General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new member Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-22 10:07 AM

Iowa
Subject: new member
I am intrigued with all of this. My husband is Malvey. I have to admit I was not quite sure about all of this when he started training.
I have an autoimmune disorder and gained about 50 pounds on steroids a few years ago and never got all the weight off. Now with him being so fit, I am trying to get in shape although I don't see myself as ever being able to reach the level he has. I am lucky to ride my exercise bike 30 minutes and do the stepper for 10 right now. I don't swim, have always been afraid of the water.
I was feeling a bit jealous with all the enthusisam he shows for everyone else on the tri site. I didn't understand the importance of inspiring each other. So I registered myself and thought maybe someone can start motivating me. I feel a bit foolish since I am nowhere near the fitness level everyone else is at.
Do you see any hope for me?? I have lost about 30 pounds of the 50 I gained, the last 10 in the last couple months. I know I am going in the correct direction but I could use some encouragement from you athletes!!

2004-03-22 10:28 AM
in reply to: #13672

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: new member
You have no cause to "feel foolish" because of your fitness level. With a bit of inspiration and perspiration, you will reach your own optimum fitness level. Do not compare yourself to anyone else, not even your husband. Whatever level you reach should be all the satisfaction you need to keep going. Also, if you have lost 30 pounds of the 50 you had gained, you are merely 20 lbs over the estimated weight for your height. Just keep going the way you are and you will surely succeed. Think of it in terms of percentages; you have reached 60% of your weight loss goal, now you only have 40% to go. Just remember that as you get fitter, you put on more muscle mass which weighs more than lipids so that at some point you will reach a plateau whereby losing weight is done in infintasmal amounts. (I am 30 lbs overweight according to the "official" charts but I am in better shape than most of my co-workers nonetheless!) Don't be concerned about weight; concentrate on fitness and, of course, on enjoying yourself. Nothing means anything if it is not enjoyable to some degree.
2004-03-22 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
I think you overestimate the fitness of everybody here. There are many of us in the same boat. Not looking to win any Ironman events but looking to get rid of that spare tire that crept up and have some fun in the process. Thats the great thing to me that I've found in Tri'ing is that although its an "Individual" sport the community, this site particularly, is extremely supportive and helpful. And you've taken the first step to a very healthy addiction.

Edit:
Also be sure to check out Michael Pates site http://www.whenbigboystri.com/ Although I didnt buy the book (Sorry Michael) knowing his story is what really got me thinking I could accomplish this too.

Edited by soupaman 2004-03-22 10:46 AM
2004-03-22 10:54 AM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
The Dignity of Risk
By Alison Colavecchia
9.16.02 (www.slowtwitch.com)

In life there are always two paths: the safe, more predictable one and the less travelled, risky one.

One of the greatest risks of all is to lay bare what is inside us—the stuff we’re not sure we want anyone to see or hear. To do so leaves us vulnerable to judgements, rejection and criticism. To take the risk of exposure and be respectfully and unconditionally accepted is, to me, one of the greatest gifts one human being can offer to another. It is the gift of dignity. In my view, it is also one of the greatest gifts of sport.

Sport does not protect us from ourselves. Rather it accepts us as we are, without judgement, without criticism. Sport provides us with a forum through which to grow and shine if we are willing to explore the possibility that we might fail, might have a limit. In return for pouring ourselves into whatever it is that we are pursuing, sport gives us a sampling of what it is like to live with dignity.

Within and around me there is no shortage of expectations around who I ought to be, how I ought to think and behave or which direction I ought to be headed. In the face of these, always have the choice to perform to the lowest level of expectation, stagnate or rise to my level of greatest potential. It is true that sometimes it feels as though the easiest thing to do is to do nothing or to do less than I'm capable of. Thinking this way, though, costs me greatly, for I become complacent. I begin to accept and expect less of myself. I am reduced to my lowest common denominator.

Experience and time are teaching me that in all areas of my life, the hardest things to do are very often the very things that I must do. If I am to become my best self I must take chances, tackle the hard stuff even at the risk of failing. My sporting life is helping me with this one. For as promised, just when I suspected I was weakening, to be out of the game, rejected, I have been welcomed back. I have been given the gift of dignity and grace for simply asking myself to go just a little further, just a little beyond where I previously thought myself capable. In exchange for putting myself at risk and rising to the occasion, I get to walk a little taller, feel a little more self- acceptance.

Indeed for learning to live a riskier life I get to hold my head up a little higher and look down a little less. The wonderful thing about sport is that it is not a respector of our position in the pack, it is an equal opportunity instructor. I am just as capable of personal growth whether I am in the front of the pack in the swim, middle of the pack on the bike or deep in the back of the pack on the run. For this opportunity, I need only stop protecting myself from the possibility that uncomfortable things might happen. I need only be a risk taker for a short while in order to continue along my path toward becoming my best self.

I have had this poem on my office wall and in my desk for almost a decade. I do not know who wrote it but in my old office it greeted every client who came through my door. It also daily bid me both good morning and goodnight. If I knew who wrote it I would provide appropriate kudos. Certainly if there is someone out there who knows who did, I would be grateful for the name.

“Opportunity for growth carries with it the possibility of failure. Accompanying every endeavor is the element of risk. If growth truly implies change for improvement, then it must also carry with it the chance that there will be no change, no improvement, or even failure. When a person’s environment is over-protected in such a manner that there is little or no chance for failure, then in reality there is little or no chance for real or significant success. To deprive someone of the opportunity for significant achievement because of an associated element of risk is to deprive them of their potential for growth toward a self-sufficient, progressive, and dignified state of life.”
2004-03-22 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA

Don't focus on what you haven't done...but the accomplishments you've made, no matter how small. Losing 30lbs isn't a small feat, that takes determination, discipline and motivation...so obviously you have what it takes.
One day at a time. One step at a time. One minute at a time. Whatever gets you to take that next step, do that next workout, set that next goal.
Celebrate the little successes and then post them in the forums so we can congratulate you and motivate you to go further. That's what this board is about. That's probably why your husband is so excited. I know they've helped me to go in directions I've never thought...and my first tri isn't til April!
Do it for you. Do it for that feeling inside when you realize "I did it"
I celebrate every single success and take it in, roll it around in my mouth and savor it....and then move on to the next goal.

Peruse the forums and you'll find a majority of the people made their first post with "I've never done this before and am not in shape" and then follow their progress and that's a huge motivation.

Just sharing what you've shared shows you have the spark....I say Go for it!
2004-03-22 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Go for it baby! Just for you - I'm a fan too!

2004-03-22 3:36 PM
in reply to: #13687

Iowa
What a great inspration this has been to me!! I could read this poem for my every day life as well! I needed this today. Thanks to every one! You are a great group and I am confident I can do this with all this encouragement!!
You were right trimom!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new member Rss Feed