Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2008-04-21 11:09 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: enginerd's group - CLOSED

NAME: enginerd / Donato

STORY: First off, I'm a big geek.  I was the unathletic, asthmatic, near-sighted geek you knew in high school.  I'm an engineer by degree and an IT Manager by profession.

Many years ago, I was an off-and-on recreational runner.  A large project at work kept me busy and I ceased excercising for more than a year.  I, not surprisingly, gained weight.  Sometime after the project had finished, I eventually became fed up with being overweight.  At a party one day, I met some folks who had done triathlons and I remembered watching Kona and IM Wisconsin on TV when I was younger; I thought that it was all so cool and impressive.

In late 2005, I rekindled my running.  In early 2006, i started swimming laps and bought a bike and started riding, things I hadn't done in over 20 years.  In that first year, I did my first sprints and worked my way up to Olys.  I also ran my first marathons and biked my first century.  It was all incredibly empowering.  

I built on this fitness in my second year and did my first half IMs, my first IM, and started running ultramarathons.  I couldn't believe I could do these things.  Now, I'm in my third year and I already have an action packed schedule and I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

FAMILY STATUS:
Married, no kids.  One 15-year old Turkish Angora cat.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  Ramping up for IM Lanzarote (May 24)!

2008 RACES:  Here's my race/event schedule so far:

3/29/08 IM Cal 70.3 - 5:25:01
4/19/08 Tierra Bella Double Metric Century - DONE!
4/26/07 Mt. Hamilton Challenge - registered
4/27/08 Big Sur Marathon - registered
5/4/08 Grizzly Peak Century - registered
5/24/08 IM Lanzarote - registered
9/7/08 IM Wisconsin - registered

I will be adding a few centuries, a marathon, and possibly a half-IM to my ramp-up to IM Wisconsin.  I hope to resume doing ultramarathons later in the season.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I lost 30+lbs. since I started working towards becoming a triathlete.  my current goal is lose the 5+ lbs. I gained during the holidays and maintain my weight and fitness level through the season.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I was a mentor during the original mentoring series last year.  I continue to stay in touch with my original mentor group.

My approach to mentoring is to primarily provide support to the group, facilitate discussion, and promote mutual support within the group.  I'm more than happy to share my experience and knowledge and provide guidance, yet still be respectful that the same things don't work for everyone.

Lastly, I've learned so much from BT in the last couple years and I'd just like to continue to give back to the community.

Edited by enginerd 2008-04-24 7:05 PM

2008-04-23 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1353607

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona
Subject: RE: enginerd's group - OPEN!!!

Donato:

I'm not entirely sure how much you need to know about me and my background so I'll give you some basics, and if you want you can ask me anything you want.

I'm 39 (ugh), married and have two kids (7 and 11).  I've been involved in triathlons off-and-on since 2005.  After some time off I'm back onto the "on" end of the cycle.  I'd like to stay there and I was thinking that getting onto a mentor group may help.

I've mostly done sprints but I do have one Oly and a Quarterman under my belt.  Athletically, I have some limitations.  If you go to my training log you'll see I'm a pretty light guy.  I have been my whole life.  It's great cuz I don't gain weight when I'm inactive, but I don't get too strong either.  I don't want to spend the money to join a gym so one specific area I'd like some suggestions in is getting stronger without the benefit of weights.  Or, actually, a more appropriate question might be what are your thoughts on strength in triathlons?

Another problem I have is open water swimming.  I'm terrified by it!  Funny thing is I grew up on the Central Coast of California and surfed non-stop until I moved away, but swimming is a totally different feeling.  So, again, this would be an area I'd ask for some help with.

I've got 3 or 4 races I've set my sights on this year and the first one is in July.

Like I said, if I've missed anything just ask.

Thanks,

Scot 

2008-04-23 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1358045

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi Scot.  First off, welcome to the group!  Thanks for the background info.  It's good to learn a bit about you.

dorkboy and enginerd.  That sounds like quite a pairing.  LOL.

Hey, I'm 39 too with a USAT age of 40, so I'm looking forward to being the young guy in the M40-44 age group rather than the old guy in the 35-39 AG.  We're pretty close to the same weight too (I'm at about 136 right now and was at a low of 129 last year).  Climbing hills is all about power to weight ratio so you have the weight side of the equation to your advantage.

I am absolutely not a gym guy either.  I can't stand working out indoors other than swimming (and would prefer an outdoor pool to an indoor one). 

