BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-12-22 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Subject: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL

Thank you for taking the time to read about, and hopefully join my (soon to be our) group!  My hope is to help athletes of ALL levels reach their goals - but more importantly - have fun in doing so.  Whether you are a seasoned vet or just getting your feet wet, you are welcome. 

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: 
Now

USERNAME:
 andrew_haberkorn 

STORY:
 While my time in the sport of triathlon has been relatively short (3 years), I've learned a lot about racing/training at different levels.  I'm a former NCAA D1 XC/Track runner, and will begin racing triathlons as an elite/pro in 2011.  I believe my experience (past and future) can provide everyone with insights into the sport that they might not find elsewhere.

When I'm not training or racing, I spend the majority of my time working in the advertising industry as a Sports Marketing Account Executive for Gatorade.  I live in Manhattan Beach, CA and am a proud member of the LA Tri Club.         

FAMILY STATUS: Single in the married sense, but have a wonderful girlfriend 

CURRENT TRAINING: My offseason focus is on swimming/running while I gear up for 2011.  I will be racing Olympics exclusively (draft-legal and non-draft).  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My goal for 2010 was to earn my pro card, which I was fortunate enough to do at the Wildflower Olympic race in May.  The rest of the year was focused on gaining experience and having fun.  I tend to race locally, while branching out for races such as AG Nationals in Alabama.

2011 RACES:  I will be traveling quite a bit to race on the ITU circuit as well as races in NYC, San Fransisco and more.

WEIGHTLOSS: While I don't have specific weightloss goals, I do work with a nutritionist who keeps me focused on what I'm putting into my body.  I believe nutrition is a huge piece to a healthy life and success in triathlon.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I want to give back to the sport of triathlon and can't think of a better way then helping others fall in love with it!  My experience at different levels of the sport should serve as an interesting perspective for those involved.  I am beyond excited to help those new to the sport or just interested in being part of this group.  

I've learned a lot about training for endurance sports over my life and believe I can pass that information along to those interested.  Not only can I pass it along, I can help people implement these learnings into their lives if they so choose.  I am fully committed to being active within this group to whatever extent the group needs.

Last but not least, I am here to help, but also here to make sure everyone feels comfortable asking questions and getting the answer they need.  At the end of the day, this is all about having fun and meeting new people along the way!

Have a great day!  Here's to a great season!

Andrew

Edited by andrew_haberkorn 2011-01-04 11:04 AM

2010-12-31 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - OPEN
Andrew,

I am coming off injury / surgery for a Labrum tear in my shoulder.  I am 7 weeks since surgery.
I am a very slow triathlete, and want to get back slowly to do a sprint in early June. 

I am wondering if I can join your group and get encouragement and help to progress.
2010-12-31 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3270206

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Welcome, Otter! Happy to have you. I think/hope this group can be a great resource for you! When you get a chance, give us a little more info on your goals, etc (and about yourself outside of training/racing) and we can take it from there. I've dealt with some injuries in the past, so hopefully I can share those experiences while you make a comeback from surgery. In the meantime, Happy New Year! Drew
2010-12-31 7:26 PM

User image

New user

Greenville, SC

Hello Andrew,

I would like to join your group if it is possible.

I completed my first season this year and really enjoy it. I want to improve this year and see if I can compete in my AG on a local level. I have been a runner most of life so that is my best sport.

I am 43 years old, 6'2" and weigh 165.  I am married and have 3 daughters (12, 10, and 8). I try to train as much as I can, but I am limited on the time I have after family and work.

In 2010 I did 4 sprints, 2 Olympics and 1 HIM. This year I would like to add 2-3 more races.

Best,

Tom Carroll
2010-12-31 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3270467

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Welcome, Tom! Happy New Year! Look forward to getting to know you! I'll write more soon, but am at a family function tonight. Drew
2011-01-01 3:19 AM

Lake St. Louis
Hi Andrew!

