BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lumber Dad's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-12-21 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: Lumber Dad's Mentor Group - Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can start any time.
NAME:
Lumber Dad / Lenny
STORY: I run the office of our family run sawmill, now you see where Lumber Dad is from. Did my first Triathlon back in 1994, before they had groups like this. Started running CC in high school (1982). I have done every distance from sprint tri to IM Wis. I enjoy triathlons for the challange and the multi sport.
FAMILY STATUS: Married (18 years) 2 boys 13 & 15. 
CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am just starting to get heavy in to CC ski training, I have a 50K ski race in February. Also doing some running and biking.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: I only got in one triathlon in last year, but I was training for a marathon. Also did a couple other off road running races.
2011 RACES:  Birkebiner ski race in Feb. I would like to do an off road marathon and a 50K race this year. Will also get in 1 or 2 triathlons.
WEIGHTLOSS: Been trying to get back down to 170. I was at 173 before Thanksgiving, I am afraid to look now.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my second year as a mentor. I have been in endurance sports for a long time, so I figure I should be able to help someone out there. Since I work at a desk all day, I am able to responed to questions sooner. I have been on this site and others like it for a few years and have learned tons of information, that I hope to be able to share with others.

Thanks

Edited by Lumber Dad 2010-12-31 8:41 AM

2010-12-23 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3256514

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lumber Dad's Mentor Group - Open

Hi there!

I would love to join your group if that is okay!  I'm racing Ironman WI as my A race this year so I am super excited to talk to someone who has experience!

2010-12-23 7:47 PM

Veteran
I would like to join your group! I am planning on my first HIM in September so I will probably need some guidance in terms of how to train for something like that. I am currently recovering from Achilles tendintis and haven't been able to run for about two months. Mostly been doing swimming and Jorge's cycling plan.
2010-12-24 5:15 AM

Regular
Hi-
I would like to join as well.  I am new to triathlon (one sprint last year) but was lucky enough to get into IM WI in 2011.  I also have the Mooseman 70.3 in June on my schedule, so it will be an exciting, full year.  
I have a family with two little one's as well, so juggling time will be front an center.  I grew up in southern WI and know the conditions pretty well!

Thanks and happy holidays! ~J 
2010-12-24 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3259840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
crea0029 - 2010-12-23 6:43 PM

Hi there!

I would love to join your group if that is okay!  I'm racing Ironman WI as my A race this year so I am super excited to talk to someone who has experience!

Hi Pam, Welcome to the group. Wow, IM WI that is so exciting. Tell me more about yourself, do you have a training plan put together yet?  
2010-12-24 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3259932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
monicamm68 - 2010-12-23 7:47 PM I would like to join your group! I am planning on my first HIM in September so I will probably need some guidance in terms of how to train for something like that. I am currently recovering from Achilles tendintis and haven't been able to run for about two months. Mostly been doing swimming and Jorge's cycling plan.

Welcome to the group. It is exciting to have some new people doing their first long triathlon. I have done Jorge's cycling plan, it is great. I should be able to give you some tips in putting a plan together.

Hope your recovery is going well.

2010-12-24 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3260215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
jsenc2002 - 2010-12-24 5:15 AM Hi-
I would like to join as well.  I am new to triathlon (one sprint last year) but was lucky enough to get into IM WI in 2011.  I also have the Mooseman 70.3 in June on my schedule, so it will be an exciting, full year.  
I have a family with two little one's as well, so juggling time will be front an center.  I grew up in southern WI and know the conditions pretty well!

Thanks and happy holidays! ~J 

Welcome to the group and welcome to BT. Wow, you have a big year coming up, this being only your second year as a triathlete. Do you have and endurance background?

If you haven't looked at it yet, it is a good idea to start using the BT training logs. They are great for tracking your workout and planning your year. 
2010-12-24 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share some of my background and maybe everyone can do the same!

Name:  crea0029/ Pam

Status: I am a 25 year old living at home as I try to get my associates degree in nursing.  I currently work for a local psychiatric hospital in the peds impatient unit as a counselor.  So I guess that means I am really busy between all three!

