General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What bike should i buy?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-14 5:22 PM

User image

New user

Subject: What bike should i buy??

Hi everybody,

my name is nikolas from Greece and 30years old. After participating in a lot of running races i would like to start triathlon training! I have already signed in for a sprint race in the end of november!

My runnning times are quite good and my swiming is not bad as here in Greece we can swim during all the summer(5months). But i have not any biking experience since i was a kid. So the big question is "What bike should i buy" so that i can start training as soon as possible. I would also like to know some internet sites that i can order the bike because here in Greece bikes are much more expensive. And when i meen 'much more' i meen the double price than US.

I am new in this site but i have already seen how  friendly and helpfull you are with each other.

Thank you for your time.

2006-07-14 5:38 PM
in reply to: #483221

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: What bike should i buy??
If your going to order it and have it shipped to you I would visit the local bike shops and see what kind of bike you like.  You also want to make sure you get the size of the bike correct. There are hundreds of brand names out there and you can get hundreds of responses as to which one to buy. Is this bike only for triathlons or are you hoping to ride it around leisurely when not training? Is the terrain hilly or flat where you live? These are just a couple questions to start with.

Edited by Rowdy 2006-07-14 5:39 PM
2006-07-14 5:45 PM

User image

New user

Good questions!

First of all i will use the bike mostly for triathlon. As for the terrain is full of hills.

2006-07-14 6:01 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Check out what people in your area are riding, see if you can find a cycling shop or two and ask them.

There are a lot of different bikes out there, and more than one will be good for you.  It might really depend on what is available in your area and how much you want to spend.  If you have $$$ then you could go a lot of different ways - if you are on a budget, then that necessarily limits your choices.

You might also see if you could find someone who could lend you a bike for a while just so you could ride and get a better idea, maybe.

Some more questions: How long has it been since you rode a bike?

Are you planning on only using the bike for solo riding and triathlons, or are you also planning on doing some group rides?

Generally, I'd suggest that you get a bike that you could add aerobars onto, etc. and that way you'd have one bike that you could use for road/group riding but that could also be used as a triathlon setup.

Of course, in a perfect world you'd be able to have both types of bikes, but most of us don't have that kind of cash.

2006-07-14 6:18 PM

User image

New user

I dont live in that perfect world like the most of you. I have the money only for one bike.

Your idea of a road bike with aerobars so that i can use it for both leisure and triathlon is good.

The answer for your "how long" question is only 16 years

2006-07-14 8:41 PM
in reply to: #483250

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I am going to pipe up here as I was sold the same vision: buy a road bike with aero bars, will serve all masters. Well, I could never get used to riding aero on my road bike, I tried different fittings, never got it to work for well over a year. Very uncomfortable!

I ended up buying a tri bike, wo, what a difference, I still have my road bike, but I ride my tri bike all the time. A tri bike can be ridden as an all purpose bike, I don't understand what people's issue with that is. You can also climb reasonably well on a tri bike, I do it all the time, this is Northern California, tons of mountains. My road bike is a Felt F60, my tri bike a Cervelo P2C. I took the aerobars off my road bike, the hell with it!

I am a middle distance tri guy, mostly Olympic and Half iron.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What bike should i buy?? Rss Feed