General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to riding a Tri bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-23 7:05 PM

College Station
Subject: New to riding a Tri bike.

I just got a Tri bike, I am wondering if anyone can give pointers and thoughts ect. How long does it take to get the fit down. I did my fitting last week but when I came home with the bike, and tried it on open road, it wasn't right, adjusted the seat.  Thats much better but I now have PAIN in my right elbow and tricep (right handed so would think it was stronger?), wrists seem scrunched or cocked and elbows seem to close to my body. VERY discouraging, I was all pumped up to enjoy my new ride. I talked to the guy that did the fitting and am going back in for more adjustments. I do try to stick it out cause I know that riding and time is the best way to get comfortable and fast. Like I said Brand newbie and not sure what to think is common and what can be fixed with adjustments.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

2008-08-23 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1623481

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: New to riding a Tri bike.

Have you been riding a long while? Did you have a bike fit with old bike? How different is your new set up?

The answers to the above questions I think make a big difference on how it will feel and how long the adjustment will take. 

For me adjusting to my tri bike took a very short adjustment time. My bike fit guy had fit my road bike with aerobars on it and then adjusted my tri bike with similar fit but instead of road fit to a tri fit.

2008-08-23 7:53 PM

College Station

I am 100% new. Never road a road bike before, except when I started shopping for a new bike and compared the roads to the tri's and for me there was no contest to which I wanted to ride.

The bike I have previously road was a mountain bike with road tires. Zero comparison. Thats why I came here. Its all new to me. The pain in my elbow (while riding) which turns into my tricep (after ride) is bad enough that after 4 miles I can't ride anymore and I feel my tricep the rest of the day!

2008-08-23 7:56 PM

User image

Champion
MA

A small difference in fit can make a huge difference in comfort.

Get back to bike fit guy soon so he/she can help fix things so you are comfortable.

When I first rode riding a road bike 10 miles was hard as I wasn't used to riding. New to the sport and riding a different kind of bike can take an adjustment time with soreness not pain. Pain means something isn't right and needs to be adjusted.

How did he do your bike fit?

2008-08-23 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

I bought my tri bike used and did the fit myself using The Triathlete Training Bible. I did it step by step with my bike on a trainer and repeated some steps several times. It already had spacers, so its not at all aggressive, but it feels good.

Maybe you could suggest to the fitter that you're willing to trade some aero for comfort starting out. I still plan to get a real fitting and get more aero next season.

2008-08-23 9:21 PM

Expert
Southeast
Without a picture it's hard to say, and even then it would be more or less guessing, but it sounds like perhaps the fit is too aggressive given your experience.

2008-08-23 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
Excellent questions and, as is sometimes the case, there aren't clear cut, black/white answers.

Your first question, "How long does it take to get the fit down?" Speaks to two issues:

1. Getting the optimal set of adjustments on the bike itself.
2. Getting accustomed to riding efficiently and comfortably in the triathlon posture.

Also, it's important to acknowledge that good position is a moving target and changes as your fitness changes.

Part of your inquiry deals with expectations: Specifically, the expectation that you will get on the bike and have a great ride. Some people do, and we hear about that frequently. We also hear the opposite- that the person is having a difficult time transitoning to a triathlon posture.

Realistically, I more expect it to take a season of vigorous racing and training before you are fully accustomed to the position AND the position has been optimized. That's right- an entire season.

Now, you can do this season in the off-season, which is where I prefer to do it, so you are ready to go at the beginning of the race season. This is the logic in getting your equipment in the fall so you can do your off season preparation and base miles on the new equipment (generally lower levels of exertion) and also make small adjustments as you deem necessary.

Consider the automotive racing analogy, a different sport for certain, but one also highly dependent on equipment. In most motorsports they have a testing "season" during which time new equipment is implemented, evaluated, modified and tested again before it is time to race. Again- it's a totally different world, motorsports, Formula 1, etc... but one we could take some lessons from in equipment maintenance and preparation.

Don't be discouraged if your first ride wasn't instantly faster. We tell people that, once we have confirmed their fit and position falls within basic, acceptable fit parameters and they have given us feedback that it is acceptable to them (but perhaps not optimal)- that they should ride a minimum of 600 miles before considering a re-fit. Problems surface during that 600 miles that they may work through for the better. To instantly treat the symptom by facilitation may be to compromise a better outcome achieved through adaptation on the part of the athlete.

There are no "magic bullets" in this (or really any) sport. If you want to make the most of your equipment it will take an investment in time. The good news is, the benefits do generally pay off in the form of faster bike and run splits.
2008-08-24 8:22 AM

College Station

You all are great, I appreciate your experiences and knowledge very much! I know time is most important. I do believe that my fitter made my position to aggressive for a newbie (I should have caught on when he was talking about this is what he does to fit pros). Good and bad... Even that helps when I go in I won't be fumbling for the correct words of how it feels.

Can anyone talk about the differences between what makes a bike fit more or less aggressive and the types of changes made for it.  I guess I should also fess up that I have been worried that they forced me into to small of a bike to move inventory.....They but me in on an XS QR Chickilo. I am 5'5 but have a fairly short torso. I talked to the folks at QR and they did mention that many people can ride different size bikes so that eased my worries some. I really think the only thing that freaks me out about it is the sticker size says 46! Which seems itty bitty to me. But like I said before, I am 100% new never even been on road bikes, so what do I know.

I know pics are of SOME help, so maybe I can get a few up once I figure it out...or maybe even post a video on youtube or something.... This has been my first post, I am excited about the talk we have going. 

2008-08-24 1:04 PM

Regular
South Carolina

Just to zero in on the arm pain. You do NOT have to have both aero bars the same. I fo one allow my left hand to ride with my right hand so they are not lonely. (actually, it is more comfortable that way) I tested a bike that had the left areo turned more inward to accomplish the same thing. Remember, fitting is and always will be an indivvidaul thing. Fit/ride/repeat as needed.

Also, most all new riders are not RELAXED. Relax especially your upper body.

2008-08-25 9:51 PM

College Station

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD UPDATE: Went back in for refitting. They raised the the (fork/bars?) to a MUCH more comfortable location for me! LOVEN THE RIDE !!!! It was WAY to aggressive before! It was a massive improvement!

The Bike folks were super, they had to rerun all the cables. 

Thanks for all of your inputs! 

2008-08-26 7:43 AM

Bike fitting is a process. You will probably notice things and continue to need tweaks. When it is set up corrrectly, being aero should be so comfortable that you prefer to be out there. Too many people suffer because of the HTFU nonsense. This is not the place to HTFU.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to riding a Tri bike. Rss Feed