BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-12-24 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed
Name – Manatee Express (Ken)

Story – I started doing triathlons on a relay team in 2002. I slowly moved up in distance over the years and completed my first half ironman in 2004 and completed ironman florida in 2006. I usually do upwards of 20 races a year but 2007 was a slow year for me, new job, new home, and ironman burnout. I now live in Gulf Shores, Alabama and have done most of the races from Pensacola to Mobile and I previously lived and raced in Louisiana. My strength is my bike and I am a slow but steady runner. I have an ankle that hinders my running pretty bad but I make the best of it.

Family Status – I am married to Marcy (Mrs Manatee) who got me into this sport. We have a really great dog named Sara who does many of my runs with me.

Current Training – I am currently working on base on the bike and the run. I will hit the pool again in January. My focus for the spring will be to bring my bike speeds up to 2006 levels and to continue to improve my run.

Last Years Races – I did 3 triathlons, 3 duathlons, one 10k, one haf marathon, and a handful of 5k’s. I PR’d in 5k, 10k, and half marathon.

2008 Race Plan – I will be doing the usual local races (Mullet Man, Alabama Coastal, and Grandman). I also plan on going back to Panama City and racing the Gulf Coast Half Ironman. I will probably mix in another 5 or 6 triathlons/duathons.

Weight Loss – I started training in 2002 at 240lbs. I am now around 195 and was at 179 for Ironman. I plan on getting under 190 by Gulf Coast but I mostly manage my weight via training rather than good nutrition.

What would make me a good mentor? I have alway taken a keen interest to bringing new folks to the starting line and have helped many folks both in person and online to the races. I have been racing since 2002 and on this site since 2005 and know my way around the forums and tools the site offers.

Edited by Manatee Express 2008-03-24 1:33 PM

2008-01-03 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1116072

Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group
I would like to be able to join your group. I've been attempting to tri and tri'ing since 04. I decided to do it when my body was screaming at me when I played basketball which I've been doing since I was 5 years old. I needed something else to do. When I started I was 260+ I got down to a comfy 240ish within a few months and felt great and loved it. I've run a couple of 10ks and a few sprint tri's. My original goal when I started was to target the Gulf Coast half. That didn't happen. I was advised to target sprints then olympics. I haven't gotten to Oly, yet. The bad news I've fallen off the wagon and want/need to get back on. I have been running a little, swimming less and biking a little.

I hope this mentor program can invigirate my training.

Thanks

Chris
2008-01-03 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Chris,

Great to see you back and happy to have you in the group. I know you know how to use the logs go get busy. I think you should get a target race on your plan to help push you. This cold spell were having down here is demotivating but I am going to swim tomorrow.
2008-01-04 9:38 AM

New user

I'd like to join your group. I'll turn 36 on January 6th and am married with three children, two boys and a girl. All under the age of six (kill me). Anyway, I would like to join your group as we share some things in common. I am in the IT business as well. I work for IBM in Miami. Also, I am a bigger guy at six foot, 242 pounds. Historically I have been a very good athlete. I was good in football (all conference, all state and played linebacker for UW-Wisconsin 1990-93) wrestling (all state) and track (state semi-finals in shot put).
I have also no stranger to running as my parents are both marathoners. In fact my Dad has completed 27 Boston Marathons (he is an animal). But as of late I have fallen prey to the fate of most ex-athletes – the beer mug.. Since our children were born I have done less and less running and more and more beer exercises ?. Plainly stated, I am fat, out of shape and enough is enough. I want to be an athlete again.

Last year I completed the 7 mile bridge race in Marathon Key, Florida. It was hard but I did well (there was free beer at the finish). So I have a little running base.

Where I live in Fort Lauderdale is great training ground for triathlons. Miles of paved bike trails, and three Olympic pools within 4 miles of my house. Not to mention the Atlantic Ocean not 20 minutes away.

My goal is to run my first Olympic triathlon (my first triathlon really) by late spring 2008. I’d like to do no less than three triathlons in all of 2008. By 2009 I would like to complete a 1/2IM. The ULTIMATE would be to do a full in 2010.

You sound like a guy that can help me do it! Hope you let me join.

Cheers,

Jason
2008-01-04 12:16 PM

birmingham michigan

Hello!  I would like to join your group if possible.  I am not a newbie to the sport but will be upping the distance to HIM this year and am not experienced in this.

Yeah, I did it, it signed up for Wildflower!  It's always been a race I've had my eye on so this is the year.  This is a very hilly course!  I have 9 century rides under my belt but that is where the condfidence ends.

