BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-13 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL!
NAME: RunningJayhawk / Barb

STORY: I am a 28 year-old gal hailing from Chicago with three passions in life...my family...triathlon...and my Kansas Jayhawks (but don't worry...I'm an equal opportunity mentor...opposing alma maters are welcome in my nest). I come from a rather nonathletic background. Back in 2005 my husband and I went skydiving and after landing I was on such a "life rush" I decided the next thing to do was to run a marathon. The first race I ever finished was the Rock & Roll Marathon in Arizona back in January 2006 at a blisteringly slow pace. I went on to run the Chicago Marathon in 2006, 2007 and 2008...training with Team In Training for all four marathons (serving as a mentor for the three Chicago 26.2's). In 2007 my husband and I decided to try our hand in triathlon and I immediately fell in love with the sport. Every time I cross a finish line at a tri I get that same "life rush" that I experienced from skydiving. I can't imagine my life without this sport.

FAMILY STATUS: My husband and I have been married for 5 years this August. While we don't have any kids (yet)...we have a black pug and orange tabby cat that keep our hands full. I'm lucky enough to be married to an Ironman (IMKY 08) who understands the time commitment it takes to train. However it wasn't always like that...so I can sympathize with those of you who may get an earful from your significant other.

CURRENT TRAINING: Within the past year I have started training by HR Zones although in the past I have trained by RPE (rate of perceived exertion). My official training for the year actually began at the start of April and so right now I'm in a build phase to get a solid base so I'll have anywhere from 7-12 hours of workouts a week.

My philosophy when it comes to training and triathlon is it's not about how fast you swim, bike or run...it's about going out and getting it done. I am a resident back of the packer...in fact I am probably one of the biggest cheerleaders for the back of the pack. So if you've ever had concerns about your speed or not having the most expensive and fancy equipment...I may just be the positive reinforcement you need this season.

2008 RACES: Last year I had my first attempt at the 70.3 distance. I raced Kansas 70.3 and was one of the many folks who got pulled from the course due to weather. My second (and successful) attempt at the 70.3 distance was at Spirit of Racine. Toss in two sprint tris, 2 half marathons and the Chicago marathon and that was my '08 season.

2009 RACES: My "A" race this year is Ironman Arizona and it'll be my first shot at the distance. Along the way I have 2 half Ironman races (Steelhead and the Great Illini Challenge) and the Trek Women's Sprint Tri.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm currently maintaining. The past few years of triathlon I've seen dramatic changes in regards to body fat% and I've never felt healthier.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I understand the need for delicate balance when it comes to training. It's not just about swimming, biking and running. It's about making it fit into your lifestyle...your family time...your everyday 9-5. It's about finding the emotional balance that goes with training (because lets face it...emotional well-being often directly impacts our physical performance). It's about understanding your body on a nutritional level. And for some it involves finding balance on a spiritual level, too. I've been through it all, made some mistakes and learned a lot along the way that I think would be valuable pearls of wisdom to share.

But what it boils down to is I think I'm a pretty darn good motivator and I'm knowledgeable about the sport. Sure, I may not have all the answers...but the the answers I don't have, we'll find out together. And it is my hope that my support will go well beyond the space here at BT.

Edited by RunningJayhawk 2009-04-22 12:59 PM

2009-04-16 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2081113

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Subject: RE: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - Open

I want to be in your group!!!!!  Is it too early to join?

2009-04-16 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Hey Darlin'!! I don't think it's too early (at least I hope not!)...once the need for more mentors arises in the "BT Mentor" forum, they'll shift the thread over.

When's your first race?
2009-04-20 6:11 PM

Veteran
Hi Barb!

I am looking for a group. I did a sprint tri 2 years ago and a half marathon 1 year ago. I would like to get into tri's again, however I have only swam this past half year. I am a really good swimmer ,am ok on the bike and a bad runner. I joined a running group but I am a slow runner.
I am from Chicago Suburbs and am downtown a lot during the summers. Love the lakefront in summers but am a gym treadmill rat in the winters. I like to swim lake Michigan and bike/run on the paths. I am interested in the sprint distance for Chicago Tri. I need motivation!!!!
Please accept me into your mentor group.
Sincerely,
Jeanette
2009-04-20 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2098381

User image

Expert
Chicago
JeanetteJ. - 2009-04-20 6:11 PM

Hi Barb!

