United States
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 00m 42s
Overall Rank = 1655/2855
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 284/401
Pre-race routine:

This was my first Triathlon EVER!!! Talk about being nervous. I was doing it with my mother and cousin to get in shape for my wedding that is July 9. We trained with the Danskin Training team--Thank God. We would have been lost if we wouldn't have done that. We were still like deer in headlights but not as bad if we would have trained by ourselves.

We got to the race at 5:30 and got on a bus to the starting line and transition area. Mom's started at 7:12, Angel at 8:04 and me at 8:16. We went to the transition area to get ready and air our tires. Then we went into stress mode. We couldn't get our tires aired up and then mom realized she had a flat. It being our first tri were aren't exactly experienced in changing tires. Luckily we racked with our training team and one of the ladies fix it for us and aired up all of our tires. Talk about feeling helpless. By now it is 7:00. Mom has enough time to stop by the port-a-potty and get in line. What a morning.
Event warmup:

Stretched alittle, had a banana, a clif bar and a sports drink.
Swim
  • 26m 54s
  • 800 yards
  • 03m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was proud of myself. I had a goal not to stop or grab a Danskin angle or grab onto one of the floating things. I don't think most races have these things but Danskin does. A lot of people needed help so I am proud do say that I was not one of them
What would you do differently?:

I will learn to improve my swimming techinques. My swimming is by the far the worst event. I was nervous going into it. Once I was done with the swimming I know I would be ok.
Transition 1
  • 04m 38s
Bike
  • 52m 31s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 14.17 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike route felt good. It gave me a little time to rest--in a sense. There were some hills though--steep. They were hard but there were a lot of women walking their bike. Something I have never done and wasn't going to.

I will kick a little more butt. I was scared to push myself too hard b/c I didn't want to tire my legs out for the run. I don't have enough expereince to know who much I can do right now. I think I could have speed it up though.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Run
  • 34m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I think i did fairly good on the run course. I told myself I wasn't going to walk and the only time that I did was while I was drinkin water. I was pretty proud about that. I also didn't want to walk on that bitch of a hill and I didn't.

I want to work on my endurance and speed. I think i did pretty good but would like to improve.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think lack of experience.Also my goal was to finish, not walk, and finish in 2 hours. I did that. Hopefully my goal next time will be to beat my time and perform faster.

Event comments:

The race was great. I didn't expect it to be as much fun as it was. It was a great expereince. It is also addicting. I now like to work out and I like being in shape. Doing the triathlon makes me want to do more. Not for the competitivnes but for the active, heathy lifestyle. I will do a 5K in August, another Triathlon in September--Splash Tri at Sea World and I am also hoping to do the 3M Half Marathon in January. It is exciting to think these weren't even goals of mine b/c I didn't think I could do them and now they are all things I have done and will continue to do.

Last updated: 2005-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:54 | 800 yards | 03m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/401
Overall: 2228/2855
Performance: Below average
Suit: two-piece tri suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:31 | 12.4 miles | 14.17 mile/hr
Overall: 1664/2855
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly--four tough hills. Rough road.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:15 | 03.1 miles | 11m 03s  min/mile
Overall: 1153/2855
Performance: Average
Course: a rough path. Not on the road. Ran around the park area. Huge hill at the end of the race. TOUGH
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-22 9:12 AM

Subject: Danskin Triathlon

2005-06-23 9:17 PM
in reply to: #180714

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Subject: RE: Danskin Triathlon

Many,

Great job! Loved reading your report, I'm doing my first in July and am can't wait!

Pam

2005-06-24 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congratulations on your first tri   thats so cool you did it with your mom... I did Danskin in Orlando..Isn't Sally Edwards so cool !!!  Keep training and have fun
2005-06-29 9:27 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Race!! You did it!!

Good Luck on your upcoming wedding!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Triathlon Rss Feed