BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - Re-Opened Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-12-30 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - Re-Opened

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY:  A new tri season is upon us, I am here daily for advice and to read and would be willing to share and encourage others immediately.

GROUP FOCUS: I am going into my third season of competing/challenging myself.  When I started running I was well over 250# (308# at my heaviest) ... started with 5k's, then added mud runs, adventure races, some du's tri's and an Xterra event.  Big guys and gals can get faster and go from BUP to MUP and in some cases podium as an Athena or Clyde ... this group will look to help motivate these athletes.

NAME: Paul

STORY: I am 41 years old and in my third season of triathlon.  In 2006 I almost died when my diverticulitis caused my intestines to rupture.  I had a life saving surgery and had a colostomy bag for a few months.  Now instead of being healthier after this I actually got worse and ballooned up to 308# (I am 6'2").  Found out I needed a hernia operation and the doctor encouraged me to lose 30# prior to the surgery.  I accomplished this by light running on a treadmill and some weight work at the gym.  After that I decided that I wanted to get healthier and see my kids grow up so I got heavy into muy thai training.  After two years of 3-4 times a week I was able to punch and kick, knee and throw elbows like a mad man but I went for a run and realized my cardio was terrible.  In 2009 in conjunction with muy thai I started running again and joined the local pool and started swimming.  Had a few injuries (broken foot, torn labrum, dislocated shoulder) that made me decide being almost 40 and sparring 20 year olds was not good for my health.  I decided with my sisters encouragement to start running in 5k's and did my first race in over 20 years in March of 2011.  I was coming off a shoulder injury that had me laid up for 3 months - I weighed 265# ... I crossed the finish line and I was hooked.  A whole bunch of foot races and a few mud runs followed and in September of 2011 now at 235# I finished my first sprint Triathlon.  Had an up and down season last year with a hip injury and a broken clavicle but still got in a bunch of races.  Looking forward to a much more fruitful 2013.   

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married 17 years to my wife Lydia and we live on Long Island a suburb of NYC.  Our two boys, Wells (8) and Gus (6) both run 5k and mud races as well as wrestle and kickbox, swim and track which pull us every which way.  My wife works in NYC and I work for FedEx in Brooklyn - my hours are not what a typical person works so this makes life "interesting"

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been concentrating in the off season on improving my running.  I got a foot pod and have been working on cadence and speed on shorter runs (3-5 miles) and been working on my stride on longer runs (8-14 miles).  My first marathon is in late February and most of my training in the off season has been focused on being able to do that distance in hopefully under 4 hours.  I have been biking on the trainer but my swimming has been non-existent since my last race.  January will see the return of swim sessions and my start with a tri coach.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did a total of 10 races (12 events in 2012) and was forced to miss 4 races (5 events) I paid for in 2012 due to injuries.  I ran my first half marathon in March and met my goal of sub 2 hours.  I then overtrained and ended up injuring my hip (found out I needed orthotics which made a HUGE difference).  Did 2 races on the bum hip, a duathlon and a mini-sprint and was completely hobbled on the runs.  Was forced to drop out of my next race (another half marathon) as I sought PT and Chiropractic help.  I had been heavily focused on training for the NY Gran Fondo since the winter and on my final training ride (May 12th) I crashed and broke my right clavicle in 2 places which knocked me out of that event, my next two scheduled sprints and a mud run.  I came back with a century ride and then finally did my first sprint of the season in August.   Did a second sprint in late August and scored a podium for the first time (third place Clyde).  September did the Mighty Hamptons Olympic and Pocono Mountains 70.3 Ironman event (my season's A race).  Finished the year off with a new 5k PR in October and a new 5 mile PK at a November Turkey trot.

2013 RACES:  I am looking for improvement in my runs - vast improvements.  I have 21 events planned from January to October.  A whole bunch of runs (5k's, HM, and a Marathon) but my A race of the year will be IM Lake Placid.  I have a HIM on my schedule for May and plan to attend a IMLP training camp.  My schedule also includes a number of OWS events though with my repeated shoulder issues this remains a question mark.  

