BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis's Mentor Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-04-23 11:17 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: Artemis's Mentor Group - FULL!

Username: Artemis

My story: I was a competitive swimmer in high school and was pretty active until I went to college. Then I stopped working out so much. My dad encouraged me to start bike commuting to work, so I did that. I got the crazy idea two years ago that I could probably do a triathlon, so long as I learned how to run. I stumbled on the BT "Beginner Couch to Sprint" training plan and followed that. I've done a few sprints, one olympic, and several half-marathons.

Last year, I was sidelined part of the year with injury. I'm still dealing with some illness and injury problems, but trying to get over them. I have hypothyroidism that is finally under control, but I definitely understand the problems that chronic illness can bring to training.

My plans for this year are to do a few sprint tris, the New York City Triathlon, and another olympic tri. I'm also planning to do my first marathon - Marine Corps Marathon.

Family: I'm married with no kids. Maybe one day when I grow up

Personal: I'm a PhD student in Integrated Life Sciences (Bioinformatics concentration) at Virginia Commonwealth University. I've been working on juggling courses, TAing, research, married life, and training. It's always a struggle, but I'm doing my best to make it work. Outside of all that, I like to...sleep?

I don't consider myself an expert, but I might be an expert in things not to do. I've been around awhile and know a fair bit, especially about getting started. I'd love to help along your path in tris.

Edited by Artemis 2008-04-29 3:10 PM

2008-04-27 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1356876

Subject: RE: Artemis's Mentor Group - OPEN

I'd like to join if I can. Completed one olympic tri 2 years ago. Signed up for a sprint tri this August. I need to learn how to swim.

2008-04-27 6:09 PM

User image

Hi Jen,

I'd like to join your group.  I am very new to tri's - here's my story (warning I don't know how to tell a short story) :

I was a swimmer - beginning at age 6 and swam straight through college. (I hated to run as part of training for swimming).  After college did the aerobic classes thing.  Then got lazy and did nothing for a while.  Then got into running....and really enjoyed it.  Got married (my husband was a runner) and we had three kids (they are now 7, 5, 4) and a dog.  Have been running again, doing races here and there.  I want to add something to the mix and thought the tri would be fun.  Hit the pool again, and it felt - ok.  Am getting a road bike in another week.  

My family is very supportive of my activities.  However, I must admit that my stuff comes in right after the dog (my fault, I have prioritized it that way).   I run before the sun rises - the kids and husband are asleep.  I swim a couple days a week when the younger two are in pre-school and there is nothing else I have to do.  I am just getting into biking, so I am not sure when I will do that...maybe early mornings or weekends when there isn't a million other things going on 

I am planning on my first tri June 29th, my second July 13th and then a third Sept 6th.  I did my first brick today (bike to run) and although the run felt strange at first, overall it went ok.    I am open to any and all info you can share.   I am one that usually learns the hard way...ao anything you can share I would greatly appreciate.  Oh, and I am doing this alone.  My running friends think I am crazy........so no one is interested in joining this fun yet.  Surprised

Edited by Havin'Fun 2008-04-27 6:10 PM
2008-04-27 6:41 PM
in reply to: #1364948

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
jojo1982 - 2008-04-27 5:55 PM

I'd like to join if I can. Completed one olympic tri 2 years ago. Signed up for a sprint tri this August. I need to learn how to swim.

Welcome!  Is your tri this summer going to be in open water or in a pool? 

2008-04-27 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1365080

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Havin'Fun - 2008-04-27 7:09 PM

Hi Jen,

I'd like to join your group. I am very new to tri's - here's my story (warning I don't know how to tell a short story) :

I was a swimmer - beginning at age 6 and swam straight through college. (I hated to run as part of training for swimming). After college did the aerobic classes thing. Then got lazy and did nothing for a while. Then got into running....and really enjoyed it. Got married (my husband was a runner) and we had three kids (they are now 7, 5, 4) and a dog. Have been running again, doing races here and there. I want to add something to the mix and thought the tri would be fun. Hit the pool again, and it felt - ok. Am getting a road bike in another week.

My family is very supportive of my activities. However, I must admit that my stuff comes in right after the dog (my fault, I have prioritized it that way). I run before the sun rises - the kids and husband are asleep. I swim a couple days a week when the younger two are in pre-school and there is nothing else I have to do. I am just getting into biking, so I am not sure when I will do that...maybe early mornings or weekends when there isn't a million other things going on

I am planning on my first tri June 29th, my second July 13th and then a third Sept 6th. I did my first brick today (bike to run) and although the run felt strange at first, overall it went ok. I am open to any and all info you can share. I am one that usually learns the hard way...ao anything you can share I would greatly appreciate. Oh, and I am doing this alone. My running friends think I am crazy........so no one is interested in joining this fun yet. Surprised

Welcome!!

