BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group 2011 edition - CLOSED for 2011 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-12-28 9:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: left.right.repeat group 2011 edition - CLOSED for 2011

Name:  Left.right.repeat aka Bryan

Story:  This is my fourth year as a mentor.  My group will be a little different from many of them on here and I want to explain how.  I have a couple of folks from my first group, a couple from my second group, several from my third year and then we will be adding those of you who might be interested.  The group is male and female, evenly divided, from Canada and Boston to Louisiana and Texas.  All middle aged  (don't tell them I said that)....my 50 year mid life crisis in 2009 was my first Ironman - I finished IM Arizona in November.  Two of our 2010 members did IM Louisville and one of our other members completed IM Arizona in 2010 but don't let that intimidate you...several just did their first sprint in 2009 or 2010.  We are a welcoming group that is looking to add some new blood and excitement.  Join this group and benefit from several wicked smart mentors.  So if you are looking for experienced Ironman finishers in your group, we may be for you.  If you are just starting in the sport, we are a fun welcoming group evenly divided between men and women and we are ALL a lot of fun.  FYI, there are two female IM finishers and two male IM finishers - we don't discriminate.

Family: Married with an adult daughter

Current Training/2011 Races:  Half Marathon, Olympic triathlon, Half Ironman, Ironman Arizona and other epic endurance events.

2009 Races:  Houston Marathon, CapTexTri, Austin Triathlon, Prairieman HIM, Ironman Arizona and several other events.

2010 Races:  Disney half marathon, America's Run half, Texas Independence Relay (203 miles), CapTexTri, Austin Triathlon, LiveStrong Challenge, Tour de Cure, Ironman Florida and a few others.

Weightloss: 46 pounds in less than 36 months

What makes me a good mentor:  The other people in the group....LOL....we have fun.  Seriously, we have history.  Once you are in the group and we close it, we will move you all to our base group where there are over 200 pages of posts equalling over 4000 messages which you will want to read....there's history in there and a TON of answers to your questions.

So, fire away, all questions are appropriate and will be answered....come join us....tell me who you are and why you want to join our team.

Bryan

Edited by left.right.repeat 2011-01-17 6:46 PM

2011-01-12 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3265459

User image

Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group 2011 edition - open
Bryan, would like to join your group, your pitch is interesting...    I've thought about mentoring but feel that perhaps being part of a group is a better fit for now... I am coming back from nearly two years off due to medical issues.

About me:  44 yo married, no kids.  Ex NCAA water polo player (a loooong time ago) that started working and got fat and lazy.  When I hit 275, started doing something about it food wise, and got down to 240 or so.  I also started swimming to try to get back in shape.  Met triathletes.  The old story, you know how it goes.

Did my first tri in 2005, sprints in '05, Olys in '06, HIMs in '07, HIMs and IMAZ in '08, one HIM '09.  Plus a ton of other 5/10Ks, a couple half marys, a few centuries, lots of OWS.

I am FOP swim, MOP bike and BOP run

As for the medical issues that knocked me out, a few weeks after doing Wildflower long in 09, was put in the hospital with multiple pulmonary emboli (blood clots) after weeks of unexplained shortness of breath.  Ironically, I was in the best "shape" of my life.  Had to cancel a ton of races, including Alcatraz Challenge and SOS.  Went on blood thinners through Dec. 09, 3 months after stopping I got the PEs again, so now I am on for life, or "indefinitely" as the docs like to say     Had some lung damage that healed, but to this day on hard efforts I get that "having swum in chlorine" burn on occasion.  There are some issues with cycling on thinners, so i ride the CT during the week, and ride outside on the weekends.  Yes, it is a risk, my wife and I are fully aware of and on board with.  So is my doc, though maybe not on board, but he puts up with it.  Can't live in bubble wrap after all. 

I've done a few races since the initial diagnosis.  1 mile swim about 6 weeks post hospital.  then a trail 12K and a sprint tri in late '10.  But it's been inconsistent as various injuries have popped up as I've tried to come back slowly.  I am learning that I can't pick up where I left off.  So it's really a comeback.  But with a bit of a different perspective.  Right now, I don't want to PR the HIM I am signed up for this year, I want to: (1) get to the start line healthy (2) finish and (3) have fun

Never really was able to lose a ton of weight, lowest was about 225 for IMAZ.  I am back to about 240, depending on the day.  Would like to make that a focus of 2011, but I need accountability on that front.  Initial goal is to get to 220. 

Races planned for 2011
Oceanside 70.3

Thinking about and will probably do
Redondo Sprint tri - June
Pier to Pier swim - Aug.
Playa del Rey sprint - Oct

Thinking about, might do
Alcatraz Challenge
Sharkfest
Superfrog
Various swims, bikes, runs... etc.

