BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-12-21 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME:
Experior (Michael)

STORY:
I am an adult-onset athlete; prior to triathlon, I never did anything particularly athletic, even as a kid.  When I turned 40 I turned things around and started running, and very soon after became fixated on triathlon.  I'm not sure why -- at the time I couldn't swim, but there you go.  I've since spent an unreasonable amount of time reading and studying triathlon, and I continue to do so.  I just can't get enough!

FAMILY STATUS:
Blissfully married for 16 years.  Three kids (9,7, and 5).  One dog.  One itinerant cat.  One frog who has lived way too long.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Right now I'm doing only run and bike.  No swimming until January, due to a shoulder injury.  Running, I'm focused on getting a PR at the half marathon in a race this Spring.  Biking, I'm doing Jorge's Winter Bike plan on the trainer, with the occasional ride outside.  In general, my view about training is that consistency is the absolutely most important ingredient.  Everything else is gravy.  I like the gravy, but try to stay focused on the consistency.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
This year my big races were the Myrtle Beach Halfmax USAT long course championships and the Beach to Battleship iron distance race.  I did quite a few of the local shorter races, and I also managed to get to a really nice race in Chattanooga this summer.

2011 RACES:
  My 2011 season is still very much in the air.  My main goal this past year was to qualify for ITU Worlds, and I managed that goal, so (with 'financial assistance' secured in the form of a present under the tree!) I'm definitely headed to Las Vegas for ITU Worlds.  Other than that, I'll do a variety of shorter races, and probably try to get a HIM in at some point as well.

WEIGHTLOSS:
  I lost 40 pounds or so when I started.  I'm currently at 'off-season' weight, and will look to lose 10 pounds or so before my first race this Spring.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I love learning and talking about triathlon and endurance sport in general.  I'm a very active member of BT, and I check in to my mentor group very frequently -- usually more than once a day.  Please be aware that although I am perfectly willing to give out advice, information, encouragement, and general good cheer, I am NOT a professional coach.  Come on and let's learn together!

Edited by Experior 2010-12-29 7:04 PM

2010-12-21 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3256073

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Experior's Mentor Group - OPEN
Dude, I am already in a group, but I must know, how long has the frog lived?
2010-12-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3256856

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
elcaminobill - 2010-12-21 6:55 PM Dude, I am already in a group, but I must know, how long has the frog lived?

Ha ha!  The frog was a Christmas present (it was a tadpole then) to my son when he was 4.  I was told it would live about 18 months.  My son is now 9.
2010-12-21 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Good luck with your group,.......................................................................................................................................... frogman!
2010-12-28 1:05 PM

New user
UK
Hi Michael, count me i here's the info.

STORY: I’m Neil in the UK which is very frozen right now! I’m a 45 year guy who discovered triathlon 2 years ago. At the start of 2009 I could swim about 50m of front crawl, running was ok, biking non existent. I worked hard and completed a couple of sprints which fired me up and I took the plunge in Sept 09 and did my first ever open water Olympic, and yep I chose a hilly one! I got round and felt so much excitement at doing so. 2010 was meant to be my push on year but I spent the first 5 months with a back injury, ouch! Acupuncture cured me and I was able to do 3 sprints and went back and did the same Olympic race! Wow I improved by 25 minutes on 2009, over 15 minutes on the swim. I love life, I love training and racing, I love triathlon! I strike a balance between triathlon, family life, work and other stuff I enjoy. The best thing about triathlon for me are the great people I have met and have now become great friends. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married guy with two young daughters, one of which once to be a triathlete.

CURRENT TRAINING: Very patchy as we have had snow and ice for a month now, so mainly in the gym on the spin bike and dreadmill! I have a good mix of training with friends I have met in the club we created and on my own when I relax, and clear my head of life’s stresses.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2010 due to injury was limited – I did 3 sprints and one Olympic plus a couple of 10ks 

2011 RACES:  In the planning phase but it’s a big year for me as I am competing in the UK 70.3 in June. It is recognised as one of the toughest on the circuit as it is mainly up-hill from start to finish, can't wait.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not a target for me as I maintain a consistent weight. Training consistently and well with a good diet (well apart from this week!) keeps me in good shape

2010-12-28 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome Neil!

We're frozen here too -- in South Carolina for crying out loud!  My kids loved the snow on Sunday, though.

I've lived in the UK a few times, one year each time in 1992, 1995, and 2001.

70.3 is a great race distance, and it sounds like a great goal for you this year.

2010-12-28 1:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael-I am not going to take a spot in this group but again wanted to thank you for leading such a great group last Summer.  I will be lurking to pick up some wisdon here and there though.  Anyone looking for a good mentor group should jump in. Michael does a fantastice job.

