BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-12-18 2:57 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT

NAME: crowny2/David

STORY: I'm a 37-year old AG racer getting ready to start my third season and ready to make another step up in competition for hardware.  I initially started to train and race because I thought it would be fun to do one.  I was right.  Now I do them not only because they are fun, but I like to compete (3 sport letter in HS and a College athlete) and doing tri's helps me have fun, stay in shape and satisfy my competition bug.   

FAMILY STATUS: Married with no kids and no pets (yet on both)

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently in the 20-week Winter Maintenance program.  I am a Short Distance Racer (Olympic at the longest, prefer Sprint) and I have no desire to go long.  I rely on the pre-built programs on BT to help get me where I want to go.  And then the advice of the experts we have around the boards.  I'm also thinking about getting a coach this year to take me to the next level.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did 6 tri's in 2008 - 4 Sprints, 1 Oly and 1 in betweener.  Of the 4 Sprints, they were all repeats from the previous year's races (2007).  In 3 of the 4 Sprints, I was able to improve by double digit minutes on the same course and move from BOP/MOP to MOP/FOP in my AG. 

2009 RACES:  I will be revisiting only 1 or 2 of the same Sprints as the past two years.  My favorites.  This year, I plan on having a destination race as well as my biggest goal of being competitive for a podium spot in my AG for each race.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since starting training 2 years ago, I have lost a total of 30 lbs.  I'm now at the same weight I was when I graduated college.  ~175lbs during the racing season.  I will probably shoot to get that down to a mean 170 this season.  More importantly, though, is I have shaved off 55 points from my cholesterol and now don't have to worry about taking medication to keep it down.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: First and foremost, I am not an expert, but I have been to enough triathlons (11 in two years) that I can help you get prepared for your first.  I'll be honest with you about what to expect at the race and what you can realistically accomplish based on your training and experience.  I am quite supportive but I am not above using a little "tough love" to get the point across.

I don't know all of the answers, but I know many of them.  And the ones I don't know, we can find out together.  I will be your sounding board for all the questions and you never know, you might wind up teaching me a thing or two. 

All in all, I'm a competitor and if you want to be one too, I can help you get started down that road. 

Edited by crowny2 2008-12-31 12:11 PM

2008-12-27 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1861805

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - OPEN

David,

I am a 35 year old who did my first sprint tri in June and want to do more this year.  My goal is to do an IM by the time i am 40.  I was always in sports playing 4 in high school and 2 in college and was out of athletics for the past 12 years.  Started riding road bikes for Ride Without Limits in NC and wanted to do more, so I signed up and did a sprint.  My goal this year is do 3 olympics, 1 sprint, and a Double Century bike ride in september.  I am married with 2 boys (7 and 3) and very busy running a restaurant.  Training 3-4 hrs per week right now getting ready to crank it up to 8-10 in January.  Can use all the help i can get.  Want to lose the 15 pounds  I have gained since October with better eating (love the holidays).  I have never been coached on any o f this so it is all new to me!  Thanks for mentoring and I look forward to the input!

Thanks

Benjy Capps

2008-12-27 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1873530

User image

Champion
mandn2boys - 2008-12-27 12:42 PM

David,

I am a 35 year old who did my first sprint tri in June and want to do more this year. My goal is to do an IM by the time i am 40. I was always in sports playing 4 in high school and 2 in college and was out of athletics for the past 12 years. Started riding road bikes for Ride Without Limits in NC and wanted to do more, so I signed up and did a sprint. My goal this year is do 3 olympics, 1 sprint, and a Double Century bike ride in september. I am married with 2 boys (7 and 3) and very busy running a restaurant. Training 3-4 hrs per week right now getting ready to crank it up to 8-10 in January. Can use all the help i can get. Want to lose the 15 pounds I have gained since October with better eating (love the holidays). I have never been coached on any o f this so it is all new to me! Thanks for mentoring and I look forward to the input!

Thanks

Benjy Capps

Welcome to the Group Benjy.  I'm looking forward to talking to you as the season progresses. 

2008-12-27 6:45 PM

User image

New user

Hi David,

My name is Joe, BlueCat on BeginnerTri, and I would like to join your group. I am 38 years old and have started training for my first Sprint tri which will be in May of 09. I have signed up for one in June and one in August as well.

