Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-12-17 11:16 AM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: jsipos group is Closed
NAME: jsipos / Jeremy

STORY: I started running and mountain biking as a way to stay in shape after college. One day I saw an advertisement for a duathlon and figured I try it out. I loved it. After racing duathlons for a year or so, I decided to learn to swim and having been doing triathlons and duathlons since.

FAMILY STATUS: Married. My wife also does triathlons.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train quite a bit as my coach coined the term "More is More". I believe that consistency and hard work pays off in triathlon and in pretty much anything you do.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2007 I was the USAT M30-34 Long Course national champion in triathlon. 2008 was a bit of an off year for me due to a bike crash involving a dog before the season started. I had some decent races but a lingering calf injury due to the accident kept me from really accomplishing my goals. My favorite distance is the Half IM.

2009 RACES: I'm starting off the season with New Orleans 70.3 and St. Anthonys.

WEIGHTLOSS: I currently don't have weight loss goals. I find if I eat healthy and train consistently, weight gain isn't an issue for me.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have 8+ years of racing experience and would love to share my experience and knowledge with others and help others achieve their goals.

Edited by jsipos 2008-12-20 5:51 PM

2008-12-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1858810

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: jsipos group is OPEN

NAME: ATLrunr- Beth

Hello! After reading your profile I felt like mentoring would be a good fit. I especially like the quote "more is more" as my fave quote is work hard And smarter to get ahead!

STORY: I did field events and cheerleading in college where I also worked part time as a trainer in a sports performance gym. After college I started my own personal training business which was a great learning experience but short-lived. After moving and changing industries I entered a period of relative inactivity or I guess non focused fitness from 2006 to early 2008. Occasional jogging, weightlifting and yoga. Around August timeframe I started training again with a bootcamp and running eventually becoming an instructor and actually improving a lot rather quickly with running. After a few months I won my first (Very small and local) race. I figured out that I could possibly actually be decent at running (at least on a local level) I became obsessed and wanting to start doing triathlons as well. The last few months I have been training in biking and trying to swim as well as building up for my first full marathon.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for two years. Husband likes running too but not quite as obsessed.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running about 40 a week, teaching bc and trying to get in some swimming and biking

THIS YEAR'S RACES: So far the only one I have signed up for is 70.3 Augusta, and a march marathon but am planning for a lot

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have lots of motivation but want to take steps to insure that I avoid rookie mistakes etc.

2008-12-19 5:30 PM

Beginner Triathlete. Tried a short tri back in 2003, one of the last out of the water, haven't done another since. Can't swim well, basically can get back and forth in the pool but freak out in a lake. Have signed up for a HIM. Believe if you're going to do it, then you might as well just jump and go. Did the same thing with marathons. Did a couple of 5k's, then signed up for a marathon 3 days before the event, won the filly division and only missed Boston by 2 minutes. That was back in 2004. This year I did 4 marathons in 12-months with New York being my last one, which I qualified for. Also ran Boston, Tybee and Manchester. Have run 8 all together, one of which, Miami, was only 12-weeks after a spinal fusion! Started time trialing a couple of years ago, but just dabbling, no real training. Best sport is kayak racing, both down river and flatwater, with a little canoe racing and outrigger racing thrown in for variety.

Married to a man who also dabbles in running and biking, but who likes biking the most and also can't really swim.

Physically I'm "sturdy". I do not have a runners body. I do not have a bikers body. I only have "my" body and with any luck, maybe I can train and have less of it by the HIM!!!!!

2008-12-20 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
Name – Joeseal – Joel

I am looking to finally do an OLY tri in 2009. I spent all of 2008 training , trying to bring it all together. I have always been an athlete, thus I have always been training in one discipline or another. At this point, right now, I am coming off of a training cycle which lasted about 3 months. I swam 2400 yards 1.2 hours, biked 55 miles in 3 hours and ran 8 miles in 64 minutes, but not all in one shot. I was training each discipline 3 times a week. After that I took about 9 days off to recover. Now I feel pretty good and I have started training again.

My first week started with the swim. I do not feel comfortable with my swim and it seem like I am all over the place in terms of consistency. One day I feel like I can swim forever, the next day I feel like I cannot swim at all. The reason for this I feel is my technique, which is terrible. So I have started concentrating on my kick and stroke. I have been doing 400-550 yards of solid kicking with a board, but after that I feel like I am going to sink. I biked 25 miles at 19MPH pace and ran an easy 6 miles at a 9 minute mile pace. My target for an OLY is April-May, so I think I should just keep doing core, which includes bike, run, swim and weight training. But I am very uncertain as to the proper approach as I am learning.