Story:  I started into triathlons 6 years ago after reading the book Slow Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams.  I started out slow with just sprints and 5K and 10K and have progressively worked up to longer distances.  I attempted Ironman WI in 2009 and unfortunately DNF'ed out of the bike around mile 70 or so.  I spent last year rebuilding my love for triathlons and putting some distance work under my belt.

2010 Achievements: I finished the Walt Disney World Marathon in Jan making that my first marathon ever!  I also set PR's  at my local olympic distance, Race the Lake (90 miles bike race) and Door County HIM.  At the HIM I crashed my bike 50 miles into the bike, got back up and finished still setting a PR and later found out I cracked my helmet at impact!  In October, I ran the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee and bettered my marathon time by 45 minutes!  I have also over the past year lost 42 pounds!

2011 Goals:  My big goal is to FINISH what I started in 2009 with crossing the finish line at Ironman WI.  I will also do an early season marathon (Cellcom) a couple of other triathlons including Door County HIM and Race the Lake.

I have kind of build my own plan with some guidance from an area coach and knowing my weakness and what I really need in order to finish.  The big key for me will be time management and making sure to do every single workout I need to do!

I look forward to having the support of the mentor group in the beginning of the season.  I was planning on running a group of my own, but I figure it would be better to not add to the stuff I need to do this year!

2010-12-24 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
On my Bike or SUP, west of OBX
Hello. 

I would like to join your training group.  This will be my second year of triathlons and have a pretty busy 2011 planned.  2011 will be  a year of firsts for me.  I will be running my first marathon(Shamrock) in March and my first 70.3 in October.  I would love some guidance and pointers from some folks with experience and feedback from fellow newbies.  

2010-12-24 6:47 PM

Hello

I would like to join your group. I have been on this site for a while, I was using it for tracking biking mileage. Stopped exercising for a year or two. Got good and fat. Now I want to loose some weight, and I want to get ready to do a sprint this summer, and some 5 k's. Biking is what I am the best at. Starting to run(got a treadmill today) and (swim joined the YMCA).

Zombie/Ian
2010-12-25 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello Lumber Dad,
    I would like to join. I have a busy year  with a Marathon, 4 century rides and 3 Tris (2 sprints and an Oly) Depending on how well the year goes may do another Marathon at the end of the season. My knee took me out last year so I hope to have a better year in 2011.

2010-12-25 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3260887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
countryvoodoo - 2010-12-24 6:30 PM Hello. 

I would like to join your training group.  This will be my second year of triathlons and have a pretty busy 2011 planned.  2011 will be  a year of firsts for me.  I will be running my first marathon(Shamrock) in March and my first 70.3 in October.  I would love some guidance and pointers from some folks with experience and feedback from fellow newbies.  

Welcome to the group. Looks like you have a exciting your coming up. You should be able to do a lot of running to get ready for your marathon, while adding some biking and swimming on your days you don't run or on your easy run days. 

2010-12-25 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3260892

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Zombie - 2010-12-24 6:47 PM Hello I would like to join your group. I have been on this site for a while, I was using it for tracking biking mileage. Stopped exercising for a year or two. Got good and fat. Now I want to loose some weight, and I want to get ready to do a sprint this summer, and some 5 k's. Biking is what I am the best at. Starting to run(got a treadmill today) and (swim joined the YMCA). Zombie/Ian

Welcome to the group Ian. Since you are a good biker, It might be a good idea to work our your weaker sports over the winter. Having a treadmill and access to a pool will make that easier. For those that want to loose some weight we could start a once a week weigh-in.  
2010-12-25 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3261145

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
wmcgee62 - 2010-12-25 10:14 AM Hello Lumber Dad,
    I would like to join. I have a busy year  with a Marathon, 4 century rides and 3 Tris (2 sprints and an Oly) Depending on how well the year goes may do another Marathon at the end of the season. My knee took me out last year so I hope to have a better year in 2011.