My swimming is horrible.  I usually finish in the very last batch!  I need some serious advice on this part. 

Cycling is my passion.  Hills I can tackle with the best of them.

My running is difficult.  I have never run more than 6 miles in my life and now must get to 13 before the end of may.  I have a hard time pushing myself. 

I know I can do this race but I want to do it good!  I am not expecting any medals, just a respectable middle of the pack result.  I just don't want to be dead last.

Any advice on "going long" will be greatly appreciated.  I need ALL the motivation and tips I can get.  I have always done this half-heartedly but would like to know this time that I tried my best.  I guess I don't mind coming in dead last as long as I took it seriously!!!

What do you think?

2008-01-04 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1133785

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
czarjenny - 2008-01-04 12:16 PM

Hello!  I would like to join your group if possible.  I am not a newbie to the sport but will be upping the distance to HIM this year and am not experienced in this.

Yeah, I did it, it signed up for Wildflower!  It's always been a race I've had my eye on so this is the year.  This is a very hilly course!  I have 9 century rides under my belt but that is where the condfidence ends.

My swimming is horrible.  I usually finish in the very last batch!  I need some serious advice on this part. 

Cycling is my passion.  Hills I can tackle with the best of them.

My running is difficult.  I have never run more than 6 miles in my life and now must get to 13 before the end of may.  I have a hard time pushing myself. 

I know I can do this race but I want to do it good!  I am not expecting any medals, just a respectable middle of the pack result.  I just don't want to be dead last.

Any advice on "going long" will be greatly appreciated.  I need ALL the motivation and tips I can get.  I have always done this half-heartedly but would like to know this time that I tried my best.  I guess I don't mind coming in dead last as long as I took it seriously!!!

What do you think?

Jen,

Welcome to the group. I think you have an exciting challenge in front of you and you have taken the first big step by signing up. I think I can be helpful to you as like you, I am a pretty good biker and a below average swimmer and runner and I have made it through 3 halfs and 1 full ironman. I think I fit the category of respectable but not fast as far as finishing in these races. I believe the key is consistency in training and a rock solid base. You have time to get it done, but you need to get started quickly on the running and the swimming.

Tell me a little bit about where your run and swim are right now. Are you running 3 times a week? Whats your current long run? anything else about running. Are you currently swimming. Do you swim alone or with a masters group?

I need to check out your logs but feel free to ask anything.

Ken

2008-01-04 9:49 PM
in reply to: #1133312

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
JBIRDWHITE - 2008-01-04 9:38 AM

I'd like to join your group. I'll turn 36 on January 6th and am married with three children, two boys and a girl. All under the age of six (kill me). Anyway, I would like to join your group as we share some things in common. I am in the IT business as well. I work for IBM in Miami. Also, I am a bigger guy at six foot, 242 pounds. Historically I have been a very good athlete. I was good in football (all conference, all state and played linebacker for UW-Wisconsin 1990-93) wrestling (all state) and track (state semi-finals in shot put).
I have also no stranger to running as my parents are both marathoners. In fact my Dad has completed 27 Boston Marathons (he is an animal). But as of late I have fallen prey to the fate of most ex-athletes – the beer mug.. Since our children were born I have done less and less running and more and more beer exercises ?. Plainly stated, I am fat, out of shape and enough is enough. I want to be an athlete again.

Last year I completed the 7 mile bridge race in Marathon Key, Florida. It was hard but I did well (there was free beer at the finish). So I have a little running base.

Where I live in Fort Lauderdale is great training ground for triathlons. Miles of paved bike trails, and three Olympic pools within 4 miles of my house. Not to mention the Atlantic Ocean not 20 minutes away.

My goal is to run my first Olympic triathlon (my first triathlon really) by late spring 2008. I’d like to do no less than three triathlons in all of 2008. By 2009 I would like to complete a 1/2IM. The ULTIMATE would be to do a full in 2010.

You sound like a guy that can help me do it! Hope you let me join.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason, welcome aboard. You are lucky to live in such a warm climate and I look forward to helping you in any way possible. You sound like you have great running genes and thats a big plus. The run is the most difficult part and it comes after you've already exerted yourself pretty hard. I haven't looked to see if you use the logs, but I encourage you to do so. They are a great tool for you to monitor your progress and for others to cheer you on.

Have you looked for any races yet? I would advise a sprint before the Olympic to get your feet wet. The Olympic distance has always been the toughest for me and I think it would be a good idea to get your feet wet first.

Look forward to working with you and please ask anything.