For the past few years I have been playing lacrosse and biking to stay in shape. I have some issues with the swim portion of the tri as I know for certain that is my weakest area. Living in New England doesn't really afford me the opportunity to get out into open water and train. Most of my swimming will be done in a pool before that first tri in May.

I am married and have two daughters ages 3 and 1 month. My wife will be out of work until August so right now is the perfect time for me to start training as child care isn't going to be an issue.

I am not really doing this to be competitive with anyone but myself. I would like to finish the tri in May, lose some weight, ge myself into better shape, and have fun while doing it. 

I hope you let me join your group!

Take care.

2008-12-27 11:42 PM

New user

Aliso Viejo, CA

David:

I am a 42 yr old father of three (17,12 and 6 yr olds) who has started (and stopped) training for sprint level tri's a few times.  Finding this site and post is just the thing I need to stay motivated. 

I have always ran (5k-10k) distances as well as logged 50-100 miles weekly on the bike.  However, the swim is new to me.  I look forward to logging and receiving input from the team. 

My goal is to run in 4-5 sprints this year.  Living in Southern California, should be no problem.  I also have access to a gym and have a bike trainer. 

I am going to use the BT suggested trainer (20 weeks, 2x/week) and will log everything in.  I also use a HR monitor. 

Thanks and look forward to progressing.  I am a competitor and ! 

Chuck 

2008-12-28 10:57 PM

Portland, OR
Hi, my name is Rob (tkdrq on beginner tri).  I completed my first sprint tri 3 years ago and really enjoyed it although I was really slow.  Trained for the next summer but got injured right before my race.  This year I would like to complete a Sprint in June and an Olympic in September.  I am 42 years old and my weakest area is my run.  I would be interested in joining your group.

2008-12-29 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1873845

User image

Champion
blue-cat - 2008-12-27 6:45 PM

Hi David,

My name is Joe, BlueCat on BeginnerTri, and I would like to join your group. I am 38 years old and have started training for my first Sprint tri which will be in May of 09. I have signed up for one in June and one in August as well.

For the past few years I have been playing lacrosse and biking to stay in shape. I have some issues with the swim portion of the tri as I know for certain that is my weakest area. Living in New England doesn't really afford me the opportunity to get out into open water and train. Most of my swimming will be done in a pool before that first tri in May.

I am married and have two daughters ages 3 and 1 month. My wife will be out of work until August so right now is the perfect time for me to start training as child care isn't going to be an issue.

I am not really doing this to be competitive with anyone but myself. I would like to finish the tri in May, lose some weight, ge myself into better shape, and have fun while doing it. 

I hope you let me join your group!

Take care.

Hi Joe.  Welcome aboard!

2008-12-29 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1874195

User image

Champion
resdoggy27 - 2008-12-27 11:42 PM

David:

I am a 42 yr old father of three (17,12 and 6 yr olds) who has started (and stopped) training for sprint level tri's a few times.  Finding this site and post is just the thing I need to stay motivated. 

I have always ran (5k-10k) distances as well as logged 50-100 miles weekly on the bike.  However, the swim is new to me.  I look forward to logging and receiving input from the team. 

My goal is to run in 4-5 sprints this year.  Living in Southern California, should be no problem.  I also have access to a gym and have a bike trainer. 

I am going to use the BT suggested trainer (20 weeks, 2x/week) and will log everything in.  I also use a HR monitor. 

Thanks and look forward to progressing.  I am a competitor and ! 

Chuck 

Hiya Chuck!  Glad to have you. 

2008-12-29 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1875158

User image

Champion

tkdrq - 2008-12-28 10:57 PM Hi, my name is Rob (tkdrq on beginner tri).  I completed my first sprint tri 3 years ago and really enjoyed it although I was really slow.  Trained for the next summer but got injured right before my race.  This year I would like to complete a Sprint in June and an Olympic in September.  I am 42 years old and my weakest area is my run.  I would be interested in joining your group.

Rob, you've come to the right place!

2008-12-29 8:08 AM

User image

Champion

Alright Gents.  So far, so good.  There are 4 of you that have already made the commitment to making your life better, improving your health and having a bit of fun along the way.  We will get a few more in to the group and then we will be set.