Welcome to the group. Looks like you have a busy year coming up. Looks like from the marathon and the century rides you shouldn't have any trouble with your triathlons. How is your swimming? I can't see your training logs, not sure if you meant to do that.  
2010-12-25 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3260614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
crea0029 - 2010-12-24 12:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share some of my background and maybe everyone can do the same!

Name:  crea0029/ Pam

Status: I am a 25 year old living at home as I try to get my associates degree in nursing.  I currently work for a local psychiatric hospital in the peds impatient unit as a counselor.  So I guess that means I am really busy between all three!

Story:  I started into triathlons 6 years ago after reading the book Slow Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams.  I started out slow with just sprints and 5K and 10K and have progressively worked up to longer distances.  I attempted Ironman WI in 2009 and unfortunately DNF'ed out of the bike around mile 70 or so.  I spent last year rebuilding my love for triathlons and putting some distance work under my belt.

2010 Achievements: I finished the Walt Disney World Marathon in Jan making that my first marathon ever!  I also set PR's  at my local olympic distance, Race the Lake (90 miles bike race) and Door County HIM.  At the HIM I crashed my bike 50 miles into the bike, got back up and finished still setting a PR and later found out I cracked my helmet at impact!  In October, I ran the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee and bettered my marathon time by 45 minutes!  I have also over the past year lost 42 pounds!

2011 Goals:  My big goal is to FINISH what I started in 2009 with crossing the finish line at Ironman WI.  I will also do an early season marathon (Cellcom) a couple of other triathlons including Door County HIM and Race the Lake.

I have kind of build my own plan with some guidance from an area coach and knowing my weakness and what I really need in order to finish.  The big key for me will be time management and making sure to do every single workout I need to do!

I look forward to having the support of the mentor group in the beginning of the season.  I was planning on running a group of my own, but I figure it would be better to not add to the stuff I need to do this year!

Hi Pam, Sure hope we can help get you to the finish of IM Wis. The bike course at Wis is a killer, there are some tough hills. I thought the run course was nice. Being all downtown there is a lot to look at and a lot of people to keep things exciting. I did it back in '06 the year it rained all day.

I also did the Lakefront Marathon this past year. That was a nice race, good place for a PR. I haven't done Door County, but the next time a I do a HIM, thats where it will be. I usually do the 1/2 marathon in Green Bay every year. If I don't make it to Florance for the trail marathon this year I will probably do Green Bay.  
2010-12-25 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3261497

User image

Veteran
Swimming is my weak sport. This time last year I could swim (if you call doggie paddling swimming) the length of the pool one time. I plan on posting my logs starting the new year. Thanks for the reminder.

2010-12-26 8:53 AM

Bio

Name - Zombie/Ian

Family - 2 boys ( 4 and 7)

Last 2 years - No racing or long rides got good and fat

This years goals - 1 charity bike ride (60 miles), couple 5 k, 1 to 2 sprints, Maybe a half marathon, and maybe a full marathon in late fall if it feels right.

Weight loss - get under 200 lbs (34lbs of loss)

My story- Wrestled in HS (36 now), Worked construction to put me through school, Graduated from college with a great medical job that is busy and not as physical and gained 40 lbs. I ride long charity rides for 3 friends that have MS usually gets me into pretty good shape. Life has settled down, and always wanted to do a Triathlon, and I stopped smoking cold turkey 1 year ago on Dec. 30.

Training Plan - Work on Running and swimming mainly. Building a base and some longer distance running.

I like the weekly Weigh-ins idea

Edited by Zombie 2010-12-26 11:05 AM
2010-12-26 2:51 PM

User image

New user

Madison, WI
Hi,

I would be very grateful if I could join your mentor group! My "A" race for 2011 is also IM WI. I started this journey about 5 years ago after being a spectator at IM WI and resolving that I would be a participant the year I turned 50. This summer I finished my first half IM in Racine and decided to continue chasing this crazy dream.

Advice and encouragement would be greatly appreciated and I will try and be a infallible cheerleader in return! 