I would like to join your group.  My name is Darrell.  I am also a former DI XC/Track runner.  I ended my collegiate career with a broken ankle and burned out.  The next thing I know is I am 28 years old and 50 pounds heavier than I was in college.  I ended 2010 with some decent injury free running and have lost 10 of those 50 pounds.  Now I am down to 195 instead of the original 205.  I have never done a triathlon, but I have been involved in running since high school and I have tried out bicycle racing the last couple years.  My long term goal is an ironman, but I am thinking maybe some sprints, olympic, and just maybe a half ironman for 2011.  I have completed 3 marathons, 3 half marathons, and more 5Ks and 10Ks than I can count.

Me and my wife are both teachers and coaches.  I coach high school XC/Track.  Currently my training is about 20-25 miles per week running.  Until about a month ago I was swimming 5-8K per week with an occasional short bike ride mixed in there.

My main goals for 2011 include the St. Louis Half marathon in April and then a half ironman sometime later in the year.  I also plan on throwing in a few sprints and an olympic in there somewhere.

2011-01-01 10:05 AM

hi andrew

i've been training for 12 weeks on my own...wanting to train for a jun 2011 event - sprint tri.  can i join your group?
2011-01-01 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Hi I'm Steve - I an a person who participates in triathlons because Dr. ordered exercise and I bore easily in running.

I completed 3 super sprints in 2009, I completed 3 sprints in 2010.  Tore my labrum swimming butterfly in Feb.  Finally got surgery on it in November.

Story: I have been a couch potato who "exercised" by doing 5-6 3-5K races a year, with little exercise in between.  I have had various medical issues, have been diagnosed with High Cholesterol, GERD, Fibra Myalgia, Restless Leg Syndrome, Sleep Apnea.  I have lots of places on my body with little bumps under the skin, that are very painful to the touch.  I am currently 230.5, which is at least 70 pounds over my ideal weight.  I am on 6 different medicines for the list above.

Family: I am married to Karen (24 yrs - 12/27), have 4 children (Sarah (23) ,Karoline (21) ,Chris (19) ,Abigail (17). 

Current Training: I have been doing nothing for over 7 weeks except PT on my shoulder.  It is starting to get better.  So far I have been cleared to ride the bike on the trainer, which will be ready once guests leave after New Years.  Still no swimming.  Can walk, but not run yet.

2011 Races: Rotary Club Pineapple man Sprint Tri on June 5. 

Weightloss: Need to change lots of parameters, drink too much soda and eat too much junk.  Actually lost 4 pounds in 2010.

Why would I be a good mentee?: I log my workouts, regularly communicate issues, need encouragement to keep going.  I also provide encouragement for others to help keep everyone going.
2011-01-01 8:03 PM

New user

Hi Andrew, 

My name is Rick, and I like what I hear and I am interested in joining your group!

STORY:  In 2008 and 2009 I competed in sprint tri's, 5k runs and bike tours, and  I agree that no matter experience (past and future), we can all learn from each other and become a better athlete or person.

While not training, I work in the financial field and live outside of Philadelphia.         

FAMILY STATUS: Married and I have a 5 year old that keeps me on my toes.

CURRENT TRAINING: My offseason focus is to start swimming, get back to competitive running level and keep biking  to compete again in 2011.  

2011 RACES:  I'm looking at competing in Philly's olympic/sprint tri, Patriot Games Tri, 5k races, and bike tours/races.

WEIGHTLOSS: At 155 pounds I'm more concern about losing too much weight and energy.  I'm very interested and open to any nutritional tips you may have, and ways to reduce/avoid injuries during training.  

Why would I be a good mentee?   I have the discipline and motivation within me to train and just need extra motivation and encouragement from a mentor to keep me on track.

Happy New Year and I look forward to working with you!

Thanks!
Rick
?
?

Edited by fsu1 2011-01-01 8:12 PM
2011-01-01 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Welcome, all! Today has been a little hectic, but we'll really get going starting tomorrow. I'm excited to "meet" all of you. Sounds like we have a great group already!Talk to you all soon!Drew
2011-01-01 11:09 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Andrew I would like to join your group as well.  My name is Bert Bledsoe, I live in Colorado Springs.  I am in a relationship and have an 11yr old son.  I ran xcountry 20 years ago in HS. and then began to smoke.  I have been nicotine free for one year now and ran my first race today.  I have been running again for about 3 months and not as consistent as I would like.

