BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Merrymound's Group -- Closed Up and Ready to Go Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-01-04 6:56 PM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
Subject: Merrymound's Group -- Closed Up and Ready to Go
NAME: Josh (user name: merrymound)
STORY: I began my triathlon career by failing to even show up for my first race in 2007. The next year, I trained and completed my first sprint triathlon. It was the most fun I had had in a long time and it opened me up to a sport where I could see myself grow and a community in which I felt a friendly sense of competition. In 2009, I competed in a number of races, earning myself an honorary title in my local triathlon club. Triathlon to me is a way to make healthy decisions and stay in shape while associating myself with a great group of people.
FAMILY STATUS: Married without children but my wife and I are currently in the adoption process
CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently training for the Cleveland Marathon and planning on an olympic triathlon and my first Half Ironman this summer.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Here are my 2009 races:
-Fall Classic Half Marathon (11/09)
-Greater Cleveland Triathlon -- Olympic (8/09)
-Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Team (8/09)
-Silver Springs Duathlon (5/09)
-Buzzard Duathlon (5/09)
-Athens Marathon (4/09)
-Mill Creek Half Marathon (3/09)
- Miscellaneous smaller races throughout the year
2009 RACES: In 2010, I will be focusing intently on two main events: a spring marathon and late summer half-Ironman triathlon. This will be my first half-Iron distance event and my second marathon.
WEIGHTLOSS: Training for triathlons has helped me drop 15 points and I am focusing on dropping another 15 this year.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I plan on making this an excellent mentoring group for those who are just starting out. I had a great mentor through this website a few years ago and it was the help from that mentor group that really helped me achieve my goals. I know exactly what it is like to be overweight, out of shape, with the goal of completing a triathlon seeming somewhat insane. I know what it is like to tell friends and family members that you are going to do a triathlon and to have them give you an incredulous stare. I also, however, know how it feels to have them witness your achievement. I am ready to help out some folks who want to take their first steps towards enjoying this great sport and lifestyle.

Edited by merrymound 2010-01-06 7:59 PM

2010-01-05 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2593728

Subject: RE: Merrymound's Group -- Open
I'd like to join your group. I'm new to tri's and new to even the idea of training for a sprint tri. My goal is to finish - that's it. I'm competitive in many ways, but in this case, I'm using the tri and its training to re-invent myself and get back into the 'game'.

I'm married - 3 yrs in June and we have an 18 mo old. My gym time and exercise program dropped off immediately with my son's birth. No excuse, just the way it is. Now, I want to do this for me. I'm overweight, but I perservere and am determined. I've ridden in metric century ride yrs ago. It's my only long distance competition. 

My tri goal is a sprint race in Richmond on June 27. I have a road bike that I think will do with some work to make it road worthy. I can swim, but never was into 'laps'. I'm not a fan of running, but it is part of it, so I'll do it.

Let me know if you need more info and I appreciate your willingness mentor. I mentor young doctors out of vet school and it's a challenge and rewarding.

Mike
2010-01-06 4:08 AM

User image

Regular
Would love to join the group.

I am a return visiter to the world of tris.  Started out in 1998 at the Clemson, SC sprint race on a dare from a friend.  Absolutely no swim training and no pool time whatsoever.  A lot of doggy paddle later, we made it across.  Then did a bunch of sprint races and even an olympic distance race.  Not fast, but completed with a smile.  I had two children (almost 3 and 1), stopped tri-ing and I did nothing but play with them and work -- and so came the pounds.  I ballooned out to 225lbs. 

Recently joined BT in August or so and began training again and eating better. Set a lofty goal of 70.3 for May 2010.  Started with couch to sprint program, now finishing a sprint to olympic bridge, then next month moving on to olympic to halfIM bridge prior to my race of choice -- Knoxville Rev3 Half Rev.  Since then I've dropped 32lbs and am finally feeling healthy again!  Trying to get faster, but finishing is job #1. 

