BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-12-19 5:38 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL

NAME: Eliwashere- First Name- Elias, but I go by Eli

STORY: I am a lifelong recreational athlete. I swam in summer leagues, played football, wrestling and lacrosse in high school, rugby in college and then...got fat. I ran sporadically after college (1995) but it never really stuck. 
In 2002 I got motivated to run a marathon and ran Disney that year. I also discovered that being fit would help me keep up with my child. Since 2006 I have been running regularly and re-discovered triathlons in 2007. I really enjoy the multi-sport aspect of triathlon and the fact it doesn't wear my body down quite as much as just running. I also like the level of interaction at the races. I find that the community is very friendly and like to stay involved in my local race scene.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one child. Wife runs marathons, and has started to ride!

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train 5-6 days a week. I would guess I average about 5-8 hours a week. I try to keep at least one race on my schedule in the next 3 months to stay motivated.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ragnar Key West, ING 1/2 Marathon, A1A 1/2 Marathon, IM San Juan, Great Florida Challenge, Escape to Miami, IM New York, New Jersey

2010 RACES:  2011 was a good year for me. Ran the Goofy Challenge at Disney, volunteered at a few sprint Tri's, Palm 100 relay, Some local tri's, Escape to Miami, Great Floridian Ultra Distance triathlon and a few 1/2 marathons.

WEIGHTLOSS: Got down to 210 last year, and am trying to get down to 200, or even 195, although I haven't weighed that little since High School.  Still trying to lose that last 10 lbs!!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
 I have seen and done a lot in my time as a recreational athelete. I am also a voracious reader and love to research a topic. I spend a fair bit of time lurking around BT, and I am not shy about posting. This will be my 5th season of triathlon, and I am also very interested in sharing my experiences and helping others enjoy it as much as I do. I work from home and am online quite a bit, so it is easy for me to be responsive.

Ready to start now!

Edited by eliwashere 2011-12-29 3:36 PM

2011-12-23 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- OPEN

Hello Eli. Hope you can provide some help for me this year. Learning how complicated this tri thing is now!

Name: pvfd304/Brian

STORY: About three years ago, my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. That lit the fire in my belly to change my lifestyle and try to provide a positive example on how to live a life that includes physical exercise. I began biking and completely changed my diet. Lost 50 pounds. Entered a local 5K last year for the first time and thought "hey, I think I can do a tri"

FAMILY: Married for 17 years, one daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am self-coached. No training partners. I rode about 1200 miles, ran a bit over 100 miles this year. Swim at the YMCA. Swimming is my weakness.

2011 RACES: Trained for a sprint in Oct 2011. Two miles into the bike portion, I went into a turn too fast and crashed, hard. Minor road rash and a bruised rotator cuff. Arm was in a sling for a week and it's SLOWLY getting better. Still bothering me but I think it's going to be better before spring.Wink

2012 RACES: ?? depends on the shoulder healing. April in my first planned one.

2012 GOALS: heal up, working my swimming form, increase my run performance.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 6'4" and currently 210 give or take the few Christmas pounds. Wife thinks I look like a stick now. Don't really want to go below 200. 

Edited by pvfd304 2011-12-23 7:00 AM
2011-12-23 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3951059

User image

Master

Brian,

Glad to have you join! Great background and story. I hope your daughter's diabetes is manageable. My first experiences with organized fitness was actually the walk-a-thon for diabetes in the 1980's.

As for tri, I hope I can help. If nothing else, glad to support you in your training and help answer questions.

Considering you are 4 inches taller than me and weigh the same, I can relate to your wife's opinion!

Rotator cuff injuries are tough. Are you doing any rehab/strength work to support it?

2011-12-23 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3951151

User image

Veteran
Central VA
eliwashere - 2011-12-23 9:09 AM

My first experiences with organized fitness was actually the walk-a-thon for diabetes in the 1980's.

Rotator cuff injuries are tough. Are you doing any rehab/strength work to support it?

Just started back to upper body weight training. Seems like range of movement is now OK. Still hurts to do anything like push-ups so I'm careful on which exercises I do.