WEIGHT LOSS:  I went into the Pocono HIM at 218# the lightest I have been since college over 20 years ago.  This year my goal is to be at 190# by Lake Placid.  So I am looking to lose over 30#.  My wife also bought me a Gift Certificate for a Max VO2 & Anaerobic Threshold Test for Christmas which I am hoping will help my coach and better attune my training to maximize weight loss and gain speed.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been in awesome mentor groups the last two years and even if I do get chosen to be a mentor I am planning to join a group that has some guys focused on IM and HIM training as I am sure I will be seeking advice as well.  A good part of staying the path with training is encouragement of your peers and I will hopefully be able to challenge and inspire this group of peers with my own trails and tribulations with training and how to balance work/home/training which is a struggle for any working stiff who likes to tri.

Edited by BigPaulD 2013-04-06 12:06 PM

2013-01-06 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4553821

Subject: RE: TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - OPEN

Hello Paul, I would like to join.

Name: Jimmy

STORY: I am a first year dental student at the University of Washington in Seattle. I just got interested in doing triathlons and I am joining in hopes of gathering information for doing one this summer, either the half or full ironman. Played football, lacrosse and swam in high school. Not much of a long distance runner but have done 2 full marathons. I have also done local bike rides (200 mile one day rides) so long distance biking is my strongest aspect.

FAMILY STATUS:  Unmarried

CURRENT TRAINING:  Casual exercise (basketball)

2012 RACES:  Seattle Marathon, Seattle to Portland (STP) Bike Ride (204 miles)

2013 RACES:  STP, Hope to do full ironman

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  None

GOALS:  Do my first full ironman

2013-01-06 9:44 PM
in reply to: #4564945

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - OPEN

Hello Jimmy ...

Definitely sounds like you have the base to be a competitor in the world of triathlon.  Would be happy to have you part of the group.  

There seem to be a good number of options for sprint distance races in your local area which I would strongly encourage you look at ...  Washington State Triathlons ... you may want to cut your teeth on the shorter distance to figure out how transitions work and what gear works best for you.  

I have begun my IM training and have 7 months to be ready - I am not sure what races you are looking at but most IM branded races are sold out a year in advance - I don't see any local HIM or full Iron distance races listed now in WA - what were you considering?  Whatever race you choose you do not want it too close to either of your planned races (the marathon and bike event) ...

2013-01-07 12:12 AM

Thank you Paul.

I am glad to be a part of this group. Thank you for that link, I will definitely have to check it out. However, I dont plan on being able to do much competing due to school, saving my money for big events. I am planning on doing either the Lake Stevens HIM or full in Whistler but pay for a foundation slot (unless you know of someone or somewhere where I can get a general entry slot, is there such a place where I can do that?) or both.

So you are training for a full IM? Is it Lake Placid? How has that been coming along? What does a typical week of training for you look like? Glad to meet you and I look forward to our future interactions.

Best wishes,

Jimmy

2013-01-07 12:31 PM

User image

Hello.  I would like to join your group, please.

Name: Kimmy

STORY: I'm married, and in my mid forties.  I signed up for EagleMan AquaBike, and am doing my best on my own to train and get ready.   I have never done something like this before, so I'm a bit lost with how stuff works.  I will likely ask a lot of very basic questions.

CURRENT TRAINING:  elliptical, bike, swimming, turbo kickboxing, strength training, zumba

2012 RACES:  Some 5Ks, a Mud run/obstacle course

2013 RACES:  EagleMan AquaBike

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  I have already lost 80 pounds.  I'm in it to lose 80 more.

GOALS:  Survive EagleMan Aquabike.  Finish. 

2013-01-07 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4566280

User image

Veteran

Wow Kimmy - 80 pounds lost already that is hugely impressive.

Took me almost 2 years to lose 70 pounds and another 2 to keep another 15 off so I know where you are coming from.  My final weight loss goal is another 20# can't lose anymore than that and not look sick so that is the plan.

Would love to have you in the group.

Some questions for you ...

Why did you opt for the Aquabike rather then the whole thing - is it the distance of the run that is intimidating?

What is your strength in regards to the three disciplines and your weakness?

How often do you train now and do you schedule in a rest day?

You have four solid months of training between now and your race and then your taper - do you plan to do a sprint before Eagleman to work on your transitions and make sure you are comfortable with your swim/bike racing gear?

2013-01-07 4:27 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hi Guys, this sounds like my sort of group. Especially the weightloss focus.

Name: Andrew

STORY: My story is a long one, it began a few years ago, in mid 2009. I weighed about 300lbs at that stage and one thing led to another, I finally found the motivation to lose some weight. During the weight-loss process I discovered running, and by December that year had dropped to 220lbs and ran my first HM (2:20:xx)

Unfortunately, as many others have discovered, the hardest part of loosing weight is making the change permanent. in 2010 I started my multi sport adventure (my first Duathlon) but my weight crept back up to 260lbs. I turned it around again and by the end of the year was back to 220lbs, and dropped my HM time to 2:10:xx. 