My race today was a 5k and I placed 5/13 in my age group and 63 overall. An icey and cold run!!  Oh, I am 37.  I was asked to do the swim leg of a HIM in august and have decided that I would like to train for at least some sprints and see if I could do the HIM myself in Aug.

Hope to be part of your group. 

2011-01-02 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Andrew - looks like a great group is forming - I want in!

My name is James (the username microspawn is just an ‘internet’ name that I have had for 20 years – don’t ask - call me james)

STORY: I have adult onset athleticism. I lost about 75 lbs, stopped smoking and starting exercising almost 10 years ago. I caught the running bug and then the triathlon bug. I raced my first triathlon in 2007 on my 35th birthday. Since then I have raced a couple of half ironman’s and a full (Louisville 2009). I also set a goal to Boston Qualifyin the marathon last year. I was successful. I was also fortunate to get registered for 2011 – I AM BOSTON BOUND. I have been coaching myself and my friends for a couple of years. I am very active in the local running club and I am trying to start a multisport club. I recently acquired my RRCA and USAT (level I) coaching certifications.

FAMILY STATUS: I married my college sweet heart and we had a beautiful daughter. I lost them in a car accident 5 years ago. I went through a tough time (on going) but I am in a very good relationship in new surroundings.

CURRENT TRAINING: I run concentrate in the winter. My 'A' race is the Mardi Gras Marathon on Feb 13 – I want to run 2:59:XX – the running calculators tell me it is just out of reach. I am here to prove them wrong.

I have raced 3 half marathons in the past 2 months – I have dropped my half PR by 10 minutes since last year! I have another half marathon this coming weekend in Mobile, AL (First Light). Then Mardi Gras followed by Boston. I will then jump back into triathlon. Master’s Swim starts back up in two weeks.

2011 RACES: Mardi Gras Marathon, Boston Marathon, all the local triathlons and maybe a fall half ironman – I would like to go sub-5.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am at 160 lbs and would like to race Mardi Gras at 155. Being formerly overweight I am very conscious of my body composition. I weight and record my weight daily – I have for 10 years.

Why would I be a good mentee? I am driven. I am quick to give a compliment. I love to talk the talk and walk the walk of triathlon.

Check out my blog: http://hubcitytri.blogspot.com

Tri-james

2011-01-02 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
My name's David, mind if I slide in here?  I've got about one year of Tri's under my belt, ranging from super sprints (400yd/8mi/2mi) to olympic length.  I turned 40 this year, have been married 13 years, and have two daughters (6 & 8).  I am lucky to make it up to middle of the pack in races, and have no real intention of ever being fast, just like having fun.  The next race on my calendar is on March 27th, an Xterra triathlon (off-road).  I have not been in a pool in months, a little worried about that...

Mostly looking for fun, a little accountability on my logs, and maybe even learn a thing or two! 

More later, gotta go de-Christmas the house.

Edited by norcal_SAHD 2011-01-02 3:19 PM
2011-01-02 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3272688

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Welcome to the group Bert, James and David!  Happy to have you all.

I'm back in Manhattan Beach after spending some time with the family in Colorado Springs (looks like I just missed you Bert!).  The trip was amazing, but I forgot how cold Colorado is.  I went for a run during one of the snow storms which was actually pretty fun, but my eyelashes started freezing together.

How was everyone's holiday break (if applicable)?  I'm really excited about getting this group going.  We still have room for a few more, but from what it sounds like we have a great group already - lot's of variety in goals and background, which should be really helpful for everyone!

I look forward to helping everyone as much as possible, but also learning from you all.  I will never claim to know everything about triathlons (or anything for that matter), so everyone should feel 100% comfortable expressing their thoughts so we can all discuss, and feed off each other. I plan to do weekly (if not more often) "articles" on subjects I think can be helpful for the group.  These can range from product reviews, transition tips, etc.  Please feel free to let me know if you have a topic you'd like me to cover (or if you'd like to add your own write-up).