Went back to the Doc three weeks ago and he gave me a steroid shot. Aleve seems to help also. Out of the pool until I'm more comfortable. Anything with arms over my head still bothers me somewhat. 

It's more of a discomfort now than the mind-numbing pain of before. Taking it easy though the winter down time.

PS, Thanks for the support. We have walked in three JDRF walks so far.

Edited by pvfd304 2011-12-23 1:18 PM
2011-12-23 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3951652

User image

Master

Depending on when your first event is scheduled, you may want to see if they have a duathlon. 

You can still get in your Bike and Run, prepping for the time when your shoulder is better.

2011-12-25 11:09 AM

User image

Wetumpka, AL

Greetings Eli

Name: Bufit / Neal

Story:  This time last year my wife had the idea that it would be fun for us to complete a local half marathon in October.  At this time last year I was not physically fit, used smokeless tobacco on a regular basis and thought "its only 13 miles, anyone can do this."  Well we started C25K in Jan in prep for a 5k in March.  I stopped dipping and followed the plan completing the 5k in 35ish minutes.  I stuck with running as I found it a good stress relief.  Since that first 5k I have completed 6 or 7 others, a 10k, half marathon then got froggy and signed up for a sprint tri this past september.  I was given a Trek 1000 from a friend and its been all down hill from there.  I am currently signed up for Augusta in Sept 2012.

Family:  Married for 9 1/2 years, no two legged children, 15 y/o blind diabetic blue heeler

Current Training:  I just go with the flow with no formal training schedule.  

2011 races:  numerous 5k's, 10k, Montgomery Half Marathon (2:40), Barbarian Challenge, local mud runs, Coastal Tri-it-on in Gulf Shores, impromptu/unsupported/just for fun Christmas Eve half (2:47)

2012 races: RNR New Orleans Full, IM Augusta 70.3, Montgomery Half, Coastal Tri, a couple of sprints for fine tuning, what ever looks fun

Weightloss:  Currently 235ish.  Would like to get in the area of 215-220

2011-12-25 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

NAME: Mitchparadise, Mitch

STORY: Did some college sports, track and basketball then spent the next 10-12 years in the bars drinking and drugging. sobered up and realized how out of shape I was when I could barely complete a 3 on 3 half court basketball game.  Started running again about 4 years ago.  Did a few 10k's, half marathons etc... started hitting goals I never thought I could again. Realized how much I missed being fit so I kicked it into gear last year.  I've only done 1 triathlon, which was a full Ironman in July.  (The Full Vineman) and I'm totally hooked on the long stuff.  I had serious nutrition problems but I finished the race and am now an Ironman.  I bought a bike about 4 months before the race so my cycling is horrible, swimming is ok (I train with masters), my running has never been better.

Just looking for some accountability.  I basically train alone so I like the idea of being part of a group for motivation etc..

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 23 month old daughter.  I originally got in shape because I knew I was going to have a family soon and have always wanted to be a superdad.

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train 4-6 days a week. I try to stay consistent.  Bought an indoor trainer for the bike so I'm starting to get on that at night for some extra bike work.  I haven't been to any Masters swims in about 2 months, but plan on getting back in 1st of year.   Running about 20-25 miles per week

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ironman California 70.3, Full Vineman, Xterra challenge trail run series.  10k's half marathons, maybe even a swim race????

2011 RACES:  This was an amazing year.  I put all my training into Vineman, but once I finished that I started demolishing all my running records.  I pr'd at all distances I ran.  5k -21.08, 10k - 44:42, half marathon - 1:49:29.  Plus I actually won my age group in a few 5k's with a 5th place overall in a trail run.

2012 goals: I need to work on my cycling, nutrition, but really want to train without injury and stay motivated.  I plan on doing more group things... Flexibility as well

I ready to go!!!  Let's do it this year!!!