I have a good core group of folks that I train with regularly, swim masters, and am following Jorge's cycling plan to get to Oceanside. 

Anyway, that's the short, long or medium version, depending on your perspective.

Chris

Edited by ChrisM 2011-01-12 6:39 PM
2011-01-12 9:02 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area
Hi there Bryan, is this mentor group still open?
I am new to tri.  Infact, I am a little new to most of this. After getting up to 280 pounds last year my awesome wife never stopped encouraging me to get fit again.  I joined her and since July 2010 through eating right and a lot of hard work I am down to 215 pounds. 

I have five awesome kids (4 girls, 1 boy).  I am 36 years old. Born and raised in California and I love it here (most of the time)

After doing our first 5k together on Thankgiving we started looking at Tri's as a motivator for ongoing training and a target.  After looking into it and reading a few books we are hooked.  We have signed up for the Wildflower Triathlon in May and cant wait.  I feel pretty good.  Only minor set back is a surgury I had been putting off but had last week.   I should be recovered enough to begin a 12 week training program the first week in Feb.

Swimming is my weak point for sure.  I can "swim to live" for sure.  But swimming and breathing and putting that all together is new.  I hit the pool hard once I got my surgury date last month.  I wanted to go out feeling some type of improvement.  That seemed to work as I was able to beging to swim a breath.  May not sound like much but it was major for me.

Biking is my strong and natural part.  I love the biking.  As a kid I spent more time on pedals then I did on the ground.  I raced BMX bike for about 9 years and won the U.S. Nationals several times. I have been doing a lot of spin classes and real road rides.  I love it and always feel strong on the bike.

Running used to be no problem as a kid. As an adult I have found it a bit challanging.  I am not super worried about it.  After the 5k and a 10k with some run training it seems to be coming back.

I purchased a Felt S32 today that I found on Craigslist and could not pass up. Laying in bed recouping from surury I feel a little fustrated.  Buying the bike made me feel like I did something toward my goal. Plus I have been looking at it for some time now.  Speaking of goals.  My first sprint is in May.  Once that is done the sky is the limit.  Dreams of Dreams I would like to do an Iron man.  I know I am a big dreamer. Hope to join a group.  I liked the "left right left"  as that is how I feel about most things. Dont overthink them just one step at a time.

Edited by graham1728 2011-01-13 3:48 PM
2011-01-13 9:00 AM

Veteran
Quail Valley

I want to join the group because there is more than one person with IM experience and especially Louisville. I will be doing my first IMLOU in august. I have done 2 sprints in the past a few years ago but got hit by a truck training for my third one. Haven't been on a bike since. I have ran Boston, been a pro/expert quad racer, place second at the regional olympic trials in greco roman wrestling among other things. I am now 37 and decided I better try and check IM off my to do list. My goal is to finish. My brother in law bought me the book Iron Fit so I am planning on following that workout program but feel I could benifit from some support. I look forward a great 2011 and talking to the group.

2011-01-13 12:46 PM

User image

Cedar City, Utah
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Pick me!  Pick me!

Hi, my name is Todd, from So. Utah.  39, married and father of 5 (3 girls/2 boys - 14, 12, 9, 6, 3).  Boring family-life to say the least.  It's always so quiet I often fall asleep while eating dinner!

I want to join the group because I'm left handed and left.right.repeat suits me better than right.left.repeat. j/k  Seriously, I know the value of community/peer support/accountability.  Anything in my life I've achieved worth bragging about has been the result of a group effort (my kids/family for example).  This group *begin subliminal message* will provide that support I need to complete my first triathlon this year and IM St George in 2015.  Pick me! Pick me!*end subliminal message*

On the tri-side of things, I'm as noob as they come.

Swimming:  Infant.  Went to a pool last week and swam a lap the first time since swim lessons as a little, little kid.  Did a whole lap froggie-style without stopping. Lol, don't even know the stroke name... then I swam 4 laps 'modified' breath-stroke, pausing 3-4 times a lap to catch my breath when I couldn't hold it any longer.  I have since ordered Total Immersion for Noobs and will 'dive' into that later this week/next.  My biggest weakness for sure.

Biking/Cycling:  Beginner.  Never been on a road bike, although I'm surrounded by friends and extended family that compete in centuries, Lotoja, etc.  They tell me not worry, that my big thighs and butt will serve me well on that front.