This is my first time doing this, so please feel free to share any thoughts, ideas, etc. you have about what you would like this group to be.  I pledge to start using the training log and hope you do the same as it will be very helpful for us to give advice.  

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!  

Drew 

2011-01-02 9:33 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Andrew, I have looked at some of the beginner programs and it seems that the Sprint 3x 20 week would be a good program for me, I would like to do my first sprint the first weekend in June, there are a few here in CO and I believe I could be in shape enough by then to finish.  I would eventually like to be in the top half of my AG, and possibly in the next couple of years make it  a bit more competitive at least locally. Although sometimes that seems daunting with all the extreme athletes here in CO.  Anyways I'd like your thoughts on that program.  I think the 2x is a little to light and would not challenge me enough.   And I have lots of questions for everyone in the group that has already competed.  I think this is a great way to help us "newbies" get involved without feeling so uncomfortable.   THANKS
2011-01-02 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3273271

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Bert,

Others may chime in here who have used that plan specifically, but I reviewed it and think it is a solid place for you to start.  It gives you some great structure and should get you ready to race!  Knowing you may step up to a 70.3 (half-ironman) in August, we can make sure you are getting enough in as you go along and adjust if necessary - that will all depend on how your body is feeling, etc.

I think you may surprise yourself with how well you'll do with your athletic background.  I know it's been some time and there was some smoking in between, but your body will likely respond pretty quick.  Let's monitor your training and make sure you are progressing like you hope, while making sure you don't do too much, too fast.  I'm stoked for you!

Ask away with the questions.

Drew

2011-01-02 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
By the way Bert, awesome job on your 5k.  Your results are great, especially since you said you weren't training as consistent as you'd hope.  Write a race report while it's still fresh on your mind so you can look back and learn from it as you go along (and share it with the group if you want).
2011-01-03 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
bledsoepatriot - 2011-01-02 9:33 PM

• .. I would like to do my first sprint the first weekend in June, there are a few here in CO and I believe I could be in shape enough by then to finish.  I would eventually like to be in the top half of my AG, and possibly in the next couple of years make it  a bit more competitive at least locally. ...
  • THANKS

Hey Bert - It sounds like you are super excited, however, you really need to learn to walk before you run. I am not sure of your recent training but I believe (especially in the beginning stages) that less really is more. I would start the program and reevaluate in a week. Andrews is correct - you will be surprised how fast your prior fitness comes back and congratulations on quiting smoking - THAT IS AN ACCOMPLISHMENT. I smoked for 13 years and have quit several times - I have been smoke free for 4 years.

I ran a local 12k race on New Years -( race report - http://hubcitytri.blogspot.com) I was a touch faster than last year but not quite where I want (need) to be. I ran a 6:36 pace for the 12k (last year was a 6:39 pace) but was really looking for 6:30 or less. I was able to keep the intensity but I was never pushed in this race. Last year I think I raced this race above my abilities (being pushed) but this year it was just a very hard tempo. I ran a half marathon two weeks ago (PR) and it was not a perfect race at a 6:39 pace.

I have ran 3 half marathons in the last two months and have seen my PR drop by nearly two minutes. I have just switched over from running high volume to 3x a week intense training (i.e. FIRST). I will be running intervals, tempos and a challenging long run each week.

I have been away from BT for a little while. I am going to start scheduling and record my workouts here again). In the mean time my running schedule is here ( http://powermultisport.com/mardi-gras-marathon-training-plan). This calendar is just short hand for me - it does not include all of the warm up / cool down. All of the intervals will be at least 6 miles. I also cross train quite a bit and I have not put this on my running calendar yet.

I am looking forward to getting to know each of you in the next couple of months.

2011-01-03 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
    so as a little further intro, I had a great tri season in 2010, did an Xterra in March, then a few sprints and one olympic length tri over the summer.  I've been logging my workouts here for over a year, and have race reports up for all of my races in my training log.  After my last tri, my training fell off the table.  I went through October and November with pretty much no workouts, and put on about 15 pounds.  Started running again in December, and am now (today, in fact) going to add back in biking.  Swimming will have to wait a few more weeks until the pool at the local Junior College is open again.

