BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom and Doughboy's Group -Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-12-16 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: Dodgersmom and Doughboy's Group -Full

Two for the price of one. 

We are husband and wife triathletes. 

Marcy (dodgersmom) - This is my 5th year competing in tris.  I compete because I have a blast doing it.  I am a pretty solid middle of packer.  My favorite distance is the HIM.  I have successfully crossed the line at 3 HIM's and already have 3 on my 2009 schedule.   I am USAT Level 1 triathlon coach.   My main focuses for the 2009 season are continued weightloss.  My goal is to able to race sub athena at some point in the season.  I am oh so close to that goal, but it's always the last 5 pounds that are tough.  Running is my hardest discipline.  Love the bike and tolerate the swim.  I would love you to join my mentor group.  Ask anyone on my friends list...I am a really nice person!!

Steve (Doughboy, as written by Marcy ) - Steve has been competing in tris for 2 years.  His biggest success has been losing almost 100 pounds!!   So with us, you get to the additional knowledge of competing in the Athena and Clydesdale world.  Last year, Steve completed his first HIM and got as far as the midway point in the bike at IMAZ.  3 flat tires forced him out, but that fire is still burning and I think 2010 will be another IM year.

Some general info about us -

Marcy - I grew up in New Jersey (please do not hold that against me).  Moved to Baltimore in 1998.  It was there I met Steve.  I am a corporate trainer for Bank of America.  I work in the default area so that keeps me pretty busy. 

Steve - Steve grew up in Baltimore, and his dad still lives in the same house he grew up in.   Steve is a buyer/inventory manager by profession, but has also been known to paint some pretty cool aero helmets!

We live in Keller, TX with our 2 girls (who each have 4 legs) Dodger and Hoover...the two most adorable Beagles you will ever know.  Aside from tris, we are both really interested in photography and scuba diving.  

Almost 3 years ago we have the opportunity to relocate to Dallas.  It was one of the best things we have ever done.  We love it here for so many reason, but one of the biggest is the huge BT community.  We have been so fortunate to make so many friends and live such an active lifestyle.

We would love to have you join our mentor group!! 

Edited by dodgersmom 2008-12-17 1:13 PM

2008-12-17 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1856442

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Dodgersmom and Doughboy's Group Open
I hope there's no rules against being a mentor and a mentee...(and if there are newbies that need this more than I do - please kick me out...)

Anyway, I'd love to be in your mentor group because 2009 is (hopefully) my season to go long. I've done sprints and attempted an Oly (weather turned it into a long duathlon) as well as half-marys. This year, my goals are a full mary, a full Oly, and (cross fingers) a late-season HIM. (Oh, and I want to do a 12-hour running race, but I haven't yet convinced my hubby that I NEED to do it yet.

So...if you have a place for me, I'd love some advice on building up and going long(er)...
2008-12-17 10:58 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Cheaters! Or is it lazy that you're both splitting mentor duties?

Can I join?

2008-12-17 11:15 AM

Hello my name is freddie and I have always wanted to do the ironman but just never dedicated my self. Well this year I want to prepare for the 2010 ironman. so that roughghly gives me about 22 months to prepare.I know i'm shooting high but why not . I  finished the turkey trot full marathon and wanted to do the white rock marathon but heel is still sore.Well that iswhy i'm here looking for gudiance in the tri sport

2008-12-17 11:19 AM

User image

NoVA

I'd love to join your group!  My husband (who isn't a member here) and I will be training and racing together this year, including the NJ state tri.  He'll do the sprint and I'm going to do the Oly.

I have to run my son to school, but wanted to sign up for this group before it fills!

~Susan

2008-12-17 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Ohio

Hi Dodgersmom and Doughboy,

2009 will be my 3rd year of triathlon. I dove into this sport headlong in 2007 completing 6 races (2 sprint and 4 oly). Last year I tackled the HIM distance finishing 2 HIM's three weeks apart and and six races overall. A few months later I DNF'd my first marathon due to a knee issue.

I have signed up for IMKY 2009 and am in my base training phase, mostly just trying to keep in shape over the long winter.

I'd like to join if you have room.