I started off as a swimmer, too.  It's hard to switch to the running mentality from that perspective.  I have to work on not holding my breath when I run.

Your running friends might come around - get them to do a relay and they might change their mind and want to do it all themselves.   

2008-04-27 7:43 PM

New user

Hi Jen, I'd like to join your group if there is still room.  I'm 26 and signed up to do my first tri sprint mid-August.  I was on swim teams through high school, but I haven't done much structured working out since.  I've jogged on and off since then and try to stay active with hiking.  I've just started "training" (swimming and running) within the last few weeks, and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track.  I plan to pick up with biking soon-- still working on getting a bike ready to go.   I have a ton of questions, so I'm really excited about this mentor program!

2008-04-28 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1365144

Open water. Lake Michigan.
2008-04-28 11:34 AM

User image

New user

Bothell, Wa
Ok this seems like the right group for me

My Story: I'm a former competitive swimmer who after a 10 year layoff got back into Masters swimming a year or so ago and decided this was the year to try an Olympic Triathlon. The biggest fear I have is the running. Even playing soccer and doing crew in high school the thing I dreaded most was running any kind of distance. I'm a fish, not a land lover.

Biking is not so bad as I just bought a road bike this weekend and can do a 20-30 mile ride ok (not super fast...but can hold 17-18m/hr).

Family: Married with 3 kids (5, 3, 9mo) so all of my training is early mornings.

My goal is to do an Olympic distance triathlon in July and then a 3 mile open water swim the next weekend. Depending on how the first triathlon goes, I may sign up for some others later in the summer.

Number 1 question, why can't we just swim, bike and then call it good? Anyway let me know if I can be with the rest of the swimmers looking to broaden the horizons.
2008-04-28 1:49 PM

New user
Bay Area, CA

If there is still room I'd like to join up!

A bit about me: Christina

I swam and played tennis in high-school. I love to swim, can do it all day long. In college I played water polo 1st year kind of an enforcer? Second and third year I was the goalie. Pre season third year I got ridiculously injured but played the season anyways. Fourth year couldn't play, but luckily they got a much better goalie. But now I am fighting a chronic problem, but exercise seems to be helping a lot.

I like to bike, still figuring out bike maintenance, and gears and all of that. But I have a stationary I can do workouts on.  I started jog/walking and building up my jog times.

I am currently overweight and am using this training to leave some pounds on the side of the road.  And I want to at least complete one sprint tri before the season ends, but as of now haven't signed up. To be honest I'm a little scared. 

I am currently an intern trying to break into a rough field. Luckily just got offered a job, but I have to pass all sorts of backgrounds and other tests. And if I get the job then off to 20 hours shifts for me. But its a good thing. Just need to focus on fitting things in where I can.Laughing

2008-04-29 1:34 PM

Hi Jen,

I am working toward my first triathlon on May 17th with a goal of making it to the finish. (Although I'd prefer not to be last either!)  I've been running for several years and I did the City of Oaks Half Marathon here in Raleigh last fall. I just started biking about a month or two ago and I did a sprint duathlon in early April as a spur of the moment day before entry. I had a pretty slow but strong finish. I have been swimming for about 4 weeks now. It was definitely hard to get back into that but I've been forcing myself to swim the race distance or further each time and it gets easier each time I go. As a child I took tons of swimming lessons and also grew up swimming in a large lake so I am very comfortable in the water. As far as training programs go I've been training loosely using the race distances as a guide of how much to do. I probably get about 4-5 days a week in of either swim bike or run depending on the week and how much life gets in the way. My goal is to complete the following four events this summer:

Nelson Bay Sprint Triathlon 5/17/08 http://fsseries.com/triathlons_nelson_bays.php

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon 6/29/08

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=883

Lake Logan Triathlon 8/02/08

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=902

Pinehurst Triathlon 10/04/08

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=890

Since my first event is coming up quickly would you recommend sticking to my loose training plan for now and then starting something more rigid to improve my fitness for the next event at the end of June? Thanks for any help you can provide!

2008-04-29 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1365263

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

clkcurlyq - 2008-04-27 8:43 PM Hi Jen, I'd like to join your group if there is still room. I'm 26 and signed up to do my first tri sprint mid-August. I was on swim teams through high school, but I haven't done much structured working out since. I've jogged on and off since then and try to stay active with hiking. I've just started "training" (swimming and running) within the last few weeks, and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. I plan to pick up with biking soon-- still working on getting a bike ready to go. I have a ton of questions, so I'm really excited about this mentor program!

Hi Christina!  There's definitely still room. 