I think you are a very experienced and enjoy helping others, which is what makes you a great mentor. You have to really like helping others in order to be a good mentor. If you still have openings, It would be a great pleasure if you could help with training through the 2009 season.

Yours Truly
Joel
2008-12-20 12:33 PM

Veteran
Las Vegas

NAME: pilotncommand172/ JC

STORY: I have been training and racing off and on for the past three seasons. I have always been active i think i starting riding my bike to school when i was in 5th grade. rode 60 miles day trips when i was 14. and was a four year member of my high school swim team. I pick up triathlon as a way of getting in shape before I went off to Air Force Basic Training. I have completed 5 sprints with the hope of completing a oly or half marathon this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Single ( Married to the United States Air Force)

CURRENT TRAINING: I just began to get back on the horse called it the new year bug or what not. this last season i only race once and the past year as been a rough one and i been using my training as a way to let out my aggression and also to reflect.

2009 RACES: So far i have just one race plan and it a supersprint coming up in a couple of weeks. I still not sure how much racing i get to do as I moving in March.

My biggest issue is trying to fit training in to my busy life of meetings and long shift work. and also factoring sleep in and i hoping i can meet a few people that can hold me accountable for when i don't feel like going to the pool after my 12 hour shift or going on a run. so hopefully we can all help each other in achieving each others goals.

2008-12-20 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Cumming, GA

NAME: Abbagej-Abigail

STORY: I grew up running off and on.  Parents did Maries.  Fell out of shape after moving to GA in 2001.  After the birth of my son in 2005, I was looking for a fitness challenge.  After six months with a personal trainer and little progress to show for it, my younger sister challenged me to try a sprint tri.  Did the Two Bridges (no longer in existence), with very little training, in August 2007 and loved it.  In 2008, competed in "My First Tri", Irongirl, Tri2remember, and Emerald Point.  Also, ran Disney, ING, and Zooma half maries.  Am seeking to "beat down" an oly this year (Chatanooga???) and possibly take on the Augusta 70.3.  Am a fanatic tennis player and love the cardio cross-training it provides.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for ten years this June.  One son and one furry (dog) daughter.  Husband is mildly interested in running and very active playing tennis.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running about 20 miles per week.  Six hours of tennis per week.  Occasional swim and spin.  Very little strength, but some.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Disney half mary next month.  Looking for full marathon this year (possibly Marine Corp in fall or Donna in February).  Committed to one OLY (Chattanooga) and one sprint (Irongirl).  Depending on OLY experience, want to do the Augusta 70.3.  I want to do fewer races this year for 1) my sanity, 2) focus on endurance (vs. speed), and 3) maintain better health (had lots of colds last season).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I LOVE to work out, especially run.  I have tons of enthousiasm (even if I can't spell it).

My Biggest Challenge:  Staying focused...I plan, plan, plan, and always seem to fall off the horse!

Edited by abbagej 2008-12-20 2:02 PM

2008-12-20 3:20 PM

Name: Bill

Story: Always avoided exercise like most people avoid the tax man. After college I “trained” off and on, mostly off. Just got running again back in September, with a great coach/mentor/friend/butt kicker. Her favorite word is “sprint.” I’ve been thinking about tris off and on for a year or two. Now with my wife, son and coach behind me it’s time to take the leap.

Family Status: Happily married to a beautiful woman who started running the same time I did (what can I say, insanity must be in the water). And a handsome young son who has accompanied us on every training run so far.

2009 Races: Hoping to complete several sprints with the goal of finishing a yet to be named Oly by the end of the season. I would like to conquer a 70.3, but that is in the future somewhere.

Weightloss: You’re kidding, right? Too many years of being a “computer potato” and several years behind the wheel of a truck left me at 307 lbs. in Jan.. At last check I was down around 275 and dropping.
2008-12-20 3:59 PM

User image

Hello Jeremy,   

I'm new to Triathlons, will be completing my very first Sprint in 2009 and began my training 5 weeks ago.  I would like to join your group and learn how to get better prepared.  Here's my profile update below:

NAME: doowgnik / Cahba 

STORY: I'm 32 years young and live in Maryland near DC.  I'm a fair weather athlete and I'm in average shape. 5'10, 198lbs relatively tone.  I did mountain biking in the past riding 30 miles a week off road from 2000-2002, but haven't biked consistently since.  I got motivated 1 year ago to get in better shape when I got engaged.  I tried, but not hard enough to get in rock hard shape before my wedding last August, but I did tone and started a much healthier routine. In September I did a 5k and felt great.  I trained for 1 month before the race and did relatively well (33 min finish).   I found that the race motivated me to hit the treadmill and gym so I signed up for a Triathlon (sprint) to motivate me to hit the gym and incorporate a full body workout routine.   I still want to bring a six pack of abs home to my wife one day soon.   I signed up for 3 TRis in 2009 although I will mostly likely only do 1 or 2.  First is on May 3, in Maryland.   