2011-12-25 9:59 PM

User image

South Florida

NAME: Nick aka NV

STORY: I'm also a fellow stretch-armstrong. Standing 6'4" with a 37" inseam. Im all legs and have the seapost to prove it. Started doing tri's 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I've completed every distance from sprints to full irons. I've done a lot of trial and error with shoes/nutrition/gear. It took awhile to find what works for me. But think i have it down to a science. Until something new comes out then it screws me all up. This will be my 3rd year with Eli's group. Eli and I train together so we feed off of eachothers pace (sometimes leading to blowing up on a bike ride or run)

2011 RACES:    ING Half Marathon,Nautica South Beach Tri Olympic Distance, Great Floridian Ultra Distance 140.6

2012 Races: Ragnar Relay, ING Half Marathon, A1A Half Marathon, Intimidator 70.3 REV3 Florida.

2012 Goals: Last year was great, but training for a full iron distance drained me. So this year i'm sticking to HIM/HM and shorter. I've been in the FOP with my swim & bike, but my run needs serious work. REV3 will be my "A" race for 2012( October). So my goal is to get to run a SUB 1:40 or better and go sub 5 at 70.3

I ready to go!!!  Let's do it this year!!!

Edited by nvalaitis 2011-12-25 10:04 PM
2011-12-26 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3953271

User image

Master

Neal,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have quite the season set up. Getting ready for Augusta should be fun, and challenging.

2011-12-26 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3953470

User image

Master

Mitch,

Wow, that is an awesome story. Full IM distance for your first race! Plus, I am DYING to do Vineman.

I can relate to the long stuff. I really start to enjoy myself after about 2 hours. I will never be fast, but I am pretty good at not slowing down.

Glad to have you in the group, it sounds like you have a great season lined up.

2011-12-26 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3953635

User image

Master

Welcome back Nick!

Glad to have you join the group again. Looking forward to the training!

2011-12-26 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Have room for another?

Had a good group previously but need people a little more (for lack of better words) 'hardcore'.

NAME: Justin – 30y/o

STORY: Been doing triathlons for 2 years. Got into it by listening to a cocky coworker talking about doing a sprint triathlon and everyone at work thinking it was this big deal. I thought "How hard can it be?" Finished my first sprint and was bitten by the bug so to speak.

Family Status: Married with 2 daughters, ages 5 and 1. My wife is a marathoner so finding time to train is tough but we have been making it work.

CURRENT TRAINING: Light running (15 miles weekly) for the past couple months. After my Olympic in September I've done an 80 mile bike ride but that's about it.. I haven't swam since (we put our gym membership on hold but it starts back up January 1) and haven't been on the bike much either. Training will heat up in the beginning of January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A couple sprints and my first Olympic. It was a great experience. After my Olympic I think I like longer races over shorter ones. Sprints are all out for an hour whereas Olympics and longer you can pace yourself.

2012 RACES: Signing up for my first HIM next week. Due to scheduling conflicts and there being no HIM in my state I'm going to do Pigman 70.3 in Iowa. Right now I can't put down $200-$300 for a race and this race is under $100 and have heard great things about it.

WEIGHT LOSS: When I started 2 years ago I was hovering around 210lb which is the heaviest I've ever been. Currently I fluctuate between 180-185. I would get around 170.

2011-12-26 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3953936

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2011-12-26 8:49 AM

Mitch,

Wow, that is an awesome story. Full IM distance for your first race! Plus, I am DYING to do Vineman.

I can relate to the long stuff. I really start to enjoy myself after about 2 hours. I will never be fast, but I am pretty good at not slowing down.

Glad to have you in the group, it sounds like you have a great season lined up.

Thanks Eli.  The Vineman was amazing!  I highly recommend doing it.  The bike course was a bit relentless with the hills but the scenery made it somewhat bearable. Hopefully next time around I'll be able to enjoy the scenery rather than cursing it the whole time...

I'm really looking forward to being part of this group.  Gonna be a great year of training!

Justin, a $100 HIM sounds great.  One of the reasons I did the Vineman was they had a 3 for 2 deal which made it almost affordable...

2011-12-26 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3954110

User image

Master

Justin,

Welcome aboard! Not sure if we qualify as hardcore, but certainly dedicated to the lifestyle.

100.00 for an HIM is great. Nick V and I signed up for a HIM via a 3 for 2 type of deal, and it works out to be about 100.00 each.

Plus, we get to trash talk the whole training season.

Looking forward to having you in the group.

