General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi everyone!!! New here and new to triathlons! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-28 8:58 PM

New user
Boston area
Subject: Hi everyone!!! New here and new to triathlons!

Hi,

I just decided about two weeks ago that I want to finish a triathlon this year.  I have never competed in any of the three sports before, but it sounds like fun to try!   I am hoping to get into better shape and having more of a purpose in my life -- I work full-time and have two young children and sometimes I feel like I have no ME time - so far I have worked out a couple of times swimming, biking, on the treadmill at the gym and something feels different about it now that I am working towards a goal.   I've told a few people that I want to do a tri this year, and they all tell me to start with a roadrace - but there is something about triathlons that seem more challenging and intriguing to me.  I have a million questions, so I am so happy to have found this site.  A friend of mine gave me a simple workout plan for the next few weeks, since I was previously doing no cardio exercise.  This is probably also the time to admit *blush* that the only bike I own currently - my husband picked up at a yard sale last year - and I have only ridden once or twice around the block  :-O .... I used to mountain bike and rollerblade a lot before I had kids  - and I hoping to get my body back and some of my energy back and to finish at least one mini-tri this year!  I live just west of Boston, and am thinking I will do the Danskin mini tri which is in August.  I kind of like the idea that it is just women, which sort of sounded a little less intimidating.  Any advice on selecting your first tri?   Any advice on getting your spouse and/or friends to decide to do a triathlon too - I can't seem to convince anyone else to join me YET? 

Look forward to getting to know everyone!  :-)

2004-03-28 9:06 PM
in reply to: #15022

Champion
Subject: RE: Hi everyone!!! New here and new to triathlons!
Hi Debbie, welcome to the group. There are a bunch of us in New England, I'm out on the other side of Fitchburg, north of Worcester. TriMom217 is down on Cape Cod. There are a LOT of triathlons in the area this summer, perhaps you could try some of the shorter ones to start, lot of them are actually Duathlons, RUN/BIKE/RUN since it's tough to swim early in the year. I'm entered in one in 2 weeks....3 mile run / 10 mile bike ride / 3 mile run out in Sutton MA. Ask lots of questions if you need to, and I can give you links to some of the triathlons in New England if you need them.

Max
2004-03-28 11:24 PM

Hi Debbie -- Welcome to the board.
2004-03-29 12:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-03-29 8:44 AM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi Debbie, welcome aboard. Although I can't tell you a specific tri to begin with, I would suggest that you do a sprint triathlon (500m s, 13mile b, 3.1 m r) at first to see how it goes. As for your bike, you needn't blush; if it is in good working order, that's all you need to train. Just make sure that all moving parts are cleaned and greased and that your tires are inflated to the recommended maximum pressure for more efficient rolling. And, most importantly, make sure that the bike it set up properly for you; if you don't know how go to a good bike shop and have it done.
2004-03-29 8:17 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Hi Debbie, welcome to the site.  Lots of good information here.  I know of several ladies who did a Danskin event for their first tri and raved about it, so that might be a good fit.  Very supportive group I understand, which makes the whole thing less intimidating.

Good luck and good training.

TB

2004-03-29 10:53 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

Welcome

Its nice to see another chow'd here among us.

2004-03-29 10:55 PM

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the site!  Glad to have you here and rest assured you can get your questions answered.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi everyone!!! New here and new to triathlons! Rss Feed