General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-20 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: newbie...

Hey guys and gals...I have decided to try my hand in my first Tri next year...I definately am going to start with an Olympic distance first and go from there...I am a fairly active cyclist and in the next week or so will be joining my local Masters group...the running part is still up in the air for now until I can get some of this excess weight off...but I should be ready to start that in the next month or two...

I normally ride 4/5 times a week and average 80/100 miles a week...some are more some are less...weather here plays a big part in that during the summer months...The bike is a Giant OCR3 with clamp on aero bars which I hope magically turns into a new Trek 5.2 Madone or a Giant TCR C1 real soon...I went to a Masters swim club a few weeks ago while visiting family in Cali as my wifes uncle is a big time swimmer...we did 1000 yards on Sunday and 1300 yards on Tuesday during our 1 hour swim sessions...the 1300 was with fins though (those things make you feel like superman)...I was pretty whipped after both sessions but it was managable...I did visit my local run shop and they checked me over and fitted me with a pair of Brooks running shoes...weight wise I need to lose about another #15/20 pounds and I will be where I feel I should...no need to put all that extra pressure from my fat belly on to my knees while running...

I posted this over on ST and they said this was the place I should start along with giving me some great info...I would also like to hear from a few beginners as to some of their biggest issues they had...

Is there anything you can tell me starting out that you wish someone would have told you...

Thanks

Jonathan

2008-08-20 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1617052

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: newbie...

Welcome to BT!

Practice your transitions. Swimming, biking and running is great for training, but come race day, transitions add another element to the race. You wouldn't go into your first triathlon without practicing swimming, so you shouldn't go without practicing transitions. I consider them to be the "4th leg of the race". Actually I just made that up, but it sounds good.

Best of luck!
2008-08-20 3:59 PM

User image

Since you haven't run before, and running sounds like it's going to be you most challenging discipline -- start running with good form!  I didn't know this.  I started running as a heel-striker.  To learn what "your" proper form is, run barefoot on the road or hard dirt... take note as to how your foot lands (chances are it won't be the edge of your heel but somewhere mid-foot).  Mimic this style in your normal running. Resist the urge to run on your heels as it will put more stress on your knees and shins. 
2008-08-20 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa

Things I wish I would have known earlier....

* Nutrition - I wish I would have got that figured out earlier.  Nutrition for training and during a race.  There's some good articles on BT about that.

* Running Form - I was just kind of trudging along when I started.  Wish I would have read "Chi Running" a little sooner.

* Swimming - the difference between open water swimming and doing laps in a pool.  You have to practice your OWS or you'll be veering all over the place.  It's also good to think about your stratgey for the swim start.

* Running - The importance of different types of run workouts (Long run, intervals, etc).  I started reading RunningWorld and that helped a lot.

Good luck and Welcome to BT.

2008-08-21 9:42 AM

User image

Master

Agree with some of the comments above but regarding running...I think the best advice is to slowly build a base.  Strict adherence to no more than 10% increase per week, listening to your body, no speedwork or hill work, etc. 

I started as a runner a little more than a year ago and had a biking background and could swim but not strong at it.  Sort of in the same boat and needed to lose 15 to 20 pounds as well.  I've found that listening to my body (especially when it comes to running) is very important.  Cycling base, IMO, does not translate well at all to running.  The impact and stress on the lower body is huge...appropriate amount of rest when the inevitable sore knees, ankles present themselves is crucial.

Just my 2 cents.

2008-08-21 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Missed workouts are common, don't sweat it

Have fun

Join a tri-club or workout with someone at least once in awhile

Volunteer at a race

2008-08-21 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Thanks...the Masters group I am joining has a few people that do tris so I should get some good help there...running is definately going to be what slows me down to start...we have ALOT of rolling hills in the 5% to 10% gradient...and no matter which way I turn out of my driveway I have to go up them from the start...

I went and met with the swim coach the other day and he seemed very knowledgable on swimming and we got along just fine...so it should be a good match...I'm pretty excited about it and am starting to look forward to my training...I do think I will go ahead and sign up for a sprint distance this spring so I can get used to the transitions and excitement of the race...it should also make any area that I'm weak in stick out like a sore thumb...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie... Rss Feed