2011-12-27 10:11 AM

User image

Master

Whew, finally got the celebretory cobwebs out of my head and went for a run this morning!

Had a great holiday weekend, and am getting excited about planning next year now. I already have a bunch of races set up for the spring, so I need to make a plan to actually be ready for all of them!

Last year I sort of trained on autopilot, so I am planning to work a more formal plan this year, at least for the HIM in Puerto Rico.

Is anyone else already started on a plan?

2011-12-27 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

I started my HIM training plan last month for IM California 70.3.   It's been a tough start 'cause of sickness and holidays.  I'm currently in Maine and am getting my runs in almost zero degree weather.   Not bad for a So. Cal boy.  I'm trying to kick my swimming into gear.  Not following any specific plan.  In a perfect world I will do 4 runs (2 easy, 1  long and 1 with purpose), 3 bikes (1 easy, 1 speed/interval and 1 long ride) and at least 2 swims a week (starting Masters when I get home).  I train on RPE, with a Garmin watch so I'm not too scientific.  Hopefully I'll build to about 400 miles on the bike per month, 100 run and 18,000 swim but I will do what I can and not worry if I don't hit all my goals.  We all know how life gets in the way a bit.

Eli, good job on getting out.

2011-12-27 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3955354

User image

Master
Mitchparadise - 2011-12-27 11:21 AM

I started my HIM training plan last month for IM California 70.3.   It's been a tough start 'cause of sickness and holidays.  I'm currently in Maine and am getting my runs in almost zero degree weather.   Not bad for a So. Cal boy.  I'm trying to kick my swimming into gear.  Not following any specific plan.  In a perfect world I will do 4 runs (2 easy, 1  long and 1 with purpose), 3 bikes (1 easy, 1 speed/interval and 1 long ride) and at least 2 swims a week (starting Masters when I get home).  I train on RPE, with a Garmin watch so I'm not too scientific.  Hopefully I'll build to about 400 miles on the bike per month, 100 run and 18,000 swim but I will do what I can and not worry if I don't hit all my goals.  We all know how life gets in the way a bit.

Mitch, that is a good plan, and sounds alot like my perfect scenario.

I did mostly RPE with a similar plan last year. I did less overall running-about 800 miles for the year and more like 200 a month on the bike, but then again, i haven't been on the bike for 2 months, so it may have been closer to 300. I doubt I swim that much.

I use RPE for my general training, but used a plan with a lot of success two years ago. I have a HRM and also an Ibike which is a decent training tool.

I like to use a plan when I am targeting an improvement on one of the areas. Having more specific goals is a mental challenge, but it helps keep me focused. I have found that doing 1 ride and 1 run each week with more specific goals, especially intervals, can really boost performance for me.

What are you doing in Maine?

2011-12-27 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3955395

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2011-12-27 9:35 AM
Mitchparadise - 2011-12-27 11:21 AM

Mitch, that is a good plan, and sounds alot like my perfect scenario.

I did mostly RPE with a similar plan last year. I did less overall running-about 800 miles for the year and more like 200 a month on the bike, but then again, i haven't been on the bike for 2 months, so it may have been closer to 300. I doubt I swim that much.

I use RPE for my general training, but used a plan with a lot of success two years ago. I have a HRM and also an Ibike which is a decent training tool.

I like to use a plan when I am targeting an improvement on one of the areas. Having more specific goals is a mental challenge, but it helps keep me focused. I have found that doing 1 ride and 1 run each week with more specific goals, especially intervals, can really boost performance for me.

What are you doing in Maine?

I was thinking about using more of a plan for my bike.  I bought the indoor trainer so I could do more specific work, rather than just riding.  I've been thinking about getting a dvd or something with a specific bike workout with a specific goal in mind.  Mainly I just want to get faster and stronger and more efficient on the bike, so I can use my strength in running after I get off the bike.  

Been thinking I should start using a HRM.  I'm very in tune with my body when I run, but clueless as to what's going on on the bike.  What's an Ibike?

I'm in Maine visiting the mother-in-law for xmas. We're in Cherryfield Maine.  2 flights (1 was a redeye!)plus a 4 hour drive with a 23 month old.  That was like my ironman in itself.  I was very sick last week so I really needed to train this week.  The runs have been amazing but obviously no swimming or biking 'till I get back on Friday.

