of 6

2009-03-04 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1995901

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Subject: RE: running cadence
jsipos - 2009-03-04 6:41 AM

Hey Mark I haven't seen the video on BT but here's the description of "strides" that I send the athletes I coach:

Short, submaximal sprints of around 15-20 seconds at 5k to 3k pace, with the goal being to run as relaxed as possible, with full recovery (ie, walking rest), at the END of a run. They aren't intervals, don't time them or track their progress or chart them or get competitive with someone else about who does them faster. Do these on a relatively flat surface not on a hill.

Thanks Jeremy. What is a good number of strides to start with, and how many would you suggest working up to for training for Olympic distance?
Mark

2009-03-04 9:26 PM
in reply to: #1858810

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: jsipos group is Closed

Not to completely hijack this but my pet peeve is when people call them "striders!"

2009-03-05 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1996483

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: running cadence
TriD64 - 2009-03-04 11:27 AM

jsipos - 2009-03-04 6:41 AM

Hey Mark I haven't seen the video on BT but here's the description of "strides" that I send the athletes I coach:

Short, submaximal sprints of around 15-20 seconds at 5k to 3k pace, with the goal being to run as relaxed as possible, with full recovery (ie, walking rest), at the END of a run. They aren't intervals, don't time them or track their progress or chart them or get competitive with someone else about who does them faster. Do these on a relatively flat surface not on a hill.

Thanks Jeremy. What is a good number of strides to start with, and how many would you suggest working up to for training for Olympic distance?
Mark

I'd start out with maybe 4-6 and work up to 8. To make it easy you could run for 15-20sec then walk for ~40secs for recovery. That way you can start every minute.
2009-03-06 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1998190

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ATLrunr - 2009-03-04 10:26 PM

Not to completely hijack this but my pet peeve is when people call them "striders!"

Ha, that's funny. The term "striders" always seems to grate on my nerves.
2009-03-11 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Subject: training tool
Jeremy
I'm curious to know what training tool(s) (other than goggles, bike & running shoes) you find to be indispensable. It seems there is no end to the gadgets and gizmos available. I'm trying to figure out which are essential.
Thanks, Mark

Edited by TriD64 2009-03-13 6:43 AM
2009-03-13 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2010820

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: training tool
TriD64 - 2009-03-11 11:41 AM

Jeremy
I'm curious to know what training tool(s) (other than goggles, bike & running shoes) you find to be indispensable. It seems there is no end to the gadgets and gizmos available. I'm trying to figure out which are essential.
Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark, well I'd say that there are some good "toys" for swimming. Paddles are great but you definitely need to ease into using them. For starting swimmers, doing some work with the pull bouy can also be good. For running and especially biking there are a lot of gimics/gizmos/gadgets etc. Most of that stuff is pretty much worthless. It took me years to realize that you will get faster/more fit if you just put in the HARD work and forget about all the extra stuff.

Here are a couple things that I incorporate into my training.

Swimming, I always use a pace clock or my watch to keep track of how fast I'm swimming. I like to keep track (in my head at least) how fast I'm swimming over time so that I can track improvement or tell if I'm tired etc.

In biking, I personally don't use a powermeter as I've done pretty well on the bike without one and it really probably wouldn't benefit me too much for the cost. But powermenters can be good for some people. For bike workouts, I have different places where I train so that I can get in the best workout. For harder Z4 intervals I have a stretch of relatively flat road that has little traffic. This allows me to really hit the hard intervals without being interrupted by cars, stop signs, etc. I think it's good to think about the type of workout and make sure where you'll be riding will be a good place to do that workout.

For running -- For newer runners I think doing some faster running on the track is great for learning to pace correctly. I don't do much running on the track now but when I did I would break down my times so that I would know what time I should be able to hit every 200m. So If I was doing mile repeats, I'd check my splits every 200 to make sure I was on pace. Eventually you'll get to the point of not having to check your splits. Whenever I got to to the track with someone for the first time, their first repeat on the track is always the fastest by far. It just takes some time to get an idea of what different paces feel like.

