Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Steelhead Course - Computrainer in London Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-26 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: Steelhead Course - Computrainer in London
Hi All!!

Multi-sport Zone in London has the Steelhead 2007 course available to ride on the computrainer.  I know it's probably not exactly the same - but it will at least give a feel for the area.

I've scheduled a 10am appointment on Saturday - so if anyone is interested in riding the course in London they will be running it.

http://multisport-zone.com/ZOM/

2009-05-26 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2173070

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: Steelhead Course - Computrainer in London

Interesting idea, but I think that I'm doing the Milton race on Sunday so I will pass. I've done Steelhead, and the bike course does not have any suprises, so I think I'm good. However, if they had the Muskoka course I'd go, as that course ate my lunch last year.

How did the ride go last weekend? I saw your thread about nutrition for a 70.3 and was wondering if the double century changed your thinking about nutrition for Steelhead? Did you find yourself short on calories?

2009-05-26 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I imagine they have Muskoka.  They seemed to be able to download any of the "IM" branded courses.... So it might be worth looking into.  (I didn't think Steelhead had any surprises - that's why I signed up for that one!! *giggling*)

Yes and no on the nutrition.  I followed what the boys did and honestly I ate a TON on the bike.  We were hammering at an average of 33k/hr for the entire ride - both days.  I had bananas, candy, subs, chocolate, etc.  I learned that I can eat lots on the bike - even if I'm not hungry.  I didn't feel bad either day - and I had lots of energy left at the end.  So I guess I did that right.  The pace was faster than my usual rides though - I'm going to start eating on rides - but not at the rate I was over the weekend....

My question now is what happens when I get off the bike and have to run with a bunch of crap in my system.... Biking with food is totally different than running with food.  I imagine the candy will continue to work - I haven't done a brick yet this year - and I've only had one run where I HAD to stop because of gut issues..... I wouldn't eat subs or bars if I had to run - I can't imagine my guts being happy with either....
2009-05-26 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
That is VERY cool!
2009-05-26 7:14 PM
in reply to: #2174094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

It sounds like your ride was good preparation for Steelhead, and if you maintained 33 kph all the way that should be a big confidence booster. I tend to stick with liquids and gels for a 70.3 and only use bars for an IM. Most people doing a 70.3 or IM describe the bike as a rolling buffet, trying to get as many easily digested calories in as possible in preparation for the calorie deficit that will occur on the run. For Steelhead I aim for a bottle of Gatorade per hour on the bike and a gel every 45 minutes washed down by water. On the run I drink Gatorade at the first aid station, gel and water at the next, and then continue alternating, although I often get sick of gels at the end and just drink the last few miles. Some marathoners and IM athletes swear by flat Coke, warm chicken broth, and pretzels late in the run, but I have not seen those at 70.3 races. You just have to experiment and see what makes your tummy happy

Edited by DaveH 2009-05-26 7:15 PM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Steelhead Course - Computrainer in London Rss Feed