Races I'm considering this year....
Scenic City Half Marathong (Feb 2010)
Scenic City Triathlon (Sprint April/May 2010)
Half Rev Knoxville (May 2010)
BMW Chattanooga Waterfront Tri (Olympic July 2010)
2010-01-06 6:12 AM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome Mike and hornjs! Feel free to post any questions you may have here in the forum. I will add you to my friends list on the site and I will be checking in on your training every day. Feel free to add me to your friends list to check in on me. To add friends, you have to go to your settings tab (wrench looking thing at the top of the website) and add my name. Good luck!
2010-01-06 9:45 AM

User image

Rockwall, TX
NAME: Melissa (User name: MelcanTri)
STORY: I am a long distance runner with Runner's Knee trying to rehab by training for my first sprint triathlon.  I started running last January to lose baby weight after having 3 kids in 4 years.  I made a goal to run a full marathon by the time I'm 40 (I'll be 36 in a few weeks).  Using the Hal Higdon Novice plan, I ran two half marathons last year in 2:16 and 2:17.  I am extremely weak in the swimming portion.  I'm just hoping to finish any triathlons I do this year.  I'd like to finish a half mary in 2:10 by the end of the year.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with three children
CURRENT TRAINING: Currently using Trinewbies beginner sprint tri plan and hoping to train for a full marathon in the fall.
LAST YEAR'S RACES:
- Fitness First 5K
- Bloomin' 4 Mile
- Too Hot to Handle 5K
- The Hottest Half 10K
- Dallas Running Club Half Marathon
- Gobble Hobble 5K
- Dallas White Rock Half Marathon
2010 RACES:  Hoping to race 2 sprint triathlons, 2 half marathons, and 1 full marathon this year.
2010-01-06 11:21 AM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome Melissa! Feel free to post any questions you may have here in the forum. I will add you to my friends list on the site and I will be checking in on your training every day. Feel free to add me to your friends list to check in on me. To add friends, you have to go to your settings tab (wrench looking thing at the top of the website) and add my name. Good luck!

2010-01-06 1:03 PM

User image

New user

Josh,

I would like to join the group if you still have room.

NAME: Scott

STORY: I grew up in the midwest and now live in Seattle.  I still feel new to triathlons as I have only completed 2 tri-it distance races.  I loved the atmosphere and the people.  I was hooked right away.  I look at tri's as a way to get in shape and have a healthy lifestyle.  This year I would like to race in a few sprint distances and complete an olympic.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 13 years and we have one dog and no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training randomly.  It depends on the day.  I need to find a good structured plan.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
2 tri-it distance races.  Still not all that comfortable in the open water.
Seattle Rock-n-Roll half-marathon.

2010 RACES:  Plan to race 2-4 sprint triathlons, complete an olympic distance and run the Rock-n-Roll half again.

2010-01-06 5:35 PM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome Scott! Feel free to post any questions you may have here in the forum. I will add you to my friends list on the site and I will be checking in on your training every day. Feel free to add me to your friends list to check in on me. To add friends, you have to go to your settings tab (wrench looking thing at the top of the website) and add my name. Good luck!
2010-01-06 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Elgin,

I would like to join in on the fun if you are still looking.

I did my first tri in Sept of 08 on a last minute decision.  I enjoyed the race, but was under trained.  I did well enough to give it another go in 2009, but this time in open water instead of a pool swim.  Again I enjoyed the race, but was not trained to my full potential.  In Sept of 09 a cowoker asked me to join him and some friends for a 8 hours team event.  We took second place in the 4+ member team.  I am looking for a more fulfilled 2010.

I have four years experience in running races and three years experience in Duathlons.  Currently my desire is to accomplish an olympic tri, and who knows, maybe a half ironman.

I am still recovering from a sprained ankle that occured in Nov which I ran and completed a marathon on a week later.  That was not the best decision I have made in my life, but I didn't want to be out all the money that I had put into the event.

I welcome all encouragement and can take constructive critisism well (comes with being a Marine I think). 

2010-01-06 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome tinewman30! Feel free to post any questions you may have here in the forum. I will add you to my friends list on the site and I will be checking in on your training every day. Feel free to add me to your friends list to check in on me. To add friends, you have to go to your settings tab (wrench looking thing at the top of the website) and add my name. Good luck!
2010-01-06 7:58 PM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
OK. Looks like this training group is good to go. We have a really nice set of individuals here with a broad range of experiences and expertise. Let's all make a commitment to helping one another out with information and knowledge and keeping one another motivated through the winter and into the racing season. Use this forum liberally for questions and answers and add one another to your friends list and drop in on their training logs regularly to inspire them with messages of support. Good luck to one and all and let's start logging some high-quality workouts ASAP!