I am looking for a group. I did a sprint tri 2 years ago and a half marathon 1 year ago. I would like to get into tri's again, however I have only swam this past half year. I am a really good swimmer ,am ok on the bike and a bad runner. I joined a running group but I am a slow runner.
I am from Chicago Suburbs and am downtown a lot during the summers. Love the lakefront in summers but am a gym treadmill rat in the winters. I like to swim lake Michigan and bike/run on the paths. I am interested in the sprint distance for Chicago Tri. I need motivation!!!!
Please accept me into your mentor group.
Sincerely,
Jeanette

Welcome aboard, Jeanette!!!

First of all, remember that we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. What you perceive to be slow, others may think is really fast. Speed is all relative!

Is the Chicago Tri Sprint the big race on your calendar right now? Are there any other races that you've got on your radar this season? Have you started a training plan yet?

Hopefully you were able to take advantage of the beautiful weather we had on Saturday. Let's not think about what we'll be getting tonight (snowy/wintry mix...but won't stick). At least we'll be hitting 80 on Friday! Woohooo!

If ever you want to get together and pound the pavement or swim in Lake Michigan together, just let me know.
2009-04-20 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi Barb!

Can I join your group? This looks like a perfect group for me. I'm a 27 year old woman from San Francisco training for my first sprint tri. I'll be doing the Chicago Sprint with a friend who lives in Chicago at the end of August.

I'm an ex-collegiate rower and I decided to enter try a tri (pun intended) because I really want to find a sport where I can compete athletically as an adult. I love swimming and biking and am learning to enjoy running. I'm also hoping that training will help me kick start my weight loss. I've lost 45 pounds in the last 2 years and have been holding steady for the past 8 months with about 20 pounds that I'd still like to lose.

That's me in a nutshell. I'm really looking for some motivation and some accountability as I continue on this adventure.

Thanks!

-Margot

2009-04-20 7:04 PM

Regular

Hi Barb,

I would love to join your group. I am 41 years old and hope to do a half ironman distance at 45. I have been doing Sprint tri's for about two years (three- five a season) This year I am moving up to the Olympic distance (CGI-New Jersey Tri-July 26th). I have the most difficulty with swimming. I have steadily improved in the running--12 min. miles 2 years ago to about 9 min mile. Will be completing my third half marathon next weekend (Long Branch Half). After three years of trying to get into NYC marathon, I have an automatic entry (Nov. 1). I recently started to do some trail running and finished a 15k two weeks ago and this weekend a 10K. Many of my races are just fun training runs. I consider myself pretty new to the sport because I just go out and train without much of a schedule. I have only been on the bike twice so far this season. I started about a month ago keeping my log here on BT. Right now I am trying to decide how to handle fuel for the half marathon (probably a gel along the way) I really need help in preparing for the full marathon. I'm confused about fueling along the way.

Not officially married, but been living together with boyfriend for 13 years.

Have about 10hrs a week to train--I do three hours of outdoor boot camp weekly for my core/strength conditioning.

I just recently attended the midatlantic Tri Camp in PA--great stuff. Swimming video and run analysis. Swim video shows that I have no balance in the water and my lower half is basically skimming the bottom of the pool

Thanks, Denise
2009-04-20 10:36 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Welcome, Margot and Denise!! Glad to have you join!

Margot, what made you decide to try the Chicago Triathlon? It's funny because I've done so many local races but never that one (and I can walk to the starting line!). Although I love watching it every year and all the athletes look like they're having SO much fun! And congratulations on the awesome weight loss to date!! That's incredible. Hopefully with the right diet and all the training you'll be doing, you'll be able to lose some (if not all) of those last 20 pounds. But don't let yourself focus on the number on the scale...it's ultimately about how you feel and watching your current body transform into one that will carry you all the way to the finish line. One thing that I love about our sport is that the athletes all comes in different shapes, sizes, speeds...and we all get to line up right along side the pros. What an awesome feeling on race day! Have you already started a training plan for Chicago? One thing you may want to do is make your training logs public so we can follow your weekly workouts and cheer you on with "inspires."

