BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis's Mentor Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-04-08 10:07 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: Artemis's Mentor Group - FULL!
Name: Jen (Artemis)

Story
:  I did my first triathlon in 2005 just to see if I could do it.  I'd come from a background of swimming in high school and lots of biking with my family, but I really hadn't worked out regularly or trained for a few years before this.  I'd certainly never been a runner.  I started with the BT Couch to 5k run training plan and finished my first in October, 2005.  Since then, I've done sprint and olympic distance tris and ran my first marathon last fall.

I'm currently a graduate student getting a PhD in Integrative Life Sciences, focusing on Bioinformatic studies of Pulmonary Hypertension.  Basically, a fancy way of saying that I'm trying to find the genes that cause patients with PAH to fail.  It's interesting work.  I love the clinical applications.

Family Status:  Married (5 years this summer!), no kids, 2 cats

Current Training
: I'm currently training for a Duathlon using one of the BT training plans.

In general, I use training plans available here on the site.  I am planning to start heart rate (HR) training this year because I have a tendency to overexert myself rather quickly and then get too tired to finish long runs.

This Year's Races: So far, I've run a 10k.  First race since an injury last fall.

2009 Races: National Duathlon Festival, Rockett's Landing Triathlon (Bike in a relay), Capital to Capital Half Century, Scenic Shore 150, Pink Power Triathlon.

Trying to decide if I am going to do a HIM as a relay (I'd be the swimmer).  I'm also considering doing another marathon in November.  Everything is still kind of up in the air right now.

Weightloss: My weight peaked at around 185 when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  I'm currently at 165 and my doc would like me down to around 140 by the end of the year.

What Will Make Me A Good Mentor:  I've got a lot of experience with how NOT to do things. 

In all seriousness, I've made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot from them.  I'd love to help people not make some of the same mistakes and stay healthier than I have been.  I come from a swimming background, so I do know a lot about that.  Most of what I know about running has been learned through trial and error.  I'm on the right track now.

I tend to think that if I made it this far, anyone who wants to can also do it.  I'm here to encourage and motivate, but also help make sure you're not taking on too much.

I'm on BT a lot.  As a graduate student, my schedule is pretty flexible.  That means I'm around a lot to answer questions, send inspires, and just chat if you want to.  I look forward to meeting everyone!!

Edited by Artemis 2009-04-13 2:45 PM

2009-04-09 1:55 AM
in reply to: #2070802

User image

Veteran
Fairbanks
Subject: RE: Artemis's Mentor Group - OPEN
Name: Kristina (KrisSeer)

Story
:  I lurked around BT for a year or so before finally signing up at the end of March. I joined the SuperHero challenge (go PowerRangers!!) and started in on the couch to 5K plan. I have no tri experience, and the only race I've ever done was the Myrtle Beach half marathon in February 2008. My brother somehow convinced me to attempt that, so I trained, signed up, and finished without walking in just under my goal time. And I haven't run since... So hopefully you don't mind having a complete novice on the team!!

I live in Fairbanks, AK which may make training tough because it's cold, snowy and dark for much of the year. Fortunately it's now starting to warm up, so the ice and snow will slowly disappear and then I'll have a few months before I have to figure out winter training. I work for a non-profit organization that focuses on climate change and arctic research.

Family Status:  single

Current Training
: I'm working on the Couch to 5K plan. About a week and a half in. Like I said, definitely a beginner!!

This Year's Races: I'll find a local 5K to run in at the end of the Couch to 5K program; they have small races fairly often so it shouldn't be too hard. There's also a 10K on June 21st that I'd really like to participate in if I can get ready for it.

Weightloss: I maxed out at 220, which was painful. I got back down to 190 but then started creeping up again. I'm now back down to 201, and hoping to make it stick this time. Finding an excercise program I can enjoy and stick to would help.

2009-04-09 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Name: Shelley (pole_dancer)

Story
:  This is my second tri season.  I started some running a couple of years ago but was sucked into biking shortly after and fell in love with it.  I picked up running again in the fall of 2007 for something to do when the weather was too bad to ride.  I ran inside on a 1/13 mile track, mostly during the week and worked up to running 2 1/2 marathons last spring.  I also decided that if I could figure out how to not drown in the pool, I had the makings of completing a triathlon.  Well, last year, I completed 6 running events,  6 biking events and 5 multi-sport events with an Olympic distance being my longest. 

Family Status:  Married (with grandchildren)

Current Training
: I am a very consistant trainer but my focus is on completion rather than speed.