2010-01-07 12:39 AM

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Merrymound's Group -- Closed Up and Ready to Go

I'd really like to join your group if there is still room....

2010-01-07 6:26 AM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
You're in! Now we are officially closed.
2010-01-07 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Elgin,

I visited a bike store today, and it started me thinking.  With the upcoming season, would it be better to buy a higher end bike or upgrade the components on the bike I have?

I currently ride a beginner level Scott Sporster 60 road bike.  Shimano 105 components.  If memory serves me correctly it is a 06 model, but I got it new in 07.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

2010-01-08 9:42 AM

User image

Rockwall, TX
Great to meet everyone!

Is there a way to bookmark this thread so that it's easy to find?

Thanks!
Melissa
2010-01-08 3:13 PM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
I haven't found a way to bookmark this thing but it easy to find in the list of mentor threads since the medallion next to it is silver and not gold like others.

Regarding the bike question, I lean towards investing in a higher-end bike overall and not the components. Unless your bike is already pretty good, it is probably not a terrible idea to just upgrade the whole thing instead of doing so in a piecemeal fashion. But, if your frame and drivetrain are already higher-end, then go ahead and do the upgrades. Pretty good discussion thread on this topic can be found here:
http://forums.bicycling.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/612104717/m/46910132...

2010-01-09 9:56 AM

User image

Rockwall, TX
Good morning crew,

What is everybody doing today training wise?  I will be swimming 300 meters at some point today and biking tomorrow.  I don't have a real bike yet, so I ride the stationary bikes at the Y...

have a great day!
2010-01-09 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2604723

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
Today is my long run day with my marathon group. The group is currently down to two people but who's counting? Only 6 miles today. The really big mileage comes in a month or so.
2010-01-11 6:20 AM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
OK, training group members, let's plan on doing as much high-quality training as possible this week. If you can't get out on the roads to run or cycle, then plan on hitting the pool or at least doing some indoor strength training. If you don't have dumbells or a weight bench or anything like that, then just do some core exercises (pushups/ situps at a minimum). Developing core strength is critical to successful triathlon competition. Good luck! Work hard in the off-season to reap the rewards during the racing season.
2010-01-11 11:40 PM

User image

New user

Sorry, my last post was a little short, was in a bit of a rush.  A little about me...I am currently in the Air Force and deployed overseas, hence the posting workouts and threads at 1am or somewhere around there...I am married with a 10 year old daughter. I'm stationed out of Louisiana, but originally from Texas. I have been an athlete my entire life, focusing on basketball through my high school and college years. I have wanted to do a tri for a couple of years now and just never made the commitment to find time to train, so here I am now. I am now dedicated and am on Week 4 of my training program. I am looking forward to completing my first sprint tri at the Capital of Texas Tri in Austin, TX on May 31st. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for letting my part of your group.
2010-01-12 6:08 AM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
Cool. I'm very pleased to have the opportunity to work with a member of our armed forces. What kind of training plan are you currently doing? Is it one from this website? Also, do you have access to a pool while you are overseas? Good luck to you!

2010-01-12 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2609063

User image

New user

I am doing a beginner sprint training program out of a book I have, The Woman Triathlete by Christina Gandolfo.  It has tons of info that has helped me get started with my training. I do have access to an indoor pool here, unfortunately, the pool heater doesn't work, so I feel like I'm about to go into shock everytime I get in Smile, but I can't complain...at least I have access to a pool!
2010-01-13 6:18 AM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
Non-heated pool? Damn that is freaking hardcore.
2010-01-14 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, Ohio
Everybody should start planning for a solid weekend workout now. If you can, find a partner or group to keep you honest. You will train harder and longer with someone else.
2010-01-15 9:47 AM

User image

Rockwall, TX
Good morning everyone! 

Last night, I completed my first brick!  20 minutes on the bike followed by 30 minutes running.  It was great, even though it was inside at the gym.  I felt like I really accomplished something, and I'm not sore at all today.

On a related note, I pushed back my first sprint tri to April 25th, the Caveman Tri in Flower Mound, TX.  I also registered for a half mary on 2/27 and plan to run a half mary on 5/2 also.  Crazy much?

This weekend my plan calls for a 4 mile run and a 12 mile bike ride.  Looking forward to it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Merrymound's Group -- Closed Up and Ready to Go Rss Feed  

of 2