Running:  Average.  Here's something I have done.  Played soccer for 14 years.  Was in Cross-Country and track in high school, but stopped from horrible shin-splints.  Stationary running in the deep-end of a pool 4 days a week, was not my idea of fun.  I have since learned a proper shoe and inserts make all the difference.  4-5 years ago, my weight at the time of 225, encouraged me to get into shape again and start running.  Figured training for half-marathons would drop the weight the fastest since it burned the most calories.  Competed in two races and gained weight both times.  -Didn't know that it was bad eating a whole pizza instead of a half, even though I was burning 1,000 calories a run.  Hah!  Go figure!

Nutrition:  I'm pretty good at that.  Two years ago, I totally immersed myself in fitness and nutrition, dropping over 40 lbs and was in the shape of my life.  I occasionally even slept with a HR monitor on to track my recovery.  I have since enjoyed paying it forward and coaching people on the weight loss side of things.  My wife lost 80 lbs after our last child and has kept it off.  Helped a friend lose over 250 lbs over one year, and no, he wasn't in a casket.   *He started at 500 lbs.*  He did all the hard work, I just dawned the skirt and pom poms and cheered away.

So, I'll tell you now, my two biggest challenges will be swimming and rest/recovery.  I get only half the sleep I'm supposed to get already so preventing injury will be my top priority.

So..permission to enter the room of brilliance?
2011-01-13 1:56 PM

New user

Hi! I am inquiring to see if you still have room in your group. I am mom of 4 [10, 8, 7,5] and work full-time, plus all kids do sports.  We are blended family, so have two of the kids half of the time, however, we support all the kids during their sporting events which range from baseball, football, skiing, soccer, and swimming. I am really wanting to race the Boise 70.3 in June, and then do a couple Oly's after that.

In respects to the discplines, I have am strong swimmer, one season under my belt cyclist, and three years at running. I have run 4 half marathons, and completed 18.7 miles in a marathon [sidelined due to medical issue], and several smaller distances.

Let me know if you have room in the group!

Cheers!

2011-01-13 3:30 PM

New user

Boston

Hi Bryan,

I’d love to join your group – it sounds like an invaluable resource for a guy like me.  Sign me up!

I’ll probably be one of the ‘younger’ guys in the group – I’m 27 and dating a very special young lady who I hope will become my training partner.  I work as a small business accountant & advisor in Boston and am entering my second season of endurance racing.

Historically I’d never been a terribly athletic guy, but I got away with good genetics and a fairly healthy diet.  That said, prior to a year ago I’d never run more than a mile in my life, I hadn’t swam a lap since junior high school swim lessons, and my department store hybrid bicycle was purely recreational.  Besides the occasional “resolution” bout of exercise, the highlights of my athletic routine included ultimate Frisbee, dodgeball and snowboarding.

Try as I might, I’d never been successful developing a “three days a week in the gym” routine.  I’d be motivated for six, eight, twelve weeks, then I’d get bored or distracted and fall off the wagon for six months.  I was nine months deep into a particularly bad “off the wagon” bout when I began to realize that my lifestyle was catching up with me, and even my recreational endeavors were being affected.  Then by a strange turn of events, I found myself training for a three hour Spinning fundraiser.  Then my training partner and I trained for and ran a half marathon.  Then came a sprint triathlon.

Throughout this process, I dropped 40 lbs, got the racing bug, and realized the key to consistency with exercise: competition.  When I had a short term goal to work towards, a race that was six, eight or twelve weeks away, keeping to a training schedule was easy.  And so long as I had another race lined up after the first one was over, I’d keep it up.

My first year I completed a three hour Spinning fundraiser, a sprint triathlon, two half marathons, an Olympic distance triathlon, and a marathon.  This year I will improve upon my times and finish a half Ironman.  Next year, full Ironman.

I hope ya’ll can help me!

2011-01-13 5:14 PM

User image

[tap tap]... this thing on?
2011-01-14 10:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Yes....it is working....sorry I have been travelling two days for work and honestly didn't know Ron had opened my group until this morning. I have skimmed your posts at this point and you ate all welcome from this side. I will be back this evening with more information and some specific thoughts for each of you. Thanks for your interest.
2011-01-14 12:11 PM

Wasaga Beach
Heya!

I'm not really an expert at selling myself so please excuse the short application...

I'm a 42 yr. old father of 3 (all boys, aged 21, 11, 9).  I worked in the auto industry for 15 years until an illness forced me to take disability retirement.  I've been trying to manage my illness for the past 4 years and have finally (hopefully...) turned the corner to recovery.

I finally feel more desire to be active than not and I've chosen a Give-it-a-Tri as my goal.  Of course I must reverse the effects of years of inactivity.  

My fitness history includes:
Hockey - in my teens
Bodybuilding  - starting in college lasting for @ 4 years 
Australian Rules Football - my early thirties , ending with knee surgery. 

I been taught that asking for help before I get into trouble is a positive long term strategy for success..(: and thats why I'm looking for a mentor.  Your description of your team and the wisdom and knowledge available to someone like me would be incalculably valuable.