FAMILY STATUS: Married (newly wed August 2008), my wife plays tennis and works out regularly and is a good motivator for me to get in the gym.  No kids and one dog, Sundance (3 years)

CURRENT TRAINING: I started the Couch to Sprint workout plan from BT.  I bike well and my running is so so, but I can finish 3 miles in about 30 mins now, however my swimming is dreadful.  I'm learning that I don't know how to swim as well as I thought I could.  Not sure why I thought I was a better swimmer.  I can currently due 25 meters without stopping.  I need to develop my breathing and improve my stroke.

I found a swim coach at my gym and we are planning to develop a plan for me in January.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did a 5k in May, finished in 33 mins.  

2009 RACES:  I signed up for three Tri's Sprint but I realized afterwards that two have a 900m swims, while the other is 500m, so I need to access my development and determine if I will be ready for a 900m swim by May 3.  My goal is to finish one Sprint in 2009, I might add one or two 5k's in the year.  If I'm strong enough for two Sprints, I would be elated and will go for it.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm currently 5'10 and 198lbs, I want to drop 10-15 pounds.  I was 205 in the Spring so I'm seeing slow progression.  I want to provide the gift of rock hard abs to my wife in the next 4-6 months.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I'm very goal oriented, I will work very very hard, I'm open for coaching, and feedback and I would like to motivate other coach potatoes to put down the remote and incorporate healthier living.  I also need lots of tips for improving my swimming and I believe my running is choppy so I could use some tips here too.

Edited by doowgnik 2008-12-21 8:53 AM
2008-12-20 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Hi Jeremy

I'd like to join your mentoring group if there is still room.

Name: TriD64 (Mark)

Story: Became interested in Triathlon 3 years ago as a was to stay focused on training, and to loss weight I had gained. Completed 2 local sprint distance races in 2007 and was hooked.

Family Status: Married 16 years. Three daughters - 14, 12 & 9. My wife is not at all interested in Tri, but is supportive of my involvement.

This year's races: Injuries (major & minor) and family schedule kept me from racing this past year.

2009 races: I had hoped to race 2 Olys and 3 Sprints last year, so that is again my goal. A good buddy of mine also races and I"d LOVE to beat min in a race.

Current Training: I am currently focused on strength-training and weight loss, and lift 3Xs/wk. I try to swim 2X/wk (1 day focused on drill work and 1 day with a local Masters group) and run 2Xs/wk. I say try because it seems something leads to missing a day of each. Starting February I plan to transition to a more Tri focused training schedule. It is important for me to be balanced between training & family.

Weight-loss: I put on a lot of weight in my late 20s and early 30s when my kids were young. I couldn't seem to find a training routine I could stick with. Five years ago I finally was able to get into a routine. I lost a little weight but struggled to 'stay focused". Thought if I had a performance goal, not just weight goal. it might help. It did. So far I'm down 45 lbs. I have been focusing on % body fat more lately. Currently at 21.8% and would like to get to 12% or less.

Thanks for considering me for the group.
2008-12-20 6:01 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: jsipos group is Closed
Welcome everyone. This is really exciting. It seems like we have a really good group of people with different interests and goals.

One thing I wanted to mention in my original post was that if you have a question please ask. There are no dumb questions and I know that everyone has a lot of questions when they are first starting out in triathlon.

So everyone, welcome to the group.

Jeremy

2008-12-20 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1863954

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Yeah some people look for shortcuts but hard work really does pay off. Augusta 70.3 should be a great race. I do all race distances but I LOVE the Half IM distance. Depending on how my season goes I might be at Augusta. Have you decided on any other triathlons before Augusta 70.3?

2008-12-20 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1864148

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hi, Lake swimming takes some practice. I remember my first triathlon. I was in good shape as I had raced duathlons before that. About 100yds into the swim I started freaking out and couldn't breathe etc. Luckily I calmed down and actually had a great race. One option you should look into is trying some races that have a beginner wave. They usually start out last and the swim is a lot easier as there aren't as many people swimming on top of you etc.

