Sport Northland
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 28s
Overall Rank = 72/111
Age Group = Men Open
Age Group Rank = 22/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15am, loaded the bike onto the ute and on the road by 5:45. Had a coffee and BLT sandwich for breakfast on the drive. Arrived at the venue about an hour before start. Pre registered so set up transition, and just hung around and tried to relax until race time.
Event warmup:

No warm up. Had planned to go for a swim before the race, but the tide was a long way out so missed it.
Swim
  • 09m 22s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started at the back to avoid being swum over. Once around the first buoy was able to overtake many other athletes. Took about half the swim to feel comfortable. But once there things went well. I do think that I swim much smother in the pool, more OWS practice is needed.
What would you do differently?:

1. Go for a pre race swim. OWS always seems to take a few minutes for me to feel comfortable. A warm up should help me feel good right from the start I hope.
2. More OWS Practice. I had wanted to have done 1-2 OWS already this year. his was my first.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Top half of the wetsuit was off before getting to transition. The bottom half came off easily, sun glasses then helmet on. Socks and bike shoes on. I lost a little time on the shoes, tried to do it standing up and got a little unbalanced. Un rack bike and jog it to the start of the ride.

Practice. I hadn't practiced at all, so am pleasantly surprised with how well it went. With practice I'm sure I can drop more time tho.
Bike
  • 37m
  • 17 kms
  • 27.57 km/hr
Comments:

I know that I'm running slow at the moment, so my plan going in was to go hard on the bike and I did (and then survive the run). Possibly too hard up the hill out of transition. But kept pushing hard the whole way and finished 2 minutes faster than last years effort.

Take the first few minutes a bit easier. I think that the big hill to start with took a lot out of me, and I would have been better to save that energy.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Kept the bike shoes on until racking the bike. Slight difficulty getting the helmet straps tangled with my sunglasses. Other than that all good. But like T1 very pleased with how it went.

Practice!
Run
  • 27m 26s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 29s  min/km
Comments:

Slow. Felt awful. But I was expecting that. Over took a few people, and got overtaken by some. Think I pretty much stayed in the same position overall. Walked through the drink station at half way.

Was surprised at the pace I finished with, I think it's actually shorter than 5km but I was only 1 minute slower than last year so happy with that.

I'm still easing back into running post calf injury. As I get my mileage back up the run will improve.
Post race
Warm down:

Short walk after finishing and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Weight, I'm well above fighting weight, and 4kg heavier than last year. I need to drop if I want to do well in this sport.
2. Lack of run training, Past experience tells me that I need at least 30-35km/week before I start running well. Still a few months away from that.

Event comments:

Beautiful part of the world, great scenery and a really enjoyable friendly/relaxed atmosphere about the whole thing.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-02-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:22 | 500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/111
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Short swim out into the channel, then about 400m with the strong tide down the beach, and a final 100m into the beach across the tide. A long (1 min or so) run from the end of the swim back to transition, so actual swim time probably around 8:30
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:00 | 17 kms | 27.57 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Up a hill straight out of transition, nice decent down the other side and then climbing for the next 5-6km. Quite a fast decent down to sea level followed by a flat section. 2 short sharp climbs to finish and a netural (No overtaking) zone back down the hill to transition
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:26 | 05 kms | 05m 29s  min/km
Performance: Below average
Course: Up and down the same hill as the start of the bike. Then a flat out and back before going over the hill again on the way to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes