General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prepping for second season - buying new bike - need advice about tri vs road bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-19 5:01 PM

User image

Nanaimo, BC
Subject: Prepping for second season - buying new bike - need advice about tri vs road bike.
Hello all you triathletes,

I recently got some money and have enough to buy a new road/tri bike. Starting into my second season of triathlon and I've got the bug for sure. Absolutely love the sport!!!

So here's my situation:
- I train by myself 2-3 out of 4 days per week.
- I live in a rather hilly area.
- Do group riding approx. once per week, but most of the people I ride with are triathlon focused.
- Do participate in about 2-3 road races per year
- Do about 4-5 triathlons per year doing the 1/2 Iron distance (my favorite!)
- The new bike will be my only bike because my wife is going to be taking over my old bike and adjusting all the settings to match her requirements.
- Do about 2 100 mile road races each year, but triathlon is my ultimate favorite.
- Don't think I'm shooting for any podium spots; at least not in the next 5 years. I would however like to get my average up to about 32-34 K/hr. My current average seems to hover between 28 and 29 on my entry level road bike.
- I have brand new C2 aero bars that I could put onto a road bike if I went that route.

I can't seem to figure out what to do. Based on my goals and the above details do any of you more experienced triathletes have any thoughts. By the way, I've read dozens of sites and forums and they just seem to confuse me more. I'm asking this here after having done a lot of homework and feel like I'm no further ahead.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Jared

2009-08-19 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2358904

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Subject: RE: Prepping for second season - buying new bike - need advice about tri vs road bike.
My 2 cents would be to get another road bike and add the clip-ons especially if you are going to continue to do road races. It would be great to have both a tri and road bike, but if it were me I'd go for a nice road bike.
2009-08-19 6:09 PM

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Prepping for second season - buying new bike - need advice about tri vs road bike.
You could something like the Cervelo S1 (or Soloist before 2009).  It has a reversible seat post to set up in a road position or a tri position.  I just got one that I set up in the tri position with clip on aero bars.  After tri season I may flip the seatpost back into road position for more group riding and a couple of centuries.

Here is a review of the bike from Bikesport Michigan...http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/CerveloS1-2009.shtml
2009-08-20 3:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Along the same lines of the Cervelo S1 is the Felt AR2, which is an Aero Road bike. They kind of thing you might see on the ITU series. http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog/road/ar-series/09-ar2.aspx
2009-08-20 5:29 PM

User image

Nanaimo, BC
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the feedback. I think I will take your advice and go with a aero dynamic style road bike. The Cervelo S1 looks really cool. The felt is out of my price range unfortunately.

Thanks again!

Jared
2009-08-20 7:11 PM

User image

Master
I would also suggest the road bike. From what I have read, it will perform better on the hills.

2009-08-20 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2361172

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario

x2 on the Cervelo S1 - I also upgraded this year, and knew that 1 bike would need to work for any road rides, triathlons, and maybe more "road oriented" tris like IM France. The S1 is a sweet ride for either tri or road.

2009-08-21 11:02 AM

User image

Nanaimo, BC
Hey guys,

Just ran into a sweet deal. Not a road bike so it's going against what I'm thinking, but the price is great. The Cervelo P2SL. I read that this compares to the S1. Any knowledge about this bike? Is it pretty much the S1 with a tri handle bar? Would I still be comfortable on this or should I just focus on getting into an S1. Would end up being about $800 difference.

Thanks again for your thoughts and pointers,

Jared
2009-08-21 2:29 PM

User image

New user

I believe that the P2SL is now the P1 (not the S1). 

From what I've read, it is a more traditional triathlon geometry than the S1, but still offers some flexibility to convert to road riding (non-TT).  The biggest problem, I imagine, with trying to convert the P1 to a road position is that you would need another set of handlebars and STI shifters (expensive).

From what I've read about the P1 and experienced with the S1, it seems that either are good options. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prepping for second season - buying new bike - need advice about tri vs road bike. Rss Feed