Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » My Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-20 1:47 PM

Calgary
Subject: My Experience

I read a similar thread layout in a weight training forum and found it very useful, so I thought I'd try it here.  Other's experience is welcome along with feedback as I post to this thread over the next whie.

I started tri-training mid march this year and joined a training group with fantastic people!  The schedule was 10-15hrs per week and it turned out to be too much for me.  I became very cranky and very tired yet addicted to the schedule.  I went to the Dr and tests showed some levels were too low for my own good so I had to cut down to recover.

I now have a personal coach and as of April 12th, I've been doing active recovery of 5.75hrs / wk with 1-2 days off and will continue this for a couple more weeks (at most I hope).  We've also changed up my diet and added lots of supplements (all natural) along with ZMA and Tribulus to help with a particular low level.  I'm curious to log my progress on ZMA and Trib as I read other's experience and find it to be qutie interesting.  So here it goes...

2011-04-20 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3456984

Calgary
Subject: RE: My Experience

So here are some retro days...

ZMA and Tribulus were started on April 14th, taking them at night before bed.  At first I took them with some Greek yogurt but then realized that you shouldn't take them with dairy.  So now (as of April 19th) I take them 30-60 min before bed then follow up with a protein shake at least 30 min after I take them then hit the sack.

Day 1 April 15th (took ZMA and Trib first time the night before

Sleep: deep sleep and vivid dreams

workout: run at lunch, swim after work

feeling: by now much better as recovery has begun since cutting back as of April 12th, good energy for the swim

Day 2

sleep: again, deep and memoriable dreams - very vivid

workout: off

feeling: much better, back to normal life feeling

Day 3

sleep: wow, very deep and again vivid dreams - I've read this is common with Tribulus/ZMA

workout: quick run in the morning

feeling: felt great!  Energized after the run and all day

Bonus: got some mojo back, gf is happy ;-)

Day 5

Sleep: deep and vivid

feeling: feel quite focused at work, but don't want to be here would rather train all day - decent energy today

workout: swim - felt great during and energized after again!

Day 6

sleep: crappy had to get up at 430 to fly to site for work! didn't sleep much

feeling: little tired all day didn't get home till 930pm - but still had ok energy for the day

workout: off

I do feel a difference for sure...mood is much much better and energy is great!  I'm sure this is mostly due to recovery training but will see how the ZMA and Trib continue to work.  Sleep is defeinetly deep with funky dreams - not nightmares though...

2011-04-22 11:29 AM

Calgary

Day 7

sleep great sleep

feeling good and fairly rested

woriout morning run, evening swim

Again feeling pretty good today, not sure ZMA and Trib are doing much.  Most stuff I've read is after about 1-2 weeks people really feel the benefits, so we'll see...

This recovery week has really made me feel great, but this mornings run had heavy legs...wonder if I'm loosing fitness...

2011-04-22 11:34 AM

Calgary

Day 8

Sleep: Awsome sleep!  dreams aren't as vivid as they used to be

feeling: felt great after quick lunch run, but 2hr spin was tough!  first hour was gruelling, but second hour picked up.  Was an all out hell session.  First real hard workout since I did my recovery week, so I hope I still have good energy tomorrow...here's to recovery!

workout: enjoyed lunch run, and gave 'er all i had for evening spin and recovered as best I could

Jury's still out on Trib and ZMA...can't tell if it's really doing anything

2011-04-25 1:20 PM

Calgary

Ok, so workouts have increased again, and ZMA / Trib seems to be working in that I feel real good.   Sleeps are great dreams aren't as "vivid" as they were at the start.

Swam 2700 m yesterday (various) drills and felt good all day after that.

Did 1.5 hr bike this morning including 30 mins of hard effort so am feeling tired.  did a recovery smoothy then off to work so am still recovering I think.  We'll see...

While on my recovery weeks I think I leaned up a bit, not positive as I don't use the scale much, but that's what the mirror seems to show.  Which I thought the opposite would happen - figured I'd start retaining water again.

...this seems to be more of a blog than a posting...

2011-04-25 4:11 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
of some interest to you may be the blog functionality of this website were you can log your workouts and add daily comments. Do you know how to use it?

2011-04-25 11:14 PM
in reply to: #3465198

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Trolling?

2011-04-27 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3465198

Calgary

BigDH - 2011-04-25 3:11 PM of some interest to you may be the blog functionality of this website were you can log your workouts and add daily comments. Do you know how to use it?

Yea good point...I'll hit that up.

Thanks!

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » My Experience Rss Feed