Denise, I am totally jealous on the NYC marathon. My husband ran it in 2007 but I've yet to get in via lottery. This year would've been my 3rd time entering, but even if I won the lottery, it's too close to IM Arizona for me to run it. I could defer, but after this season we're going to be trying to start a family...and a marathon definitely won't be in the cards then. I figure I'll start fresh in a year or two on the entry process. Will NYC be your first full? Have you identified a training plan for the full marathon yet? Let me know if you'd like any recommendations...I've trained with everything from Higdon to Pfitzinger. As far as fueling for next week's half goes...the old adage goes...nothing new on race day. So fuel on race day like you've been fueling for your training runs. We can hone in on nutrition for the full as well. Are you following a specific plan for your tri? ...also, as far as the swim goes know that we've all been there. When I first started tris I would sink like a rock. I ended up taking a Total Immersion-based swim class that totally changed my approach to swimming (and subsequently shaved off a lot of time). Have you thought about getting some one on one time with a swim coach or finding a masters group or swim class to help out with technique?

Edited by RunningJayhawk 2009-04-21 8:51 AM
2009-04-20 11:37 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Barb, I'd love to join your group and have you as my mentor!  I really liked what you said about finding balance & understanding your body on a nutritional level.  That's completely in line with my philosophy! Here's my info:

NAME: yogachic/ Missy

STORY: I'm 27 years old, and have been living in and around Chicago for the last 23 years. Growing up, I was the swimmer in a family of runners.  I took up running about a year and a half ago, and even though I'm really slow, I actually enjoy it now   I also have a background in Tae Kwon Do (first degree black belt) and soccer when I was younger.  In more recent history, I've become a gym rat. . .  I practice yoga and strength train regularly (at least 2x a week each).  I've also dabbled in boxing, kickboxing, and any cardio equipment found in most gyms, but none of those things really held my interest for too long.

I'm a complete tri newbie.  I've been wanting to do a tri for a few years now, but I'm not very competitive (what can I say, I'm a yogi) so racing in general intimidates me a little.  This year I decided to bite the bullet and register for a few races.  Now I'm excited to train for and complete them!

FAMILY STATUS: I'm a single lady living alone in the city.  Umm, I do own a plant.  Other than that, my parents live in the northwest 'burbs, and I have 3 siblings who live in California, New York, and Michigan.

CURRENT TRAINING: I almost always wear my heart rate monitor while working out, but I generallyuse RPE as a better indicator of my effort.  I've found that sometimes my heart rate doesn't rise very high, even though my muscles are working pretty hard (this is mostly true while lifting and cycling).  I've been trying to swim, bike, and run at least 2x a week, as well as including a few yoga classes and strength training sessions into the mix as well.  Right now I'm working on hill workouts on the bike & run for the Galena tri next month, as well as getting my endurance up to complete an Olympic distance by summer.  I'm not really working on my speed right now since it's my first season.  I just want to finish my races feeling good.

2008 RACES: None.  I've actually never done a road race, ever.  Not even a 5k. 

2009 RACES: I did an indoor triathlon last month to get a feel for racing.  I'm currently registered for the Galena Sprint Tri on May 16 and the Chicago Olympic on August 30.  I'm also planning on doing Bigfoot on June 28, but haven't decided whether to do the Sprint or the Oly. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  I've lost about 55 lbs since college (5-6 years ago).  I've been maintaining my current size/weight for about a year.  I'd like to lose another 10 lbs, but it's no big deal for me if I don't.

Edited by yogachic 2009-04-20 11:38 PM
2009-04-21 12:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi Barb!

Thanks for reminding me about the training log, I didn't realize that I didn't have them set as public.

I decided to do the Chicago race because I was planning on visiting several of my close friends who live there over the summer and one of my friends and I decided to do the tri together. We've both been wanting to do one but wanted to be able to do it together and provide support for each other as we train.