Ken
2008-01-05 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - OPEN
Manatee,

Hi - my name is Rusty Hawkins - aka - papahawk! I live in Charlotte, NC and have been going thru some life changin events. First off - I quit smokin - and now I want to get myself back into some shape, I know I can do it and I have to admit, my wife gave me the tri-bug! I would like to join your group as I see some of the other folks wanting to join are in the same boat as I. A little backgroud on me, I am 36 years old, I am an avid but above average swimmer, I grew up on the ocean surfing and swimming so that is why, I used to skateboard alot even back in my earlier 30's I was still on my board cause it was fun!! You should have seen the looks and questions some of the kids always ask when they see "the old dude" skateboarding. I still ride but not nearly as much as I used to, that was my exersize back then, now, with work and kids...well..not much time for skateboarding anymore. I am also a decent bike rider - I used to ride with a bike club at my old job - the most I ever rode was around 27 miles. terrain does not really bother me...hills, flats..I think we all prefer the flats at times..but I can negotiate it all pretty good, my running, well....that is one thing I am working on. I have never been much of a runner, I was a RANGER in the US ARMY many years ago and I hated running then...guess maybe it was because you had to run less then a 8 min mile or you were scorned for being a slow poke!! But, I have begun finding the appreciation for running again, thanks to my wife, she is a great pace leader for me and helps me keep in check. Right now I am running about 3 -5 miles about 2 times a week, building up my endurance right now is my main goal. I can run a 5k in about 28min so I am getting there...I plan on running the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston, SC this year as well, it's a 10k and I ran it before about 10 years ago! I started a training program with her to get ready for the tri I am doing in March..so I need all the hepl and tips I can get!! She recommended that I look into some mentoring group online and she uses this same site for herself. She also has inspired me to become healthier and step it up - she has completed some sprint tri's last year and half mara as well...and you would never had guessed it there was an athelete in this woman!! but it was there and now she is why I am attempting my 1st sprint tri in March. I am father of 2 wonderful kids and I want to be around for them as long as I can and hopefully I can be an inspiration to them someday because of what I am attempting. I also am in the IT industry like one of the others I read in the forum that works for IBM - I totally relate to that dude....I am a Unix Engineer for Bank of America and needless to say - I am a desk jockey as well. I am eating alot better then I have in a long time and my weight is not that bad actually - I am right at 200lbs and am 6'2 ...so I could stand to lose about 10 lbs...I would like to get to around 190 and that would be ideal. I was a skinny kid all my life - then the ARMY changed all that..course I was 18 back then and my metabolism was thru the roof..needless to say..it's slowed down quite a bit since then. Anyway - sorry if I just bombarded you with a short novel..but I hope you and the others can help me acheive my goal - and with so many folks out there doing the same thing I am sure we can all ensure we make it!
2008-01-05 8:11 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Hi Ken,

I would like to join your group.  I have a fairly broad background in sports of all nature with the majority of them in team sports.  I am a United States Marine and currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan but returning to the states soon.  I have completed a Sprint Triathlon (Reverse) and a modified Olympic due to the swim and run being a little bit shorter. Nonetheless I completed both of them and I am now hooked on the sport and have a goal of completing an Ironman before I turn 41.  That gives me 1 year and 364 days as I turned 39 yesterday. 

Current plan - Olympic distance for a race coming up in April in Ishigaki, Japan.  My goal is to finish and hopefully break 3 hours with a goal of 2:30.

2008 races - Ishigaki Olympic, Torii Station modified Olympic, and the other races will depend on where I end up being stationed after I return to the states in May/June timeframe.

Family status - I have been married for eight years to my wonderful wife, Tami, and we have four fabulous kids ages 7, 6, 2, and 1.

Weight loss - When I started training I weighed around 250 and since then I have dropped down to around 235 with a goal of getting to 210.  The majority of my weight loss is dependent on the amount of training that I do.  I often dip into the 220's when I am training as is required in my training plan.

Goals -  Improve my swim technique to conserve more energy for the bike.  Improve my performance on the hills as I am a decent rider on the flats.  Running is just running and I get it done due to my profession and it normally happens about 3 times a week with a longer run on the weekend of about 8 to 10 miles.  Each of these need improvement in order for me to achieve my goal of completing an Ironman.

Chip

2008-01-06 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Rusty and Chip, welcome to the group. I look forward to working with you. Are you using your logs yet?

Ken
2008-01-06 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - Full
Hey Gang, the group is officially closed. Lets get started. I have a couple questions I would like to ask to get going and please ask me whatever you want.

