Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Niagara Tri - Different Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-26 12:49 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: Niagara Tri - Different Question

I still don't know if I should rent a wet suit to do a 400m swim... ?

It seems like a lot of work and effort for 10 minutes or so? But I am a chicken when it comes to cold water and am thinking it might be good practice to see how it works (I'm just focusing on the experience and not my times etc) since the one I'm doing in August is mandatory wet suit.  Any thoughts?

And then part two of this would be - if I don't wear a wet suit I would just swim in the clothes I was planning on biking/running in - a pair of tight shorts (not tri shorts) and a sleeveless running top. Won't the top be too wet and clingy when you get out and have to ride the bike? It's sort of a loose fitting top. Could be a pain in the butt if I'm dripping water all over the place. So now I'm wondering if I should find a top more form fitting to wear for the swim portion - one that hopefully will dry quickly while riding my bike...? 

Any suggestions / tips would be appreciated! THANKS

2008-06-26 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1492247

Regular
Subject: RE: Niagara Tri - Different Question
If your race in August is mandatory for a wetsuit then I would most definitely get out in the lake in it, even for 400m. It is totally different swimming in the lake from a pool and again different from swimming with and without a wetsuit. The more practice the better I think. Comfort is key.

As for the attire........I wear a one piece tri suit under my wetsuit which is lightweight material and dries quickly. I have swam in it without the wetsuit too. Dont have to worry about changing while in transition to the bike or run portion. If no tri suit, a tighter fitting workout top and short, made of breathable lightweight material will work fine. Cotton not good or anything that gets heavy when it gets wet. It will drag you down and be uncomfortable.

Hope this helps and all the best through this tri season!

2008-06-26 7:02 PM

I say wear the wet suit. I did that race last year and even though it was a hot July day, the water was numbingly cold!
2008-06-26 8:21 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Thanks so much!  I'll definitely wear the wetsuit and get a better top to race in.  Thanks again for your input - *greatly* appreciated!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Niagara Tri - Different Question Rss Feed