2008-12-17 12:34 PM

Hello There - I am very new here and to all this. So, if you think I am too new, please feel free to kick me out. I have never done any sports in my life - ever. I dabled a little bit with some casual bike riding after I got married to my husband in 2004, so all that means is that I know how to ride a bike.

I haven't really had a lot of problems with weight in my life until I got married. A few months ago (I think mid-life crisis), I realized that I better start getting in shape and take care of my health. So I decided to go back to the gym. I started working out on a regular basis. Then a month ago, I saw information about a mini sprint (10 min-swim, 30 min- bike, 20 min-run) at my gym. My brother-in-law started doing triathlons last year and I always wondered. So, I decided to sign up for it.  

All that said, my goals for 2009:

1. Mini sprint in Jan. 2009

2. Sprint in May 2009 (not signed up for it yet, want to see if I survive the Jan. one first)

3. If I ended up surviving the 2 events, may sign up for others later in the year.

My stats:

Age - 29                Marital Status - Married (no kids)

Weight - 115-116 lbs.

Height - 5'

Swim - haven't so far been able to swim for more than 5 mins. at a stretch. Average about 1 min/50 yds.

Bike - Average somewhere between 12-14 mph on stationary

Run - Just started running a month ago or so (on the treadmill). Too cold to go outside. Just a couple of days I was actually able to 1.75 miles in 20 minutes, which is a new achievement for me.

So - Do you think I can join your group?

Edited by linawalton 2008-12-17 12:35 PM
2008-12-17 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Hi, you may not remember me, but we met at Longhorn in October! Can I join your mentor group? I've never been part of a mentor group before. My goals for 2009 are a few Olys and at least one Half. I eventually want to do the full IM in 2010, but I need more milage under my legs first so 2009 will be dedicated to getting ready to take the plunge to the full IM.
2008-12-17 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Hi All!  Welcome to the fun bunch!

Looks like we have a good group shaping up.  We are planning to cap it at 8, so right now we've got room for 2 more.  Our group consists of a mix of Mini sprint to Ironman athletes.  Some have been in it for a while, some are fairly new.

I hope you will all find that Marcy and I are able to be a help to you when you need us, along with the other seasoned veterans in the group. 

Like Marcy said in her first post, we are targeting 3 HIM's this year, and yes, I do expect that I will put an IM back into my schedule in 2010.  Probably IMAZ because of the  favorable weather conditions in November.  Maybe IMFL, who knows.  Since The year is dotted with HIM's in April, June and October, The training volume will jump early in January, and stay way up thru June.  Right now I look at Lonestar in April as a B race, and Eagleman in June as my A race for the year.  We'll see where Longhorn fits into the mix in October.  We will dot the calendar with 4-6 Sprints or Oly's thru the year too, as well as lots of bike rallies.   Hotter than Hell 100 will make the schedule again this year in August.

I look forward to reading and learning from all of you! 

2008-12-17 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1859128

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Zilla 2008-12-17 1:17 PM
2008-12-17 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1859128

Doughboy - 2008-12-17 12:57 PM

Our group consists of a mix of Mini sprint to Ironman athletes

I apologize for posting again, but just wanted to get some clarification. I have never done anything before. So, would I still qualify for your group then?

Edited by linawalton 2008-12-17 1:15 PM

2008-12-17 1:18 PM

Master
Keller Tx

To everyone who asked this question......

Can I join?         Heck yeah!  As long as you promise to have fun!

Kristen, Welcome!  We'll do everything we can to help you, but we do also have a marathon maniac in our midst too.  She'll be a great source of info too.  We had an Oly turn into a Du last year too.  It was not the most fun race of the year.....

Haley, No we are not cheating!

Freddie, Welcome!  With a marathon under your belt already, you can be more than ready for an IM in 2010.  Which one are you planning to do?  Looks like an October race, so is it IMFL you are looking at?  Since I see that you are brand new here, the best suggestion I can give to you is to log your workouts so anyone can look at them and give some feedback if you need or want it.

Susan, Welcome!  Its great when the whole house is tri crazy isn't it?