1. Are you using BT logs? I strongly encourage this. I also encourage you to add the group members to your friends list so that the rest of the team can view your log and offer encouragement, advice, or suffer with you.

2. Do you train with a Heart Rate Monitor?

3. Do you have a goal race, if so what is it.

4. Do you have any type training plan ?

For me the answers are below:
1. I use the logs religiously.
2. I train with a Heart rate monitor for all running and biking. The longer the distance you race the more important the tool is.
3. My goal race is Gulf Coast Half Ironman, May 10 in Panama City. I have done this race 3 times and would like to improve my performance from 2006 which was my best.
4. I have not completed my plan but am close. I have used BT plans and they are a great tool especially if you are new to the sport. I generally write my own plans because I found myself shuffling "canned plans" to meet my work schedule and because I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do to be ready for the distances of the races I am doing. I try to do each sport 3 times weekly when I get serious but will alter that to fit the race schedule and how I feel.

Okay ur turns.

2008-01-06 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1135151

New user

Hey Ken ,
Thanks for letting me join. I am very excited to get rolling. I ran 4 miles this past Saturday and took Sunday off. I hope you can see my plan for Monday. My plan states Swim 24 and Bike 48. So I'll be at teh YMCA at 5:30AM and I'll let you know how it goes. I am still getting used to this website. It's a little confusing. For example, is this blog teh only way we cmmunicate? Can you see my training program? YOu mentioned logs, not sure where or how to used them but if you point me in hte right direction I'll sue them.

Cheers,

Jason
2008-01-06 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1137991

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
JBIRDWHITE - 2008-01-06 9:43 PM

Hey Ken ,
Thanks for letting me join. I am very excited to get rolling. I ran 4 miles this past Saturday and took Sunday off. I hope you can see my plan for Monday. My plan states Swim 24 and Bike 48. So I'll be at teh YMCA at 5:30AM and I'll let you know how it goes. I am still getting used to this website. It's a little confusing. For example, is this blog teh only way we cmmunicate? Can you see my training program? YOu mentioned logs, not sure where or how to used them but if you point me in hte right direction I'll sue them.

Cheers,

Jason

Okay Jason, I will give this a shot. It may take a couple attempts as your questions are good.

We can communicate several ways. The easiest way is through this thread in the mentor blog. You got that part down. You can also communicate via Private Messages (PM). You can do this from your mailbox on the home page or you can click on another users name and click PM. The other way is to send inspirations onto someones log. I gotta get you going on the logs before I try to tell you that one.

Logs- The logs are where your plan is. To get there, click on training logs at the top of the page. This will take you to your logs. Your logs have several views and when you go there you can see either your actual log or your planned log. At the top of the page you will see a box under program that says blog. Put your cursor over the word blog and it will bring up options, select Actual. From here you go to the day you want to log your workouts. Select edit and from here you put in your workout. To see an example of what you put in, click on manatee express on this page. It will take you to a screen about me, from here click on logs and you can look at mine.

Give this a try and let me know how i did.

k
2008-01-07 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1138022

New user

Hey Ken,
Thanks for the responce. I just completed my first workout and filled in my "actual log" . Hope you can see it. Went well. Little sore from a Saturday run but all in all it went well.

Cheers ,

Jason
2008-01-07 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1135127

birmingham michigan

hello!

my runs are slow and I am doing 3-5 miles right now.  Well, once my toe heals.  I think I will be able to start running this week with an easy run.

My swimming is slow.  I recognize my weaknesses and know where I need to work.  It's just hard!  Still searching for my "groove." 

I think you will be the perfect mentor!  Thanks!!

2008-01-07 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Jen,

I am working on my half ironman plan and I will put it in my blog in about a week. You can check it out use it in any way u like. For a half ironman I generally attempt to do each sport 3 times a week. I will probably be short on the bike do to the weather and lack of daylight but I will get real religion about the run and the swim. On the run, you gotta get healed but once you are I recommend running 3 days a week with one run designated as your LSD (long slow distance) run. This run is probably the single most important workout you have each week. You need to build that run up to at least 10 miles before your race. I did 2 of my 3 half's with 10 as my long run prior to the race. If you can do more thats great but you need to get close to 10 miles. These runs are slow and at a relatively low exertion level.

Like me, your bike is your strength. Just don't let it slip away and when it warms up, get that long ride back to the routine. Swimming for me is about going 3 times a week and putting in the yardage.

2 questions, do you swim with a group or alone? do you use a heart rate monitor?

