Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Which event would you do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-20 6:39 PM

User image

Subject: Which event would you do?
Hi everyone,

I'm keen on doing my first triathlon this summer and would like to know which event you'd aim for. I'm in Ottawa and am looking at either the National Capital Sprint tri on August 4 or the Thousand Islands Sprint on Aug 19.

A bit about me to help you. I'm 34, in relatively decent shape, am running the 10km at this coming weekend National Capital Marathon and am a pretty good cyclist. My only major concern is the swim portion. I'm not a strong swimmer and 500-750m just seems so far! Looking at the calendar, the NC sprint is only 8-10 weeks away. Do you think it's doable assuming I'm starting from scratch in the water?

Thanks!

2007-05-20 11:25 PM
in reply to: #808814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Which event would you do?

We have raced in Ottawa at "The Canadian" sprint a couple years ago as well as volunteered at the "Thousand Islands" sprint. While I can't offer you specific advice on which race to do I would probably pick the earliest one if you are capable of finishing the distance. That way, when you realize how much fun they are you can still register and race in the other one!

The RD of the TI sprint is a great person and puts on a nice event. Brockville is a pretty nice place but Ottawa is also. Tough choice my friend!

And yes, 8-10 weeks should be plenty of time if you are consistent. It would be best if you could find someone to help you out with the swim training leading up to the race as well. Don't want to waste time learning bad habits in the water. Might not be a bad idea to get at least one practice open water swim in closer to race day as well.

Michael

2007-05-21 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario

I can't help you with advice on the Thousand Islands Tri, but I did do the National Capital Sprint last year as my first triathlon.  It was a well  organized event, and I enjoyed it very much.  The bike leg along Colonel By is very flat, with a slight downhill at the start to help get you up to speed - overall a very fast course.  The run through Vincent Massey Park is very pleasant with only one small hill on the course.  The swim - well, it is Mooney's Bay.  The water is not the cleanest, but it is a nice sandy start and they had the weeds completely cleared for the race.

As for the swimming - I did the race on only 16 weeks practice.  Get someone to help you with your stroke (there are many options in town) and get at it.  You will be amazed how quickly you can work up to 500 m.  I couldn't do more than two laps without a breather when I started.  I was not the first out of the water, but the benefit of that is passing lots of people on the bike leg .

If you don't already know about it, subscribe to the daily email at www.trirudy.com.  This is a great resource for local triathletes and  will give you a few options for swimming instruction (technosport, b-train, nepean masters, etc...)

David 

2007-05-22 9:14 AM

User image

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate the information and have decided that I'm going for it. Heading to the pool tonight!

Jason.
2007-07-21 5:52 PM

New user

Ottawa
Jason

You may wish to rent a wetsuit for your first tri. A wetsuit makes you more buoyant and and it makes you faster in the water. They can be rented in Ottawa from various places such as Peccos, CycleLogik etc.

I did my first triathlon last year in Ottawa as well. The swim was the most intimidating part, but now I love it!

Good luck.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Which event would you do? Rss Feed