I was following a self made training plan last month (swimming 1x a week and spinning and running each 2x a week) and then I pulled a muscle in my hip. I've been taking it easy the last 3 weeks on doctor's orders and finally got back to the gym today. I'll be focusing on swimming and biking the next few weeks until the hip is totally healed and then I'll probably use one of the free plans offered here on BT to give myself some structure. That's the plan for now but I would love recommendations/ideas as to whether or not that makes sense.
2009-04-21 12:21 AM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane

NAME: Javamom/Lisa

STORY: I started running 3 years ago as a way to simply lose weight.  What I found along the way was a ton of adventure!  I had an injury early in my running that led me to start biking.  I discovered that I really enjoyed biking and looked for a way to put the biking and running together and ended up training for my first triathlon back in October 08.  I loved it and have since done four more (3 sprints total, 1 olympic, and 1 quaterman).  Now I want to take the next step and complete a HIM in October of this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three kiddos. :>

CURRENT TRAINING:  Trying to maintain my base in both running and biking at the moment.  The first week in June my HIM plan starts.  I go in one week to have my HR zones tested and hope to use that with my HIM plan.

2009 RACES:  Planning to do a couple of sprints late this summer or early fall as I prepare for the HIM.  I also want to train for a full marathon in January 2010 if everything goes well.

WEIGHTLOSS: Have lost about 30 pounds so far and still have 15-20 to go.  I hope that learning my HR zones will really help with it as well as learning how many calories I burn when I exercise.

I have been a Barb fan for several years now on your blog so I look forward to learning more from you here! :>

2009-04-21 3:09 AM

Hi Barb,

I hope you have room for one more.

I am a 35 year old female traiing for my first half marathon with Team in Training- the San Diego Rock & Roll Half Marathon.  I have completed 5 and 10Ks this spring.  While training for my half marathon I was asked by a friend if I would like to participate in a sprint triathlon coming up August 8.  I told them I would do it.  So now here I am -new to triathlons, new to this site, and terrified of drowning.  I would love to be part of your team and get the assurance I need that I can complete this first  triathlon without drowning or injuries.  Technique has become very important to me as I am still recooperating from ITBS and shin splints acquired from my 1/2 marathon training.  My main goal is to stay healthy and push myself to do something I never thought I could do.  Finishing first is not my number one priority right now.  I will be happy just to finish the race,
2009-04-21 9:09 AM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Hi Barb, is there room for one more?   I'm a total newbie to the sport and my first race, which is a women's only sprint distance is not until September.  I am from Sandusky, OH (right on the lake about an hour west of Cleveland) and the triathlon is in Akron, OH. 
I've done a lot of research and read a few books on the triathlons to see if this is something for me.  I enjoy running but have never done more than a 5k and I used to swim when I was young.  I'm doing this becuase I've always wanted to go a step above my 5k races, and I think the variety in training will be better for my body than doing a run-only event like a 1/2 marathon or marathon. I'm not going to beat around the bush, I'm also doing this for weight loss.  I lost about 25 lbs. last summer before my September wedding and only have about 15 lbs. left before I reach my happy and healthy weight. 

I have not really started my training becuse I'm currently a part time student getting my masters degree to be a librarian and I work full time. My semester is almost over and than I plan to get to work on my training! 

Since this is my first triathlon I will probalby have a lot of questions!
2009-04-21 10:52 AM

User image

Austin, Texas
I'd love to join your mentor group if there's still space.

A quick bit about me, I'm 38 with two kids (7 & 10) and married living in Massachusetts.  Also I work full-time.  I started running last year for the first time to be able to do a local 5K.  I'm now hooked on running.  I've done 2 other 5Ks (one more this weekend) and a 10K.  I'm currently training for my first half marathon at the end of May.  I'm loving the longer distances.

I'm joining my SIL in August where we'll both be doing our first sprint triathlon together. 

I'm nervous about the swimming and the bike part of the tri.  What if the water's too cold, what if I get a flat? 

Being a beginner, I have lots of questions and am still wondering how I'm going to fit in all that training.