I have 2 thoughts on building strength for you.  First, I've read that inactive people have their muscle cells grow in random orientation wheras those who use them actively have their muscles grow aligned with the use during the activity.  This way, when the same amount of muscle grows back, if it's aligned, you have more activity specific strength.  This probably isn't really what you are asking about though.  My second thought is that it's all about intensity.  You can easily jack up intensity not in the gym by going faster/harder (e.g. speedwork like sprints) or doing hills.

Personally, I don't focus on strength per se, but I do focus on endurance and my aerobic base quite a bit.  It all depends on your goals.  if your goal is to be as fast as you can possibly be, you'll definitely need to do increase the intensity.  So, I guess that'd be my question to you - what are your goals for your training and racing?  If it's to finish comfortably, you may not need to worry about it.  If it's to reach a certain time goal or to be as fast as you can possibly be, that might be another story.

Re: open water swimming, what specifically terrifies you? Not seeing the bottom?  Afraid something might bite or touch you? No wall to hold on to/drowning?  Waves?  Other people?  I'm not sure I have a canned answer, but I'd be interested to hear more.

Looks like you've got some good races lined up and you've got plenty of time to train for them.

2008-04-23 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Hi Donato

I like your background and approach, can I join your group?

I was in a January group and have met some great people. Looking for the next level of support and accountability.

My name is Karen, I'm a 46 yo working mom with 2 kids (15 & 5) (no typos there I swam competitively from 5yo through college and haven't done much with it since. Joined a bike club for recreational road rides in my 20's and enjoyed that but stopped. Am "athletic" so have done various things on and off, but really was pretty out of shape for a good decade (or two!).

Started playing tennis so I could feel better in general last summer and loved how it felt to start getting back into shape. A fitness challenge at work in the fall prompted me to hire a personal trainer and I knew I'd need something to keep me motivated after that (ends 4/30) so I decided to sign up for a triathlon. I've registered for 2 sprint tri's and waiting for registration on a third. Since the work challenge I've lost 10 lbs with 5 or so to go and reduced my bf by at least 4% (test was by different people so I'm not sure exactly, but down is great!).

I've been "training" since Feb, but am ready to crank it to the next level. I'm slow in everything and have just now started to tolerate running. I'm planning to start 16 week sprint program (modified a bit) and start working on pushing a bit harder to get some speed. I'm competitive, so while I signed up just to finish, now I want to actually feel like I have decent times.

I've been in a couple months of challenges and love the accountability and meeting others on BT. My races are Danskin Seattle in mid August and Kirkland Tri in mid September. Also signing up for the Hermosa Beach Tri in SoCal in October.

Looking forward to this group! BTW - I was born at the Presidio!

2008-04-23 6:16 PM

User image

Hi!
I think this might be a good group for me to join, though I am not the lightweight you guys are by any means!
While I am not new to tri's, I still feel like a beginner and could use the support of others. I also have some experience so can hopefully be support for others!
I am not real athletic, but have a hard time maintaining a decent weight, so I need to keep moving. I starting running in 2003 and lost 60 lbs, gained alot of it back, and now am about 30 lbs over where I should be. I would like to loose at least 10 more before IM CdA. In 2005 my knees were killing me after my 1/2 marathon, so I decided to change it up and do a tri. Bought a bike in Feb and ran my first sprint in April. I liked it, but had alot of problems on the bike.
I still do, up until last week I thought it was my weakest link! Some how the tri-bug bit me and I needed to go bigger so here I am signed up for IM CdA in a couple months! Honestly I still feel like I don't have it all together, but I am getting there.
In training for IM I decided to do a HIM locally. This was last Sat and it did nothing for my confidence! I panicked at the swim and ended up breastroking most of it. then the bike was extremely tough and I was very slow, but finished it! I only had 1 1/2 hrs left befor the course closed so they wouldn't let my start the run which was tough to handle. I have heard this was an extrememly tough HIM, so I shouldn't feel too bad. Now I know I need to get in a couple OW swims or the same thing could happen at Cda.
I am a 38 year old mother of two, Aspen 8, Aaron 7 with a wonderfully supportive husband Dan. I am an RN currently working on an ambulance in Critical Care Transport. I am working on my Masters which should be done in the next few weeks.

I think I have rambled enough for now! Looking foward to getting to know everyone!
Tanya
2008-04-23 6:38 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Donato,

I'd like to join your group, too! I'll fill in my bio later this evening.

Thanks,
Jim

2008-04-23 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1358211

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi Karen, welcome to the group!!

Sounds like you have a similar story to many of us...were more active in the past and looking to get more active again.  Glad you've got some races lined up which always work as great motivation and to force you to add structure to your training.  The weight loss is always a great plus, isn't it?