Thanks for your time.

Glenn
2011-01-14 9:43 PM

NW Pennsylvania
My name is Jennifer and I would like to join your group. I'm almost 50 (!) and have 2 kids and 4 cats. I have done only sprint distance triathlons (starting about 4-5 years ago), and I didn't race last year. My training has been uneven at best this past year and I really want to get back into it and train for a couple of races this year with the goal of eventually doing an Olympic distance. My job and kids keep me really busy, so it's sometimes a challenge to get training time in. I don't have any real strength--my open water swims are usually an exercise in survival and I'm delighted if I can finish the run in under 9 min miles. I guess I'm best at the bike (though not great). I would love to get more comfortable in the water, increase my speed and endurance on the run, and get some technique on the bike and make that work for me.   I need help getting and staying motivated!

Thanks!

2011-01-14 11:24 PM

Regular
California

Hello Bryan,

I would like to join your group if there it is still open.

About me:

44, married to a wonderful woman, 11 kids (yes eleven) but they are all old enough to fend for themselves (2 college graduates, 3 in college, 1 married, 1 in the army….the list goes on). Born and raised in the San Francisco bay area.

I’m just starting out, so assume zero fitness level. I was very active in my younger days and was in pretty good shape though never ran, biked or swam for distance (I don’t even currently own a bike). I have always held interest in distance running but could never find the time to train. I am now in a place where I can put that time in but I’d rather do more than just run.

I’m a highly competitive person and LOVE to compete. My ultimate GAOL is to compete at the highest level in an IM, but I will of course work my way to that goal by running the 5k’s and sprints.

I’ll be researching bikes so I can get out of the gym and on to the streets.

Looking forward to hearing from you and can’t wait to get started!

Pace13 (aka Jeff)

2011-01-15 1:52 AM

Hi Bryan,

I would love to join your group!  I am pretty new to triathlons and I think I will be a good fit for your group.

Name: RVD/Dan

Story: I have the kind of crazy busy lifestyle that shocks most people.  In a typical weekday, I get up at 8am (I'm not a morning person), go to work until 6:30, go to the gym at 7:30, work out until 8:45, get home at 9:00, eat dinner and rest until 10:30, work some more until 1:30 and then crash in bed.  On weekends, I try to take a break from work and try to fit in a 30-50 mile bike ride in the morning.  I have a 4 (almost 5) year old son that I try to spend time with whenever I can.  On most weekends I am either traveling, volunteering, or taking part in a race.  Since October, I have been at home on the weekend exactly 3 times.  But believe it or not, my schedule is better now than it was before because I was also going to school part time from 2008-2010 and finally graduated with another degree in May 2010!

After graduation from school, I wanted another challenge so I trained for my first half marathon and completed it in July 2010.  I barely finished it though.

I then started to train for my first triathlon (sprint) at the LA triathlon.  I completed it successfully in Oct 2010.

I bought a road bike a few years ago and am very comfortable riding.  It is clearly my best sport among the 3.

My swimming isn't great but I spent July-October focusing on the swim by swimming 3-4X/wk at the local pool + going out into the ocean every few weeks with my wetsuit.  I'm ok at the swim.

My weakest is by far the run.  I have been trying to train but simply cannot seem to make any progress.  I am embarrassingly slow.  I run about 2 miles every other day and it takes about almost 30 minutes.  I run a 12 min mile pace for 1 mile, then stop and walk / jog / run for another mile.  I don't think I'll ever be a fast runner but I'd like to be somewhat respectable (10 minute miles?).  I actually think my run will only get faster if I lose some weight.  I just love to eat.  I'm 5'8", 190 pounds.  I should get down to 165-170 to be competitive.

I really need to lose some weight and work on my running.  I don't really have any specific triathlon goes (I'm happy just finishing) but I guess I'd like to be somewhat competitive.

Family Status:
  Married, 4 year old son.  38 years old.

Current Training:  Long bike rides every other weekend or so.  I try to bike to work (20 miles each way) when I can.  Run 2 miles every other day.  Not swimming now but will get back into it in another month or so.

Races:  I plan to take part in 2 olympic distance triathlons in 2011 (Treasure Island in July and Malibu in Sept).  

I am also running my local Redondo Beach 10k (although I'm running the 5k part) in Feb.

I am volunteering (riding my bike to lead the runners) at the LA 13.1 in Jan.

I am try to fit in a bike century this year.