Randy 

2010-12-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3264695

New user
UK
Experior - 2010-12-28 7:41 PM Welcome Neil!

We're frozen here too -- in South Carolina for crying out loud!  My kids loved the snow on Sunday, though.

I've lived in the UK a few times, one year each time in 1992, 1995, and 2001.

70.3 is a great race distance, and it sounds like a great goal for you this year.

Thanks Michael, Yep my two girls too, well for the first week and then even they became fed up of the snow! I'm really excited about the 70.3, its a really tough test, a few of my pals raced it last year and loved it as well as hating it all in one race! Just starting to put my season together, will post details in the next day or so.
2010-12-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3264710

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2010-12-28 2:47 PM

Michael-I am not going to take a spot in this group but again wanted to thank you for leading such a great group last Summer.  I will be lurking to pick up some wisdon here and there though.  Anyone looking for a good mentor group should jump in. Michael does a fantastice job.

Randy 

Thanks Randy!  I have no doubt you'll learn a lot from Fred this Winter.
2010-12-28 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3264889

Regular
SC
Michael, I would like to join your group if that's ok.  I will give all my details later when I have more time.

Thanks,

Jeff
2010-12-28 4:04 PM

Columbia, SC

Hey Michael!  I have been contemplating the BT Mentor program for a few years.  While, looking at various Mentor Groups, I saw that you live in Columbia, SC, as do I.

I am primarily interested in 2011 being the year that get I get off the couch and get in shape.  I wasn’t sure if your group was right for me, but I had to at least inquire.

NAME: erfarrell (Rusty

STORY: I’m 43 (male) and haven’t done much physically for the past 20 years.  I did play league tennis up until about a year ago when I hurt my shoulder.

I have been interested and intrigued by Triathlon for many years.  I participated in a 6-week triathlon program at the NW YMCA a few years ago, but didn’t take it to the next step. 

FAMILY STATUS: I have been happily married for 20 years.  I have four kids (17, 14, 10, and 3).  We actually have “two” frogs.  I feel your pain.

CURRENT TRAINING: None, but ready!

2011 RACES: It may be premature, but I’m interested in the Lake Murray and YMCA triathlon. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  I currently weigh 230 and would like to loose between 35-45 pounds in 2011.

2010-12-28 5:04 PM

User image

Regular
Hi,
My name is Jan and I need a mentor! Can I join your group?
I have done one triathlon with Team In Training and have continued training ever since hoping to do another triathlon. I am now signed up for St. Anthony's in St. Petersburg Fl. It is May 1st.

I am 52, married to He-Man (he is to me), have 2 fabulous grown children, and 2 babies-my miniature dachshunds. I am a nurse and work 12 hour night shifts-makes workouts kind of tough and working out with anybody else mostly impossible.

I am a runner at heart but after numerous injuries I started cross training and cutting back on my running. This lead me to triathlon. I did not know how to swim when I started with Team in Training and it took me 6 months to be able to do 25 yards without stopping. I am now swimming well but have never swam in the ocean-St. Anthony's is an ocean swim-one of the reasons I am looking for a mentor. I have done plenty of open water swims in lakes and the triathlon I did last year was a lake swim so I know about sighting.

Please let me know if I can join and what I need to do next.

Thank you,

Jan Davis

2010-12-28 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3264957

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Jeff1975 - 2010-12-28 4:48 PM Michael, I would like to join your group if that's ok.  I will give all my details later when I have more time.

Thanks,

Jeff

Welcome Jeff!  Post your story when you get a chance so we can get to know you a little.
2010-12-28 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3264983

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
erfarrell - 2010-12-28 5:04 PM

Hey Michael!  I have been contemplating the BT Mentor program for a few years.  While, looking at various Mentor Groups, I saw that you live in Columbia, SC, as do I.

I am primarily interested in 2011 being the year that get I get off the couch and get in shape.  I wasn’t sure if your group was right for me, but I had to at least inquire.

NAME: erfarrell (Rusty

STORY: I’m 43 (male) and haven’t done much physically for the past 20 years.  I did play league tennis up until about a year ago when I hurt my shoulder.

I have been interested and intrigued by Triathlon for many years.  I participated in a 6-week triathlon program at the NW YMCA a few years ago, but didn’t take it to the next step. 

FAMILY STATUS: I have been happily married for 20 years.  I have four kids (17, 14, 10, and 3).  We actually have “two” frogs.  I feel your pain.

CURRENT TRAINING: None, but ready!

2011 RACES: It may be premature, but I’m interested in the Lake Murray and YMCA triathlon. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  I currently weigh 230 and would like to loose between 35-45 pounds in 2011.