Dena
2009-04-21 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2098972

User image

Expert
Chicago
Another Chicagolander!! Welcome, Missy! (seriously...what is up with the weather the past few days, I'm over it. It needs to be Thursday and in the 70's again. I'm over this cold, wet crap!)

Sounds like you've got a pretty good background for triathlon with swimming and running. I've found that yoga is a secret weapon for me when I've had a series of awful training days. It always seems to clear my head and bring me back down to my "roots" so to speak. Do you practice at a studio or on your own?

Like you, I'm not at all competitive when I'm on the course. I'm typically the one dishing out compliments as I get passed on the bike--so if you ever hear "woohoo! nice spandex..." it was probably me. Just remember, at the end of the day, it's really just about you and the clock and seeing how you progress over time.

I'm really excited that you're doing Galena. I did it last year and loved it (bummed that we can't do it this year because of my brother in law's college graduation). I will say one thing about this course...it will make every other bike course you do this year feel like a piece of cake. Definitely get some climbing in between now and then if you can...I have a map for a 25 mile hilly loop in Barrington if you'd like for me to email it to you. Also, are you planning on using a wetsuit (it's a cold water swim if you weren't aware)? Some folks do the race without a wetsuit, but it definitely helps with comfort in the water. And of course, if you have any specific questions about the course, let me know.

What's holding you back from trying the Olympic at Bigfoot? It could be fun to use both big foot and chicago as a benchmark for progress over the summer since they're nearly 8 weeks apart!

Welcome to the group, Missy!!!
2009-04-21 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2098992

User image

Expert
Chicago
calimavs - 2009-04-21 12:12 AM

Hi Barb!

Thanks for reminding me about the training log, I didn't realize that I didn't have them set as public.

I decided to do the Chicago race because I was planning on visiting several of my close friends who live there over the summer and one of my friends and I decided to do the tri together. We've both been wanting to do one but wanted to be able to do it together and provide support for each other as we train.

I was following a self made training plan last month (swimming 1x a week and spinning and running each 2x a week) and then I pulled a muscle in my hip. I've been taking it easy the last 3 weeks on doctor's orders and finally got back to the gym today. I'll be focusing on swimming and biking the next few weeks until the hip is totally healed and then I'll probably use one of the free plans offered here on BT to give myself some structure. That's the plan for now but I would love recommendations/ideas as to whether or not that makes sense.

Well I'm sure you're going to love the Chicago Tri...and what a great experience doing the race with one of your friends! I've found that support while training is critical to keeping me focused, so it's wonderful you've got someone in your everyday life to help push you along.

As far as the plan goes, it makes perfect sense, Margot. The plans here on BT are proven to work and have brought race day success to countless people. Definitely take it easy until your hip is back up and running without pain. We don't want you pushing it too hard too soon!! Listening to your body is key. What else have you been doing to help it heal?

2009-04-21 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2099004

User image

Expert
Chicago
Oh Lisa! I :heart: you. I'm glad to have you along for the ride!!

Your half this year is SOMA, right? I think you'll find that HR training will be really beneficial in the long run. It takes some time to get used to and the notion of going slower to ultimately get faster can be really frustrating...but stick with it, girl! I'm really excited to follow your training...you're definitely going to rock the race. Are you still planning on the big one next year?

And is your full mary going to be RNRAZ? Last year I was able to focus on the 70.3 and then just picked up the long runs after the race was over and kept building until the marathon. One thing I wish I had kept up was the cycling and swimming--it really provided a great cross-training balance for me and would've improved my marathon time in the end. Dah well...live and learn, right?!

2009-04-21 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2099887

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane

RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-21 9:24 AM Oh Lisa! I :heart: you. I'm glad to have you along for the ride!! Your half this year is SOMA, right? I think you'll find that HR training will be really beneficial in the long run. It takes some time to get used to and the notion of going slower to ultimately get faster can be really frustrating...but stick with it, girl! I'm really excited to follow your training...you're definitely going to rock the race. Are you still planning on the big one next year? And is your full mary going to be RNRAZ? Last year I was able to focus on the 70.3 and then just picked up the long runs after the race was over and kept building until the marathon. One thing I wish I had kept up was the cycling and swimming--it really provided a great cross-training balance for me and would've improved my marathon time in the end. Dah well...live and learn, right?!