If you don't have a track or don't like to run on it you can also do this same thing at your favorite park etc. I have a great park that I do almost all of my Hard run intervals. This park has a 1mile and a 1.3mile dirt trail marked off in 1/10mile increments. I think it's much easier to push yourself to run hard in training if run the same route over and over since you'll know how long it should take to get to certain points of your route and you can easily track improvement over time. I can tell you that there's probably no bigger motivator for your training than seeing improvements.

Let me know if this makes sense. Also, If you are considering any other specific tools let me know.

2009-03-15 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2016011

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
jsipos - 2009-03-13 12:20 PM

TriD64 - 2009-03-11 11:41 AM

Jeremy
Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark, well I'd say that there are some good "toys" for swimming. Paddles are great but you definitely need to ease into using them. For starting swimmers, doing some work with the pull bouy can also be good. For running and especially biking there are a lot of gimics/gizmos/gadgets etc. Most of that stuff is pretty much worthless. It took me years to realize that you will get faster/more fit if you just put in the HARD work and forget about all the extra stuff.

Here are a couple things that I incorporate into my training.

Swimming, I always use a pace clock or my watch to keep track of how fast I'm swimming. I like to keep track (in my head at least) how fast I'm swimming over time so that I can track improvement or tell if I'm tired etc.

In biking, I personally don't use a powermeter as I've done pretty well on the bike without one and it really probably wouldn't benefit me too much for the cost. But powermenters can be good for some people. For bike workouts, I have different places where I train so that I can get in the best workout. For harder Z4 intervals I have a stretch of relatively flat road that has little traffic. This allows me to really hit the hard intervals without being interrupted by cars, stop signs, etc. I think it's good to think about the type of workout and make sure where you'll be riding will be a good place to do that workout.

For running -- For newer runners I think doing some faster running on the track is great for learning to pace correctly. I don't do much running on the track now but when I did I would break down my times so that I would know what time I should be able to hit every 200m. So If I was doing mile repeats, I'd check my splits every 200 to make sure I was on pace. Eventually you'll get to the point of not having to check your splits. Whenever I got to to the track with someone for the first time, their first repeat on the track is always the fastest by far. It just takes some time to get an idea of what different paces feel like.

If you don't have a track or don't like to run on it you can also do this same thing at your favorite park etc. I have a great park that I do almost all of my Hard run intervals. This park has a 1mile and a 1.3mile dirt trail marked off in 1/10mile increments. I think it's much easier to push yourself to run hard in training if run the same route over and over since you'll know how long it should take to get to certain points of your route and you can easily track improvement over time. I can tell you that there's probably no bigger motivator for your training than seeing improvements.

Let me know if this makes sense. Also, If you are considering any other specific tools let me know.

Jeremy
Thanks for your response. I have a question about paddles. What are they supposed to help with, strengthening your 'pull' muscles? I do use a pull buoy about every other swim.

I also use the same couple run routes to better judge my improvements. The downside for me is that I live a rural part of the country so the 'mapping' programs don't have satellite images close enough for me to map the trails that are in the area and they aren't on the street map view either. There are some hill routes I'd like to use, but short of measuring them with my bike and marking them off, I don't know the distances. For these reasons I am considering a Garmin 305. Any thoughts about this piece of equipment?

I think I will do something similar with swimming, in that I will pick 4-6 plans that I like and just use those to measure against.
Thanks again, Mark
2009-03-17 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2018824

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
TriD64 - 2009-03-15 10:38 AM

Jeremy
Thanks for your response. I have a question about paddles. What are they supposed to help with, strengthening your 'pull' muscles? I do use a pull buoy about every other swim.

I also use the same couple run routes to better judge my improvements. The downside for me is that I live a rural part of the country so the 'mapping' programs don't have satellite images close enough for me to map the trails that are in the area and they aren't on the street map view either. There are some hill routes I'd like to use, but short of measuring them with my bike and marking them off, I don't know the distances. For these reasons I am considering a Garmin 305. Any thoughts about this piece of equipment?