Use this thread to ask all the questions you are too embarrassed to ask on the main boards.  And remember, there really is no such thing as a dumb question.  It is better to suffer a moment of embarassment and ask than a lifetime of ignorance by remaining quiet. 

I will be visiting your logs a few times a week to check in as well as this thread routinely to answer questions. 

I look forward to helping each of you reach your goals.

2008-12-30 2:51 PM

User image

New user

Excited to joing a forum!  I am a 34 year old sinlge female who thought why not try a triathlon.  I just completed my first outdoor triathlon this past summer.  I did very well...well, I thought so!  I swam in college (seems like a lifetime ago) so that is my favorite part of the tri.  I have no idea what I'm doing on a bike.  Running - well it is coming along.  I am very competitive when I'm in the race...not so good about training.  My goals are to win the indoor triathlon (like last year, but this year I'm mega out of shape) at the end of February, lose weight, and be more competitive in the Sprint triathlon at the end of the summer (I was 7th in my age group last year, but 15 min behind the overall top female in a 12 mile bike - sad really).   I really wanted to join your group because of how you wrote your description....especially that you give "tough love".  I was yelled at by my high school, all-year-round, and collegiate coaches - and I perform better that way.  I hope by joining a forum I will go work out instead of hitting the bar for happy hour!  I look forward to this. 

2008-12-30 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1878217

User image

Champion
washmw - 2008-12-30 2:51 PM

Excited to joing a forum!  I am a 34 year old sinlge female who thought why not try a triathlon.  I just completed my first outdoor triathlon this past summer.  I did very well...well, I thought so!  I swam in college (seems like a lifetime ago) so that is my favorite part of the tri.  I have no idea what I'm doing on a bike.  Running - well it is coming along.  I am very competitive when I'm in the race...not so good about training.  My goals are to win the indoor triathlon (like last year, but this year I'm mega out of shape) at the end of February, lose weight, and be more competitive in the Sprint triathlon at the end of the summer (I was 7th in my age group last year, but 15 min behind the overall top female in a 12 mile bike - sad really).   I really wanted to join your group because of how you wrote your description....especially that you give "tough love".  I was yelled at by my high school, all-year-round, and collegiate coaches - and I perform better that way.  I hope by joining a forum I will go work out instead of hitting the bar for happy hour!  I look forward to this. 

Alright!  Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to accomplish.  Welcome aboard and get ready to train. 

2008-12-30 3:05 PM

New user

Go to school and live in Chandler, AZ
Hi David my name is Jerry and would like to join this group for mentoring. I am a beginner when it comes to triathlons and have always wanted to run one. During high school and for a short period in college I was running competitive cross country but that was about four years ago. Tri's have always interested me but i never really had the time to get into one until now. I have started the 20 week balanced 3x sprint training as of yesterday and am looking to run in the Tempe International May 17th. I want to start off with a few sprints and then get into an Olympic at the end of the year which should work out with me living in Arizona. I plan on sticking to my plans religiously but need a mentor to over see my training to make sure I am not getting to lazy or overtraining. This group seems like a good fit for me because everyone is looking at the same goals as far as distances go. I know that my first few times out I probably wont be taking home 1st place trophys but want to get there with a little experience under my belt!
2008-12-30 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1878249

User image

Champion

muempire10 - 2008-12-30 3:05 PM Hi David my name is Jerry and would like to join this group for mentoring. I am a beginner when it comes to triathlons and have always wanted to run one. During high school and for a short period in college I was running competitive cross country but that was about four years ago. Tri's have always interested me but i never really had the time to get into one until now. I have started the 20 week balanced 3x sprint training as of yesterday and am looking to run in the Tempe International May 17th. I want to start off with a few sprints and then get into an Olympic at the end of the year which should work out with me living in Arizona. I plan on sticking to my plans religiously but need a mentor to over see my training to make sure I am not getting to lazy or overtraining. This group seems like a good fit for me because everyone is looking at the same goals as far as distances go. I know that my first few times out I probably wont be taking home 1st place trophys but want to get there with a little experience under my belt!

