General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another clipless pedal question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-26 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA
Subject: Yet another clipless pedal question

The strap broke on one of my toe clips last weekend, which I am interpreting as a sign from above that it is time to go clipless.

I'm not a great cyclist, but I'm working on getting better.  I have a Cannondale C3 road bike (cost about $650) and I'm training to do sprint tris this year and olys next year.  I put about 35-55 miles per week on the bike, and my longest ride has been about 40 miles.   I'm definitely a tri n00b.

However, I also like to ride with my young kids.  They make multiple stops and occasionally disembark from their bikes to explore something of interest.  So I've been looking for a clipless pedal that also has the "option" of being ridden with tennis shoes or sandals in non-clipless fashion.

The LBS recommended I purchase the Shimano PD-M324 (http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.-code-PD-M324.-type-pd_mountain.html).  He said this is a mountain bike pedal, but that it's perfectly adequate for the distances I'm going and for the tris.  In addition, he said that the shoes are easier to walk in, which might help when riding with the kids.  I also noticed the PD-A530 (http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/road/product.-code-PD-A530.-type-pd_road.html), which the Shimano site says is a road touring pedal.

He showed me the Keo line for comparison.  The M324 is definitely heavier than even the entry level Keo. 

Question:  Given where I am on the bike, will going with one of these pedals have anything more than a negligible impact on performance or distance compared to the regular road bike clipless pedals?  Are there any other products that are better that allow the bike to be ridden with normal shoes as well as bike shoes?

Thanks!

2009-08-27 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2372985

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-27 8:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-27 8:24 AM

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Yet another clipless pedal question
A friend of mine uses mtn bike shoes / pedals on his road bike, he says it works fine and he can walk/jog in them if need be.

On the same note, I've ridden on my ultegra pedals with regular shoes on when going around town, and Look's make an adapter kit that fits over Keo's to make them ridable with shoes. This could be an option so you can still have a good training/racing setup, but still fool around with the kids without clogging around.

BTW. NEVER ride a bike in sandals / barefoot. I've seen bad things from when I was a kid.
2009-08-27 8:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
I used my old shimano 747 pedals and mtb shoes for a long time on my road bike, I just recently went to speedplays and tri shoes.

Personally I wouldn't bother with one of the platform type clip in pedals they still suck to use with normal shoes often.

I would get some sort of double sided mtb pedal with a small cleat like a shimano spd type and a shoe that really has the cleat in recessed.  I have  pare of pearl izumi "commuter" shoe that sort of looks like a cross between a sneaker/bike shoe/hiking boot that you can walk around in no problem, only even know there is a cleat there when on concrete. They would be perfectly fine to hop off the bike in and go explore with.

Just how I would go.
2009-08-27 9:12 AM

Pro
Twin Cities
Instead of getting a pedal that matches, you could get a pair of shoes/cleats that allow you to walk in... my MTB shoes are pretty good for that, but even better would be something like Keen's Newport H2 commuter shoe, or another commuter type shoe.

2009-08-28 10:52 AM

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA
Thank you to all of you for your perspectives -- some ideas I hadn't thought about!

I appreciate your responses.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another clipless pedal question Rss Feed