Yes and yes!!  Soma is the half and the RNAZ for the full.  See I need your expertise on both!   YAY!  Thanks for starting this group for us! 

Oh and then yes, depending on how Soma goes my plan is to volunteer at IMAZ and then sign up for next year.  If Soma is some sort of sufferfest I might re-evaluate but that is my plan/goal/dream for now. :>

2009-04-21 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2099055

User image

Expert
Chicago
Welcome to the group jparo!!

What a great first half marathon to experience. The entire Rock & Roll race series is a lot of fun and I've heard wonderful things about the San Diego one. Are you from the SD area? As you probably read, I'm a big fan of Team In Training, so I hope your experience to date has been a good one. You'll definitely see a lot of purple out on that course!

Now will your triathlon be with the Team as well, or are you training for this one on your own? Being nervous about the swim is completely and totally normal--almost expected for anyone new to the sport. Just remember the following things:
1. There are plenty of other people who are just as nervous, if not more, about the swim.
2. The more time you spend in open water, the more comfortable you'll be.

The second point, naturally, is key. When I first started in open water, I was encouraged to really get a feel for the water around me, so I would go out and breast stroke, back stroke, doggy paddle---you name it...I did it. When I finally felt comfortable in open water, I began to work on my freestyle (swimming in open water is more of a mental game compared to swimming in a pool). Then I'd work my way up to doing freestyle in close proximity to other people until my confidence was high enough to really go for it on race day. It took me a while to get that comfortable though. My first few triathlons were spent either on my back or doing breast stroke in the water.

Have you been doing anything to help alleviate your ITBS? I know from personal experience just how painful that can be. I found that spending some quality time with my foam roller works wonders when it starts to flare up. It's uncomfortable, but really helps and feels better after I'm done.

I know you mentioned shin splints being a problem, too. Out of curiosity, were you professionally fitted for the current shoes you're running in?
2009-04-21 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2099484

User image

Expert
Chicago
erin.kelsey - 2009-04-21 9:09 AM

Hi Barb, is there room for one more?   I'm a total newbie to the sport and my first race, which is a women's only sprint distance is not until September.  I am from Sandusky, OH (right on the lake about an hour west of Cleveland) and the triathlon is in Akron, OH. 
I've done a lot of research and read a few books on the triathlons to see if this is something for me.  I enjoy running but have never done more than a 5k and I used to swim when I was young.  I'm doing this becuase I've always wanted to go a step above my 5k races, and I think the variety in training will be better for my body than doing a run-only event like a 1/2 marathon or marathon. I'm not going to beat around the bush, I'm also doing this for weight loss.  I lost about 25 lbs. last summer before my September wedding and only have about 15 lbs. left before I reach my happy and healthy weight. 

I have not really started my training becuse I'm currently a part time student getting my masters degree to be a librarian and I work full time. My semester is almost over and than I plan to get to work on my training! 

Since this is my first triathlon I will probalby have a lot of questions!

Of course, we've got room for you, Erin!

Glad to see you've turned to triathlon for your next challenge. Although I'm warning you...it's addicting!!! You've got plenty of time to get prepared for your first tri in September. The combination of swimming, cycling and running definitely makes training easier on your body and will help you develop into a well-rounded athlete.

How far away are you from officially earning your Masters? That's so exciting! Definitely focus on finishing up the semester and finding a plan that will work with your schedule and lifestyle. BT has some free plans that you should take a look at when you've got time. Triathlete magazine also recently published a beginner tri training schedule you may want to consider as well.

And of course, congratulations on the weight loss to date. That's so awesome. Keeping active and honing in on your diet will hopefully help shed those last 15.

