General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Near term addition of HIM to training program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-12 11:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Near term addition of HIM to training program
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of training for an Olympic Distance tri. The past 4 summers, I've dabbled in Oly's (one per summer) and Sprints (1-3 per summer). I'm in good athletic shape, strong in running and cycling, and need lots of work in swimming. My Oly is in 6 weeks... All I can say is that I need to get my a** in the pool, and focus more on climbing for my one big climb on the bike course... other than that, I think I'm doing pretty good on my training.

Yesterday I ran a half-marathon and in the elation of my runner's high, signed myself up for a HIM only three weeks after my Oly. It's the Boulder Peak and the Boulder 5430 Long Course. Not sure what I was thinking, as there is another long course in CO in mid-September that would have been better for timing, but I got a little carried away and went ahead with the registration.....Yikes!

Overall my training has been 3 runs/week (each about 45-60 minutes), 3 bike/week (1 long ride about 35-40 miles, and 2 shorter rides about 12 miles), swims per week has been sporadic at best.

My goal plan is: Monday (60" swim). Tuesday (Run 45"). Wednesday (60" swim. 60" Ride). Thursday (45" run). Friday (Bike 60". Swim 60"). Saturday (Endurance Brick 2-3 hours). Sunday (alternate Run & Bike, 2 hrs.)

So... with what I've been doing and what I'd like to commit to doing.... do you think this is doable? I am OK with saying that I just want to finish the race but I also don't want to be the last one on the course. Thoughts?! Your input is much appreciated!!!

2006-06-13 11:34 AM
in reply to: #452184

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Near term addition of HIM to training program
So, I'm replying to my own post. LOL

Last night spent 35 min cycling, and then 30 min UB weights. This morning I got up extra early and got my sleepy self to the pool. I swam 1200, and felt good. I know I have a long ways to go on this but... I'm trying.

Thoughts on my training program outlined above?
2006-06-13 11:49 AM
in reply to: #452184

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You can probably finish the HIM, but you haven't given yourself a lot of time to prepare. 

If you've just done a half-marathon I assume your long run has gotten up near 2hrs.  You won't need to run much longer than that in training.  You should get your long bike to at least 3hrs (and preferably do that more than 1x)--sounds like you are @2hrs so should be doable.  Swim as often as you can so that you're not wiped after the first leg, but the swim is only a little further than your oly so if you've done this in the past you should be able to manage.

Work on your nutrition/hydration while riding & running.  On race day focus on that and pacing (ez effort thoughout the swim & bike at a minimum).  Don't worry about times at all.

2006-06-16 2:33 PM
in reply to: #452690

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Excellent! Thank you for your feedback. I'm nervous but very excited to try a new distance!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Near term addition of HIM to training program Rss Feed