I hope to be able to join your group!
2011-01-15 2:54 AM

2011-01-15 2:54 AM

2011-01-15 3:04 AM
in reply to: #3300964

Dear Brian and all the other interested ladies and gents. I would love to be able to be part of your group as i too love a bit of humor and sarcasm......life is too short. My name is Andrew Skinner, hence the school nickname os skinny...But not sure if global boundaries limit people to your group.?. I just hit 50, live and currently work in Bali Indonesia. Yes you guest it a rush of blood on new years eve.....Bali Olympic Triathalon end of july.2011. So want to do it. But not sure how all this blog and mentoring stuff works. I have always tried to keep in shape.......never smoked, can do 10ks last week in 56.29, and for the last 2 weeks biking 15 ks to work and 15 ks home... 3 times a week ( 2nd week ) :-). I am overloaded with where to start, the jargon, the equipment ....... everything in fact. Ohter than i am really getting the bug !!. by the way swimming gotta get my head around that one..!!.  As said not sure how this all works I assume i wait to hear from you.........all the best Skinny

2011-01-15 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
Hi...I would like to join.  I am in my fourth year of triathlons.  This year I am doing IRONMAN FLORIDA in November..This will be my first full.  Last year I did New Orleans 70.3, a few olympic distance races and Augusta 70.3. 

Depending on how you look at things, I am either a brilliant well balanced triathlete or a piker.  I came in 3rd for my division, athena, in Augusta.  So basically I am a good fat girl triathlete...I am 42 but act like I am 30...I love micro brew beer as much as I love crossing the finish line so its often a struggle figuring out which thing my weekend will be about...beer or a faster run....I have two small kids, I am a lawyer and I love this sport.  I am married but er..well...sigh.....

This year I changed coaches.  I am invigorated both by a new coach and by the daunting prospect of doing the full.  I volunteered in Florida to get my spot and even with all the races I have done there is nothing like the big show.  It just feels different...even as a spectator..I am both excited and scared to to death...

Like a lot of triathletes I am all about the bike...I heart my zipps...I have had some blazing bike splits followed by some utterly horrid walk/runs...I try and try to calm down and take it easier on the bike but I just love my pathetic moment of glory passing people...as the 70 year old man who ran by me at St. Anthonys said..."see you shouldnt have passed me on the bike..."

My goals for 2011:
Finish florida before the cutoff
Less beer, faster runs
that I feel at the end of the season I worked harded and was more disciplined than the year before.

I hope you have room for me and I look forward to getting to know this group...Cool
2011-01-15 1:30 PM

Extreme Veteran

Wow - what a cool group of people....you are alll in as far as I am concerned.  Let me tell you a bit how this will work and then we will get about our business of incorporating you all into the main group. 

I started this three years ago and each year have added people and people drop out.  When I first started, Ron wanted you to mentor 5-7, now this year it is around 15....reason being that so many fall out, fall away, do one and they are done, etc.  I will say that EVERYONE who has ever been in my group has found their finish line that year - or they lied about it - and I don't want to think that.  Each year, we have a few folks hang around (we can't get rid of a couple of them - smile).  We have a lot of fun and are all FRIENDS.  We give each other a hug when needed and a kick in the butt when necessary.  I can assure you the collective knowledge in the group/team (I really like that Glenn called them a TEAM - I am using that from here on) will get you to your finish line as comfortably as possible.  Jeff - I recognize your competitiveness - you will find that on our team although many are limited by genetics and/or age....for example, in my head I am a Kenyan but on the street I am an old dude.....just slow.....but I keep going like that pesky bunny...I don't stop.

So here is a bit more about me....at 47, after a day at the emergency room with two swollen disks in my back -L4/L5 and L5/S1, the doc told me my back was a problem but he was really shocked I had not had a heart attack and said "you have two choices, you will take better care of yourself or you will die" (I had not been to the doctor in a few years).  This was Jan 2007.....high blood pressure, high cholestrol, pre-diabetic, too much stress, work too much, eat poorly, overweight by about 40 pounds or more....just a typical business man who had been sedentary for 25 years....I raced sailboats through my 30s at a highly competitive level but that was just an excuse to drink....seems sailing and drinking go together....by the way, I still like a martini or a beer - I am not crazy....

So we joined a gym - my wife had it narrowed down to two and I picked the one between work and home - the other one was past our house and I KNEW that I would not PASS my house to go work out.  I went to the gym and told a trainer, if this hurts, I WILL QUIT - I am a devout coward.  He said "then we can't let it hurt" and I was off to the races.  Two months later I was at a spin class on a Sat morning and after a particularly tough class, I was in the locker room and there was a guy, about my age, who had been in the class, putting on a pair of swim trunks - I asked what he was doing, he said he was going swimming.  Me: "after that????????" Him: "yes, I do some triathlons and I have to swim today too, hey, you should come do one with me."  Now THAT was the FUNNIEST thing I had ever heard and I laughed out loud at him.  But he had planted a seed.  That day I started researching triathlon and was intrigued.  I kept it to myself.  About two weeks later I screwed up the courage to mention it to my wife (by the way, it could have all ended right here if she had laughed) so I said "what would you think if I said I wanted to do a triathlon?" She said "I think that would be great" "But I need a bike" "So we get a bike" and so on.  Her encouragement has been priceless -- the lesson -- find an encourager - anybody - if it is not your spouse, find a friend, a co-worker, me, someone else on the team....you need it.  There will come a time when you want to quit - either through fear or just being tired, you need someone with you on this journey.