This Year's Races: I've completed 2 1/2 marathons (injured myself on one and performed very badly on the second due to that injury).  I also completed one sprint triathlon.  I have a marathon planned for 4/25 but due to my injury, I have lost a lot of training time and will have to change it to a half.  I plan on completing everything I completed last year plus add another olympic distance race.

Let me add that I am not fast in anything I do.  I usually come in the bobop.   So far this year, that has not improved.  I tend to drop my running training during the summer to a minimal amount (I hate the heat and there is enough daylight to bike almost every day) and that probably hurts me more than anything.

Weightloss: I have been up to 205 when I tried to quit smoking once and decided I need to up my metabolism before I could successfully quit.  Biking did that trick and I quit in 08/09.  I am down to staying below 170 consistantly but would like to get to the 150 range.

Why I Need A Good Mentor: I need someone to keep me working on my weeknesses.  I have great drive to do what I like but not what I don't.
2009-04-09 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2072961

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
KrisSeer - 2009-04-09 2:55 AM Name: Kristina (KrisSeer)

Story
:  I lurked around BT for a year or so before finally signing up at the end of March. I joined the SuperHero challenge (go PowerRangers!!) and started in on the couch to 5K plan. I have no tri experience, and the only race I've ever done was the Myrtle Beach half marathon in February 2008. My brother somehow convinced me to attempt that, so I trained, signed up, and finished without walking in just under my goal time. And I haven't run since... So hopefully you don't mind having a complete novice on the team!!

I live in Fairbanks, AK which may make training tough because it's cold, snowy and dark for much of the year. Fortunately it's now starting to warm up, so the ice and snow will slowly disappear and then I'll have a few months before I have to figure out winter training. I work for a non-profit organization that focuses on climate change and arctic research.

Family Status:  single

Current Training
: I'm working on the Couch to 5K plan. About a week and a half in. Like I said, definitely a beginner!!

This Year's Races: I'll find a local 5K to run in at the end of the Couch to 5K program; they have small races fairly often so it shouldn't be too hard. There's also a 10K on June 21st that I'd really like to participate in if I can get ready for it.

Weightloss: I maxed out at 220, which was painful. I got back down to 190 but then started creeping up again. I'm now back down to 201, and hoping to make it stick this time. Finding an excercise program I can enjoy and stick to would help.

Hi Kristina!  Welcome to the group!!

Running in Alaska seems like a challenge with the long winters.  Do you still have lots of snow on the ground?  The Couch to 5k is a great plan. 
2009-04-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2073185

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
pole_dancer - 2009-04-09 8:53 AM Name: Shelley (pole_dancer)

Story
:  This is my second tri season.  I started some running a couple of years ago but was sucked into biking shortly after and fell in love with it.  I picked up running again in the fall of 2007 for something to do when the weather was too bad to ride.  I ran inside on a 1/13 mile track, mostly during the week and worked up to running 2 1/2 marathons last spring.  I also decided that if I could figure out how to not drown in the pool, I had the makings of completing a triathlon.  Well, last year, I completed 6 running events,  6 biking events and 5 multi-sport events with an Olympic distance being my longest. 

Family Status:  Married (with grandchildren)

Current Training
: I am a very consistant trainer but my focus is on completion rather than speed.

This Year's Races: I've completed 2 1/2 marathons (injured myself on one and performed very badly on the second due to that injury).  I also completed one sprint triathlon.  I have a marathon planned for 4/25 but due to my injury, I have lost a lot of training time and will have to change it to a half.  I plan on completing everything I completed last year plus add another olympic distance race.

Let me add that I am not fast in anything I do.  I usually come in the bobop.   So far this year, that has not improved.  I tend to drop my running training during the summer to a minimal amount (I hate the heat and there is enough daylight to bike almost every day) and that probably hurts me more than anything.

Weightloss: I have been up to 205 when I tried to quit smoking once and decided I need to up my metabolism before I could successfully quit.  Biking did that trick and I quit in 08/09.  I am down to staying below 170 consistantly but would like to get to the 150 range.

Why I Need A Good Mentor: I need someone to keep me working on my weeknesses.  I have great drive to do what I like but not what I don't.

Hi Shelley!  Welcome to the group!!

Are you following a specific training plan right now?  I know I tend to hate working on running or the things I'm weak at, but if I have a training plan, that usually pushes me to do more of the things I'm not so fond of.
2009-04-09 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2073294

User image

Veteran
Fairbanks
Artemis - 2009-04-09 5:24 AM
Hi Kristina!  Welcome to the group!!

Running in Alaska seems like a challenge with the long winters.  Do you still have lots of snow on the ground?  The Couch to 5k is a great plan. 

