Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Skate Skiing anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-01 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC
Subject: Skate Skiing anyone?

I've recently taken up skate skiing - it's quite the workout.  Anyone else?

2011-01-02 12:50 AM
in reply to: #3271847

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Skate Skiing anyone?
It looks like a lot of fun! I would really love to get out and try it, but logi$tic$ being what they are....

I enjoyed reading your blog - I grew up in Armstrong (ages 12 to 18) and spent some time up at Silver Star, mostly downhill but a few times x-country, many years ago!

Happy New Year

kelly t
2011-01-02 10:48 AM

Coquitlam
It is a fantastic workout. Have only done it a few times but it is relatively easy to pick up and it is a full body workout. It is also very inexpensive. Last time my wife and I went the total cost for a day's pass for both of us and rentals was less than just one day ticket at Whistler.
2011-01-02 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC

Yeah it is definitely nice that it's way less expensive than downhill. I have never been down hill skiing though.

As for the "easy" part - haha, not for me.  I took a set of 3 lessons and we learned 4-5 different styles of poling.  I found I could do the offset poling on the right quite well, but got totally messed up when trying some of the other styles.  I'm not the most coordinated person I guess.

Kelly - thanks for the blog comments.   We've only been skiing at Telemark in the west side so far but I want to try out Nordic at McCullough Lake as soon as the temperatures moderate a bit. (It was -25C up there yesterday!).  I know there's great skiing at Sovereign near Vernon.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to fit skate skiing into my training once a week during the next few months.  It means dropping one other work out during the week - can't decide if I should cut out a bike or a run....

2011-01-04 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I doubled the amount of times I've been skate skiing over this past weekend. 2 or 3 years ago I went skate skiing at Cypress twice. I didn't take any lessons, but went with a couple of friends and didn't find it too difficult maybe because I'm an okay downhill skiier and I used to ice skate a lot. I remember it being a hard workout though.

Over this long weekend, we rented some skate skiis and went to Stake Lake in Kamloops on Saturday and Sunday. There were 7 of us in our group and 3 of us were instructors, and 1 other girl was intermediate skate skiier, so the other 3 of us got some good lessons. It seemed a lot easier this time, I guess because I got lessons. State Lake is a lot less hilly than Cypress too, or at least the trails we stuck to were. Cypress really only had one skate skiing trail and it's hilly.

That said, I probably won't go skate skiing too often. I didn't like it as much as cycling and since we can cycle in Vancouver pretty much year round, I don't need to ski and also it was just too much effort (get up the mountain, get dressed, get going) and too cold for an activity I didn't love.

2011-05-02 9:33 PM

User image

100 Mile House
I don't skate ski but I classic xc ski in the winter.Both are a great way to stay in shape.I actually started xc skiing 3 years ago and then took up running to keep in shape during the spring summer and fall.I am attempting my first sprint tri next weekend.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Skate Skiing anyone? Rss Feed