We all started out slow and it's all about making improvements, something we can do at any level.

Hey, we're all here to give you support and keep you accountable too

How wild to have been born at the Presidio.  Very cool!

2008-04-23 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1358220

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi Tanya.  Welcome to the group!

Yes, I expect everyone to bring their experiences and support to the group so thanks in advance for helping out!

Wow, losing all that weight (still 30 less than you were!) is awesome!  Athletic is as athletic does...you've done triathlons which is more than most ever even think about, so be proud.

You've got a big race ahead of you. I hope to do that one some year, so I hope I can enjoy it vicariously through you this year.  We all have to take it one day at a time.  I'll have to read up on your race report from your half.

Geez, getting your master's sounds like an endurance activity in and of itself. Kudos!

2008-04-23 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1358254

User image

Master
San Francisco

LJR - 2008-04-23 4:38 PM Hi Donato, I'd like to join your group, too! I'll fill in my bio later this evening. Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim.  Welcome to the group.  Looking forward to your bio.  Cool that I'll be able to meet you in person!

2008-04-23 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Is your group closed yet? I would love to join because:

- I work at an engineering firm (no, I am not an engineer but I am a nerd)
- Like Karen, I am a 46 y.o. gal
- You have a cat - I have two cats, a dog and a teenager

More bio details later, got to feed the crew.

Anne
2008-04-23 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1358525

User image

Master
San Francisco

abake - 2008-04-23 7:11 PM Is your group closed yet? I would love to join because: - I work at an engineering firm (no, I am not an engineer but I am a nerd) - Like Karen, I am a 46 y.o. gal - You have a cat - I have two cats, a dog and a teenager More bio details later, got to feed the crew. Anne

Hi Anne.  Welcome to the group!

Sounds like you have quite a group of your own at home.  Looking forward to your bio!

2008-04-23 11:10 PM

User image

Expert
Okay, my bio:

I'm a 45 year old Vermonter, transplanted to SF after many years in California, Michigan, Montana, and Nevada. I was an athlete in High School (baseball, basketball, soccer) and also started skiing at the age of 4 (how could I not growing up in ski resort town). My girlfriend and I love to spend time in the mountains, backpacking and telemark skiing. No children, but step-parent to 2 cats. We live in the Presidio, which is the perfect spot for training.

I work for a small engineering firm as a database analyst (oh no, another darn geek!). Prior to the computer field, I made a living doing many different things - group home manager, assistant golf pro (another life), cross country ski manager, hotel manager - and will probably never be stationary in my career.

I'm returning to endurance sports after an 18 year hiatus, and really enjoy the training. I've run 1 marathon (1990) and numerous shorter distance races. You could say I'm fairly competitive, but mostly I just like to challenge myself and meet new people... I really like to have fun!! Weight loss and lowering my blood pressure were the main reasons for jumping back in to training, and it's been extremely successful to this point. Since January 1, my weight is down 22 lbs. and my blood pressure has decreased from 92/146 to 74/118.

My goals are to learn more about triathlon training, and to get back into marathon training. I'd like to qualify for Boston and believe it is a reasonable goal. It will also be cool to learn from Donato, who in my opinion has all the qualities I respect in a mentor. He has much to share, that's for sure!

I'm looking forward to being part of the group and learning from all of you, too! Don't hesitate to ask me anything.

Cheers,
Jim

2008-04-23 11:32 PM
in reply to: #1358072

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona

Donato:

Thanks for the reply and welcome!

First off, I'm a demon on the hills.  When I'm in shape I can drop just about anyone on a climb, but get me on a false flat and I just don't have the big engine to lead a group.  I'm usually hanging on someone's wheel.

Which leads me to my thoughts about strength.  I've always felt pretty comfortable in my races in the past.  I rarely go red, but I'm pretty sure that's in part due to my paranoia of running out of gas at some point in the race.  But I also wonder if it's in part due to strength.  Maybe I'm not sure of what I mean by "strength".  When I train I usually am concerned with my aerobic abilities and rarely my anaerobic.  Is that what I should be more concerned with if I want to be faster?  In a round-about way I guess my answer to your question is yes, I'd like to get faster.

As for the open water swimming it's a combination of not being able to see in the water (a claustrophobic feeling comes over me), getting kicked (which happened to me in the Oly I did) and just a feeling of being very small in a big body of water.  I'm not sure anyone can really help me with this, but I am curious if these are common fears and if there are any tips anyone can offer.

Ok, I guess that's it for now.  It looks like we've got a great group here and I think we'll all learn from and motivate one another.

