Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Area Pools Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-13 8:11 AM

Subject: Toronto Area Pools
Hi I am a noob :D

I hope this is the right place to post...

I have never trained in a pool. I took swimming lessons as a teen and stopped short of lifequard training but no competitive swim training...

Any suggestions?

I guess I need to find a pool where I can swim, right?

Any west GTA members have ant suggestions for pools to do some swimming?

My other question is "rules of the pool"...

I know there are different lanes for different classes of swimmers, anything else I should know?

Thanks!

2009-06-13 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2215073

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Toronto Area Pools
Unless you belong to a gym that has one or live in a condo with one, you are probably going to have to rely on a public pool.  Many of the city's pools have an adult lap swim either in the early morning, at noon or some evenings as well as weekends.  Follow this link for Etobicoke/York and you should find a pool near you.  Call first though as the city has just started shutting a bunch down for budgetary reasons [my pool was one of the ones chosen ]

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/torontofun/fun-guide-descriptions.htm#swimming

If you are close to a university or college you can check to see if they have a pool at their athletic centre and you could likely join as a member of a community or alumni of a college.

Another option is to find a Masters club near you.  They generally meet a couple of times a week and you can learn a lot by participating.

www.mastersswimmingontario.ca

As far as rules - I think it depends on the pool but most have signs which indicate lap speed and they might even have arrows showing the direction of the swim (normally a circle).  Just check with the lifeguard on duty.

Good luck and welcome!

Edited by kimmax 2009-06-13 7:17 PM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Area Pools Rss Feed