In 2011 I competed in my first tri, 2 sprints in the NZ summer, my weight continued to bounce around between 210-240lbs and I began training for my first HIM in December 2011, unfortunately I tried to ramp up my training to fast and ended up injured for the 2nd half of the year. 

2012. I began the year slowly, building up my training after the injury. I tried to focus on consistent training, and a consistently improved diet. I competed in 4 tris, 1 du, my first century ride and a HM where I set a PR of 2:03:xx 2012 has been by far my best year, and I'm looking forward to building on it, and achieving even more in 2013

FAMILY STATUS:  Unmarried,

CURRENT TRAINING: Slipped a bit over the Xmas period, but averaging about 10 hours / week S/B/R before then. Aiming to increase this over 2013

2012 RACES:  

2013 RACES:  The list at the moment. It will change over time. Only the first 2 are paid for. 

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  As I talked about in my story I ave struggled with making my weight-loss permanent. This year my first goal is to get back below 220lbs (and stay there) long term I think I should weigh around 180-190lbs. My goal is to get close, and as I get close determine what a healthy weight for me is. 

I am using MyFitnessPal to help manage my diet. I used it for about 4 months last year, losing 20lbs before slipping over the Xmas period. As of today, I'm back on the wagon. 

GOALS:  

• Finish Ironman Auckland 70.3
  • Continue to build my base fitness level
  • Get to a healthy weight
  • Starting to think about a possible 2014 Ironman.
2013-01-07 10:58 PM

User image

Hi Paul. Thanks! I am really trying to do things I enjoy, and I love to swim and bike. Running isn't my favorite, so much, so I was looking for Aquabike/aquavelo events specifically. Because I am still heavy, I also prefer not to have a lot of high impact on my knees until I get down to a lighter weight. I happened on Eagleman when I was looking for an event, and signed up before I lost courage. Right now I am scheduling "light" workout days instead of rest days. I do fitness classes 4x/week and have created a training plan on this site. I am doing biking on a stationary trainer during the week and popping my bike out for long rides on the weekend. I did 15 miles on Sunday and have 26 miles planes for this coming Saturday. When I get my speed up, I will try to do some rides with a local cycling group I just joined the local Aquatic center, and though I'm a strong swimmer, will be trying to get some help with what to do to get faster and have better technique.
2013-01-08 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4566782

User image

Veteran

Andrew ... seems we are very similar in our weight and injury issues.  I am hopeful that this season will be injury free so I can reap the benefits of all my training and those last annoying pounds will come off with focus and determination.

Looks like your big races are coming up - how has your training gone for your HIM?  You should be in taper now did you follow a training plan or come up with something of your own?

Apologies for taking a full day to reply but I wanted to read all your race reports.  The Northern Crossing Du sounds like the type of race I would be inclined to sign up for - but seeing how it's in another hemisphere I guess that won't be happening.  It's clear you know where your strengths and weaknesses are - and what you should and shouldn't be doing (partying before your HM) ... but you are a young athletic guy and you can meet and surpass your goals as long as you stay focused.

Best of luck at Auckland ... what are your concerns regarding the course and have you ridden/run it in practice?

2013-01-08 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hi Paul, 

Up until the last week in December, my training had been going very well. Unfortunately I slipped over the holidays and never really 'peaked' as I had planned too. With hindsight maybe doing the HIM option before Christmas would have been a better plan. Oh well, too late to change that now. 

I'm using my own plan, which I'm constantly adjusting as I feel I need rest or can handle a higher load. A typical week for me (when things are going well) would be something like: 

M am swim, pm medium run

T am short run, pm bike (intervals)

W am swim, pm long run

T am short run, pm bike (steady effort)

F am swim, pm medium run

S long bike

S rest/recovery run

To be honest it's a rare week when I get all my workouts in. I particularly struggle with getting to the pool. But that's the general plan I work towards, and I've made improvements across the board last year following it. I might have made more progress being coached, or even using a canned plan, but reading about the sport and trying to figure this out for myself is something that I enjoy. So for now at least I'm planning to stick to the self coached thing. (Very open to suggestions/advice tho

I definitely know my weakness... it's consistency. With my weight, and my training, the last 3-4 years has been a story of 2 steps forward, and 1 back. I'm in much better shape than I was. But I could/should be in better still if not for all my setbacks (mostly self inflicted

I've done a lot of training, and even racing (my olympic in December shared most of the course) on the most of the bike/run course for the HIM. The only part I haven't been on is the first 1/3 of the bike which is on the motorway, and closed to bikes. That's also the part I'm most worried about, as its the only hilly part of the course and this body was not made for climbing. The rest of the ride and the entire run is along the waterfront, so nice and flat and fast. Hopefully if we will get a good day with light winds. 

