General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri supplies to purchase for race day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-25 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Subject: Tri supplies to purchase for race day
Another newbie question here... I was getting ready to order a race number belt for raceday, and noticed the velcro timing chip strap on the same website that you wear on your ankle.  I just assumed that the race would provide some way for you to wear the timing chip so that it wouldn't get lost.  Am I wrong on that?  Should I order one?  It doesn't say anything in the printed materials I have, and I sure don't want to be without one. 

Any other MUST have that I need for race day - I have the main stuff to swim, bike and run (suit, cap, goggles, shoes, shorts, shirt, helmet and sunglasses), but it's the little things I think I'm going to forget.   It's my first tri, so I don't want to get TOO much extra stuff until I'm sure that I"m hooked.

Thanks!
Jen

2009-08-25 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2368452

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: RE: Tri supplies to purchase for race day
Don't forget sunglasses, sunscreen, extra water, a bucket to carry all the stuff in and to sit on when you're changing shoes. A little Body Glide for the bits. Spare tire, tube.

The best thing to do, though, is to practice ALL of your transitions in your house (or outside) before the race. Make a list. Bring it.

Typically, the goody bags have lots of stuff and the post race spread is usually pretty good, so food likely won't be an issue. A rain jacket if the weather is going to be ugly - you don't need to stand around pre or post race in a cold rain.

Ummm.

The most IMPORTANT thing to do is bring a positive attitude. Expect your plan to get broken some time during the race, and be prepared to adjust on the fly.

Bring a smile too - noone likes a sourpuss on race day.
2009-08-25 8:27 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
D.Z. - 2009-08-25 8:16 AM Don't forget sunglasses don't use  it/need it, sunscreen don't use  it/need it, extra water don't use  it/need it, a bucket to carry all the stuff in and to sit on when you're changing shoes don't use  it/need it

Best thing to remember is to simplify, plan, organize and practice. Most of the "little things" you can do without.

Timing chip company should provide a strap.

Here's my stock reply on what to bring into transition for a sprint, and how to use it:

I did want to add my 2¢ in the form of that one word "simplify," as I see too many triathletes bringing too much and attempting to do too much in transitions, especially in short course races. In my sprint transition bag I pack:

• Beach towel (transition mat)
  • Hand towel (to wipe sweat or dirt, used rarely)
  • Goggles
  • Swim cap
  • Race belt

That's it. Bike shoes stay on the bike, running shoes are on my feet, helmet is on my head as I usually ride my bike in from parking. Nutrition and hydration is preloaded on the bike.

In T1, place goggles and cap in my bag, put my helmet on, grab the bike and go.

In T2, rack the bike, quickly slip into shoes, grab cap and race belt and go.

There are no socks, no sunglasses, no washing of the feet, no nutrition taken, no sitting down in either transition.

Simplified, planned, organized and practiced.

2009-08-26 4:34 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
To answer your question, most races give you a hospital type braclet to secure the timing chip.  the velcro ones are nice because they have elastic that holds the cip to you instaed of bouncing... no big deal but worth a couple bucks if your so inclinded.

Less is more when it comes to bringing stuff to the race.  Hopefully you can swim, bike, and run in 1 outfit with minimal additions.  ( tri -suit, or compression shorts/ top)

Swim wetsuits are great, you need goggles and a cap (most races provide them)

Bike add shoes, sunglasses, and helmet, full water/gatorade bottle.

Run add shoes, lose helmet.

2009-08-26 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I agree to keep it simple and practice a run through at your house at least a few days before your race.
A towel is nice to stand on if you want and a small one to wipe off feet if you want to as well.
I would not bring a bucket to sit on. That is just going to get in the way and you should not be sitting down in a sprint anyways and it will probably just get in the way of other participants.
You don't need a timing chip strap.  I did purchase one since they only cost like $3.
Some races provide the same ones to you while others use a hospital band. The hospital band can cut into your ankle a bit especially on longer races.  It's probably worth the investment since it's so inexpensive.
Sunscreen is good to put on before the race as well as suit juice or body glide (to help get the wetsuit off and prevent chafing).
Good luck!  I am relatively new to this as well.  I thought that I would need a lot of things in transition but I simplied and I am glad that I did.  It was a relief when I arrived in T1 after the swim to only have a few items sitting there!
2009-08-27 7:39 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
The sunscreen is pre-race application (not during a transition), and the bucket holds everything. If you want to sit, either before during or after the race, the bucket will work. It's not extra. You'll need something to carry your gear in. It could be a bag, or it could be a bucket. It's fairly simple.

Anyhow, it's helped me in the first few races I did. Your results may vary.

2009-08-28 5:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Thanks!  I'm sure I'll be fine, but I'm getting a little nervous.  The race is 2 weeks out, and I'm worrying about all those little details (and, of course, hoping that I'm trained enough to finish!!).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri supplies to purchase for race day Rss Feed