Welcome Rusty!  We'll get you started on the right foot.  There are loads of great events around here.  Setup Events does a very nice job of putting on races, and their races are very beginner-friendly.
2010-12-28 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3265054

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
davisjanis58 - 2010-12-28 6:04 PM Hi,
My name is Jan and I need a mentor! Can I join your group?
I have done one triathlon with Team In Training and have continued training ever since hoping to do another triathlon. I am now signed up for St. Anthony's in St. Petersburg Fl. It is May 1st.

I am 52, married to He-Man (he is to me), have 2 fabulous grown children, and 2 babies-my miniature dachshunds. I am a nurse and work 12 hour night shifts-makes workouts kind of tough and working out with anybody else mostly impossible.

I am a runner at heart but after numerous injuries I started cross training and cutting back on my running. This lead me to triathlon. I did not know how to swim when I started with Team in Training and it took me 6 months to be able to do 25 yards without stopping. I am now swimming well but have never swam in the ocean-St. Anthony's is an ocean swim-one of the reasons I am looking for a mentor. I have done plenty of open water swims in lakes and the triathlon I did last year was a lake swim so I know about sighting.

Please let me know if I can join and what I need to do next.

Thank you,

Jan Davis

Welcome Jan!  I'm not an expert swimmer, but I have done ocean swims quite a few times.  I have to run now, but I'll tell you some stories -- not to scare you!

As for 'what to do next' -- for now, nothing.  Before we really launch into deeper discussion of training and racing, let's wait for the group to fill.  It generally doesn't take long.  Of course, any and all questions and comments are welcome at any time.
2010-12-29 6:59 AM

User image

Regular
Delmar
Michael:

I would like to join your group. A few facts about me: 

I started running in 2010 after 4-5 years of very limited physical activity.  I was a high school and college athlete and at some point in my life I managed to run 10K and take spinning lessons twice a week comfortably. Then kids came into the picture. I am the proud father of three girls ages 5, 4 and 2 and between ballet lessons, swimming lessons, doctor's appointments, etc. I had little time to either run or go back to spinning classes. 
Then in late 2009, I decided to resume running. I was able to run a 5k, a 10K and a half marathon this year. Now I have decided to start training to run triathlons. 
I downloaded the swimming program from BT (Learn how to swim) and I am at week 4 of the first month hoping to build my swimming skills for my first tri: Memphis in May - Sprint Tri (in May obviously). 
My goal for this year is to compete in at least 1 race (sprints) per month starting in May and depending on how my swimming builds up, I would like to try an Olympic distance in September. 

I am really looking forward to hear back from you and start exchanging questions and answers. 

Thanks
- Manuel 

2010-12-29 7:47 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome Manuel!

What sport(s) did you do in high school and college?
2010-12-29 8:13 AM

Regular
SC
Just wanted to follow up with my details:

NAME: Jeff 

STORY: I’m 35 and did my first (and only) tri in June of 2009 after reading an article about multisport and getting a nudge from a good friend who is a seasoned triathlete.  I had hoped to do more events that summer and in 2010 but life got in the way.  Like you Michael I've never been particulary athletic, even in my youth. 

TRAINING
: Currently only running, but will be getting a new pool membership soon and need to dust off the bike.  My training has definitely been hit and miss.  The main goal for 2011 is consistent training.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 5 year old son.

2011 RACES: I would love to get to a point in my fitness next year where I would feel comfortable with a late season 70.3.  Other than that, some local sprints, an Olympic distance, and some local run events. 

WEIGHT LOSS
: I'm 5'11" and was 184 last night.  That's the heaviest I've been in a while, but I haven't turned down any food over the holidays either.  I'd like to drop ~15 pounds before the summer.

Looking forward to learning from you all.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff1975 2010-12-29 9:41 AM
2010-12-29 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome (again) Jeff!

As you noted, consistency is key.

There are at least three late-season 70.3 races in SC on tap this year.  There's the new Rev3 race in the upstate, the Augusta 70.3, and the SC Half.  I've done the SC Half -- a very nice race.  I am considering using it as tune-up for ITU Worlds this year, but haven't decided.  The Rev3 also promises to be a great race.  They know how to put on a race, and the area where they're putting it on is beautiful.  I haven't done Augusta, but know people who have.  It is a very fast course.
2010-12-29 10:11 AM

New user
UK
Hi Michael. I have identified a few races that I'll do, will add/amend to them in due course. Current 2011 as follows:

30/01 - Ferriby 10 miles (run)
06/03 - Clumber Park Duathlon
20/03 - East Hull 20 miles run (possible depending on fitness)
April - Sprint Triathlon somewhere
08/05 - Beverley 10k (run)
15/05 - Hull 10k (run)
29/05 - OLympic Triathlon somewhere
19/06 - UK 70.3 - Wimbleball
(Jul - Aug) TBA
11/09 - Leeds Olympic Triathlon

What do you think?

