Firm Racing
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 28s
Overall Rank = 316/370
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and ate breakfast of an egg, canadian bacon, toast with PB. My stomach was upset the whole drive to the Tri.
Event warmup:

After registration, set up transtion area and then did warm up. Jogged down to the swim start and surveyed the course...looked much shorter than Mooseman's .6 mile swim and this was .5 miles. Ran back to transition and then went for a 1.5-2 mile bike warm up. Reset up transition and got my wetsuit, cap and google and headed down to swim start. Glen found me there and we wished each other luck.
Swim
  • 18m 24s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was best swim I've every had. I was able to swim continously and only slow down with side stroke maybe 5 times. I was calm and not panicky at all. I was able to draft off a few people. The yellow caps in the wave behind us caught me before the first bouy. I started wide to the left and after first bouy went straight down to the next...first time in traffic in the swim since I normally start in the last wave. It was fine...being bumped..but I did like drafting. My coach had me practice it in my ows...and I think it helped. I had never swim with this high of a HR but it was okay. My first Tri it was higher, but it was from panic not effort.
What would you do differently?:

For me this was an excellant swim. I need to keep practicing ows and work on continous freestyle. But all in all I think it went great. I normally swim 2:45-3:00/100 in practice, so I felt like wow I was smoking.
Transition 1
  • 06m 35s
Comments:

It was far from the end of the swim to the transtion area. I ran it to warm up and it took maybe 5 minutes. Firm doesn't time transtions...but I am using my HRM for my splits. I had my Birkenstocks at the edge of the area so I could run over the pavement with them on.

Take off my wetsuit completely before running to T1....run better.
Bike
  • 43m 53s
  • 12.1 miles
  • 16.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pleased that I passed a lot of people (for me it was a lot). I felt good and was able to go fast on the flats and rolling hills.

Ride the course before the race to learn what part of the hills are worst. Practice more hills...even though I ride hills all the time when riding.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Good Transition...but since we went in and out the same place, those closer had an advantage.

Not much
Run
  • 32m 18s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I brought my water amphipod with which allows me to drink better. I had to walk a bunch so I was surprised by my run time. It was the fastest I have ever gone in a Tri by quite a bit. Normally I'm 12:30

It was f@@king Hot!!!I hate the heat and humidity and it was both. I need to build up my endurance and train more in the hot weather.
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped running and said hi to Kevin and Emily, Glen and people form my Bay State Team.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, fitness level, needing to lose weight.

Event comments:

The Hoyts were racing today. When I saw them it brought tears to my eyes...I have read about them and watched clips on TV. It was very inspirational.

After the race, all the activities were in the sun and it was bloody hot since there was no shade. This is the same course as the Danskin Race held every July/August.Realized after race they had me in the wrong category. They said they would correct it so I'm not sure what I placed in my division. By racing in Athena, I have a better shot at coming in the top three for those competing who are on teams. It felt good to do a personal best in all three parts...fastest swim every, fastest bike in a Tri, fastest run in a Tri. Plus I had fun and enjoyed myself...my number one goal!!

My dream goal times were 27 swim, 43 bike and 33 run. I beat my swim by 8.5 minutes, hit bike time and was slightly under my run. Transtions were longer due to where they set them up...and the long run from beach to T1.

Last updated: 2005-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:24 | 880 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 322/370
Performance: Good
Average HR 147, max 156
Suit: Promotion Full
Course: Triangle course...coming from the point, out to left, accross, and back to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:53 | 12.1 miles | 16.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 288/370
Performance: Good
average HR 158, max 173
Wind: Little
Course: Around the lake. A series of three hills around mile 4...lots of people walking up the hills. The downhill was fun, but half way down turned into a very bumpy road and at the bottom we had to take a hard right. At the end I had my brakes on hard and was not sure I'd make the turn. After that big hill series just rolling hills in a beautiful location.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:18 | 03 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 326/370
Performance: Average
avarage HR 158, max 171
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-26 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Webster Lake Triathlon

2005-06-26 2:25 PM
in reply to: #183866

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Webster Lake Triathlon
Kathy, what a great race you had!!! And PB's in all parts of the race!! You rock! All that hard training you've been doing is really paying off. BTW, you smoked that swim!!! 
2005-06-26 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
WooHoo Kathy- that's quite a race!  All of your hard work has paid off!
2005-06-26 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
way to go kathy!!! You looked great!! Focused on the swim, strong strides at the finish!! Super job!! and a very hot day!!

BTW...so very nice to meet your family, Kevin is such a nice guy.
2005-06-26 6:12 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Fasntastic job cathy  That is so amazing 4 PB in one day...best swim, best bike, best run and best tri......Go celebrate girl and bask in the glow....take care -SMO

2005-06-26 9:36 PM

Champion
Great race Kathy! Congrats especially on the swim, that's a HUGE improvement! After you get past these first couple of triathlons, the butterflies go away and you learn all about pacing yourself. And you learn what to eat in the morning too! LOL, been there and done that!

Good luck on your next race. Hope to see you at one maybe this summer.

2005-07-01 4:00 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on such a great swim! Your run time was great too.

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Webster Lake Triathlon Rss Feed