I do have quite a soft spot for the northern crossing... it's the race that started me on this journey and the reason I brought my first road bike. There's something very satisfying with beginning the day on the west coast of the country, and ending it on the east...

2013-01-09 10:27 AM

User image

Paul, I realized I should better address each question:

Why did you opt for the Aquabike rather then the whole thing - is it the distance of the run that is intimidating? 

Yes.  The run as a whole is intimidating.  I can sort of slow jog a 5K right now, and my knees usually ache after.  At 237, my doc would like to see me get another 30-40 pounds off before I do any serious running.  She has blessed me for the elliptical trainer, so I'm doing my "runs"on that right now.

What is your strength in regards to the three disciplines and your weakness?  Strongest - swimming, Medium - Cycling,  Weakest - running

How often do you train now and do you schedule in a rest day? 

I have been training every day,  (Saturday it was an easy day though - just Zumba class) but after my attempt at a long swim last night I'm feeling kind of weak today.  I'm supposed to do cardio kickboxing tonight, along with my 40 minutes on the elliptical and and a 40 minute bike workout, but I'm not sure my body is completely on board.  Tomorrow would make an excellent rest day, since I have no paid activities scheduled, but I think I may have to move at least the elliptical and bike to tomorrow.

You have four solid months of training between now and your race and then your taper - do you plan to do a sprint before Eagleman to work on your transitions and make sure you are comfortable with your swim/bike racing gear? 

I bought some books from amazon on training for my first tri, so I am looking forward to learning more about things like transitions and tapers.  I hadn't considered doing a sprint before EagleMan.  I'm so focused on just getting ready and finishing my aquabike with a smile on my face.  I really don't know how it works with going from swim to bike and setting up my gear at all.  Maybe I should go and volunteer/attend a race just to see how the transitions work?   I'm hoping in 4-5 months to be fitting differently into a wetsuit, so I'll probably put that purchase off.   I have a nice hybrid bike that is probably 20 years old, and I have a helmet and a swimsuit.  Im using the bike in a stationary trainer during the week, and out on the road on weekends.  I have a lot to learn and a lot to do just to gear up.  

2013-01-09 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran

My coach gave me a weights workout today that proved to me that my core is very weak and I need some serious work ... always good to be humbled but after a 12 hour work day; a gym workout and a few hours with the kiddies I am shot.

Thanks for the deeper insight into your training, goals and strengths - keep posting your progression - any progression.  You'll find that sharing is helpful - I know it has been for me.

Today I did 6 exercises and it whupped me ...  Decline bench sit ups 30x3, Pull ups (I was unable to do the number I was told I could only do 4 ... had to switch to chin ups and was still only able to do 8 more), Lunges with weights each set increasing (my legs still burn), Dead lift into shoulder shrugs (I am pretty sure I did this all wrong as it seemed too easy), Leg Presses (increased weight each set and lowered reps), Medicine Ball twists (I was rolling on the floor with a ball and had to look ridiculous (and I think I was using the wrong form) ... humbling to say the least.

After work tomorrow all I have on tap is a MAx V02 & Anaerobic Threshold Test then I will delve into your posts ... stay positive each day you TRI is a step in the right direction.

2013-01-10 12:26 AM

Wow Kimmy and Andrew! You guys are so inspiring! That is amazing how far you have come. Best wishes to you guys, I know you will do it. Please keep us posted.
2013-01-10 12:42 PM

Hey Paul,

I'm coming into the sport never having never competed in any multi sport races. I have managed a couple 5k runs but I'm ready for a new challenge.

I love to swim, love to bike but running has never been "fun".

I'm entering the sport heavy about 245#'s which is down from 285-290 about 5 years ago.

Its been a struggle but the encouragement of a group will definitely help me on this journey

I look forward to joining and input and wisdom from anyone.

