General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leader Bike Frames Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-16 11:19 PM

Atlanta
Subject: Leader Bike Frames
Hello All,

I am trying to decide which bike frame to get. I am debating between the Leader TT frames, and the Leader R frames. Which one do you all think I should go with? I do group rides and a lot of hill climbing... which will be better for that a road or a TT? Also when I decided to take the jump into a tri will the Leader R frame be able to be somewhat of a tri frame for the race and training? Thanks for any help/opinions!

2008-08-16 11:59 PM
in reply to: #1608422

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Leader Bike Frames

The difference in those frames is going to be the seat tube angle.  The TT frames are 78 degrees while the R is around 74.  This means you can get into a more agressive and aero postions on the TT frames.  I don't know if there really is a right answer for you, other than what you think might be more comfortable.  You can set either frame up with a tri cockpit or a road bike cock pit.  You likely won't be able to get in the aero position on your group rides.  Well, you can, but people will not be happy with you and it's not ver safe in a pace line.

If I was in your position, I might go with the TT frame with drop bars and clip on aeros.  Slap them on for tri training rides and tri races.  Take them off for road rides.  Then, when you want to go full on tri bike, you can change the cock pit later.

I love my Leader frame by the way.  Here's a gratuitous pic of my homemade tri ride:

Edited by sesh 2008-08-17 12:01 AM
2008-08-17 8:45 AM

Atlanta
Wow I love the all white!
2008-08-17 9:12 AM

Atlanta
Also what do you mean by a tri cockpit or a road cockpit? Does that involve getting a different seat post to change the angle of the saddle? Thanks
2008-08-17 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1608584

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

shubydoobydo - 2008-08-17 10:12 AM Also what do you mean by a tri cockpit or a road cockpit? Does that involve getting a different seat post to change the angle of the saddle? Thanks

Cockpit refers to your handle bar/control configuration. A tri cockpit has a bullhorn/basebar with aerobars (integrated or clip-on with arm pads), bar end shifters and brakes on the basebar. A road cockpit is the standard drop bars, STI shift/brake levers on the drops. 

2008-08-17 1:26 PM

Atlanta
Thank you all for the help! So I am thinking of going with the tri bike and setting it up as a roadie... I have seen some advice on how to change a roadie to a tri bike. Since I am doing the opposite I am guessing I will need to move the seat back and raise the bars... is this correct? Does anyone know where an article or a discussion is about doing this specific set-up on a tri bike? Thanks again for all your help already and sorry for being such a newbie, but I will def try to help people out once I feel like I know what I am doing!

2008-08-17 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1608773

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

shubydoobydo - 2008-08-17 3:26 PM

Thank you all for the help! So I am thinking of going with the tri bike and setting it up as a roadie... I have seen some advice on how to change a roadie to a tri bike. Since I am doing the opposite I am guessing I will need to move the seat back and raise the bars... is this correct? Does anyone know where an article or a discussion is about doing this specific set-up on a tri bike? Thanks again for all your help already and sorry for being such a newbie, but I will def try to help people out once I feel like I know what I am doing!

IMO, if you want a road setup, get one of the road frame; although the seattube angle is one difference, there are others and many of the differences lead to a tri-frame not being as good as a road frame setup as a road bike.  Some of these things include:

• short head tube
  • different head tube angle
  • shorter chainstays
  • shorter top tube

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leader Bike Frames Rss Feed