General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tapering Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-20 9:02 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: tapering

Hi all, I'm new to this.  Anyway, I'm doing my first tri this weekend, and I'm feeling blue with my tapering.  I have been training so hard, and it's really a shock to my system to not be doing much.  I did about 30 minutes of light running today, and plan to swim a bit tomorrow.  Is this a normal feeling?  Also, starting to doubt my preparedness.  Normal too?

Thanks!

2008-08-20 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1617730

User image

Veteran
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: tapering
Both are normal, I think. While I don't know if you are prepared or not, I will say this: tapering will not make you less prepared than not tapering. Hopefully your anxious/excited/jittery feeling will increase to the point where you have a great race.
2008-08-21 8:53 AM

User image

West Simsbury, CT
This is very normal. The act of tapering can be a shock to your system as you are finally giving your body a chance to actually heal all the damage you've done to it. Some days you will feel like a world beater and others will make you feel like you won't even be able to finish!Both feelings are normal. During a taper your body is rebuilding and healing itself at a cellular level. The rest you are giving your body is also producing extra glycogen (muscular fuel) that you otherwise have been spending in training. So, on days that you feel great, you are feeling the effects of your body healing itself and having access to more fuel that is going unspent. On days that you feel bad, your body is in a rebuilding phase that can feel quite taxing as your muscles are literally rebuilding themselves with the extra nutrients/energy present in your body.So, stay true to your plan and simply call upon your mental discipline in knowing that you are getting stronger with every day of your taper. Remember, the only time you are ever getting stronger is in bed sleeping or resting. The act of training is a form of trauma to your body and rest is the only time you are allowing your body the ability to get stronger.
2008-08-21 9:39 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks all.  I'm getting excited about Saturday - I know I've done the training I should, it's just so hard to sit back and wait now!  Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tapering Rss Feed