Jordan 
Nashville TN
2013-01-10 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4568589

User image

Veteran

Andrew ...

I can totally sympathize with the "not always getting your workouts in".  We are not pro's.  We have our responsibilities of job and family and whatever else that gets in the way - but keep planning your weeks - if you don't plan them it becomes much easier to not do anything at all.

Your two a day workouts are not something I could ever logistically do ... do you ever do bricks where you swim/run or swim/bike or bike/run right after each other?  With your HIM looming I would think you may want to test your self by doing some bricks even if the second activity is abbreviated.

Other than our age difference - my weight and training struggles have been similar to yours - thankfully the off season for triathlon is my peak season at work so I am not training hard anyway - the problem I have is keeping the holiday weight off - as you have also attested to.  One of the ways I combated this is for the 5 days a week that I work I eat almost the exact same meal for breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack.  The only meal I do differently is dinner.  I have been able to follow a fairly structured diet that way.  I am very thankful to no longer work in the food industry as that only added to my unhealthiness and constantly tested my will power.  You have to find out what works for you - I need structure.  

I like beer - I switched to Michelob Ultra and have one with dinner a few nights a week.  I get a 6 pack on Sundays and it will last the week (sometimes 2) again when I want to drink a beer and chill - at least I won't feel too guilty about it.

Knowledge of the course you are racing is really important - in my opinion - to having a positive experience.  You know the course for your HIM - a huge plus - there should be no surprises on race day.  I have tried to ride my car on every bike course prior to a race and take my bike on the course prior to race day if I can - if you know when the hills and turns and potential confusing areas are if nothing else you should be more relaxed on the bike.

Let's hear what your training plan is for the next three days ... and then follow up with what/how it all worked out.  

2013-01-10 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4569857

User image

Veteran

Kimmy - thanks for the more in-depth responses.

I raced my first season as a not very in shape 240# ... season 2 I was less "loose in the cage" but still 230# at the start of the season (was 215#) at my HIM.    This year I am starting my training at 215# with an end goal of racing Lake Placid at 190# ... chip away ... 

The elliptical was my buddy long before I ever considered a 5k - helped me drop my first 50# (that and the dreaded stairmaster) ... you have to walk before you run the saying goes - you are on your way in that regard.

I think cycling is what I am best at, followed by swimming, then running.  That is why I am so focused on the run now, correcting my biggest area of opportunity.  Since you are comfortable biking think of ways you can strengthen your biking to be even stronger in that regard - get on that trainer  (I don't ride outside from Dec-Feb) but since you do more power to you ... ride girl!

Remember to always listen to your body - there is being sore from working out hard and being sore because you hurt yourself.  My coach has said I have to take a day off - I said can I do yoga or stretching or a kempo video - his response was your body need to recover - we need that day off - it may fly in the face of reason when we all have an end game in sight (and believe me - I am stressed considering having days off).  Sounds like you trust yourself in this regard so listen to your body and don't overdo it.

In your Aquabike you will have one transition.  You will need to strip off your wetsuit, goggles, and swim cap - put on your helmet, maybe sunglasses, and bike shoes and head out.  If you volunteer at an event - ask to work transition - they will have you direct athletes during set up and point them the right direction in the race (and at the same time you can watch and learn).  You have 6 months to build up to a 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike ride.  The only RACE is against yourself - as long as you don't lose sight of this on race day you will have a positive experience.  We can discuss race nutrition on the bike in the future, it will be important.

2013-01-10 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4572205

User image

Veteran

Hello Jordon from Nashville - welcome to the BT forums and this group!

Here is a link to some races in your state Tennessee Tri's ...

Think about your goals for the 2013 race season - is it to complete a triathlon?  If so what distance?  

Running was something I dreaded and knew to be my weakness - I have been trying hard to make it my strength - you can too!  Looking forward to working with you to achieve your goals.

2013-01-10 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

Hey Paul...  I love that there is a group for Clydes/Athenas and would like to join.

NAME: tricupcake - Kim

STORY: Since I was 8, I have struggled with my weight.  Over the course of the summer between my second and third grade years, I went from being a skinny kid to a chubby one.  I always found it odd that could pinpoint it to that summer.  So odd, that I asked my mom multiple times if anything traumatic happened to me during that time period.  Nothing had happened to me so I was left with a mystery.