I think I will do something similar with swimming, in that I will pick 4-6 plans that I like and just use those to measure against.
Thanks again, Mark

Paddles are good for building strength and also for getting a good "feel" for the water. They help to exagerate flaws in your stroke. A good drill would be to swim 50yds with your hands closed in a fist then swim 100yds with paddles and then swim 50yds free.

I think the Garmin could be useful. Unless I'm doing track work I do all of my run intervals based on time (6x6min, 3x12min etc.) so knowing an exact distance for me isn't always important. I'd say for you the biggest bang for your buck would be to run more if possible. I know that might be hard to work into your schedule but adding an extra day or two of running (even if its only a short easier run with some strides) a week would make a huge difference.
2009-03-19 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2023144

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Jeremy
Thanks for your ongoing follow-up and feedback. I am glad to hear that you think adding a day of running, even if it is a shorter run day, would be of benefit. I have been considering adding another day of running, but wasn't sure if there would be much benefit if it had to be another shorter run day. Until recently my knees could only tolerate 2 days of running. Lately (past 3-4 mos) they seem to be recovered w/in a day after my short run, so I could do something like T & Th shorter runs, and Sat a long run. How would you suggest I structure the 2 shorter days for maximum benefit?
Mark
2009-03-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2029224

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
TriD64 - 2009-03-19 10:09 PM

Jeremy
Thanks for your ongoing follow-up and feedback. I am glad to hear that you think adding a day of running, even if it is a shorter run day, would be of benefit. I have been considering adding another day of running, but wasn't sure if there would be much benefit if it had to be another shorter run day. Until recently my knees could only tolerate 2 days of running. Lately (past 3-4 mos) they seem to be recovered w/in a day after my short run, so I could do something like T & Th shorter runs, and Sat a long run. How would you suggest I structure the 2 shorter days for maximum benefit?
Mark

Hey Mark, yes adding another run day (or two) would be good. Even if they are only short run days they would be a huge benefit. If you are going to add another day start off with a short run at first and then maybe follow with some strides. The other run during the week could have some faster type intervals and then the longer run on the weekend. After you have done that for a couple weeks, you could do a couple things. Make the shorter runs a bit longer or add some "tempo" running to your long run.

I know a lot of people are afraid to add running to their training b/c they think they'll get hurt or they are afraid of "junk" miles. I personally don't think there is such thing as a junk mile. If you do it right by adding the volume and intensity slowly over time, you'll probably be better off by running more as your body will adapt to the increased training load. I personally run 6-days a week and have gone through training blocks for 3-4 months of running every day. Let me know if you have any other questions.

2009-03-29 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2036881

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Thanks Jeremy. I should have an opportunity to try out some of your suggestions over the next couple months. I appreciate all of your suggestions & support. Mark

2009-04-07 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
sooo how did no go
2009-04-08 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2069172

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ATLrunr - 2009-04-07 5:42 PM

sooo how did no go

Hey it went pretty well. Starting off the year with a HIM is tough. So my goal going into the race was to be top 3 overall amateur. The good news is that I was the 3rd place amateur. The somewhat disappointing news is that I was less than 30secs from 1st. The top 3 amateurs were all in different waves so we didn't know how close we all really were. Overall the race was really nice and finishing in the French Quarter was pretty cool.

So how's the training for John Tanner and Gulf Coast going? Do you have a wetsuit? Both of those races will most likely be wetsuit legal.
2009-04-08 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Subject: Ochsner
Wow, great job hitting your goal.
Mark
2009-04-09 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Subject: Alternate HR/LT testing
Hey Jeremy
A while back you offered to provide an alternative method for determining LT and target HR training zones. I'm wondering if you would be willing to provide that now. It looks like I should be able to run outside most of the time now. I wanted to wait to try this until I could use it outside.
Thanks, Mark
2009-04-13 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2075203

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Alternate HR/LT testing
TriD64 - 2009-04-09 9:58 PM

Hey Jeremy
A while back you offered to provide an alternative method for determining LT and target HR training zones. I'm wondering if you would be willing to provide that now. It looks like I should be able to run outside most of the time now. I wanted to wait to try this until I could use it outside.
Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark, send me your email address and I'll forward the instructions for the tests.