Thanks!! Yep, we've still got a lot of snow. It's melting, but slowly since it's still extremely cold at night. They just cleared the bike path off yesterday, though, so that's exciting. Of course, that means I need to turn serious attention towards buying a bike now... I've been leaning towards hybrid because I do want to use it for commuting and Tri-training, but there are also a lot of dirt and gravel trails, roads and paths around here.

Any thoughts, anybody?

2009-04-09 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2074351

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
KrisSeer - 2009-04-09 3:07 PM
Thanks!! Yep, we've still got a lot of snow. It's melting, but slowly since it's still extremely cold at night. They just cleared the bike path off yesterday, though, so that's exciting. Of course, that means I need to turn serious attention towards buying a bike now... I've been leaning towards hybrid because I do want to use it for commuting and Tri-training, but there are also a lot of dirt and gravel trails, roads and paths around here.

Any thoughts, anybody?

My younger brother is looking for the same thing, so I've been trying to help with that.  We were looking for bikes that are not road bikes because they won't stand up to the gravel and trails.  But, we're trying to find something with bigger wheels than a standard mountain bike.  Here are some of the ones we've been looking at:

Gary Fisher Utopia (or one of the other two in the same line)
Marin Muirwoods
Scott Sportster P3
Felt F35x (cyclocross bike)

The Felt is the most expensive, but it is a very nice bike.  It has nicer components than any of the other one.  Out of my bro's price range, though, so the others are cheaper.  Of the remaining, the Marin was one of the best values for the money as far as components.  It does not have a front shock but the Gary Fisher and Scott do, so the Marin is a little lighter.

Hope that is helpful!  Let me know if you have other questions.
2009-04-09 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2073295

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Artemis - 2009-04-09 8:25 AM

Hi Shelley!  Welcome to the group!!

Are you following a specific training plan right now?  I know I tend to hate working on running or the things I'm weak at, but if I have a training plan, that usually pushes me to do more of the things I'm not so fond of.

No plan at the moment.  I had a marathon plan but lost ground on it due to injury.  Right now I am just trying to get my mileage back up to get through the 1/2.  Once that's out of the way, I will probably look for an Olympic training plan that will coordinate with my race schedule (which I still have not solidfied).  I currently run at least 3 days per week, swim twice per week and bike as often as the weather permits (lots of rain this time of year).
2009-04-09 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2074389

User image

Veteran
Fairbanks
Artemis - 2009-04-09 11:20 AM

Marin Muirwoods
Scott Sportster P3

The Felt is the most expensive, but it is a very nice bike.  It has nicer components than any of the other one.  Out of my bro's price range, though, so the others are cheaper.  Of the remaining, the Marin was one of the best values for the money as far as components.  It does not have a front shock but the Gary Fisher and Scott do, so the Marin is a little lighter.

Hope that is helpful!  Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've actually been looking at that Gary Fisher line. There's a pretty good bike shop in town that sells that line. I'm hoping to decide this week. I really want to start riding! I haven't spent a lot of time on a bike in quite a while, so I'm a little nervous, but really looking forward to it.
2009-04-09 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Name: Valerie (firstteeth)

Story
:  All I can figure is that this is my midlife crisis!  A little over a year ago, a friend and I decided to start getting in shape before our respective vacations, so we started playing racquetball and lifting weights 2x/week (I had been lifting weights on and off for about a year).  She turned 40 Dec 1st, and I on Nov 30th.  At her birthday party I got talking to a woman who does one triathlon a year to raise money for ovarian cancer research, so I thought, well, if she can do it, maybe I can too.  So, I conned my workout partner (a non-swimmer) into doing it with me.  She is a fantastic partner for me!  

I swam competitively in 5-7th grade, and not since, although lots of water experience being born and raised in Hawaii.  I have never been able to run even 3 minutes without feeling like dying, and i have only ridden a hybrid bike recreationally (lazily at best).  I even failed gym in high school. 

I am a pediatric dentist and practice over 40 hours a week.  One of my biggest roadblocks to training is time, as I am sure it i for most people.

Family Status:  Married, with a 10 yr old daughter (who I hope will start doing some kid's triathlons so we can train together), twin 6 yr old daughters, a 4 yr old son, a great dane, a cocker spaniel, and a couple of hamsters!  We are in the middle of renovating our home (and will be for a long timeFoot in mouth), and currently it is our gym that is torn apart...of course!

Current Training
: I'm currently following (a little loosely due to time constraints) a 22 week couch to sprint plan, we are in week 13.  I just got a road bike and am anxious to get out on it, but am scared of the clipless pedals which I have only used in spin classes til now.  I am awaiting the arrival of my anger badger trainer.  We have been training indoors on my spin bike and treadmill, and at a local college pool, which unfortunately will close for the summer soon. 