David, Welcome!  IMKY is supposed to be a great venue.  With a HIM already in the books you know what to expect.  Lots of gel, powerbars, and spare tubes! 

Lina, absolutely you can jump into this group!  We have all been in your shoes.  I also can bet that we all remember our very first race too.  The best advice I could give anyone about their first race is to remember that this is supposed to be fun!  All of those times are very doable for you based on what you are already capable of doing.  I'll give you the same advice I gave to Freddie above.  If you log your workouts, you'll be able to keep track of progress, and be able to seek advice, if needed or wanted, from anyone else in the group. 

Erin, Welcome.  Yes I remember meeting you in Austin!  You've got an active group of BTers down there, so you should be able to get some nice groups together for some long rides or runs this year to set you up for 2010!

And TJ too!  Yeah! Welcome to the fun bunch!  I know that running is my least favorite too.  The more I do it, the more I tolerate it though.

Edited by Doughboy 2008-12-17 1:24 PM
2008-12-17 1:21 PM
in reply to: #1859196

Master
Keller Tx
linawalton - 2008-12-17 1:14 PM
Doughboy - 2008-12-17 12:57 PM

Our group consists of a mix of Mini sprint to Ironman athletes

I apologize for posting again, but just wanted to get some clarification. I have never done anything before. So, would I still qualify for your group then?

Absolutely Yes!!!!!  That was more of a comment about future goals and past accomplishments together.

We were all beginners once too.  Now some of us are just slightly more practiced beginners.....At least thats what I like to think of myself as.

2008-12-17 1:40 PM

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Dodgersmom and Doughboy's Group -Full

Wow...What a great group!

It's cool that there are are few people here who I have had the pleasure of meeting in person, and some people I will get to know much better in the coming months.

Steve had the best advice when he said that if you are not already doing so, you should log your workouts.  There is nothing I like more than a calendar full of pretty pink squares (OK, if you look at mine this month, it's not great...but there is still time).  Where does everyone live?  I know Haley (Comet) is in N. VA, Erin is another Texan and Zilla (TJ) is in Arizona. 

Winter training can be a challenge for those of you in cold climates.  I admit that I am a cold weather wuss and will be spending countless hours on the trainer.  I have learned, however, that I can run in the cold and not die.  That was a big breakthrough for me.

My race calendar looks surprisingly like Steve's.  LoneStar HIM to start the year, Eagleman HIM in the middle and LongHorn to end it.  For those of you looking for a great late season half, LongHorn is the best!

Living where we do, we could do some sort of organized event almost every week.  We will throw a few local sprint and Oly's in, plus some bike rallies.

Post your tentative 09 schedule, log your workouts and start having fun!!

2008-12-17 1:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

Hi all. My name is Mark and I live in Katy Texas. I've been doing tris for about 4 years now doing all sprints and shorter 5k and 10k foot races.

I am interested in joining your group. I was in Dogermoms group last year for a little bit, but droped in order to join a coached tri group. While that was fun and had certin advantages I think this year I would like the freedom to set my own training schedules and the mentor program seems to fit the bill.

Currently I am doing daily 3-4 miles runs with a weekend run at about 6-7 miles. I am also working to strengthen my core and finally I have taken the 100 push-up challenge.  push-ups are a struggle but it is a fun challenge.

My goal 2009 is to do my first Oly (Lonestar) and then we'll see after that. Perhaps I'll find the courage to attempt a HIM.

Edited by x_caliber50 2008-12-17 1:48 PM
2008-12-17 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1859281

Champion
dodgersmom - 2008-12-17 2:40 PM

Post your tentative 09 schedule, log your workouts and start having fun!!

I'm in central Virginia - not so much snow, but I'm a weenie when it comes to riding in the cold...so I asked the hubby for a trainer for x-mas (and there's a really big box under the tree...) If he listened to me (shouldn't he always?) - I got the angry badger KK trainer. I don't mind so much running when it's cold, though.

My schedule (if I have my way)...

End of March - 10K
Middle of April - Full Mary
Beginning of May - OWS Sprint
June or July - Oly, with couple of pool sprints dotted in
September - HIM (or Oly)
October - 12-hour run
November - Full or half Mary

Thanks for letting me in...I'm looking forward to this!

