Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pacific Coast Highway/ Yosemite/ Tahoe? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-12 8:57 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: Pacific Coast Highway/ Yosemite/ Tahoe?

We are going to a wedding in Napa on June 1st. I'm thinking of making it into a longer trip but can't decide where I want to go. My first idea was to do the PCH from Oregon to Napa. The only problem is there is no direct flight to Portland from South Florida and DH would much prefer non-stop. We could also do Los Angeles and go north, but for some reason I've always wanted to see Oregon! Would I be able to do either of those stretches in about 3 days and not feel like we are just rushing through?

What about Tahoe or Yosemite? What is there to do there? How is the weather in late May?

We will spend at least 1 night after the wedding in San Francisco because my brother lives there, but we have spent a lot of time there so probably won't do more than 2 nights there.

Thanks for any ideas- I am procrastinating folding laundry by researching my trip!

Edited by MomX3 2012-11-12 9:00 AM

2012-11-12 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4494666

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Highway/ Yosemite/ Tahoe?

MomX3 - 2012-11-12 8:57 AM We are going to a wedding in Napa on June 1st. I'm thinking of making it into a longer trip but can't decide where I want to go. My first idea was to do the PCH from Oregon to Napa. The only problem is there is no direct flight to Portland from South Florida and DH would much prefer non-stop. We could also do Los Angelas and go north, but for some reason I've always wanted to see Oregon! Would I be able to do either of those stretches in about 3 days and not feel like we are just rushing through?What about Tahoe or Yosemite? What is there to do there? How is the weather in late May?We will spend at least 1 night after the wedding in San Francisco because my brother lives there, but we have spent a lot of time there so probably won't do more than 2 nights there.Thanks for any ideas- I am procrastinating folding laundry by researching my trip!

PCH is beautiful and there are a lot of great stops along the way.  I used to practically live at Stinson Beach (north of Frisco) when I lived in the area.  I'd highly recommend going to Yosemite and spending a couple of days there if possible.  With the spring thaw well in effect the waterfalls will be on full display.  I've been there three times and we always did a lot of trail hiking to the various falls.  There are also some great "hidden" swim holes just outside of the park that the locals can point you too that are a blast.  We did some cliff diving at one with my kids and it was our best memory of the trip.

I've driven through Tahoe a couple times and actually got married at South Lake Tahoe but never did any touristy stuff there.  So I'm not much help for that one.

2012-11-12 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

We spent some time hanging out in Sonoma, Yosimite, and SF around Vineman in 2010 (Late July/early August). 

The redwoods are amazing! 

We really liked Yosimite, but keep in mind that unless you stay in the park, it can be quite a drive.  We stayed in Sonora and it's about an hour and a half each way on some winding roads to get into the park.  We didn't pass to many hotels on the way either. 

2012-11-12 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Fly into SFO and go from there. Northern Ca. is nice everywhere! Tahoe, Yosemite, Mariposa Grove, Marin, San Francisco. I'd head west and hike Yosemite's backcountry. Look into the High Sierra camps and try to get into Vogelsang for a night if at all possible. Tons of great sights and things to do.

2012-11-12 9:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-11-12 11:03 AM

Elite
South Florida
Ok, now I'm leaning towards Yosemite. I think with our short time to travel we won't feel like we are so rushed f we stay in one place. I'm not so sure about the high Sierra camps- I'm more of a day hiker who likes to not carry too much and come back to a room with air conditioning and beer! I'm looking into the Tavana hotel now. When I decide for sure I'll be back to start a thread asking your favorite places and things to see there!

2012-11-12 12:15 PM

Not may places to stay in Yosemite.   We always stay at the Lodge when we go in winter for skiing.  Not luxurious but perfect location.  If you want luxe, the Awahnee Hotel.  There are also the Muir camps, but with the recent hantavirus outbreak and deaths, not sure what the status of those will be. 

2012-11-12 2:43 PM

Pro
Tejas
The beauty of the High Sierra camps is that they feed you and all you need to haul is clothes and water! Kind of pricey and a bit of a lottery to get a slot, but well worth it for the scenery and solitude above the valley floor.
2012-11-13 8:53 AM

Expert
Central Mass

Just a point of clarification, the PCH only exists in southern CA, north of SF, it's just CA-1 and US-101.  And from Eureka to Napa, it's kinda boring once you get south of the Redwoods, as it's all inland.  The coast of Oregon is quite nice though

However, I love Yosemite.  For the 6 years I lived in CA, I averaged 3 trips a year there (it was just a 2 hour drive from home).  Two years ago, I did go in May.  It snowed.  When I took this picture, I was halfway up Yosemite Falls, and it started snowing.  Nothing accumulated though.

If you venture out of the valley, you can hike around meadows, and see lots of stuff without crowds.  However, in May, there usually aren't too many crowds anyway, it's still kinda chilly.

Never done too much touristy stuff around Tahoe (also a 2 hour drive from my old place), Nordic skiing in the winter, hiking in the summer.  Can get VERY snowy, or not depending on the winter.  Went for a hike 4th of July weekend, 2011, and had to cut it short due to snow.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pacific Coast Highway/ Yosemite/ Tahoe? Rss Feed