General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie could use some, well a lot, of advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-22 1:54 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Newbie could use some, well a lot, of advice
Hi all,

While in the shower this past week (I get my best ideas in there ), I decided that I was going to do a triathlon. I've read a bit on this website and it seems achievable, but I have quite a few questions about getting started.

I'm a 25 yr old woman, have been a gym rat for years, but got serious about a year ago. I quit smoking 4 years (and 3 days) ago :-) and I guess completing a tri would be an affirmation that I’ve made up for the lung damage I’ve done. Also, it could help me get a bit leaner (I’m 5’7” and 138).

Anyway, I already bike occasionally and have gone 24 miles on my hybrid Sierra Schwinn (gotta love that cushy saddle). I prefer to do the elliptical/bike at the gym and can go for 1.5 hrs at a time at a moderate pace. I haven’t ever done dedicated swimming, but I do have access to a pool at the gym. And running, well, it’s dismal at best. I ran cross-country in high school and my best 5k time was around 30 mins. It will be a challenge to get hoofing again.

My biggest problems with running is pain in my knees, feet and thighs. :-( I’ll get fitted for some running shoes to see if I can take care of the knee and feet problems, but the thighs are another matter. I have saddlebags (thanks Mom!) that end up stinging from all the movement. It’s like running without a sports bra. Does anyone know of some good compression shorts? Ladies, any other advice?

I was thinking of starting around the middle of the aggressive couch to 5k program and going from there. I think I could still incorporate weight-lifting and pilates into my training schedule, especially since I’m accustomed to working out 1.5 – 2 hrs/day, 4 days/week. Can I do some of the running/biking training at the gym so I can also lift weights or do I really need to be doing most of my training outside? Also, if the training calls for only 30 minutes total of cardio, is it counterproductive to do more or should I up the intensity of the workout until 30 minutes wipes me out?

I know I’ve got a lot of questions, but this website has got me very excited! I appreciate your help. :-)

Whit

2004-03-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: #13714

Regular
Ontario
Subject: RE: Newbie could use some, well a lot, of advice
First of Welcome to the site! There is no shortage of encouragement and information to be had.

There is no reason why you can not do part of your training indoors and in fact there are som benifits to doing so. But keep in mind it is very different from the "real thing"

That said there are a number of running plans designed to get the most out of a treadmill (if I can find mine I will post them)
I do most of my hill/tempo training work on a treadmill (long cold winters) and find it an excellent way to control my training and to add strength training all in one trip to the gym.

As for the pain, there are any number of causes that you should be very mindfull of and as always if it persits see a Doctor.
Prevention is ofcourse the best medicine. Beware of overuse injuries (pretty commoun as our bodies struggle to keep up with our ambitions). Good running shoes are ESSENTIAL, get a good fit from a dedicated running store and buy the best shoe you can, it ake a world of difference in the long term. Also specific streching an strength training can dramatically cut down on injuries and make training far more pleasurable.

Thats my 2 cents!

Best of Luck
Monty
2004-03-22 2:32 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!
2004-03-22 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome to the T Spot. I can't help you with women's tri clothes because I am a man but it seems to me that tri shorts would be of benefit to you. Do get fitted for good running shoes, but before you do go see a sports physician; your local university will probably have a good sports clinic. You mentioned doing weights and pilates which are two exercises to accompany your tri training but you might also consider yoga; it consists mainly in stretching exercises which might be what you need to eliviate some of your pain. And, if yoga sounds too esoterical for you, simply do a lot of long slow stretching.
2004-03-22 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Hi,

Welcome to the group. I'm pretty new at this tri stuff, but have been racing for about 7 years. I could never wear regular racing shorts. No matter how thin my legs would get they would still cause burns. For running, I use compression shorts made by New Balance. Under Armour also makes great compression shorts in their new women's line of apparel.

I also purchased the book "Triathlon Training in four hours a Week", by Eric Harr
It is a great book which will help you decide on the intensity of your workout in order to reach your racing goals.

Good luck. Wish I had started that young, but at the time (girls) were not supposed to be running long distances or sweating for that matter!!!!!

Evelyn
2004-03-23 9:07 AM

Champion
Hi Whit, & welcome! Not sure where you're from but here in chilly New England, it's pretty common to do a lot of training indoors during the winter. I'm at the club every day for 1-1/2 hours, doing treadmill and bike trainer routines. I do free weights too, concentrating on shoulders, arms, and back since I don't have access to a pool. I like to mix it up with the cardio workouts, incorporating som speed work into my steady distance routines. I try to vary things to avoid boredom. On weekends I get out to the mountains for some hiking which is good for long distance aerobics, as the hikes can last 6-7 hours or so. I figure this is building a good base for when the weather warms up and I can get the bicycle out on the road.

As far as the running aches and pains, yes, get a good pair of shoes first, and then listen to your body. Try alternating short runs of a few minutes with walking a few minutes. Don't bite off more than your body wants to chew. As with any new activity, ease into it and let yourself develop the muscle strength without getting injured and discouraged.

Max

2004-03-23 9:11 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Thanks everyone -- and an update
I appreciate everyone's responses, especially the compression short info. I'm checking to see if the company I work for makes any (I work for Russell Corp), but if they don't, I'll pick some up today before heading to the gym. I've also done some internet research and came up with a list of shoes to try on. Since I am under-pronated (or neutral at best) the list is pretty short. In fact, I noticed that Nike Air Pegasus, the shoe I was fitted with 10 years ago, was on the list so I guess I'm on the right track.

Well, last night, I decided to share my goal with my best friend. She mentioned that she wanted to get into running again and had always wanted to run in the Peachtree Road Race (7/4 in ATL). I asked if she would run it if I ran it with her and she agreed. So, assuming that I can get a number, I've got about 14 weeks to train for the 2nd 10k I've ever run. Wish me luck. Actually, my friend probably needs the most help since she still smokes! Anyway, I'm trying to get my mom to join in too since she was always a runner. I just think it would be so neat for us all to do it together, especially with our boys cheering us on!

Since I've now got my goal of being able to run a 10k by 7/4, that'll be my primary focus. I don't think that's a bad thing, though, since running is a very weak area for me. I could probably throw some swimming in occasionally, though.

I guess I need to familiarize myself with the training log function in the forum. I'll be using it a lot now!

Again, thanks everyone. You have no idea how excited I am to have a goal to work towards and a community like this for support! :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie could use some, well a lot, of advice Rss Feed