If you're not sure about what kinds of things to do for training, check out some of the training plans available on the site.  You could start following the run and swim parts now and then jump in with the bike when you get one.  Let me know if you need help finding them or picking one out.

2008-04-29 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1366523

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

gkami - 2008-04-28 12:34 PM Ok this seems like the right group for me My Story: I'm a former competitive swimmer who after a 10 year layoff got back into Masters swimming a year or so ago and decided this was the year to try an Olympic Triathlon. The biggest fear I have is the running. Even playing soccer and doing crew in high school the thing I dreaded most was running any kind of distance. I'm a fish, not a land lover. Biking is not so bad as I just bought a road bike this weekend and can do a 20-30 mile ride ok (not super fast...but can hold 17-18m/hr). Family: Married with 3 kids (5, 3, 9mo) so all of my training is early mornings. My goal is to do an Olympic distance triathlon in July and then a 3 mile open water swim the next weekend. Depending on how the first triathlon goes, I may sign up for some others later in the summer. Number 1 question, why can't we just swim, bike and then call it good? Anyway let me know if I can be with the rest of the swimmers looking to broaden the horizons.

Welcome to the group!  There are a few races that are called "aquabike" so they are just swimming and running.  Not so common, but I know of a few.

I got started running using the "Couch to 5k" plan available here.  It starts off with a mix of running and walking and then gradually builds your running time.  If you follow it, it really works!  I couldn't run at all before that and after about 9 months of steady training, I ran my first half-marathon.  I really believe that if I can learn to run (and even like running!!) anyone can.   

2008-04-29 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1367051

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Pepperee - 2008-04-28 2:49 PM

If there is still room I'd like to join up!

A bit about me: Christina

I swam and played tennis in high-school. I love to swim, can do it all day long. In college I played water polo 1st year kind of an enforcer? Second and third year I was the goalie. Pre season third year I got ridiculously injured but played the season anyways. Fourth year couldn't play, but luckily they got a much better goalie. But now I am fighting a chronic problem, but exercise seems to be helping a lot.

I like to bike, still figuring out bike maintenance, and gears and all of that. But I have a stationary I can do workouts on. I started jog/walking and building up my jog times.

I am currently overweight and am using this training to leave some pounds on the side of the road. And I want to at least complete one sprint tri before the season ends, but as of now haven't signed up. To be honest I'm a little scared.

I am currently an intern trying to break into a rough field. Luckily just got offered a job, but I have to pass all sorts of backgrounds and other tests. And if I get the job then off to 20 hours shifts for me. But its a good thing. Just need to focus on fitting things in where I can.Laughing

Definitely still room to join up. 

Signing up for the first tri is really the scariest part.  It makes it seem so final.  But, it also gives you lots of motivation.  

20 hour shifts sound crazy!  I have days when I work about 12, but yours are much more intense! 

2008-04-29 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1369857

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
luckeeesmom - 2008-04-29 2:34 PM

Hi Jen,

I am working toward my first triathlon on May 17th with a goal of making it to the finish. (Although I'd prefer not to be last either!) I've been running for several years and I did the City of Oaks Half Marathon here in Raleigh last fall. I just started biking about a month or two ago and I did a sprint duathlon in early April as a spur of the moment day before entry. I had a pretty slow but strong finish. I have been swimming for about 4 weeks now. It was definitely hard to get back into that but I've been forcing myself to swim the race distance or further each time and it gets easier each time I go. As a child I took tons of swimming lessons and also grew up swimming in a large lake so I am very comfortable in the water. As far as training programs go I've been training loosely using the race distances as a guide of how much to do. I probably get about 4-5 days a week in of either swim bike or run depending on the week and how much life gets in the way. My goal is to complete the following four events this summer:

Nelson Bay Sprint Triathlon 5/17/08 http://fsseries.com/triathlons_nelson_bays.php

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon 6/29/08

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=883

Lake Logan Triathlon 8/02/08

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=902

Pinehurst Triathlon 10/04/08

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=890

Since my first event is coming up quickly would you recommend sticking to my loose training plan for now and then starting something more rigid to improve my fitness for the next event at the end of June? Thanks for any help you can provide!

I think just finishing is a fine goal for your first tri!  You're so close to that one that it might be hard to get a lot of benefit from a training plan.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to start now, though.  I like that it has a more structured workout plan and gives you ideas of where you should be.  Sometimes I feel like I don't work as hard when I don't have a training plan.

If you want help finding one, please let me know.   

2008-04-29 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1366339

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

jojo1982 - 2008-04-28 11:48 AM Open water. Lake Michigan.

That's going to be a cold race!  I grew up in Milwaukee and it always seemed like Lake Michigan never got warm.  Do you have a wetsuit?  If not, you might be able to rent one for the race. 