Swimming is going well, running still bites but has gotten better, and biking is fine, I am just not confident of outdoors.  (fell over practising on bike very first day...and only had one foot clipped in!)

This Year's Races: U.S. Women's Triathlon Series in Naperville, IL...women only sprint to raise $ for ovarian cancer research, (apparently there is quite a contingent from our town who do this).  (this will be my first race of any sort other than those swim meets as a kid)

Weightloss: My weight peaked in dental school 15 years ago at 230, have been as low as 145 but not above 200 for the last 14 years.  Have lost 20 in the last 13 months since begining routine workouts.  At 179 currently, with a goal of 171 by the end of April...I'll set a new goal then.

Love to join you, if you'll have meCool
2009-04-09 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2074758

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
KrisSeer - 2009-04-09 5:51 PM
Artemis - 2009-04-09 11:20 AM

Marin Muirwoods
Scott Sportster P3

The Felt is the most expensive, but it is a very nice bike. It has nicer components than any of the other one. Out of my bro's price range, though, so the others are cheaper. Of the remaining, the Marin was one of the best values for the money as far as components. It does not have a front shock but the Gary Fisher and Scott do, so the Marin is a little lighter.

Hope that is helpful! Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've actually been looking at that Gary Fisher line. There's a pretty good bike shop in town that sells that line. I'm hoping to decide this week. I really want to start riding! I haven't spent a lot of time on a bike in quite a while, so I'm a little nervous, but really looking forward to it.

That Gary Fisher is the one I had been planning on getting, but ended up getting such a good deal on a road bike that I bought that instead.  If I were going to buy a commuter or hybrid, it's probably what I would get.

2009-04-09 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2074922

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
firstteeth - 2009-04-09 7:14 PM Name: Valerie (firstteeth)

Story
: All I can figure is that this is my midlife crisis! A little over a year ago, a friend and I decided to start getting in shape before our respective vacations, so we started playing racquetball and lifting weights 2x/week (I had been lifting weights on and off for about a year). She turned 40 Dec 1st, and I on Nov 30th. At her birthday party I got talking to a woman who does one triathlon a year to raise money for ovarian cancer research, so I thought, well, if she can do it, maybe I can too. So, I conned my workout partner (a non-swimmer) into doing it with me. She is a fantastic partner for me!

I swam competitively in 5-7th grade, and not since, although lots of water experience being born and raised in Hawaii. I have never been able to run even 3 minutes without feeling like dying, and i have only ridden a hybrid bike recreationally (lazily at best). I even failed gym in high school.

I am a pediatric dentist and practice over 40 hours a week. One of my biggest roadblocks to training is time, as I am sure it i for most people.

Family Status: Married, with a 10 yr old daughter (who I hope will start doing some kid's triathlons so we can train together), twin 6 yr old daughters, a 4 yr old son, a great dane, a cocker spaniel, and a couple of hamsters! We are in the middle of renovating our home (and will be for a long timeFoot in mouth), and currently it is our gym that is torn apart...of course!

Current Training
: I'm currently following (a little loosely due to time constraints) a 22 week couch to sprint plan, we are in week 13. I just got a road bike and am anxious to get out on it, but am scared of the clipless pedals which I have only used in spin classes til now. I am awaiting the arrival of my anger badger trainer. We have been training indoors on my spin bike and treadmill, and at a local college pool, which unfortunately will close for the summer soon.

Swimming is going well, running still bites but has gotten better, and biking is fine, I am just not confident of outdoors. (fell over practising on bike very first day...and only had one foot clipped in!)

This Year's Races: U.S. Women's Triathlon Series in Naperville, IL...women only sprint to raise $ for ovarian cancer research, (apparently there is quite a contingent from our town who do this). (this will be my first race of any sort other than those swim meets as a kid)

Weightloss: My weight peaked in dental school 15 years ago at 230, have been as low as 145 but not above 200 for the last 14 years. Have lost 20 in the last 13 months since begining routine workouts. At 179 currently, with a goal of 171 by the end of April...I'll set a new goal then.

Love to join you, if you'll have meCool

Hi Valerie!!  Welcome to the group. 

You might have gotten into this as a mid-life crisis, but my guess is that you'll be hooked after your first race!  It's a lot of fun and can be very addicting.  What's the date of your race?

I think falling over on your bike is kind of a rite of passage when you use clipless pedals.  We've all done it at least once.  Personally, I've done it multiple times and ended up cracking my ribs one of them.  So, you're in better shape than me!
2009-04-09 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Fairbanks
And here we have 'beginner ignorance question' #1... I think I'll keep track!

