General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Been bad, back on track... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-20 2:05 PM

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: Been bad, back on track...
Hi Everyone - I haven't written (or even looked at this site) for a long time - months - and I feel sort of like a loser!

I was going to do my first mini-tri this coming Saturday - but didn't really train as much as I had hoped. Now I've decided to wait until next year, to do the same event (or maybe one earlier in the summer).

Has anyone else planned to do a tri and then backed out last minute?

I am back on track with the reason I wanted to do the tri - to lose weight and get in shape. I feel very motivated lately to workout and eat better. So I don't feel too terrible about not doing the tri this Saturday.

I also have had a lot going on (I know - excuses!!) - like potty-training my 3 yr old daughter and dealing with the two little tykes running around my house (3 & 18 months!). Also, my husband has been traveling some so being alone with no break from the kids is hard.

Anyway - I would just like to know I'm not the only one 'post-poning' my first tri.

Also - I just wanted to say "Hey" to you all again and get back in the spirit of this great site again!

Take care - Sue Ellen

2004-07-20 4:29 PM
in reply to: #39081

Washington, DC
Subject: RE: Been bad, back on track...
I've never posted here before, but have postponed enough first tris that I had to repond.

Two years ago I trained for 6 months for my first tri and then 2 months before it caught a cold. It shouldn't have been a big deal, but it turned into some sort of lung infection that was never conclusively diagnosed and took over a month to get rid of. I finally could breathe again 3 weeks before the tri, but with my reduced lung capacity and 6 weeks of severly reduced exercise there was no way I could compete. It was really frustrating standing on the sidelines while I watched my friends finish the race, especially since I was the one who had gotten them all involved in the first place. Unfortunately it was also the end of the season, so I did a 10K in October and tried to be satisfied with that.

Last year I decided that I was going to do the same tri. I fell really out of shape in the winter, so spring tris were out. I didn't really get my motivation up until July for a September tri, but still thought I could do it. I paid the entrance fee and everything, but after a month of training it was obvious that I wasn't going to be able to compete that year either. I just couldn't get myself to the point of being able to run more than 2 miles, and having been in good enough shape the year before that I should have been in the middle of the pack, I couldn't face the idea of barely finishing. So I quit. Hurricane Isabel ended up canceling the tri, and offered me an easy excuse to why I didn't do it. In truth, I had given up weeks before hand.

This year I am 30 lbs heavier than I was 2 years ago, and I need to put an end to the weight gain. I have started running again, but am going to aim for something next spring. This fall is just too soon for the shape I am in. I have been stalking this site a fair amount and think I have found the motivation to keep with it this time. Plus, I have convinced my boyfriend that he wants to do one with me. I can only hope that I manage to remain motivated this time and finally complete one. I'm getting tired of saying that I am going to do this and then backing out.

2004-07-20 4:43 PM

Veteran
Washington
Are you kidding!! I think there are more of us out there than you think! I myself am a reformed "quitter". I choose to think of it as truinig to attain more realistic goals for myself.

Last fall, I moved half way across the country and started a new job (the first out of college!) and truly underestimated the stress that it would cause in my life. Started out really well with training, with goal of running a sprint this summer. Then, winter in the Midwest hit!! And with it came the winter blahs. I couldn't find anyone to train with and lost all of my motivation. So, finally got sick of doing nothing but sitting on the couch, and last week I started running again!! Funny thing is, I didn't loose as much stamina as I thought that I would have! Actually can run a 10 minute mile (just one at this point), with a fair amount of ease. Trying to push myself to hard and overtrain, loose motivation, and start the whole cycle over again.

Now, more realistic goals for myself... a 5K this fall, training over the winter to run a sprint in the spring. May be brave enough to set my sights on a Oly during the summer. But, the main goal now is to stay focused on the 5K. One thing at a time I keep reminding myself. Slow but sure.

Hope to keep seeing you on the sight, recieving the support and motivation that you need!
2004-07-20 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
We just had this discussion in another thread. If you have already paid for the tri, why not just go and do what you can? Look at it as a friendly training event. Don't worry about time - just go for fun.

I have 2 kids too (7- and 5-year olds) and I remember those days of toddlers too well! Just take the the little opportunities as they pop up. I used my baby jogger alot in those days to take long walks. I would seat one in the seat, and the other on the foot platform. Pushing 2 kids is no easy feat!

Do what you can, and don't worry about the rest.
2004-07-21 11:13 AM
in reply to: #39137

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
Thank you all for your comments - it's SOOOO nice to hear I'm not the only one postponing the first tri - I think it was the jitters besides the shape I'm NOT in!

I haven't actually paid the entrance fee (which is another one of my excuses - we don't have any extra money and I couldn't see myself using a much needed $45 for something I didn't know if I was really going to do!) - so that's not bugging me.

Yes - I have been using the stroller, the bike pull-behind thing, and the gym's nursery for getting myself out there and training with the two kids - it's hard work with the extra lbs in walking/running and biking - but the gym is my saving grace - it's a much needed break from the kids most of the time - and they LOVE playing there - so that's an extra bonus!

Anyway - thank you all for assuring me that I'm not the only one doing this and that I can still post here and not feel terrible!

Sue Ellen
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Been bad, back on track... Rss Feed