2008-04-29 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1370156

User image

New user

Bothell, Wa
Thanks for the encouragement. The biggest hurdle right now for running is my feet go numb after about 10 minutes. I've read some articles and am trying some different stretches to see if that can correct it.

Either way, the thing I'm trying to focus on is consistently getting out there and training.

I'll look into the aquabike type event if I can't get my love of running to develop

2008-04-30 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1370363

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Also make sure your shoes aren't tied too tight.  Sounds silly, but that's what was happening to me when I first started. 
2008-05-02 9:40 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Artemis's Mentor Group - FULL!

So, anyone have any plans for the weekend?

I'm doing a group ride tomorrow (about 40 miles I think) and a long run on Sunday.  Also going to go to an art fair on Sunday afternoon. 

2008-05-02 12:15 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Lindsay (luckeesmom) asked about training plans for sprint tris.

If you go here , you can get a list of the training plans for that level.  You'll have to print them out unless you want to pay to become a member of the site.  There are a few that are run focused, so you'll have 2 swim workouts, 2 bike workouts, and 3 run workouts.  I usually follow the run focused plans because I need the most help in that area.

I think one of the biggest helps to me before my first tri was to do one or two "bricks".  You bike for awhile then get off and run right after.  I was surprised how much more tired my legs were!  But, it is really helpful come race day. 

2008-05-02 12:23 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

A few more things you might find helpful:

*Everyone with an account for BeginnerTriathlete (BT) has a training log.  You can get to yours by clicking the icon at the top of the screen.  It's helpful to log what you're doing so you can see how much progress you are making.  It also gives people a chance to comment on your training and offer suggestions (called inspires).

*If you're interested, there are a few places that have challenges.  The weight loss forum has some longer term ones.  Challenge me has monthly challenges to meet training goals that you set for yourself.  People are put onto teams (this month by area of the country).  They are a great way to get to know more people and get some training motivation. 

Keep the questions coming. 

2008-05-02 3:50 PM

New user
Bay Area, CA

This weekend...full and full of food disasters! My mothers family is from Kentucky so we celebrate the Kentucky Derby like it was Christmas. My father is from Mexico (Through Texas) so we celebrate Cinco de Mayo just as fierce. And food has always seemed to be a focal point of family get togethers. I hope to not get too off track this weekend. What a big test for me, when I am still such the newb.

Planning on getting maybe one or two jogs in, and some biking. Sharks game tonight and I usually bike through the third period.

I joined a weight loss challenge, been trying to log my exercise (when I have actually done some). 

2008-05-02 3:52 PM

New user
Bay Area, CA
So I have a question... I have yet to complete my first Tri..but I am trying to schedule out things. In my area there are a couple of tri's in Sept. and at least one in Nov. that I am eyeing. What is a good amount of time to wait in between tri's. Or is it simply take it slow and everyone is different kinda thing?
2008-05-02 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1377632

User image

This weekend.......my husband and oldest son (7) are off on a camping trip so I will be shuttling the other two between soccer, parties, all their events, etc (if you refer back to my post - I am the one who's priorites fall right behind the dogs).   But I seem to feel burned out so I am ok with sort of taking the weekend off.  Not to mention I had minor outpatient surgery yesterday so swimming is totally out for the next two weeks.

However, Monday and Tuesday I am scheduled to run with a few friends and Wednesday I am getting fitted for a bike.  I am hopeful that will spark the desire to get back out there with a vengence.  Have to - my first tri is the end of June, with my second following the middle of July.

Everyone - have a great weekend!!!    

2008-05-02 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1378044

User image

I agree with a couple of bricks before a first tri.  I have not done my first tri yet, but I did my first brick last weekend...12 mile bike followed by a 5k run (my first tri distances).  The first mile of the run I felt as though I was running with a stick inserted firmly up my bottom (sorry if I offended anyone).  My husband witnessed the first mile of the run and commented on how "stiff" I looked.  Other than that I felt fine after the run.  Smile
2008-05-02 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1378082

User image

Jen,

I have a question about the swim in a tri and it sounds like quite a few folks in this group have some swimming history....so maybe others can chime in as well. 

Here goes.... I feel very comfortable in the swim and run, yet the bike racing is totally new to me.  My question:  Is there a school of thought as to how fast/hard to take out the swim when you know you have the bike/run to follow?  My thoughts are that I don't want to push too much so that I have nothing left for the bike/run, but I also don't want to hold back too much as I would be disappointed if I weren't dog tired at the end of the tri.  I hope I don't sound full of myself, it's really the opposite.....I am really clueless  Smile    

Edited by Havin'Fun 2008-05-02 5:19 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis's Mentor Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 4