As far as questions go...ask them as they come up. Before my first triathlon I had a zillion questions and my mentor really helped save the day in the end. If you have the opportunity this summer, you may want to consider volunteering at a local triathlon (or even going and just watching one) so you can see how everything works the day of the race. I like to try and do it once or twice a year and find it's a priceless experience.
2009-04-21 12:06 PM

Extreme Veteran

NAME: roadrhino/Tif

STORY: I'm 31. Was an athlete all of my life until I made a career move in 2004 that completely drained me and wore me down until I became lazy and complacent. I finally made a decision and the committment to change that in October '08. What started as a quest to get "me" back has now become a quest to realize some lifelong goals of completing triathlons and a marathon. I have been a competitive swimmer (& a summer games state gold medalist when I was 9)...collegiate/professional bowler, played softball, basketball, volleyball, track, weightlifting.....anything active I did it.

While I haven't tasted my first tri yet, I have completely been immersed in learning as much as possible and I have thoroughly enjoyed training...even when my motivation is lacking, I almost always feel fulfilled and accomplished once the workout is done.

FAMILY STATUS: I have a SO who is going through this journey with me...EXCELLENT support system! We have 2 adorable Boston Terriers who would do triathlons, too if they could. Laughing

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm finishing a true beginners sprint 16 week training program from something I found online (before I discovered BT). Initially I liked the plan, it was easy for me since I was still getting back into shape. However, now that I am 3 weeks out from my first race, I feel like the plan doesn't push me enough...especially in the running department. Maybe that's just me and my Type A personality coming through. I also wear a HR monitor when training and use it as a guide to see how I feel vs. the HR.

After I finish the sprint on May 10, I'll have about 3 weeks then will start the BT Sprint-Olympic bridge plan with hopes of completing an Olympic tri in the middle of August.

2009 RACES: 05/10- Rookie Tri Sprint; 06/07- Tejas Tri Sprint; 06/28- Memorial Hermann Tri Sprint (tentative); 07/12- Austin Couple’s Tri Sprint; 08/22- Clear
Lake International Tri Olympic 

WEIGHTLOSS:  I've gained and lost weight a few times in my life. I've never had to lose as much as I currently am in the process of right now, though. I topped out at 196.5 in late October...currently I am down to 151.5 with the ultimate goal of being in the 135 range...and maintaining it. Having triathlons and marathons to keep me focused and motivated with several short-term goals, I am confident I'll be successful in achieving this.

2009-04-21 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran

NAME: hippotude/Nik

STORY: I'm 31 years old. I was a high school athlete (basketball and track) and experienced a major knee injury that required surgery my senior year. At that point I lost motivation and became inactive and stepped away from athletics all together. I recently decied I was tired of being lazy and overweight and needed to start working out again. My SO talked me in to training for a triathlon. I have to admit that I was scared of the idea of a triathlon at first, but I am now excited about the process and the thought of competing again.

FAMILY STATUS: I have a SO and we have embarked on this journey together. We have 2 wonderful Boston Terriers and they keep us busy. They are very active and love for us to play in the yard with them.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm finishing a true beginners sprint 16 week training program. I have enjoyed the workouts and feel that I have made big improvements in the swim. I also wear a HR monitor when training and use it as a guide to see how I feel vs. the HR.When I finish my first sprint on May 10, I will begin training for an Olympic in Aug.

2009 RACES: 05/10- Rookie Tri Sprint; 06/07- Tejas Tri Sprint; 06/28- Memorial Hermann Tri Sprint (tentative); 07/12- Austin Couple’s Tri Sprint; 08/22- Clear Lake International Tri Olympic

WEIGHTLOSS: I have battled my weight off and on. The heaviest I have been is over 200 lbs. in college (gained a little more than the freshman 15:). I started working out again this Oct. and was 178 lbs. when I started. I am now down to 142. Having the triathlons and marathons as goals keeps me motivated now that I have obtained my weightloss goals.

Edited by hippotude 2009-04-21 12:21 PM
2009-04-21 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2099796

User image

Expert
Chicago
DenaRae - 2009-04-21 10:52 AM

I'd love to join your mentor group if there's still space.

A quick bit about me, I'm 38 with two kids (7 & 10) and married living in Massachusetts.  Also I work full-time.  I started running last year for the first time to be able to do a local 5K.  I'm now hooked on running.  I've done 2 other 5Ks (one more this weekend) and a 10K.  I'm currently training for my first half marathon at the end of May.  I'm loving the longer distances.

