General Discussion Triathlon Talk » breaking in orthotics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-25 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Subject: breaking in orthotics
I just got orthotics for over-pronation that was giving me some bad knee problems (pfs/cp).  My arches aren't flat, just flatten because my ankles roll in, and I was told by two different podiatrists that OTC orthotics wouldn't work for me.  Got em casted and then when I came back for the "second fitting", they were basically handed to me by the nurse with whatever brochure came with the brand.  I was kind of annoyed I had to even make an appointment since I put em in my shoes myself.

So, with no further instruction, I'm curious about feedback from folks who got custom orthotics (primarily for a similar reason):
-How long did it take you to break them in?
-Did you do anything different to break them in other than just starting running a little at a time?  Any other exercises or PT recommended to get you used to the new position?
-Did you need to get them adjusted?  If so how did you know they weren't quite right?
-Did you feel an immediate benefit with your run?  A benefit over time?

Thanks!

2009-08-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2369441

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: breaking in orthotics
doh!  meant to post to Injuries & Health Issues.
2009-08-25 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2369441

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
How long to break them in I think depends a little bit on whether you've ever worn them or not.  I've worn custom orthotics for over a decade...so when I get a new pair my break in period is less than someone who has never owned a pair.

To break them in, you FIRST should wear them just walking around.  Don't even try running in them yet.  I would do that for at least a week.  In fact, most of them recommend wearing them for an hour the first day, two hours the second day, etc. until you can wear them all day for normal activities.

For running you can either back up your volume to where you are only running very very short distances to start out then up your distance slowly.  Last time I couldn't really afford to drop my distance so what we did was I alternated...10 minutes with the new orthotics, 10 minutes with the old ones, repeat.  It was annoying, but it worked.  After about a week I was able to run in them exclusively.  For what it's worth, I actually attempted the first run in them as a 40' straight thinking that was "short" for me at that point.  BAD IDEA.  I had all sorts of pains in one of my legs and had to quit about 25' in.  Did the alternating thing instead for about a week and was fine.

How are you going to know if they are okay?  Something is going to hurt.  For the first new set I got earlier this year it was a spot on my kneecap.  It was consistently hurting for several week so I went back to the orthotics place and told them where the pain was and they did some grinding.  It stopped after that so I guessed the tweak worked.

When I got the second new pair and tried to run 40' in them I had a bad pain in my hip and hamstring.

So, trust me...if they are not right, you'll know.
2009-08-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2369673

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
jldicarlo - 2009-08-25 2:04 PM How long to break them in I think depends a little bit on whether you've ever worn them or not.  I've worn custom orthotics for over a decade...so when I get a new pair my break in period is less than someone who has never owned a pair.

Thanks, Jennifer!

I've never owned a pair before, which is why I'm clueless.  I did the whole walking in them for a week, and had no real problem taking an hour-long stroll on the first day and doing a little bit of jogging here and there in the first week.  My run volume is next to nil right now, so I feel like I'm almost completely starting over, anyway.  I guess my other concern is that I haven't been without knee pain since the beginning of the calendar year, so don't know what to expect in the knee department.

Did you get them for knee issues?  Do you remember how your adjusting period went when you first started wearing them?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » breaking in orthotics Rss Feed