2009-04-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2081296

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
jsipos - 2009-04-13 1:30 PM

Hey Jeremy
Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark, send me your email address and I'll forward the instructions for the tests.

Thanks Jeremy. Please send it to [email protected]
Mark
2009-04-17 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2088567

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
TriD64 - 2009-04-16 10:49 AM

jsipos - 2009-04-13 1:30 PM

Hey Jeremy
Thanks, Mark

Thanks Jeremy. Please send it to [email protected]
Mark

Hey Mark, I've got those files on my other computer. I"ll send those over to you this weekend. How's your training going?
2009-04-22 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2070242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey! Im glad to see you guys are still around... it seemed like everyone stopped posting! This weekend is my first ever sprint- John Tanner

I have a sleeveless wetsuit I am planning to wear... do you think it will be worth it since the swim is so short? My thoughts are it helps me at least Feel like Im swimming faster and it doesn't take but a few secs to take off, plus I think I might get nervous with crowd swimming thing

I have a question about pacing on the bike.... what is it supposed to feel like from an RPE perspective? I don't want t screw up my run... Today I basically did my first ever brick and I am planning to take it easy for the next couple of days... long slow swim tomm and friday off.

I didn't push it hard on the brick... I prob did about "80 percent" of what I think I would be doing in the race. So I am just wondering how much harder I will be able go on race day. Maybe 1-2 mph faster on the bike and 30 sec mile faster on the run?

You can probably tell Im a little nervous!!
2009-04-23 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2103780

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ATLrunr - 2009-04-22 7:29 PM

Hey! Im glad to see you guys are still around... it seemed like everyone stopped posting! This weekend is my first ever sprint- John Tanner

I have a sleeveless wetsuit I am planning to wear... do you think it will be worth it since the swim is so short? My thoughts are it helps me at least Feel like Im swimming faster and it doesn't take but a few secs to take off, plus I think I might get nervous with crowd swimming thing

I have a question about pacing on the bike.... what is it supposed to feel like from an RPE perspective? I don't want t screw up my run... Today I basically did my first ever brick and I am planning to take it easy for the next couple of days... long slow swim tomm and friday off.

I didn't push it hard on the brick... I prob did about "80 percent" of what I think I would be doing in the race. So I am just wondering how much harder I will be able go on race day. Maybe 1-2 mph faster on the bike and 30 sec mile faster on the run?

You can probably tell Im a little nervous!!

Hey good luck this weekend. Yes on the wetsuit. It will make you faster and give you a bit of confidence in the swim. Being a not so good swimmer I'll wear a wetsuit in ANY race that's wetsuit legal. Here's some advice for your first triathlon swim. Not sure if you signed up for the beginner wave but that would be a good idea. Either way I would recommend starting at the back of the swim pack so that you have some room to swim without getting kicked etc. too much. At John Tanner the swim start gets kinda crowded b/c there's a barrier on the right side. Being your first tri swim, you'll probably "freak out" within the first 200yds or so of the swim from going out too hard and/or from all the kicking etc.. You'll might start hyper ventilating etc. It's normal so don't panic. Just stop swimming, tread water, get your breath and start swimming again.

When you get out of the water and start biking your HR will probably be high. Give youreself a couple mins on the bike to recover and far as pacing don't hold back too much on the bike.

If you get this before your swim today, I'd suggest doing the following type of swim instead of a long slow one. Do a short swim warm up, then swim 100 Hard +300 at "race pace" and then a short cool down. Also, on friday it would be good to do a short 15-20min run with some(2-3)short 20 sec pick ups.