Ken

2008-01-07 8:13 PM
in reply to: #1137008

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Ken,

I have not but will start today - I had a training day with the wife/coach today at the local YMCA - we did a 35 min bike ride and then we swam for about 25 minutes. We did some drills in the pool, worked on kicking, and breathing. I could almost complete 100 meters w/out stopping ...but my biggest issue is keeping a nice steady pace. My 1st lap always goes well - after that - it's a challenge to finish the way I started. Good news - we are both attending a swimmers clinic this weekend at another local pool where there will be professional swimmers giving one on one training tips and so forth. They are going to watch us swim, video tape you swimming, then give you some tips on how to improve..I am looking forward to this ..once I get this swimming under control - I will be more confident in how I am going to do in the Tri in March. I will post my training in the logs from now on! Thanks for letting me join in the group!! Glad to be here!

Cheers

Rusty
2008-01-07 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1137284

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Ken,

I do use a HR monitor when running and biking. For now I have used 180 as my max for running - so when I get to that I start walking till it goes down - then I start running again. The wife and I run like this - so - it's a run - walk for me but I have run about 3 miles w/out stopping so far. I am not sure if that is the correct MAX hr I should be using, but that is my best guess based on my weight, age, etc. I am using a training plan my wife found online for getting ready for this Tri in March - it's a 28 week plan and incorporates swimming, bike, and running throughout the plan. I can get more details tomorrow on the plan. My race goal is a Sprint Tri-Athalon this March - 500m swim ( pool ), 11 mile bike, and 5k run. This is a good one for me to get initiated into the Tri world..I have never done any races before accept some 5k's and 10k's many years ago. I figured this would be a good goal to start with and is totally acheivable in my book. Then once I get through this one - I am looking at some more Tri's in the summer - a little bigger and challenging. My wife competed in one last summer it was 750m swim( outdoor ) 17 mile bike, and 5k trail run. Her main concern ( goal ) was to not come in last and to complete and not fall out - she acheived her goal. I guess that will be mine - to complete w/out falling out or giving up - I could care less about where I place, it's finishing the race...that's my goal. To come from where I was and to be able to complete this will be my accomplishment and satisfaction. After the Tri - I am running the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston, SC - 10k - I have ran it before, but I was not in shape and did not train so this will be interesting to see the difference since I will be in better shape then I was last time I ran it - I was younger then, but I am lot wiser and smarter about what I have to do to really prepare for it. After that - who knows - I may compete in some more Tri's here in NC....and some more runs.....I am not sure I will ever compete in a Half Iron or Iron man - I am not that gung-ho !! I respect those that do that - amazes me when I see what the human body can do ...true atheletes those folks are....but for me...it's just the fact I want to be in better shape and feel good knowing I accomplished something I set my mind to doing...

Cheers

Rusty :-)

-Rusty
2008-01-07 11:33 PM
in reply to: #1137284

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Ken,

In response to your question in the post.  I am using the BT training logs to record my training.  I am currently using the Basic Olympic - 12 week plan - HR based with strength training.  The plan has me doing 3 workouts in each discipline every week and I try to make sure that I complete them all.  I have some trouble with the swim workouts in completing the distance in the amount of time allotted.  Once I improve my technique and they open up the 50m pool in the spring it should be a little bit easier.  I modify the bike workouts to accomodate a long group ride on every Saturday that is usually between 45 and 75 miles at around a 15 to 18 mph pace.  With the runs the only workout that I ever have an issue with is the long run that is longer than 1 hour as I have issues with pacing myself to go slower and to conserve energy.  I currently have an Olympic distance race coming up April 13 in Ishigaki, Japan which would be my 'A' race.  My goal is to finish first and foremost but I really want to see if I can break 2:45 for the entire race.  I also have a shorter triathlon scheduled for Mar 15 that is a 1k swim, 30k bike, and a 5k run and I am going to shoot for a time of around 1:30 on that one to gauge where I am at with my training leading up to the Olympic distance event.  I will get those two under my belt prior to leaving Japan in the May/June timeframe and depending on where I get stationed next I will see if I can get in another Olympic distance and possibly a Half Ironman.  Very ambitious goals but as long as I stay healthy I am pretty sure I can get them both done before the weather gets too cold.  Hopefully this was not too much to digest at one time but that is everything in a nutshell for my next year.  All of this leads up for possibly another Half Ironman and a Full Ironman in 2009 if I can get a spot.  Good luck to all and remember to just keep putting one foot in front of the other and the finish line will be there before you know it.

