General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indy Swim Fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-29 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: Indy Swim Fit
Do any of you belong to Indy Swim Fit? I was thinking about joining to help my swimming. Do the coaches work with you on your technique or do they just put you through the workouts. Let me know what some of the benefits you get out of being a memeber. thanks

Ron

2007-11-29 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1073612

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Indy Swim Fit
Ah . . . ISW . . .the evil empire as we call them.

We as in my team - NASTI (Noblesville). We have won state 2 years in a row and have a fun rivalry with them.

I looked into ISF before I found NASTI and it looks like a great club. It is damn pricey though, at least compared to NASTI. It has more locations of course and many more times to swim.

I am not sure how active the coaching is - probably something you need to seek out a bit. I would pose that question to ISF. I am sure they will let you know what kind of help you would get.

At NASTI the coaches mainly just lead practice, not coach on technique. There are folks that will help you for sure, but you need to ask. I suspect most clubs are going to be that way, but I might be wrong.

2007-11-30 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Thanks for the imput, since I'm a Y member the cost is $28 a month is that high? I'm not sure what most of these clubs cost, how much is it to join NASTI? I swim with friends at the Y in Kokomo and started last year. I average about 1:40-1:45 per 100 for triathlons my last 1/2 Ironman was around 35 minutes, I would like to get to 1:30 or below per 100 and I heard master programs are a good way to gain knowledge and speed. I have basically learned by reading a book and help from a few others.

Ron
2007-12-04 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
ISF has a monthly fee and the Y fees (I am not a member of a Y).

NASTI just decided to go from $25 a year to $75. The winter home (Noblesville HS) is free and the summer home (Forrest park Pool) is either a daily fee or season pass at a discounted rate.

My family gets a family pass anyway, and being in NASTI I get a discount on that.

But, like I said, there are less options with NASTI. 1 location. A few 1 hour practices per week (Sat, Sun mornings and Tues Thurs evenings, but there are more options in the summer) and we have canceled practices due to high school swim meets.

I live in Noblesville, and I cannot get more than 2 swims in per week, so NASTI is a no brainer for me. If I wanted to swim every day, it would be different.
2008-04-29 9:37 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
I am a member of swimfit. I have only swam there for about three months then I stopped thinking of tris. I am thinking about going back, I never cancelled my membership and that was 2 years ago. There is some instruction, but they have a large group to run. Pretty much most of the day is spent on drills or intervals. Ya know if, as a runner, all we did was intervals I doubt I would stay a runner! I just started swimming again and am trying to build up my base swimming fitness a little and then perhaps I will start back in. If you are a fairly good swimmer to start, I think that is a great place to go. If you don't have much of a swimming background, I think I would tend toward periodic 1:1 instruction and a lot of lap swimming till fit.
2008-04-29 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1369001

User image

Fishers, IN
By the way, I do have the greatest respect for the Swimfit program. It is a fabulous organization with broad access to pools and times as was said before. There are a lot of guys who swam in college and there are also slow folks in the slow lanes. I believe it is an excellent way to take your swimming up a notch. I believe at this point I just need some endurance and to focus on technique, when intervals are cranking I have a hard time keeping form.

2010-07-23 9:00 AM

2010-07-23 9:07 AM

ron, i am a member of ISF.  i also race triathlons.  i focus on LD races.  I wish i joined ISF 2 years ago as i would have made better use of my time in the water.  the coaching is excellent- but you do need to listen and be responsive to their guidance.  the coaches know what they are doing and the advice they all give is very consisten (meaning that the coaches dont give conflicting advice). 
there are so many benefits to the program.  i have had a great time with the other athletes and ive been able to make some great new friends.  as a triathlete, i find it hard to train with others as schedules and training programs are so unique.  ISF has not only given me a phenomenal experience with swimming, it has given me a network of athletic friends which i truly lacked before.
the times and locations are varied.  this is a very flexible program.  come to a practice and see for yourself.  talk to the coaches and get your own view on whether or not it will work for you.
catherine
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indy Swim Fit Rss Feed