So I did my first and second sprint in the fall of 07, my first half marathon in Feb 08, May 08 was my first Olympic, Oct 08 for my first half Ironman, my first marathon in Jan 09, my first Ironman in Nov 09, my second Ironman in Nov 10.  I am signed up for IM Arizona in 2011.  There have been a ton of other races but we can talk about those later.  I always have another event on the calendar.  It keeps me working.

So there is more about me.....

2011-01-15 1:59 PM

Extreme Veteran

Now about you --

Chris - congrats on your IM finish in 2008, I was a volunteer at the finish line that year to sign up for 2009.  I also volunteered there this year and got to hang out with Chrissie for quite a while after she finished...she is way cool.  Take care of the health issues - you will want to closely monitor the effects of your training on your health as you dial it up.

Graham - welcome - while you are new, you can also be smart - and I think that's where our team can help you.  Don't worry about the swim - everybody worries about the swim - we will get you through it. 

Phil - IMLOU this year --- WOOHOOO!!!!!!!  We have IMLou experience in the house....you are in for a great year my friend...I am very impressed with the Greco Roman wrestling stuff - I have had an opportunity to meet a few Olympic athletes and one of them was Jeff Blatnick.

Todd - HILARIOUS - since you are left handed I am typing really slow so you can keep up......smile....we have had another guy from Utah in the group in the past - you have a lot to live up to so you can clean up the reputation of your state.  First tri this year - very cool - you are gonna have a blast.  An IM in 2015 is doable if you want....we will get you there.  Swim - just takes some time my friend - we can help - go to the Total Immersion website and watch the videos - the biggest issue in swimming is balance.  We will work on it.  I know you don't believe me right now but repeat after me "I can float, I can float, I can float"  -- it's gonna happen.

IDMtnGirl - Boise 70.3 it is!!!!  Come on finish line.....I can't wait to add that one to our count.  We keep a running tally of every finish line of every body and see where the year totals out....last year we had 70 finish lines in our team.

Christopher M - 27????   PUPPY --- dude, you are YOUNG....good deal, you bring down the average age.....haha...I appreciate your honesty - we will get you to your finish line of your 70.3.....no worries, you just gotta do the work.

By the way, I call them a 70.3 usually just due to the fact that 70.3 Miles under one's own power is NOT HALF OF ANYTHING.  I feel the same way about a half marathon - it is 13.1 freakin miles for crying out loud.  I always correct the people who say "I am JUST running the half" - shut up....very few people have done one - it's 13.1 miles. (climbing down off the soap box).

Glenn - when is the Give It a Tri?  You are very smart to come get help....let us tell you about all the mistakes we made, you can be smart.  I really like that you called us a team....that's how it is.  To give you an idea, Amy (in our group) met me at the finish line of IM Florida - she was there volunteering and had seen me on the fun and them came over after I finished.  Another two guys teamed up to do a relay together - they live in adjoining states.  And I surprised one of my original members by coming out to Arizona (I went out to volunteer and sign up for 2011) to support her and was there to catch her at the finish line of her first IM.

Jennifer - almost 50!! - oh please - we are just getting started.  Now repeat after me, 9 minute miles are not slow - 9 minute miles are not slow.  (I don't run 9 minute miles in a race - so if I am too slow to be anyone's mentor who is here, you will not offend me by finding another group - hehe - but they will not be as good - and dang sure, not as fun).  Your Olympic goal is within reach - let's go get it.  We will get you through the swim - go check out the videos at Total Immersion.  We will discus them more later.  Help with motivation -  not to worry - we have plenty to go around.

Jeff - competitive - hmmmm - 11 kids ---- yeah I can see you are competitive - LOL - nobody is gonna beat me at this.....smile.  I am a very competitive person but have had to temper my competitiveness to compete with myself and the race vs other people and I am totally fine with that.  I have podium'd in my age group once but that does not happen often - I would love to be faster but I LOVE that finish line and will not give it up.