Edited by njc65 2010-12-29 10:12 AM
2010-12-29 10:42 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Hi Michael, I'd love to join your group.  I've never been part of a mentor group before so I'm not sure what to expect, but I imagine it will be beneficial!

NAME: melbo55 (Melanie)

STORY:
Age: 37.  Have always been active in sports and activities, some organized, some not.  Currently my main activites are ice hockey (goalie), Tae Kwon Do, and triathlon, with occasional kayaking and hiking thrown in the mix.  Got into triathlon in 2010 after a long hiatus from running, never swam competitively, but road and mountain biked consistently (for fun and exercise, not racing) for the past 6 years or so. 

FAMILY STATUS:
married 15 yrs.

CURRENT TRAINING:
starting to ramp up the tri training after taking a little break because of the start of the ice hockey season and focusing on recent belt testing in Tae Kwon Do.  It is very time and energy consuming to try to balance all 3.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
3 sprints; Got The Nerve, Dragonfly Tri, Lancaster YMCA Sprint Tri

2011 RACES:
  The same 3 sprints mentioned above, possibly adding the Catfish Tri in July, hopefully finding one for August as well.  Big race (because of the longer distance for me and challenging course): Rev3 Quassy Oly!  Yikes, the hills!

WEIGHTLOSS:
 Had lost around 20+ lbs., gained a little back from not watching my calories.  Ideally would like to lose 20, optimally lose 35.

-- edited to add age, oops!

Edited by melbo55 2010-12-29 11:39 AM

2010-12-29 11:07 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Hello Michael,

Would like to join your group.  I am new to triathlons and have pretty much been a couch potato for a while now. Here is my info:

Weight: 250
Height 5' 8"
Wear size 38 jeans fairly comfortable.

BACKGROUND:
Rode my bicycle a lot until I was able to drive.  Lifted weights through HS and the Army.  Was on the swim team in 10th and 11th grade.  In the Army for 3 years after HS.  Played Rugby one year in college.  I have not done much of anything for about 15 years.  I have walked some and lifted weights occassionly but nothing regular until recently.  Some HS friends and I planned a trip to raft the Gauley River in WV.  I saw the videos and thought man I better do something before I go.  I walked every day for a month and lost about 10 pounds before I went.  The trip was in early October 2010.  One of my HS friends had started doing triathlons.  I talked to him a little.  It seemed interesting and I looked into it.  I found that it does not have to be an Ironman.  I looked at the Sprint races and thought I could do that.  I found this site and started the 20 week Sprint program -run focused in middle October.  At that time I did not have a place to swim so I just did bike on swim days.  I got a membership to a health club in late November and began swimming.  I restarted a new program in December, the 20 week Sprint program, balanced.  I have kept my log on here for those workouts and am continuing to train the best I can.  I have a heart rate monitor and try to keep my HR in the 70-80% range.  Although sometimes that just does not happen. 

FAMILY:
Married 19.5 years, two kids, 17 year old son and 5 year old girl.

RACES:
I plan to race a sprint in April and June and an Olympic or Sprint in the Fall.

WEIGHT:
I have lost a total of 25 pounds since starting walking in September.  Would like to be down another 25-30 by the race in April.

I look forward to joining this group to be able to get some feedback on what I am doing and to be able to see what other people are doing or have done.  I am really interested in hearing about how people got started and what their struggles were.  I hope that I can add to the group with my input and questions that I am sure to have.

Thanks,

Bill Eckert

2010-12-29 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3266144

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome Melanie!

You have quite an array of activities!  Lots of us do.  I think that one of the first things we'll talk about is how to get the training hours in, despite our busy lives.

I've heard good things about the Rev3 Quassy race.  That should be fun!
2010-12-29 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3266199

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome Bill!

It sounds like you are off to a good start, and with your swim background, you have a huge advantage going into it.

Getting started.  Yeah, it looks like that's going to be an important theme for this group.  I'm sure we can all provide one another ideas and motivation.
2010-12-29 4:20 PM

I would like to be a part of your group. 

I am 31 years old and have never been very athletic.  I was doing good training until August when school started and I had to focus all my time and efforts on school and now that I am done with the semester and am taking only one class next semester I am looking to get back into shape.  I have been married for 6 years and have 2 dogs.  I don't have any weight loss goals but am looking forward to redeveloping some of the muscle that I lost this past semester. 

I did a mini tri last year in May and finished and actually had fun. I am looking forward to doing the mini tri again and maybe a full Sprint one.  We'll see how the summer goes.  The local YMCA always has indoor tris that I think sound like fun and they offer an outdoor one in July that I am thinking about doing. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19