to fire away with questions and I hope everyone in the group will feel comfortable offering their advice and experience as well.  Many of you will end up having more experience than me in some areas.

I may have to train myself to become a morning person. Right now I'm neither a morning or an evening person! I'm a very light sleeper, which makes me feel zonked in the morning. But it's not impossible to get up and start a new routine!

I think I understand what you mean about seeing gains from consistent training. Last summer I didn't really follow a plan, I just inserted a few runs, a bike, and a swim when I could make time for it. I definitely got fitness, but it seemed like I was just moving for the sake of moving - not really training for a specific purpose (such as improving speed or strength, or bike cadence, etc). And with short sprints, I've found that's definitely enough to carry the fitness to get through it, but it's probably no where near what my potential is with a focused plan. Does that make sense? So in some ways, I think I'm sort of copping out by just focusing on the short races - because even if I don't follow any specific training plan and workout a few times a week, I should be able to complete it. However, if I sign up for something longer, as I did with the half marathon, it is certainly much harder to use basic fitness to get through it. You really need to do the work to get through it! Like I said, I'd rather compete than complete - at least in the short distances!
2010-01-05 8:34 AM

Regular
Forgot to mention, my real name is Suzanne!

2010-01-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2594102

Regular
bikemt1 - 2010-01-04 11:15 PM

I would like to join your group.

I am a 43 year old divorced male with two children, 11 year old boy and 8 year old girl.  I have raced 12 Xterra's the last 3 years and I am currently training for the Oliver HIM in June in Oliver, BC.  Not really sure how this looks but looking forward to getting some tipse.  I am not a swimmer and have only learned how over the past 4 years, it is by far the biggest struggle for me.  I am more of a mountain biker, who is looking for the challenge of a HIM.
Jerry

I would LOVE to do an Xterra someday! Back in the day I used to be a mountain bike guide, but I hardly mtn bike anymore. I would definitely need an upgrade on my ancient mtn bike, that I now realize doesn't and probably never fit me properly. My husband still mountain bikes (with my old bike!). I actually asked him for a mountain biking weekend for our anniversary - renting nicer bikes. We ended up renting him a road bike and doing a road tour instead.

So much equipment, so little time and money! I miss it though.

2010-01-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2594549

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
jhogan9600 - 2010-01-05 9:16 AM Triton63,

I'm using the Beginner Sprint-12 Week-HR program. Does anyone know where to find a key to all the abbreviations in the training plans? I figured out WU and CD.... but the rest of them have me scratching my head.

Thanks.

Try this:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=630

Or just post the ones that have you head-scratching here and I should be able to help with most of them.
2010-01-05 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2594564

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
jhogan9600 - 2010-01-05 9:21 AM Thanks, Johnny.... yep.... lots of laps in the pool for me. Fortunately, my wife is a great swimmer and ex-lifeguard and is very supportive of my efforts. I just purchased a DVD on TI swimming... should arrive in the mail in a day or so. I think if I just clean up my stroke I'll be ok. Right now I can go about 40 or 50 meters before conking out... hr off the chart. Breathing is also a challenge.

It sounds like you need to start with some basic form work.  TI might be able to help with that.  Even better if you can get your wife to work with you in the water.  Having someone watch what you are doing and then giving you drills to help correct problems is often a much quicker way to figuring swimming out.  The DVDs could help too, but without someone telling you if you are doing the drills properly or not, it is often difficult for us non-fish to know ourselves.  I do have some drills that helped me when I started out (not TI, though).  I'll see if I can dig up the file they were on and post it here if I can.
2010-01-05 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2594589

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
vtgirl - 2010-01-05 9:31 AM
I may have to train myself to become a morning person. Right now I'm neither a morning or an evening person! I'm a very light sleeper, which makes me feel zonked in the morning. But it's not impossible to get up and start a new routine!

I think I understand what you mean about seeing gains from consistent training. Last summer I didn't really follow a plan, I just inserted a few runs, a bike, and a swim when I could make time for it. I definitely got fitness, but it seemed like I was just moving for the sake of moving - not really training for a specific purpose (such as improving speed or strength, or bike cadence, etc). And with short sprints, I've found that's definitely enough to carry the fitness to get through it, but it's probably no where near what my potential is with a focused plan. Does that make sense? So in some ways, I think I'm sort of copping out by just focusing on the short races - because even if I don't follow any specific training plan and workout a few times a week, I should be able to complete it. However, if I sign up for something longer, as I did with the half marathon, it is certainly much harder to use basic fitness to get through it. You really need to do the work to get through it! Like I said, I'd rather compete than complete - at least in the short distances!

Mornings aren't for everybody, but it is really the only way I can train the way I want to without sacrificing too much family time.   It did take me several weeks to adapt to the schedule, but is now pretty ingrained into me.  My wife does still laugh at me when I go to bed before the kids. 

I think you need to do the work for any distance.  You are probably short-changing yourself on how much fitness it takes to carry yourself through a sprint (obviously, some people start with better fitness and can "get by" with less added work).  As you move up the distance, the base fitness you need just grows.

Now, when you start to focus on "compete vs. complete" (you'll find many people who debate this phrase, but I know what you mean) then it becomes more work to figure out how much work you can actually do in training, how best to build your training load (either more workouts, longer ones, or more intense ones), manage your recovery and handle the "rest of your life" (the "rest" generally being more important than triathlon for most of us!).  That's when following some type of plan can make a big difference.  A plan can range from very formal one or a very loose one, but the underlying construct should be one that gradually builds the load you can handle.  For most people starting out in triathlon, I do think it makes sense to at least start with a "canned" plan (one from a website like BT or Trifuel, a book, etc.).  Managing training load is a fairly simple concept, but trying to schedule it in a busy week with 3 sports to address can quickly get much more complicated.

Oh, and "Hi, Suzanne". 
2010-01-05 9:07 AM

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
I am so new it took me five mins to figure out how to add myself to your list! Hope I am putting my post in the right place

Hi JohnnyKay,

Hoping to add myself to your group.  Basic stats:

-OMG, I am turning 50 this Friday! How the heck did that happen?
-Fortunate enough to live in Santa Barbara, CA where I can pretty easily train year round outside. Which gives me NO excuses for not fitting in my training (although somehow I still manage)
-I am a beginner, have four sprint triathlons completed, three last summer, my first the summer before.
-I only learned how to swim two summer ago, and I still struggle with swimming bigtime. I have dog-paddled through all my completed tri's gasping for breath and panicking over each tiny ocean swell.  One tri last summer had 6-8 foot swells and I was not a happy girl. First transition took me five minutes to calm myself down after a wave knocked me down flat on the exit.
- I have a "bad hip" on the right side. Bad enough to limit my career to sprints, but cleared by my doc and PT gal to go ahead.

That's about it for this morning,
Room for a 50 year old female triathlete wannabe?

Pamela
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15