My goals for this year are to lose those 15 pounds again and focus on being steady and consistent in my training.  Races are the reward at the end of the training.  I'm looking to average around 25 miles/week running (over 4 runs), 2-3 bikes/week, and 2 swims/week.

I loosely followed a run focused BT training plan last year, and this year again have a modified plan I'l follow, but it's more of a suggestion than a real 'plan' for me...  I know I'll miss days here and there, and have to move workouts around, such is life.  I am going to keep an eye on the overall weekly volume targets in the plan though, and make sure I hit them when possible. 

more later, gotta go make breakfast.
    david.
    2011-01-03 10:05 AM

User image

Master
    Sedona, AZ
    Hi Andrew-

Mind if I join your group?

STORY:
    Had a biking background many years ago, decided to get back into biking, then wanted to compete in triathlons. I started competing in Triathlons last year, and finished 4 sprints and one century ride. I turned 40 last year, but that wasn't a factor in any of my decisions. I just needed a good outlet for my energy and something to satisfy my competitive juices.

When I'm not training, I am working as an independent computer consultant.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a loving and very supportive wife, no children.

CURRENT TRAINING: Run-focused for the past 4 months, currently around 35 MPW, 5 days/wk. 2 days biking/wk (~70 MPW), 2-3 days swimming/wk (4-6 MPW). A little slower with the winter, but the off-season is short here.

2011 RACES: Planning several sprint and Olympic distance tris, the Sedona Marathon (full distance - my first running race over 5K), and the Soma HIM. Will also race in another century ride.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about 20 pounds since I started training. Planning on losing another 10-12 pounds to get to a good racing weight.

Why would I be a good mentee? I'm motivated to do well, and to compete at a high level. I'll never be an elite, but I'd like to give the age groupers a run for their money!
    2011-01-03 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Welcome MonkeyClaw – congrats on the weight loss.

David – I have been thinking about an xterra – the XTERRA Southeast Championship is in Alabama in June.

I do run on soft surfaces and do some trail running but I need to work on that skill set. My mountain biking skills are even worse. How did the xtrerra compare to a traditional triathlon?

2011-01-03 10:40 AM
    in reply to: #3273999

User image

Veteran
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Welcome, MonkeyClaw!  Happy to have you!
    2011-01-03 10:41 AM
    in reply to: #3274027

User image

Veteran
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Agreed - I've been hoping to jump into a Xterra race or two, but haven't pulled the trigger.  Would love to hear your experiences/thoughts, David. 
    2011-01-03 10:50 AM
    in reply to: #3273530

User image

Veteran
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    James,

Nice work on the 12k.  A PR is a PR, but it's also good to know that you feel like you could have done better.  That seems to keep me hungry in training.  I read your race report and I can empathize with being stuck in no-man's land in races; it can be mentally draining.  

That is one area I'm focusing on in 2011 - pushing through the mental barriers that come up within a race.  It sounds like you did a great job of staying motivated by focusing on holding the competitors behind you off.

One other thing to note about the 12k race.  It is very possible that you were still tired from your 13.1 two weeks ago.  It may not feel like it, but it takes your body quite awhile to recover from long, intense efforts like that.  While it may not be the only variable (wind, course, etc.), that may have aided in your pace being slightly off of your goal.

Again, nice work!  Thanks for sharing your training/blog with everyone.

Drew

2011-01-03 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Drew –

I agree with you completely. There was a head wind in the little 12k and I am usually a big drafter – it makes a difference – physically and mentally. The half from two weeks ago was tough. I raced it just after doing some of my highest mileage weeks – I touched 70+ in the prior 6 days. (I did take two days off for the taper before the half but I definitely felt the fatigue as soon as the race started. I got lucky and slotted behind some pacing very well around my speed and they carried me through.

I have another half this coming weekend and I have dropped off of the volume (I am adding intensity). I am hoping for a new half PR – this coming race was my fastest half of last winter (I race a lot of half’s in the winter). This will be my fourth.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24