I was always an active kid (riding bikes all the time and swimming in the neighbors pool every day it was warm enough to do so), but was always chubby.  Even when I was on the basketball and volleyball teams in middle school, I was still the fat girl on the team.  Nothing ever seemed to work.  My mom also struggled with her weight and we dieted together on and off for close to 20 years.  I was recently diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndorme (PCOS) and based on the difficulty I've had losing weight over the years (one of the symptoms of PCOS), my chubbiness finally made sense.  I have been at my highest (250) several times and my lowest in at least the last 10 years was 209.

I did my first race, a sprint, in 2008.  At the time, I was going through a divorce from my ex-husband and had picked up some destructive habits the previous year, including smoking, and decided in January that I was going to do my first race in June.  I trained by myself and became a triathlete on 6/22/2008.  I wasn't fast, but my goal was to just finish and I did.  It was seriously the proudest time of my life, especially since my soon to be ex was doing everything he could to discourage me in my pursuit.  After my race, I then went back to my couch potato ways for a couple of years.  One victory in the midst of all of this, after several attempts, I managed to quit smoking in 2009.  in 2010, I had a torn meniscus and in 2011, I began an extended fight with plantar faciitis which didn't clear up the end of 2011.  I managed to eek out another sprint race in June of 2011, but due to the extreme pain from my plantar faciitis, I was very lucky to even finish.  Since then, I haven't done much except have bunion surgery in April.  Needless to say, I'm hoping for an injury and pain free 2013!

Admittedly, I have used my surgery as an excuse for not getting my butt into the gym and because of that, I went ahead and registered for a sprint in June.  It's the same race I've run both times before and I want to be proud of my finish this time. I also want to feel like I look halfway decent in spandex!  To do this, I know that I must be more consistent in my nutrition and training and I'm going to need some motivation along the way.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 2 and a half years with 2 dogs and a cat

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in my first week of the Michael Pates plan.

2013 RACES:  For now just the sprint in June, but I would really like to be able to run an entire 5k somtime this year.

WEIGHT LOSS: I started this year at 250+, but thanks to adopting a low-carb lifestyle, I'm down to around 225.  I would like to lose about 8 pounds a month next year.  My nutrition has been ok, but I want to improve on it.

2013-01-10 9:02 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hi Kim, welcome to the group! There's plenty of training time between now and June, so there's no question you're going to nail that sprint! 

Paul, I actually find 2 a days work better for me, a short 20-30 minute session in the morning, and 60-90 minutes in the evenings. I prefer to break up the workload than try to always be doing longer sessions once a day. But, I do live on my own which makes things easy, no wife or kids or anything to worry about leaving at home. I'm also luck with work, my pool is 5 minutes from the office, and if we aren't busy the boss has no problem with me ducking out at lunch for a quick swim. 

When I'm doing well with my nutrition I'm pretty similar to you, eating pretty much the same meals all the time. It definitely makes it easier to keep track of what you are eating. At the moment it's a case of trying to get back in the routine of eating right. I need to re-break those bad habits I picked up again over Xmas. 

My next 3 days training is going to be something like: 

F am swim, pm 90 min bike at about HIM effort (got busy at work today and missed the swim, not the best start)

S long bike, 3-3 1/2 hours 

S Easy run, 45 - 60 minutes (depending on what the weather's like I may switch sat/sun around)

I have done bricks in the past, and I'll probably do 1 or 2 next week in the run up to race day. But to be honest I don't really seem to struggle with running off the bike. In fact I've tended to over preform in races compared to my training. (these are famous last words, which are going to haunt me 1/2 way through the HIM run I'm sure)

Have a good weekend everyone

2013-01-11 1:15 AM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

This sounds like a decent place for me!

NAME: Brad

STORY: I'm 27 years old and living in Lexington, KY. I have had trouble with my weight for as long as I can remember, with the exception of about a year after highschool that I somehow stayed around 190# without ever exercising. I'm pretty sure it had to do with the extreme lifestyle change of working 3rd shift (10:30pm-7:15am). I went to dayshift at my job and gained it all back over the next few years. I got up to 235# and jumped on the P90x bandwagon and got down to 212#. That didn't last long after I was done... lol. Over a lot of changes in life (School, Job, Marriage...) I gained it all back and then some. In August 2012 I weighed 254#, the heaviest I've ever been, and had to do something about it. I started riding a cheap bicycle on a local trail and changed my diet a little bit and dropped a few pounds. I found I really enjoy riding though, so I got a real road bike and jumped into cycling pretty deep. I was riding every day for at least 15 or 20 miles. While out riding one day I came across a triathlon in progress and a light clicked on in my head. I always enjoyed swimming, and never lose a race at the family reunions and summer pool parties, and I love riding a bike, why not learn to run a little bit and do one of these things!? (I'll get deeper into my trials and tribulations of running later on). That brings me to where I am now in life. I am working 3rd shift at Toyota Motor Manufacturing KY as a maintenance mechanic/electrician, fixing CNC machining equipment and robots that make the V-6 engines in Camrys, Avalons, Siennas, and Venzas. I am down to 220# from the little bit of un-structured training I have done in the past 4-5 months. I'm now training for my first races and to hopefully get under that 200 mark again!    

