General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chip in carbon fiber frame Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-04 2:13 PM

New user

Lancaster Area
Subject: Chip in carbon fiber frame
I'm looking to purchase this used Felt but there is a chip in the down tube. (see picture).  This is an all carbon fiber frame.  I'm not sure if this bike is still safe to ride or if I should be concerned with the integrity of the frame.  Thanks for everyone's response.

(Bike2.jpg)

(Bike1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bike2.jpg (80KB - 38 downloads)
Bike1.jpg (98KB - 37 downloads)

2009-09-04 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2390173

User image

Subject: RE: Chip in carbon fiber frame
I am no expert.....  but I have a Kuota that came chipped in shipping.  Took it to the LBS (guiltily) and they said it was a paint chip, but keep an eye on it (as with any carbon bike).   Might be the same.
2009-09-04 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
From what I can see it is just in the paint and not even through the primer, that is why you see white.  People need to realized that carbon fiber frames are not brittle-need-to-be-handled-with-kids-gloves items.  I had an Aegis carbon fiber mountain bike back in the mid 90's and raced that thing for 4 years hard.  It had chips, gouges, nicks, and scrapes and just kept on ticking.  The ONLY reason I got rid of it back then was because it was an 1" steerer tube  high end forks were getting hard to find for it.  I would not let a little chip like that worry me.
2009-09-04 4:26 PM

User image

Columbia, MD
Carbon is nowhere near as fragile as some think. What you need to look for is fraying or loose fibers; that's indicative of damage (even then, many if not most carbon frames/parts have a top layer that's only there to protect the structural lower layers from damage). From that picture it looks like a paint chip; it doesn't even look like it's as deep as the primer. Put some clear nail polish on it, and call it good. Obviously look at it periodically, but I wouldn't guess it's damaged.
2009-09-04 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX (Valley Ranch area)
That is touch-up paint away from being tip-top. No worries.
2009-09-04 8:16 PM

New user

Lancaster Area
Thanks everyone.  I didn't think it would be something to be concerned about but needed other opinions regardless.  I appreciate it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chip in carbon fiber frame Rss Feed