Dan - I also have a crazy schedule with work and travel - I travel every week.  2 Olympics are a great goal and I LOVE that you are already VOLUNTEERING.  Fantastic!!!  One of our rules (ok suggestion but I think it should be a requirement) is to volunteer at least once a year.  I highly recommend doing it for a 70.3 or an Ironman if there is one close by.  My favorite thing is a finish line catcher from 8pm to midnight.  That is when I finish and when the actual raw emotion of the race comes home.  It is however, a terrible empty feeling at midnight when it is over and you know there are still people out there....

Andrew - Welcome - we have crossed the Canadian border a few years ago and Pete has worked out fine so I am totally okay with GOING GLOBAL.....welcome to the team.  Congratulations and welcome to the year that will change your life.  Very good on commuting to work by bike - even if it is only two weeks.  How long do we have to train for the race?  We will get you through the swim.

Ali - If you weren't scared I would send you to a psychiatrist....LOL....you will be fine.  I have lots of tips on IMFL - I was there in November....had a tough day but finished.  I drank a large portion of the Gulf and my stomach never worked itself out.  I will be happy to help you any way I can.  The first thing I am going to tell you is to dial it back on the bike.  In the words of Endurance Nation "there is no such thing as a great bike followed by a poor run" - saying - you gotta be able to run to the best of your ability - it may not be fast but it needs to be to your ability.  We will get you there....

Welcome everybody...

2011-01-15 2:18 PM

Extreme Veteran

So here is what we will do - we will continue for a couple more days to get to know one another on this site and then I want to just combine you all into our current team.  But again, I want you all to get to know each other a bit first so you don't feel like you walked into a room of a bunch of friends and you are the stranger - and they are all telling inside jokes you don't understand - and you may be wondering if they are laughing at you - let me touch on that one right now - no one will laugh at you at any time or I will tell their secrets - and trust me - I know a LOT of their secrets....as well as some of the really funny stuff they said and/or asked.....so don't worry about that at all....we are all here to help.

Why do I do it this way?  There are 209 pages of posts in my archived group - that is a LOT of history and advice.  Many of your questions have already been answered.  Many of you will be encouraged by reading about the swimming inability of people every year - and they get there.  For me when I started, I could breathe and I could swim, it was only when I tried to put them together and do both that I had a problem.  After a youth of being a life guard, teaching people how to water ski at a resort, going to the beach every year (even as an adult), and a lifetime of loving the water and fancying myself as a strong swimmer, I went to the pool to swim 6 laps (300 total yards) - see the training plan I was going to use said the first week I would swim 10 x 50s so I thought, I have 2 weeks until it starts, I will swim 6 x 50 this week, 8 x 50 next week and I will be ready to swim 10 x 50 the first week of the plan. 

Well, I swam/struggled/fought my way down the pool 25 yards.  I clung to the edge trying to breathe - who sucked the oxygen out of the atmosphere - and wondered if I could get back to the other end.  I would have climbed out of the pool but there were a lot of people out there and NOBODY got out of the pool at this end....crap.....I gotta get back.  OK...go.....no way a minute more....breathe.....go....no....not yet......ok.....now, I swam - although that is being very generous with the word - 12.5 yards to the line across the middle of the pool - stood up.....and walked to the end of the pool where I started.  My first swim workout was 1 x 25 and 1 x 12.5 for a total workout yardage of 37.5 yards.  I thought there was no way I could swim further - I did and you can too.

So here is what I want you to do....post here - get to know each other - be open - be honest - have fun - you all seem to be off to a good start.  Additionally go to the Forum home page, then click Mentor Program Archives and look for left.right.repeat group closed - full of a bunch of winners (it is usually one of the first three or so) and click on it.  Go to the early pages and read some history - see the evolution - go to the most recent pages (209 currently) and work backwards to see where we are today.  You are welcome to post over there too but I would like to personally introduce you so the team today can get to know you all together.

I am going to keep this open for a little longer to see if anyone else wants to join our little party....I will be back soon....I rode 1:30 hours today and am going to a Newton Running Symposium tonight.  Long run tomorrow - I hope the weather is better than today - it is raining.  By the way, I live in San Antonio, TX so I have pretty good weather year round except when it is brutally hot during August.....

Bryan

2011-01-15 3:52 PM

User image

Cedar City, Utah
Thanks for relating the swimming experience. I laughed hard and coughed harder for another 5 minutes (4 weeks now of bronchitis that's getting REALLY old.)

I went to a spinning class yesterday a.m.  It was pretty fun!  I was surprised how much I used my upper body and core.  Pretty cool.  Afterwards, I introduced myself to the instructor and asked her to show me how to set up a bike.  She was surprised to hear I had never spun before and hadn't ridden a road bike.  She said I did great!  That was great for the ego.  I guess I just may go back now.    Next time I'll wear a HR monitor to see how I do during the intervals.