Let us know how it goes, good luck and have fun.
2009-04-23 7:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey! Thanks for the tips... I ended up doing something similar to waht you suggested. I did a 100 m warmup and then a 600 meter time trial (which is how long the race is). I pushed it pretty hard but felt like breathing was regular and under control. I actually had opted to start with my age group... hopefully it will be okay. I did do a few open water swims so hopefully it won't be too much of a shock. I'll let you know how it goes...

Good luck on your race, too. What are your goals?

2009-04-27 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So thanks so much for the advice. I had an awesome time at my first tri... there is a race report under my log .. not sure how to link it.

I made a lot of mistakes during the swim and transitions but those will be easy fixes for next time! I took your advice about not holding back too much on the bike, and in retrospect, I prob could have pushed it a little more since I ran fine. Also, I was happy to see that not having practices a lot of bricks wasn't limiting, and I do think it was better that way.

Overall, I can't wait to get faster with more training, and can't wait to have another race. So much fun!

2009-04-28 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2112573

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ATLrunr - 2009-04-27 10:28 AM

So thanks so much for the advice. I had an awesome time at my first tri... there is a race report under my log .. not sure how to link it.

I made a lot of mistakes during the swim and transitions but those will be easy fixes for next time! I took your advice about not holding back too much on the bike, and in retrospect, I prob could have pushed it a little more since I ran fine. Also, I was happy to see that not having practices a lot of bricks wasn't limiting, and I do think it was better that way.

Overall, I can't wait to get faster with more training, and can't wait to have another race. So much fun!

Hey congrats on your race. That was pretty awesome for your first race. You had an all around good one.

Oh, I'd hold off on the flying mount. I've seen way too many people mess that up and end up wrecking. I would suggest leaving your shoes clipped in when getting off the bike though. I'd practice that as running through transition without your bike shoes on will be much faster.

So are you still doing gulf coast? That should be fun. The after party is awesome.

Great job at JT though. Let me know if you have more questions.
2009-04-30 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey!  Looks like both of you did awesome at St. Anthony's!! Didn't have to swim either!

I am still doing Gulf Coast... it is really way too soon for me to do a half, so Im counting on it being slow! It will be fun though....

Okay I have a question... how many cals do you think I need to get through GC.
2009-04-30 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2120450

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ATLrunr - 2009-04-30 10:03 AM

Hey!  Looks like both of you did awesome at St. Anthony's!! Didn't have to swim either!

I am still doing Gulf Coast... it is really way too soon for me to do a half, so Im counting on it being slow! It will be fun though....

Okay I have a question... how many cals do you think I need to get through GC.

Thanks, Elaine had a great race but was in some serious pain with a stress fracture in her foot. Yeah I was bummed about the swim. They didn't add a run at the start of the race instead of the swim so the start was a bit of a cluster. Unfortunatley for me the cancelled swim caused a huge pack to form which I ended up pulling on the bike for most of the race. Drafting penalties should have been given out to at least 18 of the top 20 elite amateurs.

Yeah take your time at GC. It's a long race and the run through the park is brutal. As far as calories, I would recommend using something like CarboPro. CarboPro is basically a powder form of complex carbs. You add it to your favorite sports drink or water instead of eating gels, bars etc. On the container of carbopro it gives some recommendations on determing ~how many cals you need. I'd say you probably need 250-300 cals per hour on the bike. Then on the run I'd probably take a gel every 45mins or so. All3 sells carbopro but if you are going to go that route I'd get it asap and try it out.

Oh one warning, the bottle hand offs on the bike course are very very dangerous. I've seen a lot of people try to grab bottles at 20+ mph and end up wrecking bad or someone drops a bottle in the road and ends up causing an accident. If you need to get a bottle slow down to a stop.

let me know if you have any other questions. Jeremy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsipos group is Closed Rss Feed  

of 6