What are clipless pedals? And why do people fall over when they use them?

For that matter.... what are 'non-clipless' (or whatever they might be called) pedals?
2009-04-09 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2074998

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Race is June 14th...my 12th wedding anniversary, and I am leaving husband home with the kids.

As far as falling over with the clipless pedals, I knew i'd do it, but scratching my bike on the first day is what really hurt!  That and my pride.  My darling husband (truly) said "those seem pretty dangerous, maybe you should just get regular pedals."  Thanks for the vote of confidence honey, but I CAN do this!

2009-04-09 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
And I don't understand why they are called clipless and then people talk of being clipped in!?
2009-04-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2075006

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
KrisSeer - 2009-04-09 8:05 PM And here we have 'beginner ignorance question' #1... I think I'll keep track!

What are clipless pedals? And why do people fall over when they use them?

For that matter.... what are 'non-clipless' (or whatever they might be called) pedals?

Clipless pedals are the ones that your shoes connect to.  People tend to fall over because they can't get their feet out in time when they get to a stop sign or at the end of the driveway if a car pulls out in front of you.

Non-clipless are also called platform pedals.  Those are the ones that most bikes come with that you can just put your foot on.  I used to put toe clips on so that my foot was held in place better. 

2009-04-09 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2075026

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
firstteeth - 2009-04-09 8:18 PM And I don't understand why they are called clipless and then people talk of being clipped in!?

Weird convention from when they were first invented, I think.  People called the cages on top of platform pedals "clips" and these pedals don't have them, so they are "clipless".  Although it gets a little weird when we talk about clipping in the cleat to the pedal, that's what everyone still calls them.
2009-04-09 7:25 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Artemis's mentor group: your source for useless trivia. 
2009-04-09 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2075017

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
firstteeth - 2009-04-09 8:15 PM Race is June 14th...my 12th wedding anniversary, and I am leaving husband home with the kids.

As far as falling over with the clipless pedals, I knew i'd do it, but scratching my bike on the first day is what really hurt! That and my pride. My darling husband (truly) said "those seem pretty dangerous, maybe you should just get regular pedals." Thanks for the vote of confidence honey, but I CAN do this!

That's my mom and brother's birthday!  Easy to remember for me. 

My husband laughed histarically when I first rode them and had to grab on to the car so I could stop without falling (I was riding in our parking lot)
2009-04-09 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa

20 messages per page, so we should be on page 2 after this!

Why is it easier to eat chocolate after a stressful day than get that workout done??  Or is it just me.  Had a bike/run block scheduled for this evening...just couldn't get myself to do it and buddy was ok to skip it too darnit!

2009-04-09 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2075360

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
It's not just you.  That happens to me too.  I sometimes make bargains with myself and tell myself I can quit if I finish just 10 minutes.  Most of the time, I can finish the whole workout if I can get through 10 minutes.  Sometimes I still have to stop early.

2009-04-09 11:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Fairbanks
I think maybe we can all relate... I was so completely not into going to the gym and working out today!! Fortunately my roommate and I were going to gether (and carpooling) so I felt like I couldn't bail.

I had my first official 'run' today. The second week of the Couch to 5K now calls for 27 minutes walking and 3 minutes running. So it was a blazing quarter mile. Still, I think the plan is working. My back didn't hurt at all and my one leg muscle that always cramps (sorry, no idea what it's actually called) didn't start up until the very end. I also did some strength training, which for whatever reason I really enjoy.

In other news.... if I understand the scoring correctly, I think this may be my first post with a little colored star under my name!!
2009-04-09 11:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Fairbanks
I looked it up... I think it may be the Pectineus (if I did that link correctly, it should lead to the diagram I found it on) muscle. This one muscle, just on the left side, always cramps up when I walk long distances or run any length of time at all. Hopefully it will go away if continue training consistently.
2009-04-09 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa

Congratulations on your green star!

I hope all continues to go well with your running.  I hurt my foot and was sidelined a few weeks ago...it was very frustrating to not be able to make my body do what I wanted it to.  I am up to 35 min run/walk with intervals of 2.5 min walk/4.5min run...I am very slow, but do 2.6 miles now.

Side note, did an alaska cruise a couple of years ago...amazingly beautiful, fantastic trip...I recommend it frequently.  Although, I was obviously nowhere near Fairbanks.  Stay warm :-)

2009-04-10 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Iowa

New Avatar for me, hopefully by tonite I can earn back my old one Tongue out

Hope everyone has a Good, no, make that a Great Friday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis's Mentor Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14