I'm joining my SIL in August where we'll both be doing our first sprint triathlon together. 

I'm nervous about the swimming and the bike part of the tri.  What if the water's too cold, what if I get a flat? 

Being a beginner, I have lots of questions and am still wondering how I'm going to fit in all that training.

Dena

Welcome DenaRae!!

I got into tris after being hooked on running, so I understand where you're coming from. And like you, I loooooove the longer distances. Which half marathon and which tri are you doing?

Like I mentioned to jparo, it is completely natural to be nervous about the swim. Spending quality time in the water is the way to help build your confidence with the swim. You can also find a local swim class through a tri group, a master group, or meet with a local swim coach to help work on your technique.

Cycling is definitely the weakest of the three disciplines for me, so I completely relate to your apprehension on the bike. But the biggest factor to overcoming this is getting plenty of "T.I.T.S." (time in the saddle). Are you planning on riding clipless (where your shoes are actually clipped into the pedal of the bike)? using cages? or the standard traditional pedal?

I've had the exact same questions that you've had in the past. If the water's too cold...more than likely you'll still swim. Why? Because if you're cold, the other 1,499 participants are cold, too. And as triathletes, we're all in the same elements together! But there are a few tricks to help you warm up in the water that we can talk about along the way (double up the swim cap, body acclimation, using neoprene cap/booties, wetsuit, etc.).

OH! The much-feared flat!! I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from with this one!! If you get a flat...you wouldn't be the first to get one in a race and I promise you won't be the last one either. Learning to change a flat is something that we all as triathletes will have to face at some point or another. Personally, I dread getting flats. Last year, I couldn't change one to save my life. But then before my first HIM, I forced myself to learn. I had seen it done multiple times, but really it came down to getting dirty and figuring it out. As much as you won't want to do it, my advice is to practice changing the tube a few times a month. Time yourself and watch the times improve as you get closer to race day. I've seen a tire changed probably a dozen times...but nothing beats the hands on experience of actually doing it yourself. Maybe we could make it a monthly challenge among our group to help make it more fun? ...and then we can all laugh at my time when it takes me an hour to change a flat (no joke...first time I did it...it took close to 50 minutes).

But most importantly...when it comes to getting your training in, don't look at the big picture. It can be overwhelming. Just take it one workout at a time each day. I find that I do better getting my training done in the morning before work. I sometimes end up staying late at work and things happen in the evening and I can miss an important workout. But if I'm done before my day really starts, then I don't have to worry about being stuck late at work or catching up with friends over a last minute dinner date.

Inch by inch, training's a cinch! Yard by yard, the training can get hard.

Everyone gets one first triathlon, and I sincerely hope you (and everyone here) has as much fun as I did during my debut tri. Literally, after I crossed the line I proclaimed to my husband that "this was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on!" Getting to the start line can be hard work with all the training, but race day is your reward...so you deserve to go out and have a blast on the course.
2009-04-21 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2099894

User image

Expert
Chicago
Javamom - 2009-04-21 11:28 AM

Yes and yes!!  Soma is the half and the RNAZ for the full.  See I need your expertise on both!   YAY!  Thanks for starting this group for us! 

Oh and then yes, depending on how Soma goes my plan is to volunteer at IMAZ and then sign up for next year.  If Soma is some sort of sufferfest I might re-evaluate but that is my plan/goal/dream for now. :>)

:snort: sufferfest?? PLEASE, girl. Whatever. You're going to be absolutely brilliant. Your half will have ups and downs...you'll suffer, you'll dazzle and you'll survive. That's just how distance tris work. And ya know what...you'll be in line the morning of 11.23.09. So I don't want to hear any excuses. I suffered enough for an entire tri club during racine after my digestive drama on the bike...and I still signed up. I expect nothing less from you darlin'...you're far tougher than I am. So you better be there!! Hahahahaa

Besides...who else is going to yell at me to suck it up when I'm at mile 15 of the run and wanting to curl up under the bridge for an early evening nap?!

2009-04-21 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Roadrhino & hippotude...do you come here as a pair!?!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 26