General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standing on hills. Tri easier than my road, what gives?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-21 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Surf City USA Huntington Beach, Calif.
Subject: Standing on hills. Tri easier than my road, what gives??
I was fitted professionally for both my road and tri bike, by the same fitter. Reach is nearly identical on both. I am very comfy on both and have no problem riding 4 to 5 hours on both. Aside from buring muscles , no aches no pains. So I know that the fit is just fine. Here is my "issue" When it comes to hills, I can stand on my tri bike for ALOT longer than my road bike. I can't figure it out. My legs burn so much faster on my roady. Same components, same gearing. I ride my roady 75% of the time and hop on my tri as I get closer to a race to acclimate myself to the position, so it not like I train more on my tri.
Anyone got any clues??

I am thinking its cuz my tri bars are lower than my road bars. They curve down so they are about 1" lower than my road bars. Maybe I support my upper body more when on my tri vs. my road. So I am taking weight on my legs as I pedal.

I'm gonna go talk with my fitter about it but I wouldn't mind some opinions.
Thanks.
Mark

2009-08-21 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2363557

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Standing on hills. Tri easier than my road, what gives??
Modie - 2009-08-20 8:46 PM I was fitted professionally for both my road and tri bike, by the same fitter. Reach is nearly identical on both. I am very comfy on both and have no problem riding 4 to 5 hours on both. Aside from buring muscles , no aches no pains. So I know that the fit is just fine. Here is my "issue" When it comes to hills, I can stand on my tri bike for ALOT longer than my road bike. I can't figure it out. My legs burn so much faster on my roady. Same components, same gearing. I ride my roady 75% of the time and hop on my tri as I get closer to a race to acclimate myself to the position, so it not like I train more on my tri. Anyone got any clues?? I am thinking its cuz my tri bars are lower than my road bars. They curve down so they are about 1" lower than my road bars. Maybe I support my upper body more when on my tri vs. my road. So I am taking weight on my legs as I pedal. I'm gonna go talk with my fitter about it but I wouldn't mind some opinions. Thanks. Mark

Are you sure your crank lengths are the same?  
Same teeth on the little ring on both? 
Does your roady have a lead frame?
2009-08-21 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Yes all components are the same. Crank and rings. But what it lead? I know the geometry of the bikes is different. But the center height of the cranks are the same. Crank to center axle is the same. The reach is almost the same (1/2 shorter on the roady). And when I am off the seat reach really doesnt matter. The only difference I can find based on all the measurements is my tri bars are lower than the road bars.

P.S. I hate hills, I have been riding four years and just started training seriously on hills within the last 6 months. This is why I am noticing such a difference. I used to hit one hill maybe once a week. Now I am hitting 3 hearty hills 2 to 3 times a week.

Edited by Modie 2009-08-21 10:49 PM
2009-08-22 12:08 AM
in reply to: #2363727

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Modie - 2009-08-21 8:45 PM Yes all components are the same. Crank and rings. But what it lead? I know the geometry of the bikes is different. But the center height of the cranks are the same. Crank to center axle is the same. The reach is almost the same (1/2 shorter on the roady). And when I am off the seat reach really doesnt matter. The only difference I can find based on all the measurements is my tri bars are lower than the road bars. P.S. I hate hills, I have been riding four years and just started training seriously on hills within the last 6 months. This is why I am noticing such a difference. I used to hit one hill maybe once a week. Now I am hitting 3 hearty hills 2 to 3 times a week.

I think it was a joke..."Lead" like the really heavy metal that you don't want to be in the paint chips that your kids eat...
2009-08-22 10:24 AM

No big deal. Just some bikes you like better I think. Also, you aren't using your quads as much the time you aren't on the hills on your tribike that may give you the perception you are stronger on the hills when you just may not have burned the required leg muscles as much on the ride to the hill. Make any sense?
2009-08-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2363964

User image

Veteran
nizzracer - 2009-08-22 10:24 AM

No big deal. Just some bikes you like better I think. Also, you aren't using your quads as much the time you aren't on the hills on your tribike that may give you the perception you are stronger on the hills when you just may not have burned the required leg muscles as much on the ride to the hill. Make any sense?

Oh ya, good point. I hadn't considered that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standing on hills. Tri easier than my road, what gives?? Rss Feed