Hello Jerry.  And welcome.  Looking forward to helping in any way I can.

2008-12-31 10:05 AM

User image

Denver

Hi David,

My name is Mark (OldeCity) and I'm 34 and new to the multi-sport scene. I was a high school and college athlete and ran 5Ks through my 20s and early 30s. I am looking to get into better shape and add some competitive fun to my exercise routine. I would love to join your group so I can prepare for a Sprint Tri in April/May. I don't plan on going longer than Sprints.

I am running a 5K on Feb. 1st and plan ratchet it up from there. I just joined a gym and started going a few times a week before work. I would like to get into to better shape via running, spinning and some basic weight training, then get in the pool when I can focus on technique without wearing out quickly.

Happy New Year!

Mark

2008-12-31 12:10 PM
in reply to: #1879647

User image

Champion
OldeCity - 2008-12-31 10:05 AM

Hi David,

My name is Mark (OldeCity) and I'm 34 and new to the multi-sport scene. I was a high school and college athlete and ran 5Ks through my 20s and early 30s. I am looking to get into better shape and add some competitive fun to my exercise routine. I would love to join your group so I can prepare for a Sprint Tri in April/May. I don't plan on going longer than Sprints.

I am running a 5K on Feb. 1st and plan ratchet it up from there. I just joined a gym and started going a few times a week before work. I would like to get into to better shape via running, spinning and some basic weight training, then get in the pool when I can focus on technique without wearing out quickly.

Happy New Year!

Mark

Mark!  Welcome to the group.  And you will round it out for the season.  I think we have a nice cozy group and I look foward to getting to know you all more over the coming months.

2008-12-31 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT

Alright, Lady and Gents.

We are a group.  Looking forward to starting the new year off right.

Sounds like everyone has some great goals and together we can all make them.

So if you have started to train, how are you feeling so far?  Any interesting aches and pains?  Yes, you do have muscles THERE! 

If you haven't started training, when do you plan to start? 

Have a safe and happy New Year tonight and get ready to start next week hard and heavy as the 2009 season gets into full swing!

2008-12-31 1:44 PM

User image

Denver

I have a few basic questions about training programs for beginners like me. I have been given two books:  Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals by Steven Jonus and Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week by Eric Harr. Each one has pretty good reviews on Amazon and basic beginner programs.

Would I gain more from the programs and access available to a Bronze member? $25 seems like a small fee to pay for something that could streamline and simplify the training.

What do you recommend for strength training? In terms of what how often and the types of exercises most beneficial to tri training and injury prevention?

Are there any other resources (books, magazines, websites) that you find particularly helpful?

Thanks very much and have a great New Year!

Mark

2009-01-02 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1880114

User image

Champion
OldeCity - 2008-12-31 1:44 PM

I have a few basic questions about training programs for beginners like me. I have been given two books:  Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals by Steven Jonus and Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week by Eric Harr. Each one has pretty good reviews on Amazon and basic beginner programs.

Would I gain more from the programs and access available to a Bronze member? $25 seems like a small fee to pay for something that could streamline and simplify the training.

What do you recommend for strength training? In terms of what how often and the types of exercises most beneficial to tri training and injury prevention?

Are there any other resources (books, magazines, websites) that you find particularly helpful?

Thanks very much and have a great New Year!

Mark

Excellent questions Mark.

You are correct.  The fee to get access to the pre-designed plans on BT is VERY small.  And it makes life so much easier.  I've been using them for a while now and it takes the thinking out of training.  I don't have to worry about what I'm doing, it has EVERYTHING spelled out for me.  Including strength training.

As to strength training, I would recommend hoping into the TriTalk thread AND the Strength Thread.  There are TONs of discussions and there are two very passionate sides about it.  Of course, one side is vehemently against, and one is passionately for. 

Me, I think there is room for it.  But if you do it, it should be very minimal weight and higher reps.  Some argue for no weights and only doing resistance with your body.  Like squats with no bar.  Again, lots of info, and not all of it clear.  In time you will make your own opinion.

Finally, other sources.  To me, BT has been one of the most complete sources I've found.  I originally started on Training Peaks, but found there was more support and more complete information here.  Not to knock Training Peaks.  Great site run by Joel Friel.  Kind of the father of Triathlon training.  He has written a few very good books too.  One of them called the Triathlete's Bible and for many it is.

BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR

2009-01-02 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1882369

User image

Denver

Thanks very much.

I joined up at the Silver level and am planning to import the 12-week 5k/30k/5k duathlon training program to start. It appears to have a good mix of weight and core training and gets me started without the swimming cpmponent. I want to attack the pool when I am in at least 10k shape (March/April).

Is there a way to save this string of posts to my home page? Or do I have to seek it out through the Forums link?

Thanks!

2009-01-02 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1882447

User image

Champion
OldeCity - 2009-01-02 8:52 AM

Thanks very much.

I joined up at the Silver level and am planning to import the 12-week 5k/30k/5k duathlon training program to start. It appears to have a good mix of weight and core training and gets me started without the swimming cpmponent. I want to attack the pool when I am in at least 10k shape (March/April).

Is there a way to save this string of posts to my home page? Or do I have to seek it out through the Forums link?

Thanks!

Are you a swimmer or are you at least comfortable in the pool.  Because the sooner you hit the pool, the better, if you are not.

Great question.  I know you can subscribe to the thread and get email notifications each time there is an answer to this thread.  Just go to your main control panel, and there is a button on the right that allows you to do it for different forum's. 

2009-01-05 8:15 AM

User image

Champion

Happy Monday group.

I hope that everyone had a safe and happy New Years celebration and are now ready to get down to the business at hand.

So what are the plans?  What's up?  Talk to me. 

2009-01-05 3:31 PM

Portland, OR
Well, Holidays are done (along with the holiday snacks).  I went out for my first bike ride in a while.  Kept a nice steady pace and felt very comfortable (other than being a bit saddle sore towards the end).  Gonna spend this month just working on my overall base.  Feb. is the month that I do a swim fitness challenge (swim every day and total over 100,000 yards).  Will probably try to work in a little running around the swim, but time is tight.
2009-01-05 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1887486

User image

Champion

tkdrq - 2009-01-05 3:31 PM Well, Holidays are done (along with the holiday snacks). I went out for my first bike ride in a while. Kept a nice steady pace and felt very comfortable (other than being a bit saddle sore towards the end). Gonna spend this month just working on my overall base. Feb. is the month that I do a swim fitness challenge (swim every day and total over 100,000 yards). Will probably try to work in a little running around the swim, but time is tight.

Keep in mind that nothing will replace training in each discipline.  Trust me.  Sure getting general aerobic fitness will make it easier to get fit running but aerobic fitness from swimming is radically different from running.  And there is a general saying in triathlons.  "You can't win a triathlon in the swim, but you can lose it.".

Seems like the swim is going to be easy for you. 

2009-01-05 9:41 PM

New user

Go to school and live in Chandler, AZ

Last week of training was difficult with the holidays but today is the start of a new week so I went out to see what I had to set up a bench mark of where I am now and where I want to be come race time in 19 more weeks. Bike went well and run went well. I have to get to the pool tomorrow and start putting in some serious work because I know that is going to be my Achilles in the race. For details on the workout look at my training log. 

Quick question, I am thinking about stepping up to either the bronze or silver membership. Is there much difference between the two? Is everything in the silver completely necessary? I love all the tools in the free package so I think that if it was available then I would use it but still not sure. Also my race I have planned in May is enourmus. It is a pretty big club/individual event with an open water swim. I am thinking after the workout today I want to hit a much smaller sprint in a pool at the end of march. Would you recommend this? I know open water races aren't for the inexperienced so I just wanted to see everyones thoughts. Also I think I am going to catch a few tri's as a spectator to see what the event is like so there aren't too many surprise's. What are your thoughts on tri clubs? Worth the money? I am thinking about joining up the "Landis Tri Club" here in Arizona because they cater to beginners and experts alike.

One last thing, as a college student alcohol is in my life. I am 24 and a little wiser than I was at 21 so its not a great deal but a few drinks on the weekends are normal. What are your thoughts on drinking while being on a training plan? I plan to stop completely around the beginning of March so I can keep the empty calories away. What would you recommend? And I apologize in advance at the length and the large amount of questions in this email!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT Rss Feed  

of 4