2008-12-17 1:56 PM

NoVA

Crum!  I just posted more details and my darn router went out and it didn't post.   UGH.   I'll do that later, but glad I'm in!  

I'm also in NoVA... (Loudoun County).

For '09, I'm already signed up for the NJ State Olympic - end of July.  I'm trying to decide how many others I want to do.  We have a bunch of local sprints that I'll split with my husband since one of us has to watch the kids.  (We have two boys - 4 and 5).  Speaking of... gotta go get the 4 year old from school so I'll be back later!

~Susan

Edited by sharse 2008-12-17 1:59 PM
2008-12-17 2:14 PM

Pro
Keller, Texas

Welcome back Mark...there is always room for one more! 

So, 3 from the east coast, 3 from Texas and Zilla out in AZ. 

Edited by dodgersmom 2008-12-17 2:16 PM
2008-12-17 4:21 PM

Queen BTich

I'm still going to call this the "Cheater" group However, work smarter, not harder right?

I guess I need to do an introduction...

I live in Arlington, VA and am stationed at Ft. Belvoir, I am in the Army. I hardly have any time to train and took this year off from tri's as I did not have time to do any this summer (or train). I did 5 marathons this year instead.

I am signed up to do Columbia (Oly) in May and am probably going to do ChesapeakeMan iron distance in Sept, if I stay healthy and can train. Thankfully the race doesn't sell out so I can wait until summer to sign up.

Past stuff: I think I've done 13 marathons (maybe 12?), I've done more sprints and Oly's than I remember as I started doing them before I joined and logged here. 2 HIM's and 1 iron distance as well (2005). Its been a long break, due to military stuff but I'm ready to come back!

And Marcy and Steve are some of my bestest friends I love them.

2008-12-17 4:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

Well I signed up and payed $96 FREAKEN DOLLARS for the 1/4 Ironman at Lonestar, Galvenston TX April 5th.

I guess that means i'm comitted or should be comitted, we'll find out which in the next few months. :P

I think it is so much cooler to say im training for a 1/4 IRONMAN rather than a Olympic distance triathlon. That should really impress those not in the know.

2008-12-17 5:47 PM

Pro
Keller, Texas
We will be there doing the HIM.  I know it is an expensive race, but Keith Jordan, the RD really is the best there is.

2008-12-17 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1859907

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

dodgersmom - 2008-12-17 5:47 PM We will be there doing the HIM.  I know it is an expensive race, but Keith Jordan, the RD really is the best there is.

Yeah I know, I raced the Sprint at Lonestar this year. I've just got too much of my dad in me. Just call me cheap Ba*&ard get over it.:P

2008-12-17 9:45 PM
in reply to: #1859925

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas
x_caliber50 - 2008-12-17 6:11 PM

[ Yeah I know, I raced the Sprint at Lonestar this year. I've just got too much of my dad in me. Just call me cheap Ba*&ard get over it.:P

...and TELL ME to get over it I meant...

2008-12-18 8:27 AM

Pro
Keller, Texas

Good Morning team!  Happy Thursday

What's on the plan today?  Steve and I have an appointmetn at 4:40.  If it ends early enough it's off to yoga class.  If not, a trainer spin is on the schedule.

Goal for today is to drink at least 48oz of water at work.

Have a great day!

2008-12-18 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1860604

Champion
dodgersmom - 2008-12-18 9:27 AM

Good Morning team!  Happy Thursday

What's on the plan today?  Steve and I have an appointmetn at 4:40.  If it ends early enough it's off to yoga class.  If not, a trainer spin is on the schedule.

Goal for today is to drink at least 48oz of water at work.

Have a great day!

I got in a little run this morning (and did not get taken down by the sidewalk like I did on Monday morning - so success!). Then I had to do some Santa shopping and now I'm at work. If I am even marginally productive, I'm hoping to grab a quick cycle at the gym before picking up the kids from daycare.

48 oz of water at work sounds like a good goal. I'll try that one!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom and Doughboy's Group -Full Rss Feed  

of 19