UK Triathlon Forum England » Me again, sorru to be a pain. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-04 9:26 AM

Subject: Me again, sorru to be a pain.
Hi again,

I'm now starting to do my own head in.  I want to train but a) I dont own a bike b) 5 days a week may be a bit tough due to my wife and nipper.  I'm sure some of you chaps will be the same too.

Can anyone help when it comes to time inputted so early on.  I want to do it but just going to find it hard to commit that much.

2010-03-04 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2706945

User image

Lowell, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Me again, sorru to be a pain.
Hey Micky, 
No worries about being a pain, we're all beginners at one time or another.

Not owning a bike is probably going to be the biggest issue, but even that can be easily overcome. You could beg or borrow one or look for a used model.  But, even before you start working on your bike leg, you've got plenty to work on if you're like I was when I started.

The most important thing you can do is start establishing a habit of fitness.  This means grabbing the trainers and  heading out for a jog whenever you can find time.  You can also start to work on your diet.

If you belong to a gym, you can start working on your cycling on the stationary bikes or going to a spinning class.  

Ditto on swimming.  If your gym has a pool, hop in.  If you're not a gym member, it's time to pony up and join.  You'll need a place to work out when the weather's bad, plus hanging out with gym people helps you get in the mindset.  You might even meet someone with a nice used bike to buy.

Good luck,

Eric 
2010-03-05 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
As far as the bike is concerned, just remeber you don't need anything fancy to begin with. My bike is a 27yr old bike I stole borrowed from my cousin and my mate has just bought his bike off ebay for less than £30.
2010-03-15 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Hi Mick, i second everything eric said, bikes are fun and fancy but can be costly, so work on the other 2 parts while its pretty crappy outside and start thinking about a bike, dont forget the cycle to work scheme, you can save 30% off a bike just by ordering it through a government scheme,,,,,google away !!

Regards to squeezing it all in, start off being realistic, dont set rediculous training plans which will fizzle out after 3 days, be realistic, start slowly getting into a healthy routine and the more u get into it the more time you will make for it, so a 20 min run may seem pointmess but thats a good 3 mile time to aim for, its all worthwhile too.

appologise for my crappy grammer and spelling, i am in a rush to feed kids, clean car, write report for work and swim 1500 m !! haha !!

T
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » Me again, sorru to be a pain. Rss Feed