2008-01-08 7:35 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

Hey Ken - just wanted to pop in and let your group know that they have selected an excellent mentor.  Ken is not even my mentor and he checks up on me and offers me advice, plus he is an awesome guy to be around.  I think you all are in great hands.

Ken - I'll see you at the Mullet Man in April.  Have a good time.

2008-01-08 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Rusty,

I come from a very similiar place as you when I started this. My wife talked me into doing a relay with my friends while she did the whole race. My goals were to finish and that was it. I am still not a contender for any prizes but I have improved so much from way back then. Keep your focus on your goal race and getting ready for that. No need to look beyond at this point.

I expect your using the 220 less age to get your max hr. I am okay with that at this stage of the game. You said you were running till it got to that number and then walking. What I suggest you do is to try and run slower so your HR doesn't get that high. You should only be close to or hitting your max when you are doing speed work or racing and right now you are building base. On your next run, record your hr every 10 minutes and put it in your log. That will tell me a little about where you are. During the base building effort most of your training should be done at no more than 75% of max and probably closer to 70. Thats hard to get used to as the natural inclination is to go fast and try to be faster every time.

Keep up the good work.

2008-01-08 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Chip,

Good job on the questions. I really like the balance plan with all 3 sports gettting 3 workouts. It can be difficult but to build the base for longer distance its best to do it. On the swim, don't get hung up on not getting the distance done in the stated times. Take longer if you have the time, or cut some distance if you don't have time. Remember the plans are general, tailor it to make it work for you.

On the long run, slow down! Seriously, the long run is so important to base building. Keep it under 75% of max on your hrm. A strong base will help you build speed and will reduce your risk of injury. This get so important when you start talking half ironman and beyond.

keep it up!
2008-01-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1142614

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Ken,

Correct - I am using the 220 and less as my weight group for my hr - so - I can see your point about not hitting my max hr when training. If I am just building my base I need to maintain that and do it comfortably and not maxxing out. I will use this method you mentioned about not going above 75% and will note my hr and stats' in my log tomorrow. I have 20min run planned tomorrow - and btw - the plan I am using is a 12 week training plan for this Tri in March, not 28 week...and my wife found it on this site!! Thanks for the advice!

Cheers!

Rusty :-)
2008-01-08 6:21 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Ken,

A quick question in regards to the swim.  I swam with a Master's group yesterday and got my &*^ kicked.  In light of this I need to know if it is better to ensure that I put in the distance or should I stick with the Master's group.  I finished the workout with them but I am positive that I was pushing my heart rate way up there and at some points in the multiple sets of 100m on 1:45 I was tasting a bit of my lunch.  I am sure that I will become a much better swimmer if I continue on this course but I want to be sure that this is the correct approach to become a better swimmer rather than just a faster swimmer.  Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Chip

2008-01-08 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1143594

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
cchapman3 - 2008-01-08 6:21 PM

Ken,

A quick question in regards to the swim.  I swam with a Master's group yesterday and got my &*^ kicked.  In light of this I need to know if it is better to ensure that I put in the distance or should I stick with the Master's group.  I finished the workout with them but I am positive that I was pushing my heart rate way up there and at some points in the multiple sets of 100m on 1:45 I was tasting a bit of my lunch.  I am sure that I will become a much better swimmer if I continue on this course but I want to be sure that this is the correct approach to become a better swimmer rather than just a faster swimmer.  Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Chip

Great question Chip, I was thinking about asking which of you were participating in a masters group. Personally, I am a big fan of masters swim team. That said, I have been in several groups and the dynamics vary significantly. The upside is its at a scheduled time and you develop accountability to show up. I used to be in a large group and the coach split us into groups based on capability and the workouts were fitted to our group. The masters group I swim with now is smaller and we don't really have a coach. The coach shows up occasionally but leaves a workout for us to do each day. Our group has swimmers who can do 1:25 100's and the 2 minute guys like me. Does your group have a coach? If it does, ask for separate workouts. Tell them that you need form and base work. If you don't have a coach, can you increase you rest intervals and splits and swim at your own pace. I swim 3 times a week and only do speed work on 1 of the days (i haven't swam in 3 months until last week). Doing your total workout at exhaustion levels is not the most efficient way to get faster and stronger. You have to look at the masters group as training, not racing. I also asked my wife (she is a better swimmer than I am) about your question and she agrees with what I said but added that if you just started swimming with the group you may find yourself handling it better after a couple weeks. I hope this helps, please ask any clarifying questions!

k
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  

of 18