Merriann 
2010-12-26 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3261995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
merriann - 2010-12-26 2:51 PM Hi,

I would be very grateful if I could join your mentor group! My "A" race for 2011 is also IM WI. I started this journey about 5 years ago after being a spectator at IM WI and resolving that I would be a participant the year I turned 50. This summer I finished my first half IM in Racine and decided to continue chasing this crazy dream.

Advice and encouragement would be greatly appreciated and I will try and be a infallible cheerleader in return! 

Merriann 

Welcome to the group Merriann.
It is exciting to have so many people in the group training for IM Wis. I did Racine the year before I did IMW.

2010-12-26 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Before I joined a triathlon forum, I didn't think I would ever be able to do an IM. After reading a lot of race reports of IM finishers and seeing they are regular athletes like us I wanted to give it a try. The work of an IM takes place in the months of training, when race day arrives it is time to enjoy the whole IM experience. 

I used the book, "Be Iron Fit" to set up my training. I did my long run on Saturday and long bike on Sunday. Depending on your schedule you can change them around to fit your needs. For those that have families, I got up early in the morning to do my workout to cut down on the time away from them.

For those that can get to Madison, it is easy to find group rides on the course just about every weekend.

Try to keep up on your logs so others can see them and encourage you.

Those that are training for a fall race, January is a good time to work on your weaker sport. Those that have an early spring marathon will be doing a lot of running now.

Even though I should be doing some swimming now, I am training for a 50K ski race in February so I am doing a lot of skiing and running. I will add a little biking on off days and some weight training.

If you are not doing it, this is a good time to do some weights. When you are trying to get 3x each sport it is harder to weight train.

Some people think since they are training for an HIM or IM that you can eat what every you want, so they eat more and can gain weight while training. So be careful, power bars can have a lot of calories.

So good luck all and ask a lot of questions.  
2010-12-26 4:54 PM

Greenville, South Carolina
Is the group still open ? If so I would like to join. Like one of the other members I too am racing IM Wisconsin as my A race. Would love to be able to talk to others about the race as well as have others to bounce ideas off of and to get encouragement when needed. Just let me know if you still have openings.

2010-12-26 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3262113

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
sdnebfan - 2010-12-26 4:54 PM Is the group still open ? If so I would like to join. Like one of the other members I too am racing IM Wisconsin as my A race. Would love to be able to talk to others about the race as well as have others to bounce ideas off of and to get encouragement when needed. Just let me know if you still have openings.

Welcome to the group. Would like to hear more about yourself.

2010-12-26 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3262184

Greenville, South Carolina
My name is Brad. I am a 49 year old physical therapist from Greenville, SC who specializes in sportsmedicine. I have a lovely (and very understanding) wife of 20 years and we have three teenagers. A son and 2 daughters. Unfortunately none of them have an interest in triathlon.

I have been involved in triathlons for the last 8 years with 3 70.3 races (Florida twice and Augusta) under my belt. Over the last 2 years however, my racing and training have been limited by injury. The latest was a microfracture on my knee which kept me out of running for 8 months. Now I feel I can finally start training again.

Over the last 2 months I have been strength training 3 days a week and doing a small amount of running/swimming/cylcing. Once the New Year rolls along I will start to increase my activity.

The only things on my race calendar at this moment are a 1/2 marathon in late April, the Clemson Triathlon in mid May, an international distance race in mid June and my A race, IM Wisconsin, in Sept. This will be my first time at the IM distance.

My week points are my swim and my nutrition during the race, both of which I plan to address during my preparation for IM Wisconsin. I look forward to taking this journey with each of you.
2010-12-27 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Lenny,

If you got room for one more, I would like to join the group.  Let me know if there is room and I can post my information.
2010-12-27 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3262603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
53epilot - 2010-12-27 8:46 AM Lenny,

If you got room for one more, I would like to join the group.  Let me know if there is room and I can post my information.

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the group. Looking forward to hearing about you and what your goals are.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lumber Dad's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 19