Which HIM are you doing?
2008-12-20 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1864673

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hi Joel, I can speak from experience in saying that learning to swim takes work. Unfortunately, I didn't grow up swimming and have spent a lot of time working on it and I still have a long way to go. One good option for you would be to find a masters swim group in your area to get some help on the swim. If you get started now you should be good for an OLY in April/May.
2008-12-20 6:30 PM
in reply to: #1864796

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
60mile bike trips at 14? That's awesome. I wish I had learned to swim growing up. I can always tell the people at the pool that learned to swim as a kid. So are you living in Guam now?
2008-12-20 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1864861

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hi, Chattanooga is a great race. You'll like that one. Swimming down river is great. If you have any questions about local races in the ATL etc. let me know. I've probably done them all, well except for the ladies only ones.
2008-12-20 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1864942

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hi Bill, do you have your eye on any specific races yet? If you or anyone needs help on where to look for races let me know. I'm a firm believer in setting goals for yourself as it really helps in your training. When a workout get tough, it really helps to have a goal to focus on. So start thinking about races you might want to do.

2008-12-20 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1864977

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hi, welcome to the group. Sounds like you've got a couple good races planned. Once you learn good body position in the water you should be able to do the longer swim no problem. Swimming takes a lot of work and you should be on the right track with the swim coaching.
2008-12-20 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1865021

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Welcome to the group. So have you recovered from the injuries? Have you decided on any particular races yet?
2008-12-20 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1865118

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, I am very excited about having signed up for one race, but I am looking to flesh out my  schedule. I will probably shoot for the first one in March or April so I can make sure Im recovered from my Tampa marathon and then possibly the ING. Might start out with a tri the parks one in April then try to get a race on the calendar every month or so. Any suggestions for best driveable options from Atlanta? Also, as far as swim coaching goes, do you have any suggestions? I think hub and I could benefit from a few lessons and I am thinking of giving as a Christmas gift!
2008-12-21 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1865498

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Yeah that first tri the parks race at John Tanner is a great race. John Tanner is one of my favorite tri-the parks. I also like the tri the parks at Indian Springs. Another good sprint in June is Buster Britton put on by Team Magic. Buster Britton is near Birmingham and has a time trial swim start and usually a pretty competitive field.

As far as swim coaching, one of the athletes I coach is a swim instructor. I usually refer other athletes I coach etc. to her. She's one of the top female triathletes in GA and a very good swim instructor. I'll send you her contact info.
2008-12-21 3:10 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey everyone here's a list of everyone in our group. Please let me know if I missed anyone. Also, there might be one more added. I'll let you know when she has confirmed.

jsipos
ATLrunr
Paddlechic
joeseal
pilotncommand172
abbagej
flying_triathlete
doowgnik
TriD64

Please add everyone in the group to your friends list in the training log. Also, it would be great if everyone could keep their training log updated. That way everyone in the group can make comments, get ideas, make sure you're not slacking, etc. When you look at someone else's traning though remember that they may have different goals, background, interests etc. So don't necassarily think that what someone else is doing is right for you.

2008-12-21 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Hi Jeremy and everyone. I appreciate being able to join and I'm excited to get started. I was in a mentoring group last year and it was a great experience. For me it was nice to have others to talk Tri with, learn from and get/give support. Mark
2008-12-21 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1865138

Veteran
Las Vegas

jsipos - 2008-12-21 10:30 AM 60mile bike trips at 14? That's awesome. I wish I had learned to swim growing up. I can always tell the people at the pool that learned to swim as a kid. So are you living in Guam now?

Greetings I going to try to kill a few birds with one stone. first off when your not having cable TV or  not video games systems and being a hyper boy meant spending time outside. Yea swimming one of those things that can take years to pin down the technique and if you look at my log for today you'll see even i still working on it.  I am living in Guam for my work. i have been on the island for just under two years and it has been a awesome time being able to use the pacific ocean for my OWS Practices. Plus it beats the Snowy weather of Iowa where i grew up.

So my first question for the group is the always debated time vs distance. if you read my log you can see that i only swam 1800yds out of the 3200yds the plan calls for.  I currently using the 12 week intermediate sprint plan.  i did however make the hour the workout called for.  I guess i just looking some options on what matters more distance or time. 

2008-12-21 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Okay so I have never used the log feature of the site. I guess I will just start and put in my last weeks worth of wos
2008-12-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1866133

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
pilotncommand172 - 2008-12-21 5:46 PM

So my first question for the group is the always debated time vs distance. if you read my log you can see that i only swam 1800yds out of the 3200yds the plan calls for.  I currently using the 12 week intermediate sprint plan.  i did however make the hour the workout called for.  I guess i just looking some options on what matters more distance or time. 

Consistency is the key, so a little something is better than nothing. I do have a question for you about the swim workout though. Did it take you the whole hour to complete the 1800yds that you did swim? What kind of 100yd times are you swimming?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsipos group is Closed Rss Feed  

of 6