FAMILY STATUS: Maried since May 2011. No kids, just a 13 year old Rat Terrier. Kids are planned for the near future though...

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently doing the 13 week sprint training program from this site. I am on my first week as I started Jan, 7th for the new year. I have kept my training logs up since I found this site, so they are current with a little history. I just finished Couch to 5k in December before the holidays, and running is still my weakest link. Having just started swim training this week, I found that I am terribly slow with even worse form. It was pretty humbling that both of the people in the lanes beside me were over 60 and lapped me time and time again.....

2012 RACES: Only a charity 3k in the spring before getting in shape. I walked the entire thing with a friend and finished 4th from last....

2013 RACES:  Planning to do at least 2 sprints and would Love to do an Olympic distance at the end of summer if it feels right and there is one in my area. I am planning to squeeze in some 5ks here and there, maybe even a 10k, but none set in stone yet.   

WEIGHT LOSS: Started in August at 254# and have gotten down to 220#. Would love to get below 200 before summer!

2013-01-11 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4571250

User image

Thanks Jimmy! 

2013-01-11 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4572829

User image

Thank you Paul.  Great advice.  I'm so happy to have a mentor and be part of the group.  I did trust my body, and took a rest day yesterday.  This morning I woke up sore.  Not injured, just lactic acid.  I think that's kind of strange that I didn't seem sore the whole week I was training, but when I rested, I got sore.  Ha!  Go figure.

I have a rail-trail ride in Maryland planned for tomorrow, and it's 26 miles roundtrip between Baltimore and Annapolis.  I'm so excited that I actually get to schedule a day to go ride my bike.  I feel like a kid who gets to play on the weekend.  Today I got the Triathlete Magazine Guide To Finishing Your First Triathlon, and I'm digging into that. 

2013-01-11 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

Does anyone else have the problem of psyching yourself out mentally?  I often tell myself that I can't do such and such because of my weight.  I think that this is my main problem with running.  I have had so many dreams about running that involve me running super long distances and feeling so free while doing it.  Then when I wake up and get to the gym, everything is bouncing around and the last thing I feel is free.

Anyone have thoughts on how to overcome this?

2013-01-11 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4574393

User image

Veteran

Hello Kim ... welcome to the group!

In your initial post you did not say where you were from - do you do most of your training now in the gym or outside?  Don't worry about the epic runs ... I never thought they would come for me but now I can put down a half marathon at a pretty good pace in training and I am sure I can take it up a notch in a race.  Baby steps - do the elliptical and the treadmill or get outside and walk to jog at first.

I get twinges of being self conscious next to some of the svelte competitors out there but it passes - are you out there to impress them or better yourself?  I like to think that the double takes I get is because  I am a scary looking tattooed goon rather than a larger than normal sized competitor Laughing

About the only time I will psyche myself out of a workout is if I am so dead from work that I am nodding off while driving home and if the weather is miserable.  I don't want to work out but I know when I get out there and do it and those endorphins kick in I will feel bliss for a little while despite my doldrums.  

2013-01-11 4:46 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
I hated running... I'm starting to enjoy it more now though now that it isn't so hard... I just focused on improving my form, thinking about every step, and it started passing the time faster and completely eliminated my knee pain.Now my issue is swimming. I think feeling confident about it before I started training is what makes me so discouraged now. I went to the pool for my second training session today. It seemed like a complete fail... Lol. I was trying to focus on some tips of proper form that I read online and did good for about 25 yds, then it went to hell when I got winded. I think my core strength is the biggest culprit, because I feel like I can't stay level in the water. That could also be from problems with my breathing though, because I'm having a hard time keeping my head down without sucking in a ton of water...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - Re-Opened Rss Feed  

of 16