General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LT Test - Valid for a Novice Runner? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-28 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Subject: LT Test - Valid for a Novice Runner?

I took off on a run today with no intention of doing a LT test, but ended up effectively doing a makeshift LT test. I am a beginning runner who has been using the Galloway plan to begin training for a half marathon in May. I took off on my run today and decided to see how far I could run without walking. I ended up running the whole 3 mile run. It was a max effort for me over the last mile and took 36 minutes, with roughly even splits. If I look at my average heart rate over the last 2 miles, it is my impression that I would have a rough estimate for my LT.

My issue is this, my average heart rate for the last 2 miles is 187. I'm a 23 year old guy who is about 25-30 pounds overweight on a 5'5 fram and has been running for about a month this time around and before that a 2 month break and 3 months of easy running before that. Is it possible to already have a LT that high or is my heart rate skewed based off the fact I have such little mileage under my belt so far. If it is an accurate number, what would that mean for my future training? My logs have all my running for the few months, which is pretty much the only running I've ever done.

I'm new to heart rate training so I would love any input that any of you more experienced runners would have. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2009-01-28 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1934571

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: LT Test - Valid for a Novice Runner?

That is not an accurate field test, and it would result in a skewed LT (which in turn would skew your zones).

I personally would recommend just forgetting about the HRM, going out and consistently doing your runs, mostly easy with an occassional harder effort.  Simple and effective, and a lot less time or thought consuming.

2009-01-28 9:31 PM

User image

Regular
The Land of Misfit Toys
It's possible to have a LT that high, but, as Rick mentioned above, what you did was not a LT test and would probably provide skewed zones. I also agree with Rick's advice to just get out and run. My peak times both in my "previous life" (my distant competitive running days) and my "new life" (as a born-again endurance athlete ) have come from steady, consistent miles or yards, depending upon the sport of course, without worrying about heart rate zones, watts, etc...
2009-01-28 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

Thanks for the info guys. Re-reading the protocol I realized why the results would be skewed. Thanks guys and I plan on training like you said.

Edited by uclamatt2007 2009-01-28 9:56 PM
2009-01-28 10:24 PM

Master
Agree with all above. Actually, your HR will be really high for a while while you ease into training, but it'll drop a LOT for the same given speed after 5-6 weeks of consistent training. Go EASY and incrementally - resist the urge to go hog wild on days where you feel like superman (it will happen!), keep your eye on long-term fitness, and the gains will steadily come. You've got tons of potential at your age, especially with gradual weight loss to supplement fitness gains. 
2009-01-29 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1934883

User image

Master

agarose2000 - 2009-01-28 8:24 PM Agree with all above. Actually, your HR will be really high for a while while you ease into training, but it'll drop a LOT for the same given speed after 5-6 weeks of consistent training. Go EASY and incrementally - resist the urge to go hog wild on days where you feel like superman (it will happen!), keep your eye on long-term fitness, and the gains will steadily come. You've got tons of potential at your age, especially with gradual weight loss to supplement fitness gains. 

x2 from me. When I started doing this distance training 6 months ago I kept trying to stay in Zone 1/2 but could never do it.  I had to go slow enough where I was almost walking...probably a 12 min pace to keep it that low.  Now, 6 months later I can run 9 min miles in zone 2 and 8 min miles in low zone 3...so it gets better.  In the beginning just make sure your efforts are light enough to go again the next day.  Build up the volume and within months you will notice yourself getting "better, faster, stronger" just like the Kanye song.

2009-01-29 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1934883

User image

Extreme Veteran
Firestone, CO
Agree with above. You must have a type A personality like me. I always wanted to do more in the beginning and would end up getting injured. Your best plan is to stick with the training plan and make small adjustments. Good luck with training and have fun!
Ace
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LT Test - Valid for a Novice Runner? Rss Feed