I've been watching anything I can on Total Immersion.  I went to the pool yesterday pm and did the first drill where you just float on your back and kick without disturbing the water.  For the first 5 seconds I thought I was going to drop to the bottom of the pool.  It surprised me when I glided along.  Too cool.  You're right!  I can float!  I can float!  All that holiday food I overindulged on is sure helping. haha  I did a total of 8 laps (stopping in between of coarse) on my back focusing on form and breathing.  Only inhaled water once.  I didn't go fast, but I'm cool with that.  It was a bit disheartening when the lady next to me (80 yrs+) was going faster than me.  But I'm sure she was an Olympic swimmer in her earlier years, so it didn't get the best of me.... yeah, I'm sure of it, ah huh.... patience my young grasshopper.

About volunteering, funny you mention that.  We have the St George IM coming the beginning of May.  I've been watching the volunteering section of site daily now for a week.  They finally opened it up yesterday and I got in.  I signed up for three positions on the day of the race: Body Marking and Wetsuit Peeling in the morning and 1st shift of the finish line catchers.  Someone told me that was totally cool, because you get to see the pros finish and soak up the emotion.  Loved your point about taking 2nd shift to experience the average Joe's as they come across.  Maybe I'll have to do that next year.

That's it for now.  No questions, just wanted to update you on my progress for the week.  Tomorrow I'm planning on some Yoga / stretching to prepare for a week of daily workouts.

2011-01-15 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3301616

Regular
California

I've been reading some of the archives and see that you have warned the team of our arrival

Since actually joining a gym a month and a half ago, I have been twice. I'll be heading there today starting my new challenge!

Having said that I will let you know that my ultimate goal is a FULL LENGTH IM and competing in Hawaii....lofty goal I know. I hope to find shorter goals to keep me driven and focussed at my current level (ie i'll be after someones best 5 k time, then 10k, etc etc etc).

I've got a ton of research to do...and still finding my path to my ultimate goal. I'll be starting out by training for a 5k, joining in on some spinning classes (while I save up to buy a bike) and get in the pool at the gym so I am biulding all 3 disciplines at once (even if only currently competing in one).

If anyone has a decent 5k time I should shoot for (or other distances for that matter as I will eventually get to them all) please send them to me or post them.

Thanks!

2011-01-15 4:36 PM

Extreme Veteran

Todd and Jeff - spin class is great as long as the instructor teaches as an outdoor ride imitation.  Quite often, they teach a get out of the saddle for 10 seconds, sit back down, up for 10, sit down....that doesn't happen out on the road.  So, if you find yourself in a class that doesn't replicate an outdoor ride, just ride your ride and let them jump up and down, doing push ups on the handlebars and so on.  You know what it is like to ride a bike whether you have done it in 10 years or not.  While in spin class - target a cadence of 90 rpms.  This is measured by counting how many times your right knee (or left but just count one) comes up in a 10 second period.  You are shooting for 15 (6 10 second periods would be a minute, 6 x 15 = 90 rpms target).  Let me know if that doesn't make sense.  You are shooting for a consistently high cadence as the bigger gear you try to push the more you trash your legs and then the run is nasty.  That said, when you are doing a "hills" class it is good to push a bigger gear at a lower cadence.  Just spend the majority of your time at a 90 cadence.  This will keep your legs for the run.

Jeff - for running targets, google jack daniels running (I am not kidding and I am not talking whiskey).  Jack has written a defintive book on run testing and his vDot chart is widely accepted as pacing gospel.  His testing protocols and their interpretations will give you pacing guidance and targets to run at as you improve.  As far as your goal of Kona - I would love to see it happen and I will do whatever I can to help.  I know several people who have raced there over the last couple of years.  For me, I would have to get a lottery slot or not lose any speed over the next 25 years....I may be able to qualify at my speed in the 75-80 age group.....

Bryan

2011-01-15 4:39 PM

Extreme Veteran

Todd - you will love wetsuit peeling....I did it in AZ this year....there are a lot of fit women coming out of that water.....just saying....by the way, usually wetsuit peeling is usually for VIPs and a local club that has volunteered many, many hours so you are lucky to get in.  I guess St George may not be quite there as they are only in their second year.  For example, at Florida, Arizona, Canada, Texas, Wisconsin - wetsuit peeling volunteering doesn't go on line (that I have seen).

2011-01-15 5:17 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area
Well I am glad to be here and congrats to all the other who made it as well.  This sounds like it will be a great group.  Still recovering so I went for about walk today of about 2 miles.  I cant wait to ride my bike again.

Thanks Bryan for heading up this group.  This is all pretty cool!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group 2011 edition - CLOSED for 2011 Rss Feed  

of 2