2011-12-27 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3955695

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Mitch,

I've heard nothing but good things about Jorge's winter cycling plan. I also heard that it's a program that definitely makes you work but has great outcomes. I'm going to start that beginning January 2. I do not have any early spring races planned and it's a 16 wk program. He has a plan for a power meter or a HRM. My HRM came with my Garmin 305 so I'm gonna try that one.  Click below and scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?l=0

2011-12-27 4:47 PM

User image

Master

I have also heard great things about Jorge's program, but I haven't used it.

I used many of the guidelines in Chris Carmichael's "Time Crunched Cyclist" a couple of years ago. It has a simple testing protocol and very specific guidelines for the rides. Even though it was geared towards cyclists only, I used the theory and did two of my workouts each week using those guidelines. 

It helped my bike fitness quite a bit.

2011-12-27 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Just found my planned races for next year and added them to my log. YIKES! Jan-March will be crazy.

2011-12-27 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3956367

User image

South Florida

Happy Tuesday! Just got back from a quick 3-miler. Nothing special, just an easy run to get my legs working again from Saturday's brick. Long run tomorrow night!

2011-12-27 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3955922

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

jpfeife - 2011-12-27 12:20 PM

Mitch,

I've heard nothing but good things about Jorge's winter cycling plan. I also heard that it's a program that definitely makes you work but has great outcomes. I'm going to start that beginning January 2. I do not have any early spring races planned and it's a 16 wk program. He has a plan for a power meter or a HRM. My HRM came with my Garmin 305 so I'm gonna try that one.  Click below and scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp

Thanks Justin.  That looks great.  Been thinking hard about HRM training and this looks like it could fit with the way I like to train. 

Eli, I will also be looking into Chris Carmichael as well.   I usually take bits and peices that work for me but I think I'm going to find the one that works for my training and stick with it.  I've never followed a specific plan to the tee but my cycling needs as much help as possible.  time in the saddle with purpose each ride is the only way.

Gonna try to get another run here in Maine before I leave Thursday morn.  Looking forward to getting back on the bike and in the water.  I really wanted some more cycling miles this year but we'll get 'em next.  I'm thinking about an Xterra 21k on Jan 8th.  Haven't quite trained for it specifically but they are so much fun and so freakin hard I love it.  Haven't had a long run in a few weeks but I feel fully recharged and ready to go!

Eli, your race sched looks like a lot of fun.  That 1st quarter of races should really set you up for a great year. 

2011-12-27 8:28 PM

User image

Master

Mitch,

Your Maine running sounds like a blast. An Xterra sounds like fun. They have a few trail run type races down here, but I haven't tried on yet.

Nick,

Where are you running long?

2011-12-28 11:27 AM

Hoping you still have room and wouldn't mind someone in the small department, seriously I am only 5'2".  I totally love the name of this group and hope that this sense of humor pervades the training attitudes!

I am currently living in DC and loving it.  I was a high school soccer player and recreational fitness fanatic coming out of college.  I bought my first bike in 2009 and adore riding.   I wanted to do a Sprint before I turned 30 and managed to do several in 2010.  (I am 28 now.)  I was trainined and ready for an Olympic distance in 2010, but was unable to compete due to the fact that I moved my life from upstate NY to the DC area the same weekend of the race.  After the move I had so much going on with work and had to invest in getting settled into a new life.  Now that I finally feel settled in, have friends, and know the area I am ready to get back into a training regime. 

I abosolutely love to ride and I have a pretty natural ablity for swimming.  But, unless I am chasing a soccer ball, I am a pretty poor runner.   But, that's fine.  I do what I can. 

I am married (almost 5 years, yikes) with no kids or pets.  Small DC apartment and new job!

I have already signed up for the Richmond Half Ironman and am I scared I am going to get my handed to me.  I was in a newbie group in 2010, but almost all of the women that belonged to it quit within in 2 months.  I am looking for a group that has a little more stick-to-it-tiveness and hope you'll let me join you all!

Thanks!

Jessie

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16