General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Triathlon: The Local Connection! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-18 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
Subject: Olympic Triathlon: The Local Connection!
Did anyone notice Jim Donaldson of Elite Endeavors plainly visible in several shots of the crowd at the Ming Tomb Reservoir during the men's triathlon?

Jim was there with his wife, Joyce Donaldson, the only U.S. based I.T.U. Official who was working there as an official at the Olympic Games.

I phoned Jim when I saw him in the stands on NBC and left him a message to wave to all of us back home here....

Former Ann Arbor native Dave Koesel of Felt Bicycles is one of the fellows responsible for the bike ridden to Gold by the German Olympic Champion, Jan Frodeno. He is the Road BRand Manager for Felt Bicycles and handles these athlete sponsorships. Both Triathlon Gold Medals were won on bikes from Dave Koesel at Felt! Men's Gold for Frodeno and Women's Gold for Snowsill!

2008-08-19 4:15 AM
in reply to: #1612568

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: RE: Olympic Triathlon: The Local Connection!
Yet the woman's TT gold was won on a cervelo....
2008-08-19 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1612711

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
As was the Men's Individual Time Trial, by Fabian Cencellara, Time Trial World Champion and now Olympic Gold Medalist.

Cervelo swept the road timed cycling events with American Kristen Armstrong winning the Women's Individual Time Trial and Cancellara for the men.

Felt swept the Triathlon events for Gold medals, with a win in both the Men's and Women's Triathlon.

Simon Whitfield was on a new Cervelo S3 for the Silver Medal in the Men's Triathlon behind Felt sponsored triathlete Jan Frodeno.

Anyway.....

I saw my buddy Jim from Toledo on TV in the Olympics and it was cool....

2008-08-19 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1613887

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI

Spoiler!  Sealed

But thanks for the heads up on Jim.  I'll keep my eyes out for him.

2008-08-19 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Cool.

I rolled into my kid's orthodontist's office last Thursday, and everyone in the place has on a 'PVK in 2008' shirt. Little did I know that Peter Vanderkaay is from Rochester, and that most of the technicians were swimmers, and several train regularly in Ann Arbor with him.

They tipped me off that Peter's little brother, Alex, swam with the olympic team at U-M, and had times comparable to the folks that made the team.   Watch out, 2012.  

2008-08-19 9:37 PM

User image

Marysville, Michigan
Well jeez, Tom...now you've got me wondering. Do I buy a Felt...or a Cervelo?
(yeah, I know...go with what fits me the best!)

'Stayed up 'til midnight last night watching the mens Tri, on that Canadian channel 99. Just when I ruled out Simon Whittfield he kicked in with that copyrighted sprint of his and darn near pulled it off!

That was way cool, but the German. Wow! His sprint to the finish was killer. I couldn't sprint that fast on a fresh set of legs, let alone at the end of all 3 disciplines!

P.S.
I will find myself in your shop soon. There's something there calling my name...and it's carbon!

2008-08-19 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1615176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
You make a good point... The German did actually arrive with (relatively) fresh legs. He was virtually anonymous during the entire race. Smart man.

Simon was just fantastic. You see... he had a moment there before the 180 turn on the matting, he actually lost contact. Then he pulled off his visor and just got back on. I was pounding my desk.... "Simon! Simon!!"

In the end that was a finish we'll remember for a long, long time...

And now, we'll remember the name of Jan Frodeno.... Men's Olympic Triathlon Gold Medalist!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Triathlon: The Local Connection! Rss Feed