Scot 

2008-04-24 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Hi. My name is Amy and I am intresed in joining your group. I was in a January mentor group and really enjoyed all the inspiration and advice, and would like to continue being in a mentor group.
I have had a great first season of triathlons and am very addicted now. I did a super sprint triathlon as my frist triathlon and have done 2 sprint triathlons since then. I am also on a year round club swim team and my high school swim team. (I am 16) I would say swimming is my strongest sport and biking is my weakest. I am very intrested in doing more triathlons this season. I even have a sprint distance triathlon planned for May 4.
This year I would like to do an olympic distance triathlon, and maybe even run a half marathon. I would like to do an olympic distance triathlon this summer. I feel almost ready for the goal. I can do the swimming and running but need to work on the bicycling. I bike about 8MPH and can only do that for about 2 hours max, so not very far!
Your background of doing ultramarathons, ironmans, etc. is very inspiring to me. I would love to be able to do those distances someday.

Thanks for the encouragement!
2008-04-24 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1358644

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi Jim, sounds like you've had quite a variety of experience (work, athletic, living).  Not bad for a geek

Sounds like you've been doing a great job with your fitness gains already this year.  Congrats!

A BQ (like an IM or any endurance event) is definitely in your reach if you put in the work for the training, etc.  You smoked Presidio 10.  SF Marathon is not a good course, though, for BQing with all the hills (I may run this one too for my ramp up to IM WI).  You may want to consider CIM in December which is considered a fast course.

2008-04-24 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1358782

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi Amy.  Welcome to the group!

Sounds like you're off to a great start already in your tri and endurance career.

Great to have a swimmer here.  Perhaps you would have some advice for us all.  You've got some great long term goals listed for yourself (they sound a lot like what my goals were and are).  I think for all of us, it's hard to imagine doing some of the bigger events, but if you put the work into your training, you can achieve it all.

Biking, as you know is more than half of any tri, so that becomes more a factor as you go longer or faster.

I hope your youth will be infectious and help rejuvenate us old farts  

2008-04-24 9:55 AM

User image

Good morning!
Finally was able to get my Rage HIM race report posted yesterday. They never posted times for those who DNF, so I am not sure of my true times for what I did do. I also would have liked to see how many others DNF, I know there were several. Might help to boost my confidence!

I was wondering if we could talk about nutrition during the long days for a bit. I am still trying different options to find out what works best and knowing what others do gives me ideas. Working on my IM nutrition stategy!
I have discovered cliff bars just sit hard in my stomoch. Gels work good, but I struggle with bike handling skills so I can't iopen them on the bike! For the HIM I broke up some fig newtons and put them with a trailmeis and ate that on the bike. Seemed to work out good. I am also struggling with the right drink. I have had accelerade at races and don't like the taste. I have tried cytomax and noon and don't care for the taste either. Gaterade endurance seems to be the only one so for I like the taste of and sits well. I have heard so much negative about drinking gatorade, that I have been hoping to find other options to try.
So my question is what does everyone use for nutrition? Any tricks or tips for long distances?

Tanya
2008-04-24 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Hi Tanya,

Since gels work for you, I'd suggest getting a squeeze bottle and fill it with your favorite gel. They sell gel specific refillable squeeze bottles pretty much anywhere you can find large bottles of gel (I like Hammer gel). It's so much easier than dealing with opening individual packets.

Cheers.

2008-04-24 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1358654

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi Scot, yes, strength on the bike will show itself in speed on the flats and into the wind.  Strength is primarily built anaerobically (e.g. weight lifting, hill repeats) through high intensity.  Sounds like you've got the aerobic/endurance engine already.  Do you do any kind of hill repeats or sprints?  (caveat: I don't do any of this myself, but this is my understanding from what I've read)  Short, high intensity training should help increase your LT and allow you to run aerobically at a higher level (i.e. faster).  This is all the same philosophy for the run as well as the swim (no surprise there!).

Re: open water swimming, how much OWS have you done?  Are you comfortable training in OW or is it just in race conditions?  If you're not comfortable in race conditions, I'd think it'd be the case of building up your comfort level with that first.  If it's only in race conditions, part of it might be placing yourself in the pack (back and outside) to minimize the incidental contact.  Anyone else have advice for Scot?

2008-04-24 11:55 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi Tanya.  I think Jim's advice is great.  If gels work for you, go with that.

Some additional thoughts - some people have GI distress because they have too many carbs and not enough liquids in their stomach.  When this happens, your stomach can't process all those carbs and so it all just sits there.  if you are taking your calories from solid food and gels, you'll likely want to consume water rather than sports drink.  So, what i do is I alternate at aid stations.  At one, I'll get sports drink and consume that.  At the next, I'll get water and have food with it.

2008-04-24 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Hi Donato!  Can I join your group? 

I'm Pattie and this is my third year doing tris.  I started kind of slow (heck, I'm still slow), and I'm doing my first Oly in June. 

Four years ago I was about 35 pounds heavier and in terrible shape.  I kidded myself that since I rode horses (usually 6 days a week) and did barn work, that I was fairly fit.  That was bull.  I started running and somehow found tris.  I grew up at the beach and learned to swim in the ocean, so the OWS thing never bothered me much.  I had to learn to love the bike and some days that's still a challenge. 

Other random stuff...  I'm married with no kids.  Almost two years ago we moved to MN and bought our dream farm.  Now our 3 horses are living at home with us and it's wonderful.  We also have 3 cats and a crazy labradog.  Before tris I showed horses and competed a lot during the summer.  There are a lot of parallels between the two sports.

I'm a HS English teacher and this is my 19th year in the classroom.  This year I got my husband interested in tris and he is doing his first in June.  Our tri-costs just doubled!  2 entry fees, 2 wetsuits, 2 bikes, etc.  At least he's supportive. 

Guess that's about it.  I'm looking forward to meeting some new people!

Pattie

2008-04-24 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1359766

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi Pattie.  Welcome to the group!

Sounds like you've been doing a great job with your fitness and tris are an awesome way to maintain and build that.  Since you're comfortable with OWS, maybe you have some advice for Scot.

My wife's parents are in Wisconsin (my wife's out visiting right now even), so just a stone's throw from you.

Very cool that your husband is doing tris also and you can do them together.  I do all my long bike rides (which is the most time consuming thing) with my wife and it helps that we're able to spend that time together rather than apart.  But, yeah, this sport can get expensive with all the gear, race fees, travel costs, etc.

2008-04-24 3:08 PM

User image

Hey Donato,

My name is Mace and I would like to join your group. I am trying to get back into training, and a little motivation would be nice.
This is my 3rd year doing tris, with some on and off training. I plan on doing a half ironman in september with a few sprints thrown in. 09 is the year of the FULL, but first i have to become more regular with my training.

Here's a run down about myself. I work as a firefighter and on duty for 24 hours at a time. I'm 32y/o and have been married for 4 years and have a wonder 2 y/o girl.

thanks,
mace
2008-04-24 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
OK, things are winding down at work so I have time to jump on BT.

First off, what an impressive bunch! I'm almost embarassed to post my bio, but here goes:

46 y.o., work as graphic tech at an engineering company

I'm a former chain smoker who took up running five years ago because I needed a new addiction. I'm not fast. I'm more of a middle-aged recreational jogger. On a good day I can hit a 9-something pace but can't sustain it, so mostly I cruise along at 11-11:30 mm pace. I've done 6 half marathons and a bunch of 5ks and 10ks. I just race to finish and enjoy the social aspect. Heavily involved in our local running club, I serve as the newsletter editor/layout artist. It's a pretty big club with right around 1,200 members.

Last year a tibial stress fracture knocked me out of commission from March to June. Pool running got old really fast, and since I didn't know how to swim, I turned to my trusty old bike to keep the cardio going. I had forgotten how much I enjoy biking!

Took some swimming lessons this year as part of a Triathlon 101 class at the local YMCA and am making baby step progress in that area. I completed a mini triathlon last weekend, just for the experience, and thoroughly enjoyed.

Goals: Right now I'm signed up for the Stoneman Sprint in July. I have not done any open water swimming, so that's a bit intimidating. My goals are simple: find a good training program and STICK TO IT. I need the accountability of a group to make this happen, so hopefully signing on with Enginerd's group will keep me on the straight and narrow.

It would also be nice to improve my running pace. I have a touch of exercise-induced asthma which makes things challenging sometimes.

I'm also hoping to drop a few pounds in the process. With 50 on the horizon, it seems my metabolism is changing and it's pretty easy to pack those pounds on.

Anne
2008-04-24 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
WOW - love this group already. ALOT of info.

The strength training info is really great. I've dropped off of the strength activity just to get time in on the 3 sports. Looks like while I'm planning my training out for the next 16 weeks I need to incorporate this if I want to increase my speed.

Also the nutrition, although it's not an issue for my races, except in the morning